• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 10 Cancelled Legacy of Kains (Mama Robotnik Research Thread)

Jubern

I'm not even a Legacy of Kain fan and I LOVED reading all this stuff. The cancellation of Dead Sun is truly a pity.

Your threads are always top notch, thanks for your hard work.

I'm going to be adding some further information to the OP - particularly concerning Dead Sun.

Also, one of my sources has offered to answer some questions from the community about the game - with emphasis that there may be things they simply cannot answer due to lack of knowledge or it simply not being within their field of work on the game.

If you would like to ask a question in the thread, I will see what I can do to get you some answers.

FoneBone

Why didn't the studio formally known as Silicon Knights try to kickstart a spiritual successor of this instead of ED? Would probably have been funded considering the fans of this series are a rabid underserved niche.

Silicon Knights only developed the first game, so it's not really seen as "their" series.

Cardon

I'm going to be adding some further information to the OP - particularly concerning Dead Sun.

Also, one of my sources has offered to answer some questions from the community about the game - with emphasis that there may be things they simply cannot answer due to lack of knowledge or it simply not being within their field of work on the game.

If you would like to ask a question in the thread, I will see what I can do to get you some answers.

Potential questions regarding Dead Sun:

1. Is it possible to divulge what some of the connecting plot strands may have been to the previous games, besides the emphasis on the Elder God?

2. Since some voice over/mo-cap work was done on the game, would it be possible to hint at some of the actors who were part of the project? Any familiar names within the voice acting world or was it relatively low-key actors?

3. Just how big was the open-world format of the game aiming to be in respect to size?

Excellent work once again Mama Robotnik. Even though I'm rather depressed about the cancellation of Dead Sun based on the potential it had, I'm nonetheless happy to at least learn some info about it and see what the game could've been like.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Tons of the cancelled games had promising stories to them from what I can gather it is sad they got cancelled cause this is really an intriguing universe where I would like to see more of it.

marrec

Banned
Tons of the cancelled games had promising stories to them from what I can gather it is sad they got cancelled cause this is really an intriguing universe where I would like to see more of it.

It's odd that the newest game seemed to be so far removed from the previous ones. Nosgoth is an interesting world, but what made those original games so intriguing was the character that inhabited the world.

I'm not even a Legacy of Kain fan and I LOVED reading all this stuff. The cancellation of Dead Sun is truly a pity.

Your threads are always top notch, thanks for your hard work.

Seconding this. The only Legacy of Kain game I ever beat was Soul Reaver 2 but I've always loved the feel of Nosgoth, and the art direction of this dying, decayed world is always so morbidly beautiful. Thanks, as always, for all your hard work Mama.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
It's odd that the newest game seemed to be so far removed from the previous ones. Nosgoth is an interesting world, but what made those original games so intriguing was the character that inhabited the world.

I would need to see how they manage to work their world and characters in order to form any big opinions for it. I believe they can still mention things from the other universes without affecting the story and lore of Dead Sun and managing to find a way to keep a happy medium at by referencing the characters and events from previous games even if vaguely.

vio

Very cool stuff Mama robotnik. Crazy to see how much stuff goes into development of games. I can`t believe we almost got new Legacy of Kain. Sucks for the people who worked on Dead Sun.
Considering all this it is safe to say we are not getting new LOK any time soon.

Skerj

Legacy of Kain's storyline is so deep that even the story of the canceled games is better than most actual game stories. The Chakan II reveal just obliterated my brain.
I will now proceed to infinitely cry, bitch, and moan that we're not getting Dead Sun.

Nos_G

It's a pity this ip never reached God of War levels.

Fun fact: I got my username from the first Legacy of Kain game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Mama Robotnik's source said:
The gameplay structure was influenced by Soul Reaver and Zelda. (“think if HBO made Zelda”)
They already that in 1996, it's called Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. lol

This thread is amazing. Amazing and heartbreaking.

:(
Indeed. Dead Sun, while not exactly my preference for the setting (I would ideally prefer to play Kain), seemed like a kick-ass idea. A massive dark Zelda with LoK mythos, but far ahead into the future that they won't interfere too much with LoK canon and screw things up? Yes please.

Anyone else got Dark Souls vibes seeing those screen shots?

Oh my. Can you imagine a sem-open world action-RPG with gameplay similar to Dark Souls, throw in some Zelda-like puzzles, LoK elements (such as flying, climbing, the various Reavers mechanics, and of course the Spectral world), all set in Nosgoth, with a rich and dark story and the memorable characters LoK is known for?

...Holy shit, you have a recipe for the Best Game Ever right there. Too bad it was in the hands of those complete cunts at Squeenix. :'(

Is Darksiders like LoK?
No. Darksiders is a lot more cartoony.

Why didn't the studio formally known as Silicon Knights try to kickstart a spiritual successor of this instead of ED?
Silicon Knights does not own the LoK IP.

True, but considering these characters are pretty much all immortal, I don't see why those who survived in Defiance couldn't return. Kain can live forever!

Protein

Banned
Incredible. I wonder if Blizzard would release information on Starcraft Ghost. MR's take on that would be beautiful and heartbreaking.

CamHostage

(Fun fact -- an "I Write Like" analysis of Mama Robotnik's post compares the language to that of Margaret Mitchell, author of Gone with the Wind and Dynamo Going to Waste)

Ahasverus

Did you hear that? That's my heart breaking in two

FUCK YOU SQUARE ENIX FUCK YOU SO FUCKING MUCH SELL THE DAMN IP YOU SUCKERS IT DESERVES TO LIVE FAR MORE THAN ALL YOUR SHOELWARE TRASH AND HALF ASSED ATTEMPTS, GET RID OF IT SQUARE FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

If someone does a Kickstarter for buying the IP count me the fuck in

Acosta

I'm going to cry, Dead Sun looks amazing. Why?

Incredible job Mama, thanks for it, even if it hurts (but I know it hurts you more).

jaIChtu.jpg

I'm pretty sure this text ends with "for men." Maybe it reads "...that power (?) [illegible] for men"? I'm still trying to figure out the rest.

Anyway, cool thread.

An OP to shame all others. Amazing work.

Out of this great series, what are the MUST PLAY games if I'm just getting started? Which ones hold up, which ones don't?

Ahasverus

An OP to shame all others. Amazing work.

Out of this great series, what are the MUST PLAY games if I'm just getting started? Which ones hold up, which ones don't?

Blood Omen is like a grown up Zelda but here is no definitive version sadly.
Soul Reaver is a must play. It's the best aging 3D PS game. The PC version is the definitive of course.
SR2 is a must play if you liked 1
BO2 is the worst.
If you made it to Defiance I bet you are already in love with the story so it's of course a must play.

Gunsmithx

Great work Mama as always.

This really breaks my heat to see all the cancelled titles, I had such fond memories of Blood Omen and loved the soul rever series, but man this really highlights what a Frankenstein this whole series is.

I do wonder if the fact the series had so many stop and starts is part of what led Amy to move to ND as well.

Is the series over or what's the deal with that Nosgoth game coming out?

Edit: No, no.... Dead Sun's MP may be War of Nosgoth. Come on, devs. We want a SP game. Getting tired of putting great franchises like these and giving them crapola MP only games.

Jac_Solar

I'm pretty sure this text ends with "for men." Maybe it reads "...that power (?) [illegible] for men"? I'm still trying to figure out the rest.

Anyway, cool thread.

Context: "[Did you honestly] believe that you [were the only vampire in Nosgoth?] You are [just] a minor pawn whose powers pale in comparison to [???]. Yes, I am also a [vampire]. Your [great] flaw, my good [???], is that you have a soul. You have a conscience that [powers] your [???] to survive. I do not have that [devotion? potion? poison?]. I [???] for [men]."

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
^ Some of those were already deciphered in the OP, btw. Here it is again, with my own semi-interpretation in bold:

"Did you really believe that you were the only vampire in Nosgoth? You are just a minor pawn whose powers pale in comparison to my mine."

Oh yes. I am also a vampire. Your greatest flaw my good Kain is that you have a soul. You have a conscience that hinders your will to survive. I do not have that [power? poison? [???ril?] for men/Kain.]

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
All of the LoK games on GOG are on sale. Soul Reaver 1 and 2, Blood Omen 2, and Defiance. $2.99 each. Here's a link for SR.

Buy these.
Negative, Blood Omen 1 isn't, and it's arguably the most important one. :p It's available on PSN, though.

(I won't buy them cause I already own all of these games except Bob Omen 2 the travesty that does not exist much like Highlander 2...)

Fou-Lu

This thread is amazing and painful. This series needs to have a game come to fruitition again.

I am kind of sad that Chakan never got a real sequel, as frustrating as the first game was, it had an amazing atmosphere.

Poor Climax. :( They always seem to get awesome projects that get ripped away from them half way into development. Warhammer Online was the first game project I ever followed.

is this a special case or does this kind of waste always happen in the games industry?

random speculation time: I think it might even be a particularly productive use of created assets compared to the overall implied level of "waste".

Almost all of them (as far as Mama Robotnik's list goes) are in some form used in another title in the series, which I can't imagine to be all that common, since most projects are likely canned "for good" (new ip's, prototypes, etc) and unusable for other projects.

The changing attitude towards projected sales and its importance on the whole proces may have increased it though, looking at the last two projects.

I do wonder why S-E cancelled Dead Sun after three seemingly succesful years of development, yet did not cancel the troubled five year development of Thief (thief 4). My guess would be genre approximation: Dota 2 and Dishonored respectively, whereas Dead Sun has no immediate AAA-genre title to compare with. Well, had, anyway. :(

/ random speculation

excellent work once again, Mama Robotnik.

Voror

I take back what I said earlier. I would have loved if Dead Sun had come to fruition even if it is odd not to have Kain as the main character. And what little is there about what they were going for at least gave the impression that they understood some of the themes and the importance of story in the series.

I just don't understand how you can go and take a series with such great story and potential and then just go an cancel the single player game, releasing the multiplayer only. It's just such a waste and given how much Climax were putting into it makes it even worse.

Although it has been amazing what the previous teams were able to do with incorporating the material of other games into this series. Rather admirable really. What is Amy Hennig doing these days anyway? I know she went to Naughty Dog, but was she on The Last of Us or potentially what the other team is doing?

Top Bottom