• Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

SRG01
(03-18-2017, 05:27 AM)
Is it bad that I'm mildly enjoying the show? :o
backslashbunny
(03-18-2017, 06:00 AM)
Dieeeee.

In all seriousness, no. It's okay to have personal preferences.

I'm at work, husband's in Vegas, and friend is in labor. Woohoo what a night.
Dongs Macabre
aka Daedalos42
(03-18-2017, 06:00 AM)

Originally Posted by SRG01

Is it bad that I'm mildly enjoying the show? :o

Watching Iron Fist right now and I think it's pretty terrible so far. Maybe it's confirmation bias, maybe not. I'm definitely not really excited about anything that's happening, and I enjoy pretty much everything related to superhero shit.

Colleen Wing is definitely the best character so far.

Also Gao is part of the Hand now? That's pretty damn ironic considering season 2 of Daredevil had a scene where some white dude gets called out for conflating Chinese and Japanese people.
zeemumu
(03-18-2017, 06:19 AM)
I care very little for Iron Fist so it would've had to have tried pretty hard to get me interested anyway.

I've seen that long trailer for Ghost in the Shell several times now and from a visual standpoint it looks nice. I'm not very familiar with the source material though so I don't know the extent of the Hollywood meddling.

Saw Kong: Skull Island, though. I can't believe we're actually going ahead with the Kaiju Cinematic Universe. I'm excited.

And I'm officially on Spring Break
wandering
(03-18-2017, 06:31 AM)
Iron Fist was dead on arrival for me, not just because of its cultural tone-deafness but because I have a really really low tolerance for hammy writing and acting, to the point where it was a struggle for me to even get through Daredevil. If the critics thought it was mediocre, then I know I shouldn't even bother.
Septimus Prime
(03-18-2017, 07:17 AM)
I mean, the show isn't that bad, honestly, but damn is the Mandarin awful. It really is like Arrow season 1.

The opening definitely falls short of the other Marvel shows', too.
Blackhead
Redarse
(03-18-2017, 12:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Blackhead

i still kinda want to watch it just for her. i keep thinking it can't be that bad

*welp*

Ep 6: stereotypical asian seductress assassin, I only stomached through because my man Hoon Lee is the mentor

only to be followed by
Ep 7: what happened to vow of chastity what happened to Iron Fist’s Colleen Wing Doesn’t Want to Be A Love Interest

"“The most defining word that comes to mind is alone—in all its positives and negatives. She doesn’t want to be anyone’s love interest and open herself up in that way.”"

why you lying, Jessica? I'm out :/
zeemumu
(03-18-2017, 03:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Septimus Prime

I mean, the show isn't that bad, honestly, but damn is the Mandarin awful. It really is like Arrow season 1.

The opening definitely falls short of the other Marvel shows', too.

The Mandarin's in it? Is it Ben Kingsley again?
SRG01
(03-18-2017, 10:33 PM)

Originally Posted by zeemumu

The Mandarin's in it? Is it Ben Kingsley again?

lol they speak Mandarin in the film... which is weird because Mandarin isn't prolific in Himalayan territories.
suzu
(03-18-2017, 10:43 PM)
He wears shoes inside the dojo. Mess.
Izuna
(03-18-2017, 10:45 PM)
Iron Fist is making me cringe at the Kendo shit, had to stop watching.

I'm barely culturally Asian but fuck did it piss me off

Please tell me he doesn't stick chopsticks in a rice bowl anytime.
RapidCancel
(03-19-2017, 02:05 AM)

Originally Posted by zeemumu

Today seems like a day for bad news all around. Sorry that happened to you.

Originally Posted by BLOODED_hands

That sucks. I hope everything things start to look better for you, my dude.

Thanks, I feel a little better cause my speculation of her having something going on with a co-worker was confirmed last night. The anger of feeling betrayed is helping me move on.
BLOODED_hands
(03-19-2017, 03:21 AM)

Originally Posted by RapidCancel

Thanks, I feel a little better cause my speculation of her having something going on with a co-worker was confirmed last night. The anger of feeling betrayed is helping me move on.

Oof. I know the feeling of being betrayed. One of the worst feelings ever.
SRG01
(03-19-2017, 05:24 AM)

That sucks, sorry man :(
YesNOnoNOYes
(03-19-2017, 06:11 AM)

thats rough :( so sorry to hear that and glad to hear that you are moving on
No_Style
Doesn't want to make an
ass of himself
(03-19-2017, 05:13 PM)

Fuck. That sucks so much. If you ever need to just vent, we're here for you.
Quick
(03-20-2017, 01:38 AM)
I'm liking Iron Fist a lot. The first two episodes could've been merged together and the fat trimmed, but characters are pretty good and engaging enough.

I watched a part where Danny schools Colleen on how to run her school. I can see how it can be interpreted as Whitesplaining or "White guy tells Asian woman how to do Asian stuff", but it almost comes off as part of how the character of Danny Rand is being portrayed as socially awkward.

He's been away for 15 years and his social skills are pretty shot, just on the basis of having been away for so long.

I'd say the worst of this is when he decides to try and take over a class, and gets told to stop by Colleen.
RapidCancel
(03-20-2017, 03:08 AM)

Originally Posted by BLOODED_hands

Oof. I know the feeling of being betrayed. One of the worst feelings ever.

Originally Posted by SRG01

That sucks, sorry man :(

Originally Posted by YesNOnoNOYes

thats rough :( so sorry to hear that and glad to hear that you are moving on

Originally Posted by No_Style

Fuck. That sucks so much. If you ever need to just vent, we're here for you.

Thanks... I've already felt like I've vented too much in this thread, so if anyone is willing to listen I can bitch over PMs.
Septimus Prime
(03-20-2017, 04:46 AM)
New food place alert: Bistro Na. It's pricey, but it's good Chinese food.
SRG01
(03-20-2017, 11:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Quick

I'm liking Iron Fist a lot. The first two episodes could've been merged together and the fat trimmed, but characters are pretty good and engaging enough.

I watched a part where Danny schools Colleen on how to run her school. I can see how it can be interpreted as Whitesplaining or "White guy tells Asian woman how to do Asian stuff", but it almost comes off as part of how the character of Danny Rand is being portrayed as socially awkward.

He's been away for 15 years and his social skills are pretty shot, just on the basis of having been away for so long.

I'd say the worst of this is when he decides to try and take over a class, and gets told to stop by Colleen.

The one redeeming factor about the show is that they don't hold back on showing how awful Danny is most of the time, haha.
BlueSteel
(Yesterday, 05:07 PM)
NY-Gaf, any food recommendations? I'll be visiting there next week and basically want to make myself fat.