• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

bremon

I agree with Blighttown's level design being on point, but the framerate on PS3 absolutely ruined it for me, and I don't generally notice framerate issues.

5-2 is fine once you're used to it, but the Gutter is junk. Just a boardwalk in a cave leading down to a myriad of spitting statues. Completely uninspired. Farron Keep at least had the 3 flames to extinguish. Catacombs had the bridge set piece and skelly swarm that were memorable.

Manu

Just beat Nameless King on this run. No shield (first time doing this in DS3,) just two-handed uchigatana. Took a lot longer than I expected. Considering my previous char killed him in on two attempts, I felt like I was playing the game for the first time again this time around. Ended up taking me about 10 tries but it was oh so satisfying.

I only regret I changed my body armor for this fight, but being able to take three hits from NK instead of two makes a world of difference.

Anyway, that's 10 hours 45 minutes, only the DLCs and Soul of Cinder left. Good time for a first time no-shield run, especially considering I'm kind of shit at the game.

Toxi

Banned
Poor
Sister Friede
really can't handle summons. Just gets stun-locked if people know what they're doing.

Though it's still pretty fun if there's just two of you.

Ferr986

Not gonna watch because I've spoiled myself enough, but how does the spell work?

She does two horizontal slashes with the fan. It has an almost instant cast but it's enough to roll if you see it coming, also the second hit has a slight delay for rolling , it's kinda like a Greatsword.
I dunno if you get stunned with the first hit because the player only got hit while blocking or just the second hit. It did a fair bit of damage to him considering he blocked it but dunno how many HP he has and how the damage will translate when used by the player (like Corona... lol).

Range is also good (better than what it may looks) and the spell looks pretty cool because there's a lot of fire following the fan.

The only worry is how worth will it be if you already have an Onyx Greatsword.

TL;DR: It's a slower, harder hitting Farron Flashsword.

To get Moonlight Arrows...does Greirat need to survive Irithyl or can I pick up his ashes and give them to 'Ello Ashen One?

If I do need to get him to survive, and I've already cleared Cathedral + killed Abyss Bros, is their a way to salvage it if I haven't talked to Siegward at all.

RiggyRob

What's the best way to get Large Titanite Shards before Catacombs for dealing with the Dancer? Trying to use a +4 Longsword on a SL1 run is not working out.

Jombie

What's the best way to get Large Titanite Shards before Catacombs for dealing with the Dancer? Trying to use a +4 Longsword on a SL1 run is not working out.

There's not many large early game before catacombs. You can trade a firebomb with the crows and a crystal lizard drops one where the stray demon in Farron is.

*the giants in the cathedral drop one a piece.

Man I hate Friede.

Aw, man, she's a cool boss. The aesthetics and music are pretty good, but a few of her attacks do feel ludicrously OP.

I may be defending her because I am doing a Friede build atm in co op with Vilhelm and its supee fun. She melts the Abyss Watchers so fast its not fair.

Manu

She's a cool boss by herself. The second phase is bullshit.

I've died so many times where I couldn't even tell what was going on.

She's a cool boss by herself. The second phase is bullshit.

I've died so many times where I couldn't even tell what was going on.

Yeah. I could have gone for Friede being two phases (Normal + Blackflame) and Ariandel being his own thing. The two of them together....visually it's great (the cutscene shot of them standing amidst the flames got me hyped as fuck) but it's too chaotic. Makes the Demon Bat stuff in Ringed City interesting, how From's approach to multi target battles has evolved and changed.

Manu

Ended up summoning Gael and we got her on our first try working together after dying so many times.

Anyway...

zaKbSxJ.gif

Playtime: 13 hours, 27 minutes. Level 86.

Ready for The Ringed City.

Jombie

With Friede, patience is key. You can say that about most bosses but it's never been truer with her. First phase is simple enough. Your first instinct during the second phase is to wail on Ariendel but you just can't -- Friede can attack through him and her status effect can be hard to escape if you don't see it coming. In both phase 2 and 3 it's best to keep some distance and take shots when you can, it's similar to O&S in that regard. For her third phase, I punish her aerial blackflame attack and her glide (where she cuts your throat). I don't even bother during her anime wombo combo.

I like the fight but still think it's excessive. But I have problems with patience. I've beaten her solo on NG+7 and tried a handful of times at sl1 - don't know if I have the patience or desire to do it. It would be for pride only.

Toxi

Banned
Fuck whatever asshole at From Software designed the Darkmoon Covenant while making the drops for Proofs of Concord Kept so low. This farming makes Pure Bladestone look easy.
Friede is the hardest Soulsborne boss, IMO.

For me, not counting Chalice dungeons

1. Orphan
2. Ludwig
3. Fume Knight
4. Friede
5. Laurence

Though Friede's a lot easier for me now that I actually know how to fight her third phase.

RiggyRob

There's not many large early game before catacombs. You can trade a firebomb with the crows and a crystal lizard drops one where the stray demon in Farron is.

*the giants in the cathedral drop one a piece.

Ahhh, I skipped the giants because I just didn't fancy fighting them, I'll go back to them. What's the best place for Large Titanite Shards in general then, Irithyll?

Toxi

Banned
In two hours of farming ears, I haven't been summoned once. The Darkmoon Covenant is broken. What the fuck was From Software thinking?

grmlin

In two hours of farming ears, I haven't been summoned once. The Darkmoon Covenant is broken. What the fuck was From Software thinking?

yes, it's broken as fuck. And i wouldn't have cared, if I could earn the grass and the ears like the other items during invasions/duels.

Jombie

Ahhh, I skipped the giants because I just didn't fancy fighting them, I'll go back to them. What's the best place for Large Titanite Shards in general then, Irithyll?

Smouldering lake has a ton of them. There is also a chunk you get from a crystal lizard and you can trade a black firebomb and get another.

I've gone through this game multiple times, but never took on Dancer earlier than recommended (was SL44). Yeah, probably just broke the game, heh. Going to have a +9 halberd from the Catacombs on.

Couldn't resist taking on D. Armour (super fun, pretty easy), but I didn't know the key to the next area doesn't spawn until you defeat the Lords. Well dip my head in wax.

bremon

Got summoned as a darkmoon for the first time after an hour or so of farming swordgrass. The invader was killed seconds after I spawned and I didn't get a proof. Fun covenant lol.

Ferr986

I was wondering, this is the first Souls DLC with returning equipment from a previous game , right? (talking about desert sorceress).

Neither DS2 DLCs or Ariandel had any old returning equipment, everything was new. I wonder if there's going to be more returning equipment in TRC or is just that one.

Manu

I was wondering, this is the first Souls DLC with returning equipment from a previous game , right? (talking about desert sorceress).

Neither DS2 DLCs or Ariandel had any old returning equipment, everything was new. I wonder if there's going to be more returning equipment in TRC or is just that one.

DS2 DLC had Artorias' sword, the Symbol of Avarice, Catarina's helm, etc.

Ferr986

DS2 DLC had Artorias' sword, the Symbol of Avarice, Catarina's helm, etc.

So that't it, my memory is confirmed to be literally shit lol

Anyways, tomorrow we should have the patch notes for Friday's patch (Friday will have the new fixes and regulations patch, while the 28th will be the TRC patch).

Deku Tree

So anyone know how long is the whole single player season pass content compared to say the Bloodborne DLC? I heard the first DLC was kinda short...

So anyone know how long is the whole single player season pass content compared to say the Bloodborne DLC? I heard the first DLC was kinda short...

Ariandel took me a little over 2 hours, my first playthrough. Old Hunters...its too long ago but 10+ hours always seemed vastly inflated to me. Ringed City is supposed to be significantly longer than Ariandel, with Namco mentioning length/bosses etc are some of the chief bits of feedback they got from the first DLC.

So together they might end up being a little shorter than Old Hunters (I think Old Hunters probably took me no more than 6 hours. I struggled with the first area a lot but it was relatively smooth sailing from there).

Ferr986

I think if you add Ariandel and TRC they'll be longer than The Old Hunters. Tbh the Old Hunters wasn't that long, but it was clearly the longest FROM DLC yet, with Ariandel being the shortest.

TRC seems that it will be like Artorias of the Abyss in lenght
areas (confirmed)
bosses (rumor, confirmed +2)

bremon

Questions regarding Anri's quest line.
I didn't speak to her in the Catacombs, progressed up to Aldrich, I had already killed Horace. Then I went back and spoke to her near the skelly bridge, and then again in Yorhska chapel. I got a gesture from her and after that found her dead in the darkmoon tomb...how did that happen? I attacked the statues every time I was in Yorshka except the first I think. Did I miss my window to kill her killer the first time I was in there? It's all quite vague lol.
anyway, next playthrough I guess.

Oh also, Aldrich is an asshole. That rain of arrows is...quite something.

Questions regarding Anri's quest line.
I didn't speak to her in the Catacombs, progressed up to Aldrich, I had already killed Horace. Then I went back and spoke to her near the skelly bridge, and then again in Yorhska chapel. I got a gesture from her and after that found her dead in the darkmoon tomb...how did that happen? I attacked the statues every time I was in Yorshka except the first I think. Did I miss my window to kill her killer the first time I was in there? It's all quite vague lol.
anyway, next playthrough I guess.

Oh also, Aldrich is an asshole. That rain of arrows is...quite something.
You couldn't have killed the NPC.
They are using the chameleon spell as soon as you attack them they show themselves.

bremon

You couldn't have killed the NPC.
They are using the chameleon spell as soon as you attack them they show themselves.
yes I realize that, the statue the pilgrim is meant to be was never there when anri was, but some googling tells me that's likely because I may have broke the quest a few ways; telling her where Horace was, and not having yuria in my game. Oh well. I'll follow a wiki on my next game lol.

Ferr986

yes I realize that, the statue the pilgrim is meant to be was never there when anri was, but some googling tells me that's likely because I may have broke the quest a few ways; telling her where Horace was, and not having yuria in my game. Oh well. I'll follow a wiki on my next game lol.

Dunno about telling her about Horace but Yuria sure isn't necessary to finish her quest.

Deku Tree

Ariandel took me a little over 2 hours, my first playthrough. Old Hunters...its too long ago but 10+ hours always seemed vastly inflated to me. Ringed City is supposed to be significantly longer than Ariandel, with Namco mentioning length/bosses etc are some of the chief bits of feedback they got from the first DLC.

So together they might end up being a little shorter than Old Hunters (I think Old Hunters probably took me no more than 6 hours. I struggled with the first area a lot but it was relatively smooth sailing from there).

I think if you add Ariandel and TRC they'll be longer than The Old Hunters. Tbh the Old Hunters wasn't that long, but it was clearly the longest FROM DLC yet, with Ariandel being the shortest.

TRC seems that it will be like Artorias of the Abyss in lenght
areas (confirmed)
bosses (rumor, confirmed +2)

Thanks! I'm probably not gonna buy the Season pass right away. I got kinda burned out grinding for the platinum... and no time right now. But I'll keep my eye on it and maybe pick it up later on PSN.

bremon

Dunno about telling her about Horace but Yuria sure isn't necessary to finish her quest.
Interesting. I'll chalk it up to the same thing that happened to the giant spider beast in Anor Londo by the lever to open the door; he dropped down, wandered on the spot while I killed slugs, then exited stage left, ie, went through the wall and was never to be seen again. Unfortunately he took the ring that he's supposed to drop with him. Sometimes the game just breaks a little bit lol.

Top Bottom