• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm TERRIBLE at SFV, yet I LOVE watching CPT, Evo, etc. Any other GAFers like this?

Kashiwaba

High five OP! I was decent at some point, but I simply don't have the mental control to play with consistency without breaking my phone/pad/anything near me at some point. I already lost two phones to fighting games, one to MK9 another to SFV.
Seriously man lol you need some anger management lessons.

You know that lady Eva Marie that you like so much? She cosplayed as Laura.

She was let go by WWE recently, right? I mean, I guess she would be going by her real name now (Natalie Marie Coyle), but does anyone know what she's doing now? She had a good gimmick going before she was let go but I believe they suspended her and then let her go.

To the OP's question, I love fighting games and am generally terrible at them but I also love to watch them. Tekken and KI in particular are my favorites to watch. Having said that, the only fighting games that clicked with me in a way where I would claim to be even semi-decent are Street Fighter Alpha 3 (one of only a few games where I put the time in to learn the mechanics), Tekken 4 and Tekken Tag 2.

My significant other is the top percentage of USA Guile players out there. I love an appreciate the game. But suck balls at it. I played seriously enough in other PVP games to understand how complex and deep the relationships between the two opponents are.

Of course we both are really looking forward to getting competitive at ARMS. Something we can both start fresh at.

MikeBison

Yes OP. I love watching fighting games (although it usually comes in waves when I'm excited about a new game) but I suck at them. Silver was the best I could do with my shitty Nash on SFV. This is after like hours of watching videos to try and improve my fundamentals and understand frame data and go to the training room to practice execution but then I just choke in online matches and forget everything I want to do.

Same for Guilty Gear.
Same for MKX.
Will be the same for Tekken.

Don't get me started on UMVC3.

Still, love them regardless and Ill keep buying and sucking at them!

Yes OP. I love watching fighting games (although it usually comes in waves when I'm excited about a new game) but I suck at them. Silver was the best I could do with my shitty Nash on SFV. This is after like hours of watching videos to try and improve my fundamentals and understand frame data and go to the training room to practice execution but then I just choke in online matches and forget everything I want to do.

Same for Guilty Gear.
Same for MKX.
Will be the same for Tekken.

Don't get me started on UMVC3.

Still, love them regardless and Ill keep buying and sucking at them!

I know that feel... deeply :(

Devil

I love playing FGs, though I rarely get past the intermediate to semi-advanced level myself (~2500LP in SFV, better at other franchises). But this level of understanding the games is enough already to appreciate professional play. It really helps to enjoy watching tourneys and such.

I will try to finally get into Marvel with Infinite, may it be just to watch the crazy hype matches without having question marks flying around my head.

jett

D-Member
I also enjoy watching FG tournies more than playing SFV. In fact I think I enjoyed the scene more in the previous generation, where I barely even played SF4. :p

I have zero interest in playing fighting games but keep up with the eSports side of SFV and Melee. There's something so fun about watching 1v1 eSports that rely on perfect mechanical execution.

Ouroboros

I'm the same way with Smash Bros. While I can hold my own locally with friends. The actual competition scene would eat me alive. But I LOVE watching it, fully knowing I'll never EVER be that good.

It's the same with the Olympics, or are you gonna tell me people watch that in droves because they missed out on qualifying by this much?

I used to watch hours upon hours of high-end arena videos from World of Warcraft but could never get past 2k rating myself.

So yeah, definitely.

Murdamonk

I am just like you OP. I follow tournament almost everyweek. From ELeague to EVO, to CPT, etc..

Not unlike you, I seem to get worse at SFV the more I play. I went from being a good Street Fighter player, to average, to pretty bad..

Like a lot of GAFers, I love fighting games...I buy them all.. even tho, i suck at them...

I am just like you OP. I follow tournament almost everyweek. From ELeague to EVO, to CPT, etc..

Not unlike you, I seem to get worse at SFV the more I play. I went from being a good Street Fighter player, to average, to pretty bad..

Like a lot of GAFers, I love fighting games...I buy them all.. even tho, i suck at them...

tenor.gif

Melubas

Not Street Fighter 5 (I dislike the game, used to compete in SF4 but quit when SF5 came out), but I love watching Hearthstone for some reason, usually put on a tournament or a twitch channel when I'm eating dinner. I don't really play it other than very casually though. I think like others have said enjoying watching something is not the same as enjoying playing / doing it. Just watch all the crazy football fans who never exercise.

Ichabod

Banned
I'm totally like that, ESPECIALLY with Marvel. There's no way these old man hands could ever pull off the shit people do in Marvel.

Blueblur1

I'm like the OP. I actually keep up with the scene and rumors more than my friends and they're SO MUCh better than I am. lol

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have played fighting games since I was in kindergarten. I even have a picture of me as a kid holding my SF2T SNES box. I also use to go to arcades a lot as a kid. I can do combos and maybe get a Perfect round here and there, but it's not like I'm super good or anything.

I did a training session to teach me skills with a highly well known pro SF player and I got slaughtered. I mean, it was like I knew absolutely nothing about the game. I'd say I won 1 round by accident out of 10 matches.

I'd say I love to play, winning or losing. It's just fun to learn character moves and so forth.

I'm like that and I use to blame myself because I wasn't always like this, but I'm a gamer first. I don't suck, but I'm not as good as I once was which can be frustrating. Fighting games reward the dedicated. If I want to get good at fighting games, I have to dedicate myself to them and I'm not willing to do that at the expense of taking the time away from playing all of my other games. I remember being able to play every character in Tekken 3 well. Now, I play Rashid in SFV and that's it.

Fun fact, the more characters you can play the better you can be at learning and gaining the knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of the options your opponents have to use against you. That strengthens your defense and your offense. It's just that you have to spend a lot of time to do that.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah I love most things about the genre in general, except playing and getting better lmao.

Apathy

I'm OK at some fighting games, specifically capcom ones (im horrible at every other companies) but I love watching fighting tournaments.

I used to be a big fan of watching StarCraft 2 tournaments as well and I'm worse than trash tier levels at RTS games.

brawly

Used to watch Starcraft 2 tournaments religously (RIP GomTV).

I was total trash at the game. Only finished the campaign on medium and beat bots on almost the highest level. Which doesn't mean shit because bots don't cheese. I'm just really bad at switching between basebuilding and actual army control.

spookyfish

Oh, I love fighting games, and I seriously enjoy watching those who are good at them play them.

For me? I suck. Like really suck. I'm a button masher, and I don't have the patience (or the time) to "git gud."

But, I'll buy every major fighting game, because it all started with Street Fighter II on the Super NES. Can't look back now.

muzzymate

Not for SFV specifically, but I love playing & watching others play fighting games even though I am also terrible at it. I can play against the AI on medium settings pretty well, but otherwise pretty meh.

I love them so much that I'm just finishing up making my own two player arcade stick. Will definitely still suck at them but I'll have a more authentic experience with them.

Im the shittest of shit tier when it comes to fighters, my favorite is umvc 3 but thats mainly because of the roster and i feel i can button mash with some success, im hella excited for infinite. I know i will never be good at ki, ive tried multiple times and im just not at that level unless i decided i was gonna dedicate a year of my life to getting good. But i love watching that game at a professional level. Its my favorite one to watch at evo every year

LakeEarth

No, because I'm pretty good at SF5.
Just kidding, I play Urien.

However, I'm balls at RTS games and I enjoy watching them and understanding them at a high level, even if I can't keep up when I'm actually playing the game.

I am quite a casual when it comes to fighting games. I can usually beat my friends but anybody higher level than that I get destroyed. It is usually why I do not play online against strangers. I prefer watching higher level play because it helps me get ideas on certain combos etc.

wamberz1

Yep me too. Suck at SFV, average around 2000 and my all time highest is 3000. Still love watching high end play.

While I don't play SFV as much as I used to I still boot it up from time to time.(thank fucking god for cross play by the way, only reason I don't get my asshole blown in by rank 5000s every time I try to play) Now that Ed is in I'll probably get back in hard for a bit.

Yep. Fighting games are my second favorite genre after RPGs, and I love watching tournaments.

I suck ass at them though, and the only fighting game I really understand at a semi-competitive level is Smash.

mnemonicj

I am terrible at fighting games, but I get my hands on almost every fighting game out there.
I play extremely casually, but growing up I never really knew there was a "scene".

About a year ago.I started following the FGC a little more and it's pretty enjoyable.
Also, for the first time ever in my life I met a couple of dudes online that have had the patience to teach me how to combo.

Oh yeah I'm the same. I am FUCK awful at fighting games in general and my friends just make me their chewtoy whenever we play and barely understand most of their systems, yet I still buy them.

I absolutely love watching FGC events and seeing people really good play.

Red UFO

This is just esports (and sports in general I guess) as a whole. Everybody is shit at dota but everybody loves to watch The International.

Top Bottom