• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jira

I hope they keep the optional level boost to 30 in. I'd like to boost a few characters to get better access to skills for some proper WvW play. Not to mention it'd be a ton easier to test out all the professions to see which one I like to play first come launch.

I was told that was a press only thing.

I hope they keep the optional level boost to 30 in. I'd like to boost a few characters to get better access to skills for some proper WvW play. Not to mention it'd be a ton easier to test out all the professions to see which one I like to play first come launch.

Maybe we'll finally get Asura and Sylvari to play with? Wishful thinking.

I'd love for that to be the case, though I'm not getting my hopes up.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It's pretty much a given that it will only be a "this is what you can do" and having it not exceed anything that was already offered prior in closed betas. This is the first official chance that players can see for themselves what it will be like without the chain & ball of an NDA hanging over ArenaNet and the players.

As I said, something mundane.

Jira

It's pretty much a given that it will only be a "this is what you can do" and having it not exceed anything that was already offered prior in closed betas. This is the first official chance that players can see for themselves what it will be like without the chain & ball of an NDA hanging over ArenaNet and the players.

As I said, something mundane.

Agreed, anything more would actually be a surprise, but I'm not expecting it as nice as it would be to play all 5 races. At this point the other two races have to have their 1-20 finished, hell Game Informer got to play the Sylvari in their May issue so why not test the 1-20 like the other races? I understand keeping a wrap on the higher level content/story stuff if there's some kind of big spoiler to be had, but at this point I have to ask when are we gonna be able to play the midgets and salads?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Agreed, anything more would actually be a surprise, but I'm not expecting it as nice as it would be to play all 5 races. At this point the other two races have to have their 1-20 finished, hell Game Informer got to play the Sylvari in their May issue so why not test the 1-20 like the other races? I understand keeping a wrap on the higher level content/story stuff if there's some kind of big spoiler to be had, but at this point I have to ask when are we gonna be able to play the midgets and salads?

Dude. ANet has the dinner plan backwards. You get the steak and dessert before you get your freaking appetizer and salads.

nataku

Wonder how many months it will run for. Can see folks raging about only getting a couple beta weekends out of this whole thing..... unless the game is not hitting till Fall

Eh, I'd be a lot more upset if the BWE's extend past the 4+ mark, personally. If we only got a couple and then the game was released I'd be ecstatic.

Orayn

I'm now contemplating skipping a Magic prerelease to get more precious hours of beta. And I have a paper due the following Tuesday. Cool. :/

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm positive those choices only affect your personal story, and not what you can equip. I forget what podcast it was exactly, but an ANet employee said that those choices will affect the story at various points in the personal story and that there are a ton of them throughout the story. The branches aren't just limited to the number of choices they have you make at character creation.

It might have been the latest Game Informer podcast.

EDIT: I believe this is the podcast. About 15 minutes in.

Thanks for the info. I kinda wish it affected certain types of armors you got to an extent only because I like when story impacts gameplay to a point (in this case, only aesthetically for the certain item you choose).

It's unclear at this point. The Kodan (a race of walking polar Bearmen) believe that the Norn are failed kodan "who have forgotten their place as judges and protectors of the balance, and that is why their true "bear" form has been replaced with a fragile, furless state." That's really the only origin we know.

Thanks, that makes the norn seem a lot more interesting. I kinda want to make a norn because I love snowy areas but I think my main is going to be an asura mesmer. I think.

This is part of the Guardian's Biography and (as near as I can tell) really only affects your character's appearance. It just means you start with x instead of y. All of the professions appear to have one (Warrior helm, Ranger Pet, Mesmer Mask, Elementalist Circlet, etc.)

Those specific ones only determine your starting parameter. However, there are several other questions asked during character creation that have bearing on your Personal Story. Here's a good link about it; http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Biography

At least it affects your starting parameter, but like I said, I think it would be cool if that one item you chose was the one item that was restricted to your character based on your choice. I think ANet went with the safer option of not having a restriction like that (to which I can understand completely) but it's something that I personally wouldn't have minded.

I still love ya! Just don't spend too long at the customization screen...

Heres hoping you can download it on tine

Yea I'm hoping we can download before I leave on the 25th (stupid conference). I may have to just run with default and try out as many classes as possible. It'll be torture reading GAF's impressions knowing you all will be playing while i sit through statistical analysis/research seminars...

Jira

Yea I'm hoping we can download before I leave on the 25th (stupid conference). I may have to just run with default and try out as many classes as possible. It'll be torture reading GAF's impressions knowing you all will be playing while i sit through statistical analysis/research seminars...

You could always use LogMeIn to remote in and download it if you have to leave before they send the link.

Jira

The other day I saw someone who talked about the Karma changes before that leaked out among other things. One of the other things they said is Lion's Arch was now in the Beta. If it is in the BWE, I'm unsure how much time I'll spend outside of it. I can't say I've ever been excited for a city in a game before.

DJIzana

The other day I saw someone who talked about the Karma changes before that leaked out among other things. One of the other things they said is Lion's Arch was now in the Beta. If it is in the BWE, I'm unsure how much time I'll spend outside of it. I can't say I've ever been excited for a city in a game before.

I feel the same way... I get a harsh Chrono Cross vibe when I see Lions Arch which is an amazing thing, my all time favorite game.

Jira

Wait, who owns Lion's Arch now?

"The Free City of Lion's Arch is a pirating city in Kryta where the architecture has been described as mostly overturned boats and other old re-purposed nautical equipment. Once the seat of power and the main trading city of Kryta, Lion's Arch was destroyed by flood when Orr rose from the ocean. After the flood water receded, it was rebuilt by mercenaries and corsairs, where it still exists today as a melting pot to fighters of all races. Along with being a place where all races gather, Lion's Arch is best known for salvage and uncovering ancient artifacts of the past."

"The Free City of Lion's Arch is a pirating city in Kryta where the architecture has been described as mostly overturned boats and other old re-purposed nautical equipment. Once the seat of power and the main trading city of Kryta, Lion's Arch was destroyed by flood when Orr rose from the ocean. After the flood water receded, it was rebuilt by mercenaries and corsairs, where it still exists today as a melting pot to fighters of all races. Along with being a place where all races gather, Lion's Arch is best known for salvage and uncovering ancient artifacts of the past."

And those of you who have read the books, especially Guild Wars: Ghosts of Ascalon...one name: Dougal Keene!

Achtius

What profession is he suppose to be anyways? It was never specified in the book, I assume that is because only a handful were announced at that point.

Retro

What profession is he suppose to be anyways? It was never specified in the book, I assume that is because only a handful were announced at that point.

Warrior, I would guess. He doesn't seem to use anything that resembles magic. Maybe thief. I personally dislike when game-based fiction goes out of its way to use in-game terms, so I'm fine not knowing. Something like Necromancy obviously needs to be described, but everyday "Guys with swords" doesn't really need a name.

DJIzana

Hahaha we think the same brotha!

Glad I'm not alone on that one, it TOTALLY reminds me of Termina! *Goes and listens to CC soundtrack again.*

I'll definitely be spending a *lot* of time there too. Hopefully I can join the same server as all the other people on GAF do. :D

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Alright guys, I'm giving into
The hype. What are some must-watch videos I just HAVE to watch to further hype myself? I'm watching the Yogscast videos and they're so ridiculous, SO MANY TRAITS AND SKILLS AND OMFG HOLY SHITBALLS. Elementialist alone can use like 200 different friggin skills an traits, madness. So tell me what else to watch/read until I explode from the hype, or post what you're mosy looking for yourself. Hit me with your best shot.

Arken2121

The hype. What are some must-watch videos I just HAVE to watch to further hype myself? I'm watching the Yogscast videos and they're so ridiculous, SO MANY TRAITS AND SKILLS AND OMFG HOLY SHITBALLS. Elementialist alone can use like 200 different friggin skills an traits, madness. So tell me what else to watch/read until I explode from the hype, or post what you're mosy looking for yourself. Hit me with your best shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC_ig73aMs

This is old but it still helps to have a better understanding of the game. Works really well.

Jira

Have you read my thread?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1058358-Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated-READ-ME!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So I'm going to pre-purchase tonight after I finish homework. Once the details come out, which will be tomorrow - perfect in time since we're doing the podcast - we should choose a server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom