• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Murdered: Soul Suspect or Not All Things Buried Stay Dead

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
som_ps2_u.jpg

Anyone remember this game?

Because it reminds of this game:

Murdered_Soul_Suspect_Artwork_Logo.jpg

Who said old-school game design can't exist in new-school packaging these days on consoles?

Kudos to Square Enix for publishing Murdered in this market, especially with a multi-console retail release for a title that is so against what is 'popular' right now.
It's great they are exploring IPs for the West, especially since their own output is so insular these days.

I mean, you never fire a single gun shot in the whole game.

I just finished it this week, and I'm pretty happy with my experience.
I really got into the story. In case you are unfamiliar, it's very old-school in that it's an Adventure style experience... as a murdered cop, you investigate crime scenes as a ghost a la L.A Noire, but with poltergeist powers... maybe think Watch_Dogs in your ability to influence the world and technology around you, but via ghostly powers and not... bluetooth.

You want to join your murdered wife in the after life, but you can't move on until you solve your own death.
ps4pro.eu_murdered_5.jpg

The setting is also great for the story they are trying to tell.
It takes place in modern times in Salem, Massachusetts, and is a haunting tale around the sins of the towns' past. There are around ~200 or so odd things to collect, that is filled with history and lore and campfire ghost stories. You can do some side missions with other spirits to help them resolve issues in their life and move on to the afterlife.

Soul-Suspect.png

Salem is very... haunted.

Good voice acting, strong female presence, well written dialogue (if not a lot of cliches).
The main character is essentially a ghost gunslinger... named Ronan. Yup.

If you're primarily interested in graphics, it's a bit of a mixed bag...
I played it on PS4 and I think Ronan looks great. Like, he's really well done. But a lot of the environments and NPC's are low poly and repeat often. Salem is surprisingly large, with lots of nooks and crannies to run around in between investigations, but it's not an 'open-world,' just think more of a dreary, haunted playground to mess around with in every now and then. The ghost powers are handled with respect and have cool special affects associated with them - and you can posess a cat. Which seems to be the only animal that lives in Salem.

news_our_videos_of_murdered_soul_suspect-15382.jpg

But hey, it's a black cat! So, ya know, witches and stuff.

If you can lose yourself in a mystery and like old school campfire ghost stories, then it might be worth it. Just don't expect a lot of action... you don't really "fight back." Since, you know, you're dead. Combat situations are more about you avoiding demons and traps, you don't actively fight or engage anything.

Murdered_Soul_Suspect_Review__2__1401724636.jpg-e1402325753257.jpg

Though these things can scream like the devil. Or a banshee or something else loud and sreechy-like.

Though, one thing that *really* annoyed me was Ronan always having a damn cig in his mouth. I detest smoking and the man is dead anyway, do we constantly have to be subjected to that? Kind of wish he'd toss it...

Anyone else enjoy this little romp?

Murdered_Soul_Suspect_Review-12_1401724640.jpg

Also, they did drop some cool trailers

Ronan trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWW1TzLBgxQ

Joy trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO5Kfst50v4

There's also easter eggs of Just Cause and Deus Ex in some of the office buildings.

melman101

Once I got to the gameplay with the demons, I hated it. Turned it off, and never played again. Liked the premise a lot. Enjoyed the first investigation piece before the demons.

Really enjoyed my time with it and will pick it up again once it's $20. Will be a cool game to play around Halloween time.

I'm probably gonna grab this when I can get it on PS4 for under $ 30, which probably won't take too long...I'm assuming it didn't sell worth shIt.

My GF likes watching me play 'adventure' games like TWD, so she'll likely enjoy this. The lack of combat is actually a plus for me.

MrBadger

Soul Suspect is on my bucket list. While I've heard bad things about the stealth/combat sections, I do really like the atmosphere. But I don't get why Ronan is always smoking. Did his cigs die as well?

def sim

Thanks for the write up. I won this off a modbot giveaway (thanks abra!) recently and I'll be playing a bunch of it this weekend alongside some Diablo.

tookhster

I've always been interested in this and expected some sort of cult following like with what happened with Deadly Premonition, but I never see people talking about this game after it got released. I'll pick it up on PC around Halloween to give it a try.

One thing that kinda turns me away is the whole Resident Evil 3 thing where you're constantly being followed by a strong enemy and the only thing you can do is run. I don't know if this is really like that.

Once I got to the gameplay with the demons, I hated it. Turned it off, and never played again. Liked the premise a lot. Enjoyed the first investigation piece before the demons.

It felt like someone decided it wasn't 'gamey' enough and threw those sections in. They were terrible. I especially liked the one in the aslyum that was about 40 seconds back from the demon encounter. So if you failed you had to sit through the 60 second load screen and come back possess a cat and then finally you're back to this utterly shitty designed stealth hide n seek bullshit mini game.

Main character/design/everything but voice acting was reallllly bad.

I know I'm sounding harsh but these two aspects really irritated me because I did enjoy the game. Just feels like someone should have said something. Remove the demons and rework the main character and you would have a decent game.

Swass

I enjoyed it, you can platinum it in an evening so I suggest renting it. One thing I liked is everything done in your original playthrough is held over to the second playthrough so if you miss collectables you just have to get the ones you missed.

John Harker

I've always been interested in this and expected some sort of cult following like with what happened with Deadly Premonition, but I never see people talking about this game after it got released. I'll pick it up on PC around Halloween to give it a try.

One thing that kinda turns me away is the whole Resident Evil 3 thing where you're constantly being followed by a strong enemy and the only thing you can do is run. I don't know if this is really like that.

well, you aren't really pursued by ''one enemy'. There are various sections of the game where you have 'encounters,' but they are much more like traps. You can't walk in the line of sight of some demons and you can't step on certain aspects of the 'map' because of demons. So you have to be stealthy to get around... but you can posses various people and objects to 'hide.' It is possible to sneak up behind a demon and free the human inside so the demon 'dies,' but that's the only real kind of 'fighting back.'

You eventually get ghostly powers that let you zip around the areas very fast though and makes these areas much easier.

But yea, you don't actually 'fight-but-can't-win' against the killer (might be what you're thinking of with Nemesis from RE3). Since, well, you lose that fight before the game begins :)

If you liked the premise but didn't like how this game executed it, try Ghost Trick on DS or iOS if you can. It does the "I'm a ghost solving my own murder while using ghost powers" concept amazingly well.

I liked the idea for this game but for a "murder mystery" game there was little mystery and the crime-solving was just process of elimination so I never felt like I was solving anything on my own (not that the game's story was very complicated). The collectables serve no purpose and demon sequences do nothing but pad the game so you don't beat it in two hours or however long the cutscenes are.

I feel like there was a ton of business suits meddling with the game that caused it to be so...all over the place. I don't know, but I didn't like the game at all.

onken

I saw this in the store and was wondering what it was since I'd never heard of it - thanks thread!

Corpekata

Banned
It was a decent adventure game.

But I felt like it babysat players way too much. Rather than solving a mystery it felt more like having Ronan look at everything and piece it together himself. Anytime they DO leave it up to people it is really silly stuff like "This terrified girl, I wonder what she's feeling with this murderer 10 feet away." And it gives you options like happy!

It felt rather bare in general too. Like it starts with sidequests and what seems like a large hub....and then the sidequests disappear, and the hub feels like little more than an area to plant a lot of Collect 23 doodads for achievements type stuff.

John Harker

It was certainly...different.

Yah it's not for everyone. For sure.
It's niche by nature, you'd have to know what you're getting into with it. But there's lots of older fans of these types of games and plenty in the genre on mobile and PC, SQEX was probably hoping with a controlled budget and a targeted approach they could get console guys to buy in. So it worked for me anyway.

Dawg

I got my platinum trophy but I really disliked the collectibles. Not only were some of them missable, but there was no real map system and the online map from Square Enix had errors and stuff. And some collectibles were really difficult to find without a guide.

John Harker

It was a decent adventure game.

But I felt like it babysat players way too much. Rather than solving a mystery it felt more like having Ronan look at everything and piece it together himself. Anytime they DO leave it up to people it is really silly stuff like "This terrified girl, I wonder what she's feeling with this murderer 10 feet away." And it gives you options like happy!

It felt rather bare in general too. Like it starts with sidequests and what seems like a large hub....and then the sidequests disappear, and the hub feels like little more than an area to plant a lot of Collect 23 doodads for achievements type stuff.

Did you like the side stories and main narrative?

genbatzu

platinume'd it on PS4. Was a good game, although the graphics were... not so good, but I liked it for what it was.

If they could've get rid of the demons, it would have been a game without combat, and I think it would've been better.
the puzzles were too easy and you could fail them without consequenses, that was a little sad.

the story was good and had a nice little twist at the end. But I'm sure if I play it a second time, some plotholes will reveal~

Game was ok. The setting and atmosphere were really the only thing it had going for it though. The characters were ok, but not super well developed outside of their cliches. The story at least wasn't offensive.

The gameplay though. The puzzles and mystery solving were practically insulting. The stealth sections were tedious at best. All that was left after that was collecting an insane number of collectibles.

They were insane to charge $60 for it, but it still makes me sad to see the development team shutter after they made it. It has a decent framework, and if they could have made a sequel with actually interesting puzzle and adventure mechanics, it might have finally been worth the price tag.

Corpekata

Banned
Did you like the side stories and main narrative?

What side stories? The few sidequests? They were okay. They at least helped to bring some flavor into the world. Made it feel more lived in.

I like the main story, I'm not sure I'd say it's great or anything but it was entertaining, and I'm a fan of the genre. Good lead characters, bland supporting cast.

Finaika

Enjoyed it, I don't even mind the demon slaying.

My save game got corrupted halfway through, still platinum-ed it.

John Harker

What side stories? The few sidequests? They were okay. They at least helped to bring some flavor into the world. Made it feel more lived in.

I like the main story, I'm not sure I'd say it's great or anything but it was entertaining, and I'm a fan of the genre. Good lead characters, bland supporting cast.

Not so much the sidequests, more those campfire ghost stories that you can unlock if you find the hidden items in each investigation. They kind of reminded me of the story poems in Lost Odyssey. Narrated, well written stories about the past... Except some were pretty creepy. Very Are You Afraid Of The Dark/Goosebumps tales.

Just thought it was nice color to the atmosphere in Salem.

I really did think I was the only one who was reminded of the incredible Shadow of Memories when playing Murdered.

I consider shadow to be the superior game, but Murdered is pretty decent as well. Some poor gameplay choices like the soul eaters, but it was great fun investigating murders. Would love a sequel.

Not so much the sidequests, more those campfire ghost stories that you can unlock if you find the hidden items in each investigation. They kind of reminded me of the story poems in Lost Odyssey. Narrated, well written stories about the past... Except some were pretty creepy. Very Are You Afraid Of The Dark/Goosebumps tales.

Just thought it was nice color to the atmosphere in Salem.

I did enjoy those. The one about the girl who stole the wreath was probably my favorite.

KZObsessed

I almost bought this on PS4 the other day when it was £18 but decided against it. Next time it drops though I think I'll get it, might not be amazing but it's something different.

I almost bought this on PS4 the other day when it was £18 but decided against it. Next time it drops though I think I'll get it, might not be amazing but it's something different.

That's a fantastic price to jump in. If you/anyone else finds it for that price again, don't hesitate. You will get your money's worth at that price.

I really did think I was the only one who was reminded of the incredible Shadow of Memories when playing Murdered.

I consider shadow to be the superior game, but Murdered is pretty decent as well. Some poor gameplay choices like the soul eaters, but it was great fun investigating murders. Would love a sequel.

I'd decided against getting this, but all these Shadow of Memories comparisons have made me change my mind. Loved that game, one of my favourites on the PS2.

Rosur

Will be picking this up at some point probably in a quite month for releases (December most likely) as looks like an easy plat and liked the atmosphere from the early videos.

The developers closed down recently, so its unlikely :(

I totally forgot that Airtight closed down.

Ah man...

I'd decided against getting this, but all these Shadow of Memories comparisons have made me change my mind. Loved that game, one of my favourites on the PS2.

Don't expect a 1:1 Shadow experience, but it's not too far off either. Definitely grab it when you can, you won't be disappointed.

I really enjoyed Murdered. The gameplay is quite basic, lots of collecting etc but I loved the story and it kept me playing through til the end.

I would recommend it to anyone that fancies something a bit different to play.

John Harker

I totally forgot that Airtight closed down.

Ah man...

Don't expect a 1:1 Shadow experience, but it's not too far off either. Definitely grab it when you can, you won't be disappointed.

I'm pretty sure the game's concept was actually from SQEX's side, and they were looking for developers in the West to bring it to life. So theoretically, SQEX could do that again with a sequel since they own it. Though, I highly doubt we'd see another one... even more reason to enjoy the only one we'll get :)

flyover

This finally went on sale for PS3. It's $20 (or a few bucks less if you've got PS+). Been waiting for it to hit that price.

I'm looking forward to playing it this weekend. Sometimes, I just want a game that's a half-dozen hours or less. Something to finish in a couple of sittings.

BadHand

I think I'm gonna grab this while it's on sale for PS4. It reminds me of the game Discworld Noir, which I really enjoyed.

ekim

So I finally bought the game with Gold deal on Xbox One and at first I was pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere and really good german voice actors but then there was a thing called Demons in this game... WTF?!? This honestly destroys the joy of just exploring things. Is there ANY way to disable them?

John Harker

Cheap at BBY..pass?

How cheap?

I enjoyed it but I realize it's not for everyone...
Narrative driven adventure game. If that's youre thing, or your curious about something with a pace that's your own and not shootbang, go for it!

Got the PS3 version for $10, which is the perfect price. I used to own Shadow of Destiny, but sold it a while ago. I want to play the PSP port, anyway.

mike4001_

I liked it.

Yes the demon gameplay was kind of stuip, but it was never that much to throw me off the game.

Also bought it for about 20 € so I am fully OK with it.

Shiggy

I started this game on PC and I'm getting really strange graphical glitches. I've got artifacts pretty much all over the main character and also sometimes in the environment. Anyone knows what that could be?

ArjanN

I thought it would have been much better as a pure adventure game.

Basically like The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter.

EGM1966

It was okay but latter half felt light as though the game wasn't fully finished or polished.

Decent adventure although I prefered Sherlock Holmes C&P as a detective adventure.

Top Bottom