• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT2| "All Quiet on the GAF Front"

EYEL1NER

Try the Benet-Mercie Telescopic set to the lowest zoom level, I find the higher the zoom with that gun the more the recoil gets magnified visually which for whatever reason hurts my aim. That might be happening with you too.

Use whatever you're comfortable with though. The only gun on Support that is unquestionably better than the others is the BAR but with the 20 round mag it has the potential to not be beginner friendly. The BAR Storm is the BAR most people use.

Also don't worry about the Huot. It's trash lol.
I tried the lowest zoom like you recommended and feel like it is a lot more manageable now. I want to switch to the BAR since but only because I got one of the high-tier skins for it. I'll stick with this gun some more now that I am doing better with it. And there is a challenge this week for plying Support and doing well. I won't complete it because ten mortar kills seems like it'll be a tough one for me to get; I frequently try to give myself enough space to launch mortars and they still catch a building or tree on the way up. So I set up with more space and get picked off.

ThisOne

Does the bomber plane suck or do I suck? Maybe some of both? Can't hit shit with it and it's so slow that I get destroyed by aa guns and other planes and feel helpless to do anything about it.

EYEL1NER

I thought the fog was pretty cool the first time I saw it roll in a few nights ago but it's worn out its welcome. It's downright frustrating when you are sitting in a Dreadnaughts ship and tiny boats can hide in the fog and blast you without you knowing where it's coming from.

EYEL1NER

I just switched from tracking the support mission over to the one where you need to play and win games of Rush and sure enough, I start getting mortar kills (even as the attacking team). I'll have to wait until my stats update to see how many I get that match but I did get the ribbon for ten mortar kills, so it must have been a good amount.

Of course you can only track one challenge at a time, which is completely lame. And it seems like you can't complete multiple parts of a challenge in one game? I played and won a game of Rush, but it only checked off the first part of the challenge.

Not only that, but something else had me wondering/fearing if it was possible: can you jump around to different parts of a challenge out-of-order or does it have to be in order top-down? Like once I complete the "Kill 20 people with LMGs" part of the support challenge, there is a bunch of other stuff and then at the bottom it says "Kill five people with LMGs in one life." Does that have to be the last thing done or can it get checked off at anytime so long as I'm tracking the challenge?

If they have to be done in order, and seemingly can't have more than one task checked off at once, and if you aren't tracking one, progress made towards it doesn't count, then I don't think I'm ever gonna net much XP off of Challenges at all. Just that I can't have progress made towards multiple challenges at once is shitty enough,nut I figured I could probably get some of them in each type of challenge. Not if some have a gatekeeper task of "Kill 'X' of enemies with a sniper rifle," since I'll probably never get any kills with one.

I just switched from tracking the support mission over to the one where you need to play and win games of Rush and sure enough, I start getting mortar kills (even as the attacking team). I'll have to wait until my stats update to see how many I get that match but I did get the ribbon for ten mortar kills, so it must have been a good amount.

Of course you can only track one challenge at a time, which is completely lame. And it seems like you can't complete multiple parts of a challenge in one game? I played and won a game of Rush, but it only checked off the first part of the challenge.

Not only that, but something else had me wondering/fearing if it was possible: can you jump around to different parts of a challenge out-of-order or does it have to be in order top-down? Like once I complete the "Kill 20 people with LMGs" part of the support challenge, there is a bunch of other stuff and then at the bottom it says "Kill five people with LMGs in one life." Does that have to be the last thing done or can it get checked off at anytime so long as I'm tracking the challenge?

If they have to be done in order, and seemingly can't have more than one task checked off at once, and if you aren't tracking one, progress made towards it doesn't count, then I don't think I'm ever gonna net much XP off of Challenges at all. Just that I can't have progress made towards multiple challenges at once is shitty enough,nut I figured I could probably get some of them in each type of challenge. Not if some have a gatekeeper task of "Kill 'X' of enemies with a sniper rifle," since I'll probably never get any kills with one.

Yeah, I viewed challenges as more of that, just challenges. I didn't try to bank getting XP using those. And yes, you have to go one challenge per medal at a time and in order top-down. The game mode medals take a bit of time, but the weapon kill/infantry class medals can have multiple challenges that can be completed in one game.

terrible

Banned
I don't think I've ever finished a challenge that required suppression assists. It's either bugged or I just don't miss my shots enough to ever get them. I'd like to believe it's the last one.

TikeMyson

I hate the matchmaking in this game. 2 days ago I won 5 out of 5 matches. Yesterday: 0. Today: 1 out of 2.
It is not the losing that makes me hate the matchmaking. It is the way of losing. You play some good and close games, you win a couple of games and then the matchmaking goes into the fuck-you-mode. You lose like 600 - 1000, you are in the top 5 with a 3 - 17 k/d and about 4000 - 5000 Points and 2 of your squad mates attack A, 1 attacks E, 1 seems to be afk and the squadleader marked C for attacking. Losing a round is fine for me, as long as the match was good and close... but sometimes you just want to quit gaming.

manhack

I hate the matchmaking in this game. 2 days ago I won 5 out of 5 matches. Yesterday: 0. Today: 1 out of 2.
It is not the losing that makes me hate the matchmaking. It is the way of losing. You play some good and close games, you win a couple of games and then the matchmaking goes into the fuck-you-mode. You lose like 600 - 1000, you are in the top 5 with a 3 - 17 k/d and about 4000 - 5000 Points and 2 of your squad mates attack A, 1 attacks E, 1 seems to be afk and the squadleader marked C for attacking. Losing a round is fine for me, as long as the match was good and close... but sometimes you just want to quit gaming.

Unless you are playing with at least a full squad on Discord or something I can't see much reason to take the scores in this game too seriously. It is fun to have some close games while you are solo queuing, though.

I do wish admins had the ability to balance servers and make more modifications, as needed, to make the games more fun.

EYEL1NER

lol, just went 2-0 on a Suez Conquest match but got 18,000+ points and placed top 7 on my team. I survived the entire match but spent it in a land tank without anything to shoot at. My driver wouldn't point me at any upcoming objectives; just drive up, wait for guys on the ground to get the kills, get the cap, and drive off. I did get to disable to turret of a behemoth before my driver ran me away and hid me.
I am getting matched with some amazing teams tonight though. Not gonna complain about that. I'm glad to be on the giving side of a 1000-350 match rather than the receiving for once.

Theorry

Right.

ouoIXRF.gif

Orcus

Is there another GAF Platoon on Xbone besides the "NEOGAF" platoon that only has four members?

Also, what's the longest any of you have gone with the default weapons? I just hit Lvl 11, and have obtained Support Rank 2, but the only thing I've bothered to buy so far was the Impact Grenade and Air Mortar (unless that one was already unlocked, been using it a ton and cursing at its ineffectiveness only to just find out an hour or so ago that you can rapid-fire it). I've only got 1050 war bonds and there are four classes, so that is like what, one new primary for each class and then a couple new gadgets or grenades? I'm definitely suffering from analysis paralysis with this upgrade system.

Feel free to add me in XBL: ORCU5. I play pretty regularly and will happily squad up on west coast servers, usually in the evening.

Don't worry about the war bonds, you'll have plenty and the levels come quick early in when you need to unlock stuff.

EYEL1NER

Don't worry about the war bonds, you'll have plenty and the levels come quick early in when you need to unlock stuff.
Yeah, I just needed to gain a few levels and then I was doing alright. I'm currently a Support Rank 5 (rank 1 in the other classes) and at level 24. I've got 1620 War Bonds at the moment and that is after going through and buying all of the grenades, the gadgets for all of the classes, and a couple new LMGs. I guess they aren't as scarce as I feared, so I've loosened the purse strings a bit.

I guess I'll give the Summer Missions a shot now that they've started. The one that began yesterday requires three full games of Conquest to be won by the 23rd. I just played a Conquest match, my second time playing the mode, and we won. So there's one down, but it was a real nail biter until the third wave. We got pushed back to the final set of objectives in the second wave and then held the line there for the rest. I got a highlight for getting like 63 resupplies or something like that, so that was nice.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Urg operations is so shit. Steam roll them every game and lose on the last point and lose the whole operation? Fucking joke. Plus by then half your team has quit or switched sides for the win. Garbage.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I was expecting the new map to release yesterday on a Tuesday. Oh well.

Let's hope they release a new operations with it. Cant wait for Premium trials. I hope they announce it via a trailer or something so that it brings people back to the game. I want to play 40 player operations again. Especially the DLC ones. 64 players on Fort Duvo is a clusterfuck and nearly impossible on both Rupture and Soisson maps thanks to snipers.

EYEL1NER

Man, I was playing a conquest match on Sinai and got either four or five kills on snipers with a stationary cannon at F. I was manning the cannon atop the rocks and two flashes of light next to a building far off between where I was looking and C. I started firing and trying to find my range while they kept taking potshots at me, and I eventually killed both of them. Then either the same ones or different scouts went to the same area and I killed them. I left for a bit because a plane kept killing me (might have been one of the guys I shelled multiple times in the plane even) but then went back and did it again. It was pretty satisfying.

One thing I think I dislike is that the cavalry special class is a thing that exists. Every time I take a horse, I jump off the horse with the intention of laying some mines or something and then remember "Oh yeah, I don't have any of my gear or guns for my regular class right now." I need to keep it in my head: Don't spawn on horses anymore. You'll be very disappointed once you dismount it.

One thing I think I dislike is that the cavalry special class is a thing that exists. Every time I take a horse, I jump off the horse with the intention of laying some mines or something and then remember "Oh yeah, I don't have any of my gear or guns for my regular class right now." I need to keep it in my head: Don't spawn on horses anymore. You'll be very disappointed once you dismount it.

The cavalry class is a beast though. More health, has health and ammo packs, and the cavalry rifle is one of the best rifles in the game. His grenades replenish while on horseback too.

Am I weird that I freaking love this game and it has retroactively moved to my 2016 game of the year? Just got the premium pass and I'm in love again and can't wait for more stuff to drop. One of these days I'm gonna make a thread about how the feeling of war and battle this game emulates rises above any other shooter I've ever played. From the sights and sounds and little details, I am literally playing multiple scenes from Saving Private Ryan. Love this game. Even thought the campaign was best Battlefield single player yet (doesn't count for much, but still).

terrible

Banned
So the patch notes say they sort of fixed map voting. The current map and previous map will no longer show up in a vote, so you'll no longer have the possibility of having the same two maps come up over and over again. Better than nothing I guess? I'd rather map voting was totally eliminated from official servers though.

TikeMyson

I just played 1 match on the new map and it didn't click yet. I can't see anything. It happened quite often that an enemy stood right before me and I didn't notice him. On Nivelle Nights it's much easier for me to spot an enemy.

EYEL1NER

The cavalry class is a beast though. More health, has health and ammo packs, and the cavalry rifle is one of the best rifles in the game. His grenades replenish while on horseback too.
The only time I really use a horse is if everyone leaves one behind or no one is using them, I'll grab one for quick transportation so I can get somewhere important to lay mines or start dropping mortars on a contested area. And then I get off the horse and only have health and ammo packs.

I may be wrong, but this new map is for everyone, not just Premium?

Striker

The only time I really use a horse is if everyone leaves one behind or no one is using them, I'll grab one for quick transportation so I can get somewhere important to lay mines or start dropping mortars on a contested area. And then I get off the horse and only have health and ammo packs.

I may be wrong, but this new map is for everyone, not just Premium?
It is for a time but still won't allow Premium-less players earn XP.

Horse riding is indeed great. Like armored cars though, the players who start out gunning for the nearest flag really grinds my gears. You have a horse or a car, go to the middle or at least second nearest flag!

SlimySnake

I only got to play a Conquest round on the new map last night (my least favorite mode) but had some great moments. Another great map as far as I am concerned. It's Amiens at night. Awesome.

Couldnt get a Frontline game and left a lobby when i realized my entire team was camping on the hills on Soisson letting a team that was down 5 players capture objectives. I play Aggressive sniper but man i cant stand seeing seven players bunch up together on a hill.

Alpende

Recently every time I join mid game I end up in a team that's getting completely hammered. All the capture points are in the hands of the enemy and I'm stuck in a losing side. It's annoying.

WillyFive

Recently every time I join mid game I end up in a team that's getting completely hammered. All the capture points are in the hands of the enemy and I'm stuck in a losing side. It's annoying.

Players tend to abandon a game when they are in the losing side, so their side always has all the empty spots. Any incoming players will always be put on the side with less players.

So I just bought the game in the EU PSN sale. I'm approaching level 3 Medic and wanted a recommendation on a rifle to go for. I played the beta and remember the Mondragon being pretty OP. I prefer a medium to long range rifle.

terrible

Banned
So I just bought the game in the EU PSN sale. I'm approaching level 3 Medic and wanted a recommendation on a rifle to go for. I played the beta and remember the Mondragon being pretty OP. I prefer a medium to long range rifle.

Mondragon Sniper or Selbstlader Marksman are what I use for those ranges. I bring the zoom down to the lowest setting for both. I prefer the Selbstlader just because of the crazy amount of kills you can get before you even have to reload but the Mondragon is a bit more accurate and the rate of fire increase can save you up close sometimes. I just switch to my auto revolver close quarters though and it's a beast.

nelchaar

Anyone on BF1 PS4 seeing a weird scoreboard bug that gives greyed out players 10s of thousands of points? I'm seeing players with 50-60K scores, and they always have the Greg names.

Alpende

Anyone on BF1 PS4 seeing a weird scoreboard bug that gives greyed out players 10s of thousands of points? I'm seeing players with 50-60K scores, and they always have the Greg names.

I saw that yesterday as well. I can't remember seeing anyone with scores that high, not sure if their names were greyed out though...

SlimySnake

They don't have premium which is why they are greyed out.

They don't have premium which is why they are greyed out.

To explain in better detail right now Dice is doing a "Premium Trial" until July 27. During this time period all accounts act like they have the Premium pass but all exp gained on DLC maps are stored so unless they buy it they won't get the exp from participation (Scoreboard score is still counted). Dice is planning from what I understand to have a premium trial week every time they lunch a new map so the entire community gets to play it.

In other news I finally got enough puzzle pieces to get the Saber!!! It was fun I did an all melee round to celebrate today and I didn't do to bad managed to come out 1/1 KD ratio and was pretty high on the scoreboard.

BPK

Is there any way to get rid of the yellow lag icons that pop up on the top left of the screen on ps4? They're very distracting and kill immersion,

Top Bottom