• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Does anyone know if you still get Job Simulator, Fantastic Contraption and Tilt Brush if you order after tomorrow?

spannicus

Someone give me a last few words of encouragement to cancel my Oculus order

It's a 35xxx order so I definitely don't be receiving it before my 2nd wave April Vive order
Keep whatever you get first.
32 on oculus and may vive, after cancelling a april order. Im still confused as to what i want.

Mikeside

Someone give me a last few words of encouragement to cancel my Oculus order

It's a 35xxx order so I definitely don't be receiving it before my 2nd wave April Vive order

might as well wait until you receive one headset before you decide you don't want the other one

All this worrying over shipping and orders has kinda made me glad I decided to wait until I can either walk into a store or order one with next day shipping on Amazon.

Much less stressful that way.

artsi

Apparently some people in EU have been shipped their Vives according to customer service, but DHL hasn't sent them a notification (at least yet).

Posting this for the new thread. I'm tempted to take this to Staples!
knWH5z8.png

Source.

So I ordered one on the 29th of March, page still says May. Think I'll actually get it in May? (I haven't tried a VR headset since the first Oculus Dev Kit at a convention in 2013....it's been tooooo long).

Are there any links for Amazon UK for poles and clamps and things for the lighthouses. I see there are links for US Amazon in the OP.

Thanks.

Yay the future is here!

....is what I'll be saying in May, once my Vive ships :(

To all those who were smart enough to jump on it quick, enjoy it!

beef3483

VR detractors need to read this:

While the near $800 price tag on the Vive is going to be an incredibly tough pill to swallow for most consumers, I have no doubt in my mind that VR tech is at the point where it's ready to be technically feasible, universally impressive and long lasting in appeal.

I've used the Vive for the better part of two weeks now as a daily part of my routine and I've not once experienced motion sickness, fatigue or eye strain. I have instead experienced gaming in a form that's more exciting than anything else I have played in some time. I've used it for work, for gaming, for movies and for everything in between.

- Destructoid

http://www.destructoid.com/review-htc-vive-352103.phtml

jaypah

My wife ordered us a Vive last night out of the blue. So yeah, got a bit of a wait on my hands but I'm beyond excited anyway. Hype!

Cartman86

Banned
What's so hilarious and not at all unexpected given so much of the gaming communities aversion to change is that Oculus was so obsessed with saying, "see! You can play video games on this thing. Video game ass video games! It's not just an experience device. All the tired old shit you remember still works!" Meanwhile a bunch of devs saw the real path forward and forged it. Oculus needs Touch to support 360 degree room scale standard and market it as such or they are in big trouble. They can only get by on brand recognition for so long, and by so long I mean one more day.

Nzyme32

This review of The Gallery is sooooooooo hype.

killer app?

"While the first episode of this journey only lasted approximately 2 hours for me, by the end I was literally awe struck standing in the middle of my living room, mouth agape, desperately wishing for more."

The Gallery is one of the longest in development VR games, and it has been genuinely innovating throughout, in particular with hand-tracking motion controls well before Vive was around. They were then the first to be invited to develop for the Vive. I'm sure that if any game is going to be doing interesting things in VR that others don't consider, it should be the Gallery.

Tain

What's so hilarious and not at all unexpected given so much of the gaming communities aversion to change is that Oculus was so obsessed with saying, "see! You can play video games on this thing. Video game ass video games! It's not just an experience device. All the tired old shit you remember still work!" Meanwhile a bunch of devs saw the real path forward and forged it. Oculus needs Touch to support 360 degree room scale standard and market it as such or they are in big trouble. They can only get by on brand recognition for so long, and by so long I mean one more day.

I feel like I've been following Oculus pretty closely and I never got that impression from them. I got a bit of PR gear-changing about how traditional gamepads could still deliver a great experience, but nothing to the degree of what you're suggesting. They've been hyping up the Touch, after all.

kaskade

What's so hilarious and not at all unexpected given so much of the gaming communities aversion to change is that Oculus was so obsessed with saying, "see! You can play video games on this thing. Video game ass video games! It's not just an experience device. All the tired old shit you remember still works!" Meanwhile a bunch of devs saw the real path forward and forged it. Oculus needs Touch to support 360 degree room scale standard and market it as such or they are in big trouble. They can only get by on brand recognition for so long, and by so long I mean one more day.

I think it's a little hurtful for VR that oculus didn't come with the touch during release. It seems to me like most games with the gamepad are just a very immersive head tracker or something. The Vive gives you presence in the world which, I'd imagine, is what makes it feel more real and less virtual. I don't want traditional experiences. I want Devs to give me the experience I don't even know that I want yet, like Job Simulator.

libertytoast

Neo Member
20lb package? I think this might be it!

Paid via credit card, wave 1, charged thursday, no e-mail from HTC. Located in San Antonio TX.

Yup. Lots of people from TX in the reddit shipping thread are getting their tracking numbers. I'm just to the right of TX in Louisiana, so I'm hoping I hear something soon.

I got a bit of PR gear-changing about how traditional gamepads could still deliver a great experience, but nothing to the degree of what you're suggesting. They've been hyping up the Touch, after all.

That was actually kinda sad to see. Palmer was really always talking how traditional controllers are not that good with VR content and they are trying a lot of things out. Thats how Touch came to be. Then when it was announced that Touch wont come out with the Oculus, it changed to "traditional controllers are really good with VR content".

Arulan

20lb package? I think this might be it!

Paid via credit card, wave 1, charged thursday, no e-mail from HTC. Located in San Antonio TX.

I'm in San Antonio too. :(

And I can't sign up for Fed Ex delivery manager because I haven't lived here for more than 60 days yet...

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Does anyone know if you still get Job Simulator, Fantastic Contraption and Tilt Brush if you order after tomorrow?

I think they'll remain included. If they were going to be only part of preorders, they would have been more clear about it being a preorder bonus.
"Get these SteamVR titles FREE when you purchase Vive while supplies last".
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/vive

Just came across a new AudioShield video. This game has quickly moved up on my list of games to play.

Heh, I'm getting a kick of out of how people tend to swat the bubbles to pop them. Still lots of room to crank up the difficulty on this. I imagine it'll start involuntarily looking like a dance as people try to match multiple curving streams and run into more challenging patterns, mixing up sides, etc.

Cartman86

Banned
I feel like I've been following Oculus pretty closely and I never got that impression from them. I got a bit of PR gear-changing about how traditional gamepads could still deliver a great experience, but nothing to the degree of what you're suggesting. They've been hyping up the Touch, after all.

At the start they were totally pie in the sky and all for the sort of things the Vive is doing, but yeah they eventually pivoted. It's not just PR though they released a real product that is missing what makes VR actually special, and the part that is supposed to fix that (touch) may not even have room scale (360 degree turning at least). Maybe none of this was intentional, but it kind of doesn't matter. The gamepad is the symbol of flat screen games, and gamepad VR games play exactly like that. I know this is divisive, but from personal experience there is a major difference in the Oculus and Vive experiences. This isn't Xbox One Versus PS4.

Tain

That was actually kinda sad to see. Palmer was really always talking how traditional controllers are not that good with VR content and they are trying a lot of things out. Thats how Touch came to be. Then when it was announced that Touch wont come out with the Oculus, it changed to "traditional controllers are really good with VR content".

I said it in another thread, but I don't think it bothered me as much because I never really agreed with Palmer's early stance on gamepads. At least, I always felt and still do feel there's an obvious place for traditionally-controlled games in VR, regardless of how exciting the possibilities of the new motion controllers are.

The gamepad is the symbol of flat screen games, and gamepad VR games play exactly like that. I know this is divisive, but from personal experience there is a major difference in the Oculus and Vive experiences. This isn't Xbox One Versus PS4.

I agree that the differences in gamepad versus motion-based are huge, but I think you're downplaying the value of a gamepad for third-person games, space sims, etc. There are all these kinds of games that are obviously more traditional yet still hugely benefit from VR, and I'd hate to see them totally overlooked due to the motion-based games.

Compsiox

Banned
I have all the free games except Job Simulator. I only have the demo. Do we know if the games will just be free to download like the Oculus exclusives on Home? If not will I be able to get the full Job Simulator for free as a Vive Pre owner?

Yoritomo

And just confirmed that Mine is in Indiana and arriving at my doorstep on the 6th.

(Signed up for Fedex Delivery manager then checked pending deliveries to my address.)

I said it in another thread, but I don't think it bothered me as much because I never really agreed with Palmer's early stance on gamepads. At least, I always felt and still do feel there's an obvious place for traditionally-controlled games in VR, regardless of how exciting the possibilities of the new motion controllers are.

I would agree, that the Gamepad is great for some games. I would not disagree with you here.

Some things on the Oculus Home store scream "Touch controls" though like the sword swing in Dreadhalls and especially the VR-Tennis. When I read about how great that Tennis game for the Vive plays, I wouldnt even want to buy a Tennis game, that dont have Touch-controls.

TheCrow

And just confirmed that Mine is in Indiana and arriving at my doorstep on the 6th.

(Signed up for Fedex Delivery manager then checked pending deliveries to my address.)

Hmm, that's close enough to Illinois to make me feel confident that I'll get it Wednesday. I'm ready!

Arulan

YYYYEEEEEEESSSS!!

I called Fed Ex, because I couldn't sign up for the delivery manager. And she searched incoming packages destined for my address. I have a ~20lb package, that was just shipped today, scheduled for the 6th!

Kevin

Excited to hear some thoughts from you guys when your vives come in. Also hoping to see some good hardware comparisons between Vive and Rift in terms of headset quality. :)

Peltz

Thinking about ditching my PSVR order and building a baller PC and grabbing a vive to go with it. So tempting....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom