• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Chiggs said:
I sort of agree with this sentiment. The New Vegas map is sort of cheap with the way it uses unexplorable terrain.

I prefer FNV to F3, but I agree with you here. In the latter you could literally push right up to edge of the map; in the former an entire chunk of the displayed map is inaccessible (the west side). However! The urban area of DC was really just generally small areas, blocked in by large - vertical barriers. I think that decision by Bethesda made it seem like the playable city area was much larger than it really was.

F4 needs to be a joint Obsidian/Bethesda project, with one group designing the factions, weapons, story and NPCs, and the other designing the map. I think with the way the franchise is going, with the emphasis on dangerous exploration, map/building design is just as important as any other part of the game.

SO it is only up to Level 30 maximum!! damn I wish I knew this! I would've spread out my SKILLS points (or whatever they are called) more evenly.

I have an important question about the companions: Exactly how many companions can you take along with you? I started with Cass, then I got Rex, I ran into
the doc (Arcade??) in the Tent at the "Followers" Fort in Freeside. but he refused to join me, because I already have Cass and the cyberpup with me.
. Then I thought I could get
Lilly the Nightkin to join me on the Nightcrawler cave missions, again, She also refused me for the same reason. "Three is a crowd".

I never met "Boon" yet and I'm guessing you can only take one human/mutant and Rex with you maximum all the time (unless you use a mod!?!) How can I get more companions to join me?

There is no way in hell I am letting go of Cass or Rex (the Cyber dog) they are the best companions in the wasteland, it's like we are one small family :lol they are way too overprotective of me, they fight well, they never die and best of all they are always carrying my junk/weapons around for me.

bonesmccoy said:
F4 needs to be a joint Obsidian/Bethesda project, with one group designing the factions, weapons, story and NPCs, and the other designing the map. I think with the way the franchise is going, with the emphasis on dangerous exploration, map/building design is just as important as any other part of the game.
Don't forget the most important bit: for the love of your deity of choice, don't re-use the gamebryo engine!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Beat the game without killing anything. Great ending. i went Independent and liked that i could basically use diplomacy to talk everyone down at the end.

My stats right before the end..
inh6dc.jpg

There were two or three more quests i could have completed. One being the Bleed Me Dry quest with the eggs. i actually finished it by sneaking to all the objectives.. BUT i must have walked over a mantis on the first leg and didnt notice until 3 hours later so i said "Fuck it" and just reloaded before that quest and finished the game out :lol Tack on another 5-6 dialog successes for using Barter with Red Lucy and i broke 200 dialog checks.. woohoo! :lol

Game was great start to finish. NV basically takes Fallout 2 and runs with it.. more factions, more ways to complete things, more enemies, etc.. The only quest where i was disappointed with the ending was the one for the Van Grafs..
there was no option to save Cassidy so i had to skip it to keep my pacifist playthrough in check

Also nice to see Lockpicking balanced out in New Vegas. In FO3 Science is fairly useless because 90% of all the computer terminals just unlock what could be picked. There were so many skill checks for Science in NV though.. it seems that the Science Boy walkthrough that the one guy who did the FO2 guide talked about cutting finally made its way into a Fallout game.

Of all the companion quests i think Arcades was my favorite. Really nice especially with what it leads to. i couldnt do Rauls or ED-Es though because i already did the stuff that triggered their quests by the time i hit 30. Oh well, maybe next time.

i think my final playtime was 51 hours. Add another 2-3 for that Thorn Egg quest and another 10 or so for exploring everywhere and looting all the places (i had no need since wtf was i going to do with a unique weapon :lol) and 70 hours is most definitely possible.

Time to put NV away for a bit. i already did a couple incomplete playthroughs before i decided to do a pacifist run so ive easily put in 100 hours since i picked NV up.

Thanks Obsidian and thanks Bethesda for not hogging the franchise (and using it wisely) for bringing out the best rpg in years.

Bedtime :lol

edit: oh! Most standout moment.. was about House...
thinking he was that Elder Elijah that Veronica was talking about only to find out that he really is House from Pre-War times. All shriveled up and sickly. i felt bad about letting him live but i didnt want to kill him
:lol

kevm3

I enjoy this way more than Fallout 3. At first the smaller map concerned me, but then again I didn't particularly care to explore most of the desolate settings in FO3. I prefer the smaller, tighter experience of NV by a good deal.

Ploid 3.0

When I first saw the map I was sure that it would expand the more you explored. I thought that strip area was just one city, boy was I wrong. The arrows didn't do a good job conveying the scale. It made me look too big until I got out there and started traveling to far places.

And that do no harm run is amazing. Congratz man.

Marvie_3

Banned
AndyMoogle said:
Uh, what? There are hundreds of locations in NV, just like in F3, so I don't know what that's supposed to mean.
Notice where I said unmarked locations. :D

bonesmccoy said:
I prefer FNV to F3, but I agree with you here. In the latter you could literally push right up to edge of the map; in the former an entire chunk of the displayed map is inaccessible (the west side). However! The urban area of DC was really just generally small areas, blocked in by large - vertical barriers. I think that decision by Bethesda made it seem like the playable city area was much larger than it really was.

Agreed. I'm sure I'll end up picking up NV again once the GOTY edition comes out with all the DLC, but I can't see myself sticking with it for much longer. The awesome exploration I got with F3 just isn't there with NV.

Aesius

25 hours and still haven't visited the strip. Still overwhelmed.

The only thing that concerns me is that I'm now level 22. Really wish the level cap was higher :(

Just a heads up, if your carrying a lot of the following there are scripts running continually for each instance of the item which will tank your performance.

Star bottle cap
12 gauge coin shot
50MG incendiary

So turn in the star caps as soon as you can, and only carry the minimum amount of coin/incendiary ammo you need, put the rest in a safe.

Aesius said:
25 hours and still haven't visited the strip. Still overwhelmed.

The only thing that concerns me is that I'm now level 22. Really wish the level cap was higher :(

Just download the level cap mod and don't worry about it. Even after doing mostly all of the quests in the game and visiting all of the locations I'm about level 34. It won't break the game and downloading it will make you feel better and make you want to explore.

TTG

I'm gonna go see what's up with the black mountain stuff next(at level 15 right now, hopefully that's high enough). But nobody in the game has mentioned anything about it... are there any important quests that deal with it? What loot should I be looking for and where can I find it?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
This game is going to be traded to me on Goozex within the next few days. So level with me... how bad are the bugs (360 version)?

Are they happening to EVERYONE, or are some people bug-free? Are they game breaking, or just annoying?

Lastly, any word on a title update yet?

Edit: I guess what I really want to know if it is a problem if someone isn't picky. There have been other games described as "very buggy" that I had no problem with. But if it truly IS a mess...

Ferrio

Banned
Well caps no longer a problem, have 32000 of them. Heh. Too bad my "my character sucks in combat" problem isn't fixed.

Marvie_3

Banned
GDJustin said:
This game is going to be traded to me on Goozex within the next few days. So level with me... how bad are the bugs (360 version)?

Are they happening to EVERYONE, or are some people bug-free? Are they game breaking, or just annoying?

Edit: I guess what I really want to know if it is a problem if someone isn't picky. There have been other games described as "very buggy" that I had no problem with. But if it truly IS a mess...
I've been pretty bug free on 360. I've put in about 80 hours and had maybe 2 freezes. There's been minor bugs here and there but nothing game breaking.

NoRéN

GDJustin said:

I agree with Marv, too. Yeah, it's frozen on me a few times. I lost a few minutes of gameplay. Then, the patches came out. After that, only one freeze. It possibly had to do with a 4 hour game session in 80 degree California heat.

If you want to focus on the negative comments, go ahead. Just scroll to the top of this page. There's a comment for ya. Read it and it makes it seem like this game is this unenjoyable, buggy mess that cannot even be started properly.

You'll be fine. Patch it up. Save often. Enjoy
Oh, and come back to the thread often. Damn helpful bunch of cowboy robot lovin' couriers in here. :D

projekt84

Decided to end the game where I was at.

Went Independent and took our Legion + NCR

Hardcore, Very Hard Mode, Melee build. I took about 10,000 stimpaks for my build, and had 1 Agility so I ran at a snail's pace everywhere.

Great game. Although now that I beat it I don't have the same motivation to do my sharpshooter and pacifist build.

Lakitu

st5fu
360 version here, I've had two or three crashes. Two of those involved trying to purchase stuff from a travelling merchant at the Mojave Outpost.

And then there are the glitches I had. It wasn't too bad but I lost about an hours worth of gameplay. It's always best to have two saves, one current, and one back-up and alternate between the two so that if you lose something, or something goes unexpected, you'll have a back-up to fall on. Plus you'll have the auto-save feature.

Ok guys I have a VERY CRUCIAL question to ask, I want to guarantee the answer before I go ahead and do something stupid and jeopardize my amazing New Vegas adventures so far.

I think I am about 75% into the game, if not more, I put in 92 hours already....yes 92 freakin hours of play..because I cannot stop myself from doing every single side quest and every single (optional) quest of those side quests. It's just too damn fun, such an amazing world.

So here's my first question, I'm kinda getting bored of Cass, she's great and I want to finish her "Caravan" whatever quest, but evey time I pick the "talk" option with her on my Companion wheel, she gets pissed off at me, as if I tried to grab her ass or something...so once she started the argument and it ended up her just walking away..and as soon as that happened the game said "Caravan quest failed" whatever..

Anyway I went back to a recent save and prevented that from happening again. My question is.. I want to giver Boon or Arcade or Lilly a try
( I think I already killed Veronica, was she a Fiend with the dogs??)
but without the cost of totally losing Cass. it was mentioned here before you can reunite with Boon back in No Vac(ancy) even after you tell him to "take a hike". is there a way I can "put Cass in a pickle jar" so to speak.
I really want to try other companions even try the "ED-!?" robot instead of Rex if I still can.

And whats with her always being angry when I try to talk to her??? is that some kind of a glitch? or did I do something that made her permanently pissed. I mean whats wrong with this bitch?
We even raided and slaughtered the Van Graffs and their goons at the Silver Rush: Mickey and Malory style ... got the ultimate revenge on them gangsters just so this bitch can be happy but she's still mad, whats up with that???
Please if you have any answers.

jax (old)

Banned
EricHasNoPull said:
Ok guys I have a VERY CRUCIAL question to ask, I want to guarantee the answer before I go ahead and do something stupid and jeopardize my amazing New Vegas adventures so far.

I think I am about 75% into the game, if not more, I put in 92 hours already....yes 92 freakin hours of play..because I cannot stop myself from doing every single side quest and every single (optional) quest of those side quests. It's just too damn fun, such an amazing world.

So here's my first question, I'm kinda getting bored of Cass, she's great and I want to finish her "Caravan" whatever quest, but evey time I pick the "talk" option with her on my Companion wheel, she gets pissed off at me, as if I tried to grab her ass or something...so once she started the argument and it ended up her just walking away..and as soon as that happened the game said "Caravan quest failed" whatever..

Anyway I went back to a recent save and prevented that from happening again. My question is.. I want to giver Boon or Arcade or Lilly a try
but without the cost of totally losing Cass. it was mentioned here before you can reunite with Boon back in No Vac(ancy) even after you tell him to "take a hike". is there a way I can "put Cass in a pickle jar" so to speak.
I really want to try other companions even try the "ED-!?" robot instead of Rex if I still can.

I mean you went back a save... so couldn't you have tried to let cass go, tested to see if you can get her again?

answer
yes you can. You can send rex/cass..etc away. They either return to where you found them or the Lucky 38 home base

dwebo

EricHasNoPull said:
I want to giver Boon or Arcade or Lilly a try
but without the cost of totally losing Cass.
That wasn't Veronica. :lol She's at the
188(?) Trading Post between Boulder City and the Strip.
She's a fun companion - go pick her up!

Thanks for the swift reply Jax, I think I will do that, damn!! wish I tried the other guys earlier, I've pretty much played the 60% of the game with Rex and Cass, time to change it up! So what about Veronica? is it too late to pick her? is she who I think she was? Thanks again

EDIT: HaHa!! thanks dwebo, guess I'll give her a whirl too, had just about enough of that Country/Caravan girl's attitude, her and her foul mouth "We're hunting Shit heads" time for a new companion!:D

Nose Master

Man, siding with
Legion
absolutely sucks.
You're doing the same shit as all the other choices (Brotherhood, White Glove, Boomers, etc) but everyone ends up hating you. I'm pretty sure that Lucy is the only companion that you can have if you go Legion.
I might just be getting fatigued, though. Think I'm gonna try to wrap this thing up tomorrow. 70 or so hours is about my Fallout limit, it seems :lol

Especially when 90% of the map (even unexplored areas) already hates you because you're with Legion.

Solo

duckroll said:
Solo, I wish you had believed in the PC version. :(

ducky, I wish I had built a new PC since 2005 :(

Waiting until 2012 for that. Want to be able to run Crysis 2, Rage, Doom 4, etc. with everything going at a good clip. So for now, Im stuck to filthy slow-ass consoles.

water_wendi said:
Beat the game without killing anything. Great ending. i went Independent and liked that i could basically use diplomacy to talk everyone down at the end.

Congrats! You've got way more patience than me. I can't even imagine making it to level 30 without losing my temper with someone and wasting them, especially some of the arseholes in this game :lol

bonesmccoy said:

Completely agree with this.

mjemirzian said:
Don't forget the most important bit: for the love of your deity of choice, don't re-use the gamebryo engine!

And this.

Edit: Hmm ... joint Obsidian, Bethesda, id Software project maybe.

Nose Master said:
I might just be getting fatigued, though. Think I'm gonna try to wrap this thing up tomorrow...

same. now going for the
yes man
ending, & i'm pretty wasted, & thinking that the multiple lock-ups, load times, & slowdowns have as much to do with it as anything. i've had fun, but playing the game is steadily approaching chore level for me, & i'd rather finish with good memories :) ...

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Lakitu said:
360 version here, I've had two or three crashes. Two of those involved trying to purchase stuff from a travelling merchant at the Mojave Outpost.

And then there are the glitches I had. It wasn't too bad but I lost about an hours worth of gameplay. It's always best to have two saves, one current, and one back-up and alternate between the two so that if you lose something, or something goes unexpected, you'll have a back-up to fall on. Plus you'll have the auto-save feature.

360 version here, 98 hours in. It's very buggy, worse than FO3 in my opinion, even post patch. I get a lock up every other play session on average (when the game attempts to load but freezes (the roulette wheel that spins on the loading screen stops rotating - I've waited up to 20 minutes to see if the game will un-stick itself, but I've always had to do a hard reset of the console and start the game again). I've had one corrupted save pre-patch, but thank god that problem hasn't reappeared.

The worst bugs for me are the disappearing, but still there, companions. One of my companions vanished (I think it's probably stuck on some geometry, but that's just a guess), and has never returned to my central base where the companions return when you dismiss them. I'm unable to swap the companion out for another since I can't formally dismiss it (as I can't find it to do so; it's invisible). Given that some of the best quests are companion related and what you chose to do with them has an impact on the end-game, I think these are basically "game should not ship" bugs.

And wow, the clipping, so incredibly bad, it's funny. And if frame rate really matters to you, stay far away from this game. I'm usually oblivious to frame rate slowdowns, but in some areas of New Vegas, I can't help but notice that I appear to be watching a slide show. People who are more serious about frame rate, like Amirox, would probably have a seizure if they played this game. And then there's that unreachable room in a train tunnel. Why is it unreachable? Because you will fall through the floor if you try to enter it and will get dropped at the end of the tunnel.

That said, I'm still 98 hours in, so I'm obviously deriving some enjoyment out of the game. But you will really need to be a fan of the universe to overlook how buggy New Vegas is. It's buggier than FO3, which is saying a lot.

Minsc

Gold Member
Solo said:
ducky, I wish I had built a new PC since 2005 :(

Waiting until 2012 for that. Want to be able to run Crysis 2, Rage, Doom 4, etc. with everything going at a good clip. So for now, Im stuck to filthy slow-ass consoles.

Thanks to this console generation seemingly never ending, you should be able to run all those games more than fine with today's stuff.

anddo0

semiconscious said:
same. now going for the
yes man
ending, & i'm pretty wasted, & thinking that the multiple lock-ups, load times, & slowdowns have as much to do with it as anything. i've had fun, but playing the game is steadily approaching chore level for me, & i'd rather finish with good memories :) ...

Ditto- I'm going to start wrapping things up tonight starting with the
NCR
ending. I've set up my save files to allow me to get all ending with minimal effort.

I have very mixed feelings about this game. It brought some improvements to the table (hardcore mode, multilayered quests etc...). But, at it's core it was still FO3. I was fine with that until the lockups and crashes started.. To date I've had more than 30+ crashes (no exaggeration). I have no idea what long terms effect this will have on my PS3. It can't be good. The only reason I've decided to finish, is because of all the hours I've already poured in (120 and counting). I think once I'm done, I'm done.... Getting rid of this next week. I'm never purchasing another Obsidain/Bethseda game day one again.. Game should have never been released in it's current state.

zon

bonesmccoy said:

Throw ID into the mix and I'd be very excited about such a project. Otherwise it will just be one huge bugfest with horrible animations.

luxarific said:
The worst bugs for me are the disappearing, but still there, companions. One of my companions vanished (I think it's probably stuck on some geometry, but that's just a guess), and has never returned to my central base where the companions return when you dismiss them. I'm unable to swap the companion out for another since I can't formally dismiss it (as I can't find it to do so; it's invisible). Given that some of the best quests are companion related and what you chose to do with them has an impact on the end-game, I think these are basically "game should not ship" bugs...

definitely should've mentioned this in my last post - my single most-hated bug. i've ended up constantly, reflexively checking to see if my companions are following me for maybe the last 20-30 hrs worth of playing, which is pretty moronic & truly bullshit...

Wallach

Kurtofan said:
What's a DT?
Seems pretty useless to max it,am I right?

DT is Damage Threshold (aka armor). Going from 5 CHA to 10 CHA for example would mean any of your companions would do +25 DAM per hit and would take 5 less damage per attack against them. I would not invest into CHA if you don't really rely on your companions in combat.

Kurtofan

Wallach said:
DT is Damage Threshold (aka armor). Going from 5 CHA to 10 CHA for example would mean any of your companions would do +25 DAM per hit and would take 5 less damage per attack against them. I would not invest into CHA if you don't really rely on your companions in combat.
Well I rely a bit on them,but too much.I do use a lot of Speech mode though.
I just wanted to know because I maxed up Charisma and Intelligence and I wondered what they were actually doing :lol
I finished the game so they seem a bit useless now.

Dyno

Kurtofan said:
What's a DT?
Seems pretty useless to max it,am I right?

Damage Threshold. It's nice to have high.

Obviously high Charisma is desirable for a Diplomatic character. As an added bonus you will also get more caps when you trade. It adds up over time. If you're not making a character like that then it's not necessary to have it high. Just make sure no Perk you want down the line requires a Charisma of 5 or 6. They are out there.

Kurtofan

Dyno said:
Damage Threshold. It's nice to have high.

Obviously high Charisma is desirable for a Diplomatic character. As an added bonus you will also get more caps. If you're not making a character like that then it's not necessary to have it high. Just make sure no Perk you want down the line requires a Charisma of 5 or 6. They are out there.
I'm a diplomatic guy...but you can't reason with giant radscorpions :s

shuri

Banned
I invaded (or rather pissed off the guards into opening up the gate) the gunrunners HQ's, slaughetered everyone inside, and got some sweet ass assault rifle worth 2000 caps from one of the guy inside. I bought 700 armor percing rounds from the robot just outside, and I'm now walkign around feeling like Robocop :lol

I found this outpost with those two giant statues mdae out of scrap metal in the south-west area of the map. Sadly, it turned out to be some sort of NCR outpost, and i got ganged up by at least 5-6 guys with service rifles, and some sort of lady that looked like the drill instructor in Police Academy.

I used the cars as cover, and eventually slaughtered them all using my trusty bumper sword. Ahh, Victory.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Thanks guys.

JodyAnthony said:
wow at the no kills. that blows my mind. I need to try that!
It wasnt difficult at all. Thats not bragging or anything, its just the truth. Doing a pacifist run isnt really a challenge with NV because the game is designed where a no-kill playthrough is a valid path to completion.

i think my next game is going to be me killing everything i see, from Doc Mitchell to the end guy :lol If i can complete the game by doing no quests and murdering every man, woman and gecko i see i will be really impressed.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
water_wendi said:
Thanks guys.

It wasnt difficult at all. Thats not bragging or anything, its just the truth. Doing a pacifist run isnt really a challenge with NV because the game is designed where a no-kill playthrough is a valid path to completion.

i think my next game is going to be me killing everything i see, from Doc Mitchell to the end guy :lol If i can complete the game by doing no quests and murdering every man, woman and gecko i see i will be really impressed.
Please for the love of god do a blog of sorts with slightly in-depth updates/screens. I would love to read that.

Top Bottom