• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

I was reading a bunch of Final Fantasy Wikia entries, and I stumbled across this gem about Final Fantasy VIII:

The film Laguna and his friends were in while raising money, would directly inspire the dream of Squall's rival, Seifer Almasy. After seeing the film, Seifer became inspired to become a Sorceress Knight like the character Laguna played, who, according to the Final Fantasy VIII Ultimania, was named "Zefer", similar to "Seifer". This is why, if one looks closely, Seifer has the same battle stance as Laguna did when playing in the film - Seifer copied his stance from Laguna's portrayal.

A couple N64 games could utilize dual controllers for a single player (Perfect Dark, for example), so essentially it was like having two Wii Nunchucks.

I feel like this isn't the first time we've looked back at Nintendo hardware and seen the tiny threads of future console concepts being tested either. In theory, one could have predicted the WiiU by looking what DS emulation will require; two screens, one with touch-sensitivity.
WarioWare Twisted and Yoshi Topsy-Turvy were basically beta tests for the Wiimote.

7threst

Okay this might not be blowing anyones mind but mine but Kurt Davis who works at Harmonix (whose bands THE KONKS song is on the tutorial of Rock Band) played in such Indiana punk bands as Repellents, Primates and Pee Wee Manslaughter and he also drew this iconic cover of Zero Boys - Vicious Circle LP under the name Yukki Gipe!

ZeroBoys_ViciousCircle_1.jpg

wow.

Aaargh! I'm a BIG Zero Boys fan. This is pretty mind blowing to me!

Roto13

In Super Mario Sunshine, there's a guy who likes to race with you for some shines. He always wears a mask, so you don't see his face. But if you remove his mask, you can actually see his fully textured face:

Does he remind you of someone?

That's pretty great. :p

Bagu

In Super Mario Sunshine, there's a guy who likes to race with you for some shines. He always wears a mask, so you don't see his face. But if you remove his mask, you can actually see his fully textured face:

96BIl.gif

Celine

Lol Nintendo you are the best.

Oh man, that Super Mario Sunshine secret is great! To be honest though, I totally forgot about that character. I think it's just about time to replay that game.

Gravijah

i think the various final fantasy world connections are less "THIS IS ACTUAL CANON 100%" and moreso... fun stuff for fans to pick up.

Wazzim

Banned
i think the various final fantasy world connections are less "THIS IS ACTUAL CANON 100%" and moreso... fun stuff for fans to pick up.

This. The creators never intended to hint at the games being in the same world. They just put stuff in they saw fit for the games.

jaxword

Where did you get they are the same worlds? I cannot see that connection at all.

It's a semi-joke by Nojima. It turns out that Shinra, being a nice kid, develops technology to siphon the farplane. Over centuries, this becomes known as Mako, and unfortunately the power corrupts his descendants by FF7.

This is canon--HOWEVER, it's more of a joke for the fans and not meant to be taken as a huge grand tapestry unifying the FF universe.

Nojima inserted it as a nod to fans who wanted to see some connection between the games. Meaning it'll never be explored again nor is there a need to since the stories aren't connected.

Wiz

Holy balls. Nintendo you sly bastards.

What? How is it possible that III and VIII take place in the same world?
Their world maps are similar (not exact) as well as the Hyne thing.

As a disclaimer, I'm not saying this is true (there are elements in FF3 that are missing in FF8, like the four Crystals for example), I was just saying that FF8 has more references to FF3 than FF13 unless I'm missing something about FF13.

Where did you get they are the same worlds? I cannot see that connection at all.
Obviously one can't claim that the worlds are the same (and even if there was a connection, the two games would probably take place on different planets anyway), but I remember a dev interview in a strategy guide admitting that the plot is similar to FF7's (probably the biggest mechanical similarity is that in both games, when a character dies they return to the planet in the form of mystical energy.)

They probably used FF7's world mechanics as a basis, and FFX expands on the concept quite a bit in a much more magical setting.

Haunted

Is that true?

Dare I believe you?

i said goddamn

Shame on you.

SHAME

Frankly, I think that no matter how obvious it is, people should never post a pic here without explanation.

Heck, going back to the earlier pages, there are a huge number of posts which now go:

Know what I just discovered???

[BROKEN_IMAGE]

[BROKEN_IMAGE2]

HOLY SHIT!

A few words would be rather nice. How hard would it be to write "the running guy from Ocarina" in that post? :p

TheOGB

Banned
I can agree with the whole context and explanation thing, but just out of curiosity, did anybody hover their mouse over the image and look at the filename?

Luigi87

That is so awesome @_@

Anywho... Just a coincidence, but one that amuses me.

The Uncharted series environments is kind of like Star Wars in reverse.

Uncharted 1 - Jungle - Return of the Jedi
Uncharted 2 - Arctic - Empire Strikes Back
Uncharted 3 - Desert - A New Hope

...<_<

No it wasn't. That game came out way too early, it was almost released on the N64 as well I believe. The Wii wouldn't have been thought of yet.

I think he was just giving a counterexample to The God of Nonexistence, who seemed to be claiming that because a game had a tilt sensor and came out before the Wii, it was a "beta test", whatever that means, for the Wii Remote.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
In Kirby's Mass Attack they have a pinball mini-game that can be unlocked. It seems to be a homage to the original Pokemon Pinball. The board look likes a combination of the red/blue board. You even have boss battles. Not sure if there is anything in common with the Ruby/Sapphire Pinball game, cause I never played it.

Comparison videos:

Kirbles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6wIVrS6s6Q
Pokeballs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWPsG_le9SI

I doubt it's a homage, both of them are just how Pinball games look.

Did you know that Pokemon Pinball has a midi version of the first JP opening, Mezaze Pokemon Master!, though? You can hear it in the video about half-way through.

They need to make another Pokemon Pinball. The RS one was a lot of fun too.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Not particularly mind-blowing, but a neat piece of trivia:

Sega released an expansion board for their Mark III console (the Japanese version of the Master System) that contained a YM2413 FM sound chip, which allowed select games to output music/sfx in glorious FM sound. This expansion was released only in Japan and is incompatible with international SMS consoles. However, of the 50+ games that supported the FM expansion, over twenty were never released in Japan for the Mark III (including games like Wonder Boy 3 and Ultima IV), meaning that the FM tunes were never heard until the advent of emulation.

jaxword

Having a little trouble registering a site, anyone have a good blogging site to recommend that isn't eeeeevil and steals everything you write?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
In Kirby's Mass Attack they have a pinball mini-game that can be unlocked. It seems to be a homage to the original Pokemon Pinball. The board look likes a combination of the red/blue board. You even have boss battles. Not sure if there is anything in common with the Ruby/Sapphire Pinball game, cause I never played it.

Comparison videos:

Kirbles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6wIVrS6s6Q
Pokeballs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWPsG_le9SI

You sure it's not just an homage to this?

LassF.jpg

jaxword

Well, since I can't find a good, safe blog site yet, I'll just keep posting the little details here until I can consolidate all the minor Square-Enix references I've been collecting.

Here's a minor one for the CT fans.

Schala gives Janus an amulet.
qsInn.png

It's shiny, not really Magus-like.
KfwMs.png

Much later on, you can execute him for his arrogance and find...
7Xi5S.png

He held onto it for 30 years...look closely at his belt:
wYoHc.jpg

Isn't he also in Jungle Beat? If you look closely one of the birds you race in a certain level is actually a bearded guy in a bird suit. Wouldn't surprise me if it turned out this is a caricature of someone who works at EAD Tokyo.

TheYanger

Well, since I can't find a good, safe blog site yet, I'll just keep posting the little details here until I can consolidate all the minor Square-Enix references I've been collecting.

Here's a minor one for the CT fans.

Schala gives Janus an amulet.
qsInn.png

It's shiny, not really Magus-like.
KfwMs.png

Much later on, you can execute him for his arrogance and find...
7Xi5S.png

He held onto it for 30 years...look closely at his belt:
wYoHc.jpg

Does this really qualify? I mean this isn't even remotely secret or surprising.

NeoRausch

No it wasn't. That game came out way too early, it was almost released on the N64 as well I believe. The Wii wouldn't have been thought of yet.
Also, don't those games use a totally diffrent mechanic than the wiimote?

wiimote is gyro and stuff, while the games used some kind of liquid (quicksilver?). That was also the cause why they didn't release in some countrys.
no toys with dangerous liquids!

Top Bottom