• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you know anyone before they became famous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ionitron

There have been threads about meeting famous people, but did any of you know them before they became famous?

Today I was looking at the wikipedia page for my high school and under the alumni section I was completely shocked to see this one kid from my graduating class. This one dude would become a rapper that released two albums, both of which would become critically acclaimed, and his youtube videos get millions of views, some of which featured a couple of big rappers. When we were in high school I remember that there would be circles around him during lunch when he'd do rap battles and he would gather a small crowd. Super cool to see that he became successful with it. Just something crazy, good for the guy, really.

My dad also works at the school where Ariana Grande went, but she might have left before my dad started working there.

What about you guys?

Carnby

A friend of mine became a 4 time Emmy winner, but he's behind the scenes so it's unlikely anyone here knows his name but many of you have seen his work.

My brother. Not exactly worldwide famous, or even nationwide famous, but he is a TV presenter on the local (UK ITV) news, and was on national TV as a presenter/reporter on Sky Sports News. He hasn't changed though.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
There have been threads about meeting famous people, but did any of you know them before they became famous?

Today I was looking at the wikipedia page for my high school and under the alumni section I was completely shocked to see this one kid from my graduating class. This one dude would become a rapper that released two albums, both of which would become critically acclaimed, and his youtube videos get millions of views, some of which featured a couple of big rappers. When we were in high school I remember that there would be circles around him during lunch when he'd do rap battles and he would gather a small crowd. Super cool to see that he became successful with it. Just something crazy, good for the guy, really.

My dad also works at the school where Ariana Grande went, but she might have left before my dad started working there.

What about you guys?

Whats the rappers name?

Also i know there's somebody i know who's recently become famous, but i straight up can't think of who it is right now.

Unit 33

Probably doesn't really count as 'knowing' but I was at a wedding in which the Kaiser Chiefs performed as the wedding band, before they hit it big.

ionitron

Whats the rappers name?

Also i know there's somebody i know who's recently become famous, but i straight up can't think of who it is right now.

Eh, what do I've got to lose.

Denzel Curry's his name. He may not have a million subscribers or anything but he's certainly making a name for himself, more so than anyone else I know.

JDHarbs

I don't know if this counts since I didn't really know the guy personally, but Terry Fator. Before he won America's Got Talent, he used to call himself The Human Ipod and performed for schools. He came to mine the year before he went on the show.

He hit on one of my teachers with his puppet

Tagyhag

My friend used to date Jennifer Love Hewitt when we were younger.

I used to talk to jacksepticeye on the Gamespot System Wars forums before he started doing Youtube, I actually even remember him doing a thread asking for video tips.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh

Denzel Curry's his name. He may not have a million subscribers or anything but he's certainly making a name for himself, more so than anyone else I know.

Damn, i actually listen to him on occasion. He's pretty big in the trap community and hip hop in general

Pretty cool.

I think someone I went to school with auditioned on America's Got Talent or American Idol or whatever

So short answer: No

Oh yeah an high school acquaintance of mine went to one of those idol things and dude actually teared up on stage or something? I don't know. Didn't go anywhere but it was the talk of the town for, like, a couple of minutes.

Ice Cube jr. Sort of anyway. Hung out for a few days, years ago. I guess he got pretty famous after Straight outta Compton.

I didnt ever really talk to her but I went to the same highschool as Neve Campbell at the same time. Seen her around.

I knew someone after they were famous though. Used to chill with one of the twins who played the baby in Three men and a Baby.

So no not really?

My best friend's sister growing is an actress. She played LaFawnduh in Napoleon Dynamite.

His whole family is in the added wedding scene at the end.

Edit: Also my sister was in the same class as Jessica Alba.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Gary Whitta. Although if you were a British kid with a Spectrum circa 1990 he was already slightly famous.

Valhelm

contribute something
A guy from my high school won So You Think You Can Dance a few years ago and then got a bit role on Broadway. He was a dick.

hatmoza

To make up for lost time between high school and university, I took a handful of Summer classes at Cleveland State University in 2009 and 2010. In one of those classes we had a handful of students who were basketball players on our University's team (CSU Vikings). I could never forget how freakishly tall these guys were, and they were often late or absent... matter of fact they only showed up for assignments and tests most of the time. Anyway one of those guys was Norris Cole. He was drafted to the Miami Heat in 2011 and his picture was posted all over campus. I remember seeing his pictures on campus again a year or two later after he won his first NBA championship.

TL;DR I took a Summer class with a 2 time NBA champion at Cleveland State University.

brinstar

Didn't know him personally, but Arin/Egoraptor was a friend of an old friend and we all skyped a couple times and drew on oekaki boards back in the day. Can't remember too much about what we used to talk about but one conversation that did stick out back then was a fierce debate about which old Mega Man game was the best. This was a long-ass time ago so I doubt he'd even remember me but I think it's cool that he's doing so well for himself now.

miked808

Went to Lake Braddock Secondary School with Mia Hamm. Trevon Diggs at Alabama and Stephon Diggs of the Vikings are my cousins.

ionitron

Damn, i actually listen to him on occasion. He's pretty big in the trap community and hip hop in general

Pretty cool.

Breh Denzel Curry is the man, no need to tiptoe around it. That's super cool.

Wow that's really cool!

Not going to lie, we didn't talk much at all but my high school was tiny so everyone knew of each other's existence. Really goes to show you some stuff, too. While all of my friends went to college and are debating what the hell we're doing with our lives, on top of the pressure of the school itself for you to have an expensive education, this dude left the school and focused on doing his own thing. I'm not really into rap or anything, but when we were friends on facebook he'd always post his stuff. Not friends with him anymore on it, but we still have all our mutuals haha.

Sunster

a guy who was my best friend in middle and high school is a rapper now. If he becomes famous I will have a lot of stories to tell. He's pretty local rn though.

Ri'Orius

I went to college with Sean Day[9] Plott. He was already kinda known at the time in the high-level Broodwar community, but obviously has become much more popular.

Great guy. Used to show big Korean BW matches in a lecture hall and commentate before there were official English commentators.

I went to high school with Niykee Heaton. You'd be forgiven for not knowing who she is, which is why I linked her Wikipedia page. She got a Justin Beiber deal, got seen on YouTube doing covers and somehow got a record deal.

She was an absolute horrid person. I don't like to use the word bitch, but she certainly was one, bossing people around, pushing people, being hostile. Constantly complaining about having to be around idiots and that she was better than everybody. Her carefully written "backstory" full of bullshit (Lived in South Africa? False.) includes the fact that she was bullied at Geneva High School. I would say the exact opposite, being stuck in homeroom with her.

Literally zero people thought she would go anywhere, but sure enough she's something. Looking back through things, it looks like she pulled a Brittney Spears by posing nude shortly after we all graduated and that somehow spiked her popularity through the roof. Goes to show that sex sells, but it doesn't necessarily equal talent.

Edit: Another one, but not my experience: My dad was until his recent retirement a photography professor at a small community college by the name of College of DuPage. He had a student who didn't really ever turn in assignments, and when he did they were rarely to specifications. My dad pulled him over and said that he needs to get his act together for the next assignment or he fails. He comes back with photos of a young rapper on stage in a small Chicago club. My dad thought the pictures were great and asked who the performer was. The guy's response? "He's this guy named Kanye West. I think he's gonna blow up soon.". Turns out Kanye got a hold of his picture and he's one of Kanye's official photographers now.

____

Ha! Literally listening to Imperial at the moment.

But I was raised in Carol City (and graduated from CC) so I'm biased.

FyreWulff

an indie game developer from my hometown that i talked to switched careers and become a supermodel, as far as i can tell she's well known in the circle

Malajax

A former coworker recently got a big break and hosts a show on the OWN network. She worked hard for a really long time, so I'm glad she's living the dream.

We're still friends on facebook, and I followed her on twitter way back when. Though when she followed everyone back at the time, I was the one she didn't follow back... So I doubt she remembers me, but super cool to see her success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom