• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boiled peanuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekdrm2d1

A southern U.S. favorite
7TIQ8CB.jpg

8NwHXTk.png

These freshly packed green peanuts were boiled in brine, thereby retaining their distinctive flavor. Open, drain liquid, shell, and eat.

For extra flavor, try heating in the original brine after opening.

Ingredients: Green boiled peanuts, water, salt, and erythorbic acid (to promote color retention).

What do you say GAF? I'm about to open a can!!

Never had these in my life? Sound a bit gross, TBH.

phanphare

Banned
love boiled peanuts

remember in charleston there are a handful of restaurants that'll give you free boiled peanuts while you wait for your food

never eat em out of a can tho

My mom loves (loved?) them. Each time we went to a Korean or Chinese grocery that had some, she'd pick up a bite. Haven't seen her eat them recently. I thought they were fine. Prefer dry.

sphagnum

Banned
The only time I've had them is when I visited a friend in SC and some guy with an accent so thick I couldn't understand him sold them to us. I literally had to have another guy translate for us. I think the vendor was from Arkansas.

It sounded like he called them poopy naps.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
My family is from Alabama, my grandma taught my dad the boiled peanut skills.

Fucking AMAZING. Oh man I need to get him to do some, soon.

Don't judge before you try freshly boiled ones, you'll become an addict.

louiedog

They're good. I've gotten fresh peanuts at my local farmer's market and made them.

edit: they discolored the white enameled inside of my dutch oven. i guess use steel or something else to avoid the same mistake.

Kite

lol we had a thread about boiled peanuts back in 2015 and that OP used the exact same pic xD

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1059689

And I'll make my same post:

4DiD1Ra.jpg

xd3pkvw.jpg

Boiled peanuts aren't just a southern thing, we eat em in Taiwan/China as well. Here is some in a zongzi (wrapped glutinous rice stuffed with different fillings) and another as part of a side dish.

edit: Forgot that you can also get em as a topping on traditional shaved ice.. I'm not a fan tbh

Tc8jnsQ.jpg

Arttemis

Side of the country road vendors with fresh batches are the only ones I'll ever buy. Either make them yourself or go fresh.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
I think I've posted this before, but everyone grossed out should remember that peanuts are just peas/beans. So you're really just cooking them like you do just about every other kind of pea.

Also, they're great. I grow my own valencia peanuts every year and boil them up straight from the garden.

Culex

Banned
Never had, so I'm depressed. I did finally have collard greens when I was in North Carolina, so I'm glad I had that! Delicious!

Ekdrm2d1

The canned stuff is garbage.

Real stuff is the best food on the planet.

Damnit!!

I don't want to open the can. It was like $1.05..

Figured it's like Durian. Gotta try the shit at least once.

never tried Durian. Can buy it 15 miles away

DiscoJer

As a kid, I remember going through Georgia on the way to Florida and buying some from a roadside vendor.

And then I remember throwing up.

DiscoJer

Southern food is best food.

Maybe if the only other option is English food.

The only good food in the south is Cajun food. Which is like the complete opposite, spicy and tasty, not bland. I mean, grits, they look, feel, and taste like wallpaper paste. Yet that's a southern delicacy.

Man, growing up in Georgia boiled peanuts now just hit me with memories as soon as I smell them. There were always people selling honey and boiled peanuts.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Do NOT do durian.

If you didn't grow up with that shit you will NOT like it.

I've had it in a hand-pie from a food truck where it was edible.. but raw is is disgusting and it smells worse than you can imagine.

Sort of like poi in Hawaii.. if you grew up on it you'll like it.. but as someone who didn't.. it's like eating paste.

Only boiled peanuts I've had have been in asian dishes.

DOWN

Banned
I tried these once and thought it was so gross. Like peanuts that just got soaked in the rain a few days ago and forgotten that I then ate and screamed like a girl upon biting.

Llyranor

If anyone ever wants to try durian, I would suggest trying ice cream first. Retains the smell/taste (to a lesser degree), but it is much more beginner-friendly.

Durian/avocado/condensed milk in a blender makes for an amazing smoothie.

Boiled peanuts are awesome. Hmm, I should make some. Haven't had them in a while.

Do NOT do durian.

If you didn't grow up with that shit you will NOT like it.

I've had it in a hand-pie from a food truck where it was edible.. but raw is is disgusting and it smells worse than you can imagine.

Sort of like poi in Hawaii.. if you grew up on it you'll like it.. but as someone who didn't.. it's like eating paste.

Only boiled peanuts I've had have been in asian dishes.

Eh. I had Durian for the first time after I grew up. (Once as a filling in a pastry at a Dim Sum restaurant and once later raw). I kinda liked it.

My dad's from Florida and whenever we'd visit family, we'd always bring a bag or two back to Massachusetts. Lots of nostalgia and tradition involved and they still feel like something special when we manage to get a hold of some. We tried some of the pre-packaged stuff and they never tasted that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom