• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Maybesew
Member
(03-14-2017, 12:39 AM)
Maybesew's Avatar

Originally Posted by ColdPizza

Hold. It'll come back. Average down if you can swing it.

yeah i'm fine. sold the 7.50 puts for 50 cents so my break even is $7

the after hours bids are still over $9, so we'll see what it opens at tomorrow
ColdPizza
Member
(03-14-2017, 12:49 AM)

Originally Posted by Maybesew

yeah i'm fine. sold the 7.50 puts for 50 cents so my break even is $7

the after hours bids are still over $9, so we'll see what it opens at tomorrow

I hope the weak hands and bears push this below or close to where I sold. Now I know where this can go I'll buy back and then some.
Unknown Soldier
Member
(03-14-2017, 03:08 AM)
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
I actually held Mobileye for awhile there and sold it after Tesla dumped them.

Fuck my shit. ;_;

Intel's desperation is palpable though, they paid $15 billion for Mobileye. That's like AMD paying $5.4 billion for ATI levels of way overpriced acquisitions. It seems the gold rush for driverless cars really on now, after Qualcomm picked up NXPI and now Intel grabbed Mobileye. Nvidia are like, what the fuck is wrong with you people??
Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 03-14-2017 at 03:11 AM.
ColdPizza
Member
(03-14-2017, 01:03 PM)
Wow this is a gift...

offering priced at $6.75 22.3m shares

http://ir.auriniapharma.com/press-releases/detail/78
FinKL
Member
(03-14-2017, 02:24 PM)
FinKL's Avatar

Originally Posted by ColdPizza

Wow this is a gift...

offering priced at $6.75 22.3m shares

http://ir.auriniapharma.com/press-releases/detail/78

These shares are getting gobbled last AM and PM. You would think it tries to converge to 6.75 but I feel it will probably settle low to mid 7s. Maybe lower in a few days too like last time they raised $. No one knows though
ColdPizza
Member
(03-14-2017, 02:37 PM)

Originally Posted by FinKL

These shares are getting gobbled last AM and PM. You would think it tries to converge to 6.75 but I feel it will probably settle low to mid 7s. Maybe lower in a few days too like last time they raised $. No one knows though

6.75 is for the hedge funds and institutions and not necessarily retail investors. I'm probably going to make a play on this tomorrow. Want to see where the volume + price action takes this today. Plus I'm waiting for some funds to settle.
Maybesew
Member
(03-14-2017, 05:17 PM)
Maybesew's Avatar
Working another sell order on the 7.50 puts. The advantage to trading small and often is a big down move in the other direction doesn't hurt that much, and I can double down at a better price
Ether_Snake
安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
(03-14-2017, 06:12 PM)
Ether_Snake's Avatar
How would US REITS perform under a scenario where inflation rises as a result of Trump's policies?
The Horror the horror
Member
(03-14-2017, 07:04 PM)
The Horror the horror's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ether_Snake

How would US REITS perform under a scenario where inflation rises as a result of Trump's policies?

You don't think the Fed will raise the rate?
FinKL
Member
(03-14-2017, 07:46 PM)
FinKL's Avatar

Originally Posted by ColdPizza

6.75 is for the hedge funds and institutions and not necessarily retail investors. I'm probably going to make a play on this tomorrow. Want to see where the volume + price action takes this today. Plus I'm waiting for some funds to settle.

The volume is there for sure, just hope it goes lower so I can go long
Ether_Snake
安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
(03-14-2017, 11:17 PM)
Ether_Snake's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Horror the horror

You don't think the Fed will raise the rate?

They will but inflation could outpace that. Either way, up or down, I wonder how REITs are expected to react.
Maybesew
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:25 AM)
Maybesew's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ether_Snake

They will but inflation could outpace that. Either way, up or down, I wonder how REITs are expected to react.

I used to invest in REITs back when i was really into dividend investing. It was going great until a down turn basically wiped them out.

With interest rates going up, their becomes more competition for fixed income investments. That's one of the reasons utility stocks have been down lately. I haven't looked at any REITs lately but O and NLY were the ones I followed I think.

It also depends a lot on the sector. like 20 years ago I bought some REIT because warren buffet had invested in it, and they basically just owned and rented out industrial warehouses, which is much different than one that owns malls and shopping centers. Come to think of it my father just asked me to look into omega healthcare which is a REIT that owns and operates assisted living places for senior citizens
Ether_Snake
安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
(03-15-2017, 04:04 AM)
Ether_Snake's Avatar
I have VNQ. Three funds are VEA, VIGI, BLV, VNQ, the later is the REIT fund. Those are my non-stock investments in my non-401k account (non-RRSP in Canada). The later three are more or less equal, composing around 60% of my investments. Want to reduce that to maybe 45%, put the rest in VUG and something more diversified, maybe VT. But I have been waiting as everything is really high.

I used to make good returns with video game companies but they have all skyrocketed so I don't like going in now. I would expect a downturn starting in late 2018 or early 2019, too much competition from online games that require high investments and compete even against games of the same publisher.
Last edited by Ether_Snake; 03-15-2017 at 04:08 AM.
The Horror the horror
Member
(03-15-2017, 02:00 PM)
The Horror the horror's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ether_Snake

I have VNQ. Three funds are VEA, VIGI, BLV, VNQ, the later is the REIT fund. Those are my non-stock investments in my non-401k account (non-RRSP in Canada). The later three are more or less equal, composing around 60% of my investments. Want to reduce that to maybe 45%, put the rest in VUG and something more diversified, maybe VT. But I have been waiting as everything is really high.

I used to make good returns with video game companies but they have all skyrocketed so I don't like going in now. I would expect a downturn starting in late 2018 or early 2019, too much competition from online games that require high investments and compete even against games of the same publisher.

Some of them are still good buys, IMO. TakeTwo is a steady performer and I think Nintendo will see above $30 this year (I dumped them two weeks before the Pokemon Go spike...yeah).
kiunchbb
www.dictionary.com
(03-15-2017, 03:03 PM)
kiunchbb's Avatar
AUPH did drop to 7 dollar range yesterday, too​ bad I did not listen to myself and bought at $8.10, oh well it is a long hold, hopefully.

GNMX and SCYX are taking me to a rollercoaster ride. I think I am dropping SCYX, 12% gain in 3 days are good enough, and my portfolio is getting weighed too heavily on biotech being nearly 20% of my investment.

Now I just need a exit price, but it is going up as I type this... Exiting if it drop back to 3%
ColdPizza
Member
(03-15-2017, 03:04 PM)

Originally Posted by kiunchbb

AUPH did drop to 7 dollar range yesterday, too​ bad I did not listen to myself and bought at $8.10, oh well it is a long hold, hopefully.

i think you'll be happy in a few weeks/months
DesertEater
Member
(03-15-2017, 04:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Large Professor

You can't buy the S&P500 index directly. The SPY ETF tries to mimic the movement of the index by holding the same stocks as the ones that make up the index.

Thanks! This really helps as that was kind of confusing.
Captain Smoker
"Hey! What's your name
  then?"
"Mancomb Seepgood."
(03-15-2017, 07:48 PM)
Captain Smoker's Avatar
Why is the S&P 500 and literally everything going up suddenly?

Euro also up 1%, fuck. xD
BeforeU
Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
(03-15-2017, 08:08 PM)
BeforeU's Avatar

Originally Posted by Captain Smoker

Why is the S&P 500 and literally everything going up suddenly?

Euro also up 1%, fuck. xD

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/fed-ra...142524828.html

For the first time this year, the Federal Reserve raised interest rates, a widely expected move following strengthening economic reports and signals from Fed officials. After its two-day policy meeting, the Federal Open Market Committee voted to raise the range of the federal funds rate to 0.75% and 1.00%, citing progress in labor market growth, business fixed investment and inflation. “In view of realized and expected labor market conditions and inflation, the Committee decided to raise…the fed funds rate,” the central bank wrote in its statement.
Maybesew
Member
(03-15-2017, 08:20 PM)
Maybesew's Avatar

Originally Posted by Captain Smoker

Why is the S&P 500 and literally everything going up suddenly?

Euro also up 1%, fuck. xD

The fed announcement was an hour ago, but its strange that the move was totally expected and the market still reacted this way.

The only thing that does't make sense is the dollar is down, and it should be stronger with higher rates
ClosingADoor
Member
(03-15-2017, 08:34 PM)
ClosingADoor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Maybesew

The fed announcement was an hour ago, but its strange that the move was totally expected and the market still reacted this way.

The only thing that does't make sense is the dollar is down, and it should be stronger with higher rates

Computers kicking in after the decision is official maybe.
Joe
Member
(03-15-2017, 09:10 PM)
Joe's Avatar
Edit: nevermind!
Last edited by Joe; 03-15-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Captain Smoker
"Hey! What's your name
  then?"
"Mancomb Seepgood."
(03-15-2017, 09:39 PM)
Captain Smoker's Avatar

Originally Posted by BeforeU

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/fed-ra...142524828.html

For the first time this year, the Federal Reserve raised interest rates, a widely expected move following strengthening economic reports and signals from Fed officials. After its two-day policy meeting, the Federal Open Market Committee voted to raise the range of the federal funds rate to 0.75% and 1.00%, citing progress in labor market growth, business fixed investment and inflation. “In view of realized and expected labor market conditions and inflation, the Committee decided to raise…the fed funds rate,” the central bank wrote in its statement.

Originally Posted by Maybesew

The fed announcement was an hour ago, but its strange that the move was totally expected and the market still reacted this way.

The only thing that does't make sense is the dollar is down, and it should be stronger with higher rates

Thanks, just saw it on Google Finance. ;)


So, Dutch people seem to reject Wilders.

Time to invest in an european ETF.* ;)


*If Le Pen fails as well
Ether_Snake
安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
(03-16-2017, 01:09 AM)
Ether_Snake's Avatar
So the rumor is the tax rate on capital gains will go from 50% to 75% in Canada, in the next budget on March 22nd. WTF:(
ClosingADoor
Member
(03-16-2017, 01:17 AM)
ClosingADoor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ether_Snake

So the rumor is the tax rate on capital gains will go from 50% to 75% in Canada, in the next budget on March 22nd. WTF:(

Wow. How are they justifying this? 50% is already enormous. Over here we pay 1.2% over capital above € 25.000. Although that will be both if you win and lose money, they just assume your return is 4% and charge a tax rate over that.
Ether_Snake
安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
(03-16-2017, 01:46 AM)
Ether_Snake's Avatar

Originally Posted by ClosingADoor

Wow. How are they justifying this? 50% is already enormous. Over here we pay 1.2% over capital above € 25.000. Although that will be both if you win and lose money, they just assume your return is 4% and charge a tax rate over that.

I should rephrase that, they tax you on 50% of your gains, so if you made $1000 they will apply a tax on $500 of that, so let's say you'll give them $250. Now I guess you'd lose $375 on 1000.

It's so dumb, all of that should be adjusted based on income, like so many other taxes.
kiunchbb
www.dictionary.com
(03-16-2017, 01:53 AM)
kiunchbb's Avatar
50% of the realized gain is tax? WTF who the hell would want to invest with that? Doesn't that also discourage saving for retirement?
BeforeU
Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
(03-16-2017, 03:39 AM)
BeforeU's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ether_Snake

I should rephrase that, they tax you on 50% of your gains, so if you made $1000 they will apply a tax on $500 of that, so let's say you'll give them $250. Now I guess you'd lose $375 on 1000.

It's so dumb, all of that should be adjusted based on income, like so many other taxes.

I dont think thats how it works.

50% of your gain is taxable income. Doesnt mean you pay 50% tax on your 50% gain.

It would be added to your salary amd then whatever tax bracket you fall into.
ClosingADoor
Member
(03-16-2017, 12:14 PM)
ClosingADoor's Avatar
Getting out of steel again. Waiting for a few percent drop before buying back in. Made 7 trades over the last 3 months with a steel company, every time a few percent. Adds up to a return of 30% now on the capital used. See if that can get a bit higher still over the next months.

Originally Posted by BeforeU

I dont think thats how it works.

50% of your gain is taxable income. Doesnt mean you pay 50% tax on your 50% gain.

It would be added to your salary amd then whatever tax bracket you fall into.

That sounds a lot more reasonable.
Ether_Snake
安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
(03-16-2017, 01:05 PM)
Ether_Snake's Avatar

Originally Posted by BeforeU

I dont think thats how it works.

50% of your gain is taxable income. Doesnt mean you pay 50% tax on your 50% gain.

It would be added to your salary amd then whatever tax bracket you fall into.

I know but if you count federal and provincial taxes, you get taxed on 50% of your gains and easily end up paying close to 50% on that.

Either way they would now tax 75% of gains.
BeforeU
Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
(03-16-2017, 01:33 PM)
BeforeU's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ether_Snake

I know but if you count federal and provincial taxes, you get taxed on 50% of your gains and easily end up paying close to 50% on that.

Either way they would now tax 75% of gains.

Where did you read about 75% and how likely will it happen? Because thats sure as hell upsetting. First they reduced the tfsa limit from 10k and now this shit.
CrazyShady
Member
(03-16-2017, 04:04 PM)
CrazyShady's Avatar

Originally Posted by BeforeU

I dont think thats how it works.

50% of your gain is taxable income. Doesnt mean you pay 50% tax on your 50% gain.

It would be added to your salary amd then whatever tax bracket you fall into.

This is exactly how it works. It isn't a 50% tax on the gain, it means only half of your gain is taxable.

Originally Posted by BeforeU

Where did you read about 75% and how likely will it happen? Because thats sure as hell upsetting. First they reduced the tfsa limit from 10k and now this shit.

I was absolutely furious when the TFSA limit dropped, that thing is a gem. I'd also like to know where the 75% info came from! That isn't something that can just be dropped on people.
Joe
Member
(03-16-2017, 10:26 PM)
Joe's Avatar
Anyone considering SNAP if it gets to ~$15?
BeforeU
Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
(03-16-2017, 10:36 PM)
BeforeU's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joe

Anyone considering SNAP if it gets to ~$15?

If twitter is worth only 10 billion what makes SNAP worth twice as twitter?. Its market cap should be half of twitter's. There are lot of SNAP replacement out there. Messenger, Instagram even whats app have that feature now. Twitter is one of a kind and they still struggling.
CrazyShady
Member
(03-16-2017, 10:40 PM)
CrazyShady's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joe

Anyone considering SNAP if it gets to ~$15?

Its tough to judge considering even the owners aren't sure how they can become profitable. I do believe Snapchat has less serious problems than twitter but they need some consistent increase in revenue closer to profitability for me to buy in.
BeforeU
Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
(03-16-2017, 10:59 PM)
BeforeU's Avatar

Originally Posted by CrazyShady

Its tough to judge considering even the owners aren't sure how they can become profitable. I do believe Snapchat has less serious problems than twitter but they need some consistent increase in revenue closer to profitability for me to buy in.

I would love to know why you think that. Twitter is already struggling how to monetize and you think Snapchat would somehow be in better state?

Also every high profile individual uses Twitter to connect with people, they have a better and way bigger audience than Snapchat will ever have
ClosingADoor
Member
(03-16-2017, 11:05 PM)
ClosingADoor's Avatar

Originally Posted by BeforeU

I would love to know why you think that. Twitter is already struggling how to monetize and you think Snapchat would somehow be in better state?

Also every high profile individual uses Twitter to connect with people, they have a better and way bigger audience than Snapchat will ever have

Twitter is still mostly text and hard to monetize through ads. Snapchat has it easier that way, you can just push it between the content. Snapchat is more visual, so it has more options for high impact advertising between it.

It is also going for deals with content to get people to spent more time in the app, and then they can monetize that.

That said, I wouldn't bet on Snapchat myself. It can really go either way, depending on their growth and if they can push it as a good platform for ads.
Ether_Snake
安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
(03-17-2017, 12:27 AM)
Ether_Snake's Avatar

Originally Posted by BeforeU

Where did you read about 75% and how likely will it happen? Because thats sure as hell upsetting. First they reduced the tfsa limit from 10k and now this shit.

That's a rumor going around.

http://business.financialpost.com/pe...-tsx-or-loonie
Mrbob
how can the baaasheep
enjoy the shootbang?
(03-17-2017, 12:40 AM)
Mrbob's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ether_Snake

I have VNQ. Three funds are VEA, VIGI, BLV, VNQ, the later is the REIT fund. Those are my non-stock investments in my non-401k account (non-RRSP in Canada). The later three are more or less equal, composing around 60% of my investments. Want to reduce that to maybe 45%, put the rest in VUG and something more diversified, maybe VT. But I have been waiting as everything is really high.

I used to make good returns with video game companies but they have all skyrocketed so I don't like going in now. I would expect a downturn starting in late 2018 or early 2019, too much competition from online games that require high investments and compete even against games of the same publisher.

About time VEA starts to move. I've been tilting my retirement fund more and more towards VEA the past two years and it's really paying off now. I'll keep investing in it too because I feel like VEA still has a long way to go to close the gap with VTI.

I'm about 60/40 us/international now which is considered high but I don't like to be tied to like 75/80% USA stock market only.
Last edited by Mrbob; 03-17-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Ether_Snake
安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
(03-17-2017, 12:53 AM)
Ether_Snake's Avatar
edit: nevermind, was looking at a one year chart.
Last edited by Ether_Snake; 03-17-2017 at 12:56 AM.
Captain Smoker
"Hey! What's your name
  then?"
"Mancomb Seepgood."
(03-17-2017, 03:05 PM)
Captain Smoker's Avatar
Expedia has been a nice buy so far, almost +8% since I bought it ten days ago.
Joe
Member
(03-19-2017, 11:12 PM)
Joe's Avatar
How do you do due diligence on a stock? Do you have any pointers or a good how-to I could read?
Sakujou
Banned
(03-19-2017, 11:15 PM)
any guide a GAFer can recommend to get into stocks n stuff?
something which is readable and where you maybe can start early/easy off?
BeforeU
Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
(03-20-2017, 12:26 PM)
BeforeU's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sakujou

any guide a GAFer can recommend to get into stocks n stuff?
something which is readable and where you maybe can start early/easy off?

where are you from? You need to find an online brokerage first.
Usobuko
Member
(03-20-2017, 03:22 PM)
Usobuko's Avatar
I'm glad I got into nvidia at 96.50

Was wondering when to pull the trigger all these time.
Evon
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:24 PM)
Evon's Avatar
AUPH up to 9 USD (+17%) already today. Glad that I bought in last week when it was stable at ~7.70 USD. Thanks for the tip, ColdPizza.
ColdPizza
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Evon

AUPH up to 9 USD (+17%) already today. Glad that I bought in last week when it was stable at ~7.70 USD. Thanks for the tip, ColdPizza.

Just don't be mad at me if this dips back down from here. =)

I suspect their latest offering is closing today, hence the move up.

Hoping this will test new highs later this week.
Maybesew
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:10 PM)
Maybesew's Avatar

Originally Posted by ColdPizza

Just don't be mad at me if this dips back down from here. =)

I suspect their latest offering is closing today, hence the move up.

Hoping this will test new highs later this week.

I'd be fine with it hanging out here for a couple weeks, my puts expire in 32 days.
kiunchbb
www.dictionary.com
(03-20-2017, 10:16 PM)
kiunchbb's Avatar
GNMX -60% today, gg no re. Still up in 2016 overall, but this hurts, may be there's a chance to re-enter.
ColdPizza
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:02 AM)
AUPH data being presented on Sunday/Monday. Probably won't move the stock a lot but I'm feeling confident it will be positive.

Thread Tools