• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii update 3.4 is out.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Dragona Akehi said:
Yeah the 3.3.3 or 3.4 updates. I haven't updated since before the last two, and I don't really want to. Will that one give me access to the store? I doubt it...

Up until a week ago or so I had "vanilla" 3.3U. When they released the updated Wii Shop channel (along with the silent updates that broke some homebrew, and that falsely spawned this 3.4 thread), I held off. I then used the homebrew Wii Shop updater (Available on Wiibrew.org) to regain access to the Wii Shop channel. No issues.

At least up until last night (before the 3.4 update), when I was able to use the new Wii Shop channel feature to redeem the Wii Speak ticket that came with my Animal Crossing/Wii Speak bundle, and download the placeholder Wii Speak channel!

Assuming the Wii Shop channel hasn't been updated again with the 3.4 update, that should be sufficient. I'll check tonight when I get home. I don't plan on updating to 3.4, so I'll see if my current Wii Shop channel still works.

swerve

later said:
I must say, in some weird way, the way they handle the updates and the wii shop channel for example, has lead to me having just a little less respect for nintendo..

As a programmer, surely you'll appreciate that when altering the operating system, it's a good idea to make thoroughly sure that you don't have any mistakes and that it's tested thoroughly?

Many of the updates have been to improve problems of long-displaying black screens when launching a channel, unloading and reloading the Wii menu, freezes on pressing start or changing channels, etc. They don't sing about the details of their updates, they just call them 'system improvements', but that doesn't mean they are shoddy coders.

I don't see what's wrong with the shop channel. I guess it varies greatly with connection speed, but it's always a pleasant experience for me.

Mejilan said:
Up until a week ago or so I had "vanilla" 3.3U. When they released the updated Wii Shop channel (along with the silent updates that broke some homebrew, and that falsely spawned this 3.4 thread), I held off. I then used the homebrew Wii Shop updater (Available on Wiibrew.org) to regain access to the Wii Shop channel. No issues.

At least up until last night (before the 3.4 update), when I was able to use the new Wii Shop channel feature to redeem the Wii Speak ticket that came with my Animal Crossing/Wii Speak bundle, and download the placeholder Wii Speak channel!

Assuming the Wii Shop channel hasn't been updated again with the 3.4 update, that should be sufficient. I'll check tonight when I get home. I don't plan on updating to 3.4, so I'll see if my current Wii Shop channel still works.

Yeah let me know, I won't bother to install the patch if it doesn't work anyway. :p

Also what option do I have to use with GeckoOS to avoid the firmware, or is that automatic

PS: Have you been able to go online with AC without being forced to update?

Linkhero1

Linkzg said:
so if I update I'll be fine with the HBC?
Well that depends. If you update you accept their new ToS which will allow them to auto-update your Wii. They can release a HBC killer that way D:

Dragona Akehi said:
Thank you, you're a lifesaver!

Glad I could help.

Downloaded the update & I've just tried a quick experiment with Space Invaders: Get Even -

Card used:

SanDisk Ultra II 1.0GB

File transferred:

Space Invaders: Get Even (314 blocks w.out DLC)

Transfer speed - Wii to SD card

40-46 secs (repeated operations all fell between these two extremes)

Transfer speed - SD card to Wii

41-43 secs (as above)

To put that in perspective, my experience with copying large (250 block-plus) files before - using the same card - was of transfer times that ran to 5-6 minutes or more.

I don't doubt there are people who aren't seeing any (or any significant) increase in transfer speeds, but I'd guess they were already used to relatively fast transfers. For those of us who have put up with snails-pace copying this update seems to be a massive improvement.

If Nintendo can couple this with a simple, strong interface for their Spring update this will go a long way (for me, at least) to overcoming the problem of ample, easy-to-use storage on the system.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I don't do any of the "homebrew" that the kids are into these days, but as soon as my Wii started glowing a couple hours ago with a request to download 3.4, I came on here to find out what it'll do to/for me.

The possibly improved SD card speeds are really tempting, but a bit frustrating because I just spent several minutes earlier today coping the Nintendo Channel over to my card so I had enough room to download Strong Bad episode 4. Snarl.

But for me, the real debate is whether it's worth it to have automatic updates. On the one hand, it would be nice to not be bugged about updating every month or two. On the other, I'd like to know what the hell is going on with my $250 piece of electronics. I don't want updates being applied to it willy-nilly and I don't want to deactivate WiiConnect/cut the ethernet cord/burn my WLAN router to keep it from happening.

But those increased SD card transfer speeds sure sound nice.

Damnit.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Danthrax said:
I don't want updates being applied to it willy-nilly and I don't want to deactivate WiiConnect/cut the ethernet cord/burn my WLAN router to keep it from happening.
Its Nintendo. It took them months to certify an update that looked for Twilight hack saves and deleted them. They sent out wiimote rubber covers and extra strong straps to everyone for free for fear of lawsuits. They are way to cautious to start just applying ill-thought out updates willy nilly.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh, apparently, if you load an import game via GeckoOS, it will not install any updates the game contains.

Yay TvC is safe!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
poppabk said:
Its Nintendo. It took them months to certify an update that looked for Twilight hack saves and deleted them. They sent out wiimote rubber covers and extra strong straps to everyone for free for fear of lawsuits. They are way to cautious to start just applying ill-thought out updates willy nilly.

Well I think their update to the Photo Channel removing MP3 playing was ill-thought out, which is why I didn't download it. And that's what I'm concerned about with 3.4 -- what if a future update takes away something else I like? I wouldn't want an auto-update, I would want the option of telling Nintendo's update to shove it.

You know, I think I'm answering my own question here. Good thing I wasn't planning on buying Animal Crossing.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Dragona Akehi said:
Yeah let me know, I won't bother to install the patch if it doesn't work anyway. :p

Also what option do I have to use with GeckoOS to avoid the firmware, or is that automatic

PS: Have you been able to go online with AC without being forced to update?

The homebrew-patched Wii Shop channel still works in this, the 3.4 era.

I used GeckoOS to launch AC:CF sans-updating, and was able to go online with a buddy in Florida last night. No issues.

GO GO GO [/Red Scarlet]

Mejilan said:
The homebrew-patched Wii Shop channel still works in this, the 3.4 era.

I used GeckoOS to launch AC:CF sans-updating, and was able to go online with a buddy in Florida last night. No issues.

GO GO GO [/Red Scarlet]

Awesome. But I still have to wait for my copy of AC to get here. :(

jercruz

I wish Nintendo added a 'Copy All' in the data settings so I can quickly copy all channels and save data.

Or better yet, maybe make the Wii read save data from the SD card directly. That would really save some precious internal memory.

My findings with my SD cards are weird:

Since launch until recently, I'd been using a 1GB Sandisk for Wii card. Copying a large (~270 block) game to the card took about 2:00, and back took about one minute.

I recently bought a very cheap 2GB Patriot card and cut those times in half almost exactly.

After updating today, Copying Ocarina of Time (286 blocks) to the Sandisk for Wii card takes just over 30 seconds, but copying to the Patriot card, which was previously much faster, takes 2:50.
Copying back from either card takes 30 seconds, the same time I'd get from the Patriot card before, but that's an improvement for the Sandisk card.

So the update made one card much faster, and the other much slower. :lol

Linkhero1

Dragona Akehi said:
Never played the DS one! But I was able to buy Gradius II Gofer!
Good thing then. Wii one is superior because it has a Majora's Mask mask.

Leondexter said:
My findings with my SD cards are weird:

Since launch until recently, I'd been using a 1GB Sandisk for Wii card. Copying a large (~270 block) game to the card took about 2:00, and back took about one minute.

I recently bought a very cheap 2GB Patriot card and cut those times in half almost exactly.

After updating today, Copying Ocarina of Time (286 blocks) to the Sandisk for Wii card takes just over 30 seconds, but copying to the Patriot card, which was previously much faster, takes 2:50.
Copying back from either card takes 30 seconds, the same time I'd get from the Patriot card before, but that's an improvement for the Sandisk card.

So the update made one card much faster, and the other much slower. :lol

What a biased update. :lol

Linkhero1 said:
Good thing then. Wii one is superior because it has a Majora's Mask mask.

The day they release that on VC with awesome 480p + framerate improvements is the day they update the Wii Shop again and Wiibrew will take forever in figuring it out because Iwata signed a pact with Satan. :(

Linkhero1

Dragona Akehi said:
The day they release that on VC with awesome 480p + framerate improvements is the day they update the Wii Shop again and Wiibrew will take forever in figuring it out because Iwata signed a pact with Satan. :(
I'm not too worried. I have faith in Homebrewers to do what they do best. You know what would show how evil Iwata is? Releasing Majora's Mask with a hidden update to block off all homebrew :lol :(

No, don't you get any ideas. Nintendo!

Linkhero1 said:
I'm not too worried. I have faith in Homebrewers to do what they do best. You know what would show how evil Iwata is? Releasing Majora's Mask with a hidden update to block off all homebrew :lol :(

No, don't you get any ideas. Nintendo!

You know it to be the truth, deep inside. :(

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There must a be a way to make Gecko OS permanently installed in your Wii instead of running in an SD card...

M3wThr33

Banned
jercruz said:
I wish Nintendo added a 'Copy All' in the data settings so I can quickly copy all channels and save data.

Or better yet, maybe make the Wii read save data from the SD card directly. That would really save some precious internal memory.
How about a goddamn MOVE button or a fucking OVERWRITE option?

Linkhero1

I think Nintendo should just make a region free channel and leave me alone. If they made one in the first place I doubt many people would resort to homebrew for imports and if homebrewers can do it, then Nintendo can too.

Cjkorea

Ok. Anybody have Brain Challenge? I do. cuz I downloaded this wiiware game called Brain Challenge. Personally, I felt ripped off after downloading it but my wife seems to like it.... Anyway, back to how this game is putting my system in a coma. The game starts up just fine and it will get to the part where the woman asks you a question of some sort before the menu where you select single player or multiplayer. That's where the problem happens, right after I push A to advance to the single/multiplayer menu. The screen goes black and the system freezes. Wiimotes won't work and I gotta go hold the power button down till it shuts off. I tried 3 more times till I said fuck it. No more. The game played fine yesterday. This happened after updating and I've already tried deleting the game and re-downloading. didn't work.

Anyone else have this problem?
Anyone else download this game? hehe... let me know.. maybe it's just my system but I doubt it.

tabsina

Regarding this (pulled from wiibrew):

Old Policy
"To ensure that your Wii Console is operating properly and efficiently, we may download updates, patches, upgrades and similar software to your Wii Console. In addition, we may disable unauthorized or illegal software that has been placed on your Wii Console without notifying you where necessary, in order to comply with applicable laws, assist law enforcement, protect us and our customers, and prevent the use and distribution of software obtained through improper channels."
New Policy
"We may without notifying you, download updates, patches, upgrades and similar software to your Wii Console and may disable unauthorized or illegal software placed on your Wii Console to ensure that your Wii Console is operating properly and efficiently, comply with applicable laws, assist law enforcement, protect us and our customers, or prevent the use and distribution of software obtained through improper channels." (editor's emphasis)

The old policy never actually stated that they would notify us regarding those updates.. am i wrong to assume that this 'no notification" treatment was applicable this whole time, and they've only now reworded the policy to state it more clearly?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Linkhero1 said:
I think Nintendo should just make a region free channel and leave me alone. If they made one in the first place I doubt many people would resort to homebrew for imports and if homebrewers can do it, then Nintendo can too.

If the Wii was region free I wouldn't bother with the HBC or putting a mod chip in it either.

Linkhero1

VOOK said:
If the Wii was region free I wouldn't bother with the HBC or putting a mod chip in it either.
I wouldn't have jumped into the homebrew scene myself. I don't see why they shouldn't make the Wii region free. Either way they'll make money. There aren't that many importers either.

I think I'm going to jump into this whole Homebrew thing but I need to know some things first. My Wii is at vers. 3.2U which should be fine for installing these channels right?

General questions
-If I'm correct, the process entails copying TwiHack and HBC to SD and install, additional HBC channels can be installed at any future date.
-Recommended to not dl any Nintendo system updates, use ones supplied on wiibrew site.
-What's all this IOS installer stuff?
-Any recommended apps/functionality?

One major concern though. My Wii is a launch unit and long out of warranty. I've bought a bunch of VC on there so were it ever to break, I'd want to send it in (even if I have to pay) to keep those licenses and any save data. Would I be fucked if I sent it in and Nintendo found this stuff on my Wii?

Linkhero1

EphemeralDream said:
I think I'm going to jump into this whole Homebrew thing but I need to know some things first. My Wii is at vers. 3.2U which should be fine for installing these channels right?

Yes

-If I'm correct, the process entails copying TwiHack and HBC to SD and install, additional HBC channels can be installed at any future date.
-Any recommended apps/functionality?

Yes you are correct. Just follow the instructions given in this post

-Recommended to not dl any Nintendo system updates, use ones supplied on wiibrew site.

Just to be on the safe side it's better that you do not update.

I don't get it myself, but maybe someone else can explain.

One major concern though. My Wii is a launch unit and long out of warranty. I've bought a bunch of VC on there so were it ever to break, I'd want to send it in (even if I have to pay) to keep those licenses and any save data. Would I be fucked if I sent it in and Nintendo found this stuff on my Wii?

As long as you do not install anything illegal you're fine.

maxmars

I wanted to upgrade my wiis so that I could check the SD transfer speeds, but the updating server has been down to me for the whole evening.

Not that it matters, I was busy leveling up my COD character anyway. :D

Mithos

EphemeralDream said:

They are made for/to download a specific IOS from Nintendo's real update-servers.
This way you down need to update EVERYTHING, just the part you need to get something working again.

I'm currently on 3.2U and CAN'T get online on Wii-Shop-Channel, because I need to update it, and the new version of the Wii-Shop-Channel is using IOS51.

I can update to full 3.4 and EVERYTHING on the Wii would be updated, or i just could use that IOS51 + Wii-Shop installer to get it working.

I think thats what you wanted to know, right?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
VOOK said:
Region locking is the main reason why I jumped in with the HBC too, after they disabled the Freeloader.
Being able to play my beloved Monkey Island 3 on a TV screen with pointer controls, and to backup my Smash Bros/Guitar Hero 3 saves, were other pretty strong reasons, though.

zigg

tabsina said:
The old policy never actually stated that they would notify us regarding those updates.. am i wrong to assume that this 'no notification" treatment was applicable this whole time, and they've only now reworded the policy to state it more clearly?

That's what I was thinking, actually. It looks far more lawyer-CYA than it does an actual change in policy.

I mean, take a stroll down any software license agreement these days... just for the comedy value alone.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
'by reading this EULA you agree that your firstborn are belong to us.', etc.

Linkhero1

Is this new or was this always there?

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/privacyEULA.jsp

Chapter II: Unauthorized Software, Services, or Devices or Unlicensed Accessories

Your Wii Console and the Wii Network Service are not designed for use with unauthorized software, services, or devices or non-licensed accessories, and you may not use any of these with your Wii Console or the Wii Network Service. Such use may be illegal, voids any warranty, and is a breach of this agreement. Such use may also lead to injury to you or others or cause performance issues or damage to your Wii Console or the Wii Network Service. We (and our licensees and distributors) are not responsible for damage or loss caused by unauthorized software, services or devices or non-licensed accessories. We may take steps to disable or delete any unauthorized software, services or device installed in your Wii Console, for example, by detecting and disabling them through the Wii Network Service and/or game software. If we detect unauthorized software, services, or devices, your access to the Wii Network Service may be disabled and/or the Wii Console or games may be unplayable

WTF???

Top Bottom