• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Auraela
Member
(03-20-2017, 01:33 AM)
the solos on fight fire with fire are just the best
ShaneB
Member
(03-20-2017, 05:59 PM)
ShaneB's Avatar
Really loving this power metal album...killer vocals.



Cellador - Off The Grid Intro track Soul Survivors is awesome.
Bitanator
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:32 PM)
Bitanator's Avatar
I'm really into an old school death metal mood right now, any new bands out that capture that sound really well and not end up sounding like worship bands
NameGenerated
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:33 PM)
NameGenerated's Avatar
Cellador, damn I haven't thought about that band in forever. I remember liking their only album and wanting another and then it seemed like they had a completely different lineup every year. Cool that they finally put out another.
Zelenogorsk
Member
(03-20-2017, 06:57 PM)
Zelenogorsk's Avatar
Yeah the new Cellador is amazing. The vocals on the new album are so smooth, I love them. Great production too. Swallow Your Pride is so damn good.

Also I listened to The Last Full Measure a few times yesterday, and for me it really cements just how how much better Civil War is than Sabaton. Hopefully things work out with their new vocalist. It's gonna be hard replacing Nils Patrik Johansson, The dude is a powerhouse!
lordxar
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:37 PM)
lordxar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bitanator

I'm really into an old school death metal mood right now, any new bands out that capture that sound really well and not end up sounding like worship bands

Gruesome might be too much Death worship but their badass. Check out that new Obituary too. And yes I realize I've met like none of your requirements lol
jmdajr
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:39 PM)
jmdajr's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShaneB

Really loving this power metal album...killer vocals.



Cellador - Off The Grid Intro track Soul Survivors is awesome.

new album? I think I have the debut.
Giant Robot
Member
(03-20-2017, 11:39 PM)
Giant Robot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bitanator

I'm really into an old school death metal mood right now, any new bands out that capture that sound really well and not end up sounding like worship bands

Horrendous - Anareta
Horrendous - Ecdysis
Gorephilia - Severed Monolith
Hail of Bullets - ...Of Frost and War
TrenchRot - Necronomicon Warfare
Rude - Remnants... (this one ends up being a little early Morbid Angel worship, but still killer)
War Master - Blood Dawn
Funebrarum - Sleep of Morbid Dreams

There's a ton of spooky old school Incantation-inspired death metal nowadays, but I can't keep track of them.
Last edited by Giant Robot; 03-20-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Body_Hammer
Junior Member
(03-21-2017, 12:03 AM)
Body_Hammer's Avatar
Seeing Blood Incantation with Cruciamentum on Wednesday. Starspawn didn't really grab me as much as it did other people, but I loved Interdimensional Extinction and by all accounts they kill it live so hopefully it'll click with me more then.

I'd also recommend both to people looking for newer bands with an old-school feel.

Blood Incantation
Cruciamentum
Last edited by Body_Hammer; 03-21-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Regiruler
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:47 AM)
Regiruler's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShaneB

Really loving this power metal album...killer vocals.



Cellador - Off The Grid Intro track Soul Survivors is awesome.

I'm trying some of these songs and I like it quite a bit, thanks for posting.
Zelenogorsk
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:22 PM)
Zelenogorsk's Avatar

Originally Posted by Body_Hammer

I'd also recommend both to people looking for newer bands with an old-school feel.

Blood Incantation
Cruciamentum

Two amazing bands! Anyone who digs that Cruciamentum song should also check out Dead Congregation .

In other news I recently learned that Sabaton also did a Jawbreaker cover and it's AWFUL.
It doesn't help that the original is one of the best metal songs ever, and there was also an amazing cover by Rage.

EDIT: If you couldn't tell I was in a Judas Priest youtube rabbit hole and I can upon Halford's Betrayal which I totally forgot existed and really is one kickass song. The video is worth watching just for the hilarious intensity of "Metal" Mike Chlasciak. Also noteworthy is Bobby Jarzombek mean-mugging the camera!
Last edited by Zelenogorsk; 03-21-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Wolfgunblood Garopa
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:33 PM)
Wolfgunblood Garopa's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bitanator

I'm really into an old school death metal mood right now, any new bands out that capture that sound really well and not end up sounding like worship bands

Necros Christos
lordxar
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:35 PM)
lordxar's Avatar
Hell yea +1 to Blood Incantation.
Scottify
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:05 PM)
Scottify's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShaneB

Really loving this power metal album...killer vocals.



Cellador - Off The Grid Intro track Soul Survivors is awesome.

Thanks for sharing this, I'm really enjoying it. I did crack up at the Cyndi Lauper cover though. They do a good job with it.
e_i
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:41 PM)
e_i's Avatar
Listening to the new Obituary. Holy shit, the vocals on End It Now and It Lives. Pure venom.
John Petrucci
Junior Member
(03-21-2017, 08:13 PM)
John Petrucci's Avatar
Since GAF won't let me, can someone start a Pagan's Mind thread? These guys are absolute Gods and deserve their own thread,

https://youtu.be/PjSsN6wjtDU?t=6615

Just watch this mashup of several PM parts/sections (if you like prog metal/power prog metal/power metal)

It'd be awesome if PM had their own thread. I can't do it because I guess have not enough posts...but I trust in the GAF
Last edited by John Petrucci; 03-21-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Bitanator
Member
(03-21-2017, 09:02 PM)
Bitanator's Avatar
Thanks for the recs mates, shall be blasting them today
Obscura
Member
(03-21-2017, 11:00 PM)
Obscura's Avatar
Negru of Negura Bunget has passed away.

Statement on Prophecy Prod. facebook page:

"With great grief in our souls, we inform you that our friend and colleague, Gabriel "Negru" Mafa, passed today, March 21st 2017, aged 42.
We deeply regret the death of the man who founded and maintained Negură Bunget, and who dedicated his life to the sacred side of our culture, bringing it to life through music and transmitting it to various generations from all over the world.
We hope that his legacy will continue to enchant and console those whom he left behind.
With regret and sadness, we offer our condolences to his family and to those who knew and cherished him in this life."

Om is a masterpiece.

Rest in Power.
blahness
Member
(03-21-2017, 11:56 PM)
blahness's Avatar

Originally Posted by Obscura

Negru of Negura Bunget has passed away.

Statement on Prophecy Prod. facebook page:

"With great grief in our souls, we inform you that our friend and colleague, Gabriel "Negru" Mafa, passed today, March 21st 2017, aged 42.
We deeply regret the death of the man who founded and maintained Negură Bunget, and who dedicated his life to the sacred side of our culture, bringing it to life through music and transmitting it to various generations from all over the world.
We hope that his legacy will continue to enchant and console those whom he left behind.
With regret and sadness, we offer our condolences to his family and to those who knew and cherished him in this life."

Om is a masterpiece.

Rest in Power.

This is tragic. Their music has become deeply rooted in me and this just sucks. Was looking forward to seeing them again in a few weeks too.
Tankard
Member
(03-21-2017, 11:56 PM)
Tankard's Avatar

Originally Posted by Obscura

Negru of Negura Bunget has passed away.

Statement on Prophecy Prod. facebook page:

"With great grief in our souls, we inform you that our friend and colleague, Gabriel "Negru" Mafa, passed today, March 21st 2017, aged 42.
We deeply regret the death of the man who founded and maintained Negură Bunget, and who dedicated his life to the sacred side of our culture, bringing it to life through music and transmitting it to various generations from all over the world.
We hope that his legacy will continue to enchant and console those whom he left behind.
With regret and sadness, we offer our condolences to his family and to those who knew and cherished him in this life."

Om is a masterpiece.

Rest in Power.

Oh no =(
pablito
Member
(03-22-2017, 12:58 AM)
pablito's Avatar
RIP

I'll give Om a spin on the record player tonight
Brian_FETO
Member
(03-22-2017, 04:23 AM)
Brian_FETO's Avatar
Yessssssssssss



High hopes after DRS.
Andrew Korenchkin
Member
(03-22-2017, 04:24 AM)
Andrew Korenchkin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Obscura

Negru of Negura Bunget has passed away.

Statement on Prophecy Prod. facebook page:

"With great grief in our souls, we inform you that our friend and colleague, Gabriel "Negru" Mafa, passed today, March 21st 2017, aged 42.
We deeply regret the death of the man who founded and maintained Negură Bunget, and who dedicated his life to the sacred side of our culture, bringing it to life through music and transmitting it to various generations from all over the world.
We hope that his legacy will continue to enchant and console those whom he left behind.
With regret and sadness, we offer our condolences to his family and to those who knew and cherished him in this life."

Om is a masterpiece.

Rest in Power.

That's too bad. Rest in Peace, good friend.
Brian_FETO
Member
(03-22-2017, 05:47 AM)
Brian_FETO's Avatar
Gorguts/Defeated Sanity tour is confirmed Dharmata material only from Defeated Sanity

With Gorguts probably playing their stupid EP they should call this "Not What You're Looking For": The Tour
GutsOfThor
Member
(03-22-2017, 06:44 AM)
GutsOfThor's Avatar

Originally Posted by John Petrucci

Since GAF won't let me, can someone start a Pagan's Mind thread? These guys are absolute Gods and deserve their own thread,

https://youtu.be/PjSsN6wjtDU?t=6615

Just watch this mashup of several PM parts/sections (if you like prog metal/power prog metal/power metal)

It'd be awesome if PM had their own thread. I can't do it because I guess have not enough posts...but I trust in the GAF

PM is one of my favorite prog bands. When the fuck are they going to put out a new album?!

Any Gamma Ray fans here? I've been on a power metal trip lately and I forgot how great Somewhere Out In Space is! Powerplant is excellent as well. I didn't keep up with them after that album though. Is their recent stuff any good?
Doomshine
Member
(03-22-2017, 12:05 PM)
Doomshine's Avatar
Well, saying Wintersun would probably be fine without my contribution was an understatement, they've passed 300 000.
HashtagLapsed
Member
(03-22-2017, 01:22 PM)
Folks shouldn't forget how good Sadus were

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x48TndF7hk

Also, I am pretty drunk but still feel I mentioned this before. But Worship Him, Blood Ritual and Ceremony of Opposites are three classic albums. Samael's stuff nowadays might be whatever depending on the person, but those albums are fucking killer.

To extend from that thought ANAEL were good too, but it is kinda hard to find their stuff now. They had a great split with LUST from Canada and their first full length was great.
Last edited by HashtagLapsed; 03-22-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Giant Robot
Member
(03-22-2017, 07:24 PM)
Giant Robot's Avatar

Originally Posted by HashtagLapsed

Folks shouldn't forget how good Sadus were

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x48TndF7hk

Also, I am pretty drunk but still feel I mentioned this before. But Worship Him, Blood Ritual and Ceremony of Opposites are three classic albums. Samael's stuff nowadays might be whatever depending on the person, but those albums are fucking killer.

To extend from that thought ANAEL were good too, but it is kinda hard to find their stuff now. They had a great split with LUST from Canada and their first full length was great.

Sadus never gets any love because they're too fucking brutal. First two album absolutely crushes. I love DiGiorgio's bass sound on them, which carried over to the first Autopsy album.
Cool live footage put together Sadus - Certain Death

Samael - Ceremony of the Opposites is definitely a classic. Blood Ritual and Worship Him are great in their own rights, but I feel Ceremony of the Opposites stands out the most.
Wolfgunblood Garopa
Member
(03-23-2017, 06:40 PM)
Wolfgunblood Garopa's Avatar
WIFE - Standard Nature (Ireland, electronic)

Not metal, but this crosses over naturally I think. Metal has been as boring as it ever has been so far this year, but this is fresh. It has maybe the most legit Ghost in the Shell style cyberpunk sound I've heard in awhile (so much more than the endless 'synthwave' 80s sounding stuff that is being sold as cyberpunk these days). WIFE is a project by James Kelly (Altar of Plagues, currently split).

https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp...tandard-nature
hobblygobbly
Member
(03-24-2017, 11:49 AM)
hobblygobbly's Avatar
Been listening to the new Pallbearer album the whole morning, loving it.

Pallbearer (doom) and Batushka (black metal) are two great new bands that emerged in the last few years.
Last edited by hobblygobbly; 03-24-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Corpsepyre
Member
(03-24-2017, 01:55 PM)
Corpsepyre's Avatar

Originally Posted by hobblygobbly

Been listening to the new Pallbearer album the whole morning, loving it.

Pallbearer (doom) and Batushka (black metal) are two great new bands that emerged in the last few years.

New Pallbearer is a masterpiece.
Tankard
Member
(03-24-2017, 02:36 PM)
Tankard's Avatar
OMG new Pallbearer, AOTY candidate already.

Memoriam debut album also released today, very similar to Bolt-Thrower (of course), pretty solid album.
Haloid1177
Member
(03-24-2017, 02:43 PM)
Haloid1177's Avatar
Just started listening to the new Pallbearer album this morning too lol loving it so far.
Corpsepyre
Member
(03-24-2017, 03:08 PM)
Corpsepyre's Avatar
Dancing in Madness, Lie of Survival, I Saw the End and A Plea For Understanding. Fucking hell, these tracks. Total annihilation. Some of the most ungodly melodies I've heard in a while.
cryptosporidium
Member
(03-24-2017, 03:54 PM)
cryptosporidium's Avatar
New album out from the greatet metal band on the sunset strip

Tankard
Member
(03-24-2017, 04:18 PM)
Tankard's Avatar

Originally Posted by cryptosporidium

New album out from the greatet metal band on the sunset strip

Almost fell asleep listening to it, and i enjoyed the singles before the release. I guess both and Wasted Too Much Time are still better than anything from the last album.
Ravager61
Member
(03-24-2017, 05:10 PM)
Ravager61's Avatar
Listened to the new Pallbearer and honestly didn't care for it. Just didn't grab me at all. I'll listen again but my first reaction is that I don't like it. Kinda bummed because I liked that EP they put out a lot. Sorrow and Extinction is still their best though.
Corpsepyre
Member
(03-24-2017, 06:13 PM)
Corpsepyre's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ravager61

Listened to the new Pallbearer and honestly didn't care for it. Just didn't grab me at all. I'll listen again but my first reaction is that I don't like it. Kinda bummed because I liked that EP they put out a lot. Sorrow and Extinction is still their best though.

Well, it's your opinion and I respect that, but I'd argue that they've greatly grown as a band since their first album. It's a really good album, but in no way, musically and production-wise, does it hold a candle to Foundations and the new one, especially. Again, just what I'd argue.
Andrew Korenchkin
Member
(03-24-2017, 09:42 PM)
Andrew Korenchkin's Avatar

Originally Posted by cryptosporidium

New album out from the greatet metal band on the sunset strip

Ugh.
cryptosporidium
Member
(03-24-2017, 10:46 PM)
cryptosporidium's Avatar
LTB is far more laid back than previous stuff. More aerosmith than whatever hair metal they emulate. wonder how itll do with fans
Conkersbadfurday
Member
(03-25-2017, 12:50 AM)
Conkersbadfurday's Avatar
Me and my bro are working on a deathmetal cover of "Kryptonite" by Three Doors Down, which is maybe my dumbest sober idea ever. No real major reason other than it seemed fun and has been. I'm stuck with really shitty VST guitars though, so it's gonna sound...bad regardless of what I do.

But fun project is fun. My attempts at growling are finally at a place I can claim is "not embarrassing"

Doubt anyone cares, but "death metal kryptonite" makes me laugh as a word combo so there ya go.

Originally Posted by cryptosporidium

New album out from the greatet metal band on the sunset strip

I normally like Steel Panther, but I honestly haven't liked any of the tunes I've heard off of this one. They just aren't funny.

Haven't gone through the whole thing yet though.
Last edited by Conkersbadfurday; 03-25-2017 at 12:53 AM.
cryptosporidium
Member
(03-25-2017, 04:12 AM)
cryptosporidium's Avatar

Originally Posted by Conkersbadfurday


I normally like Steel Panther, but I honestly haven't liked any of the tunes I've heard off of this one. They just aren't funny.

Haven't gone through the whole thing yet though.

Having gone through the album Ill agree with this. Not funny, but the songs themselves are tight imo
Conkersbadfurday
Member
(03-25-2017, 05:47 AM)
Conkersbadfurday's Avatar

Originally Posted by cryptosporidium

Having gone through the album Ill agree with this. Not funny, but the songs themselves are tight imo

I dunno. I kinda look at them like I do Gloryhammer with power metal. If I'm not smiling, then it's not worth it.
choodi
Member
(03-26-2017, 12:51 AM)
choodi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Conkersbadfurday

I normally like Steel Panther, but I honestly haven't liked any of the tunes I've heard off of this one. They just aren't funny.

My thoughts exactly. I have really enjoyed their (piss)take on hair metal over the years and this is just disappointing.
Aizo
音楽オタク
(03-26-2017, 06:49 AM)
Aizo's Avatar
Can I get some recommendations for some newer stuff? My favorites are like Arch Enemy (Angela Gossow years), Eluveitie, Galneryus, Vampillia, and Children of Bodom

So any great Melodic Death Metal, Folk Metal (more on the Melodic Death Metal side than Thrash Metal inspired), Experimental Black Metal, or Power Metal (but I'm really picky about this subgenre) bands that are still releasing stuff.

Spotify links welcome.
Royal_Flush
Member
(03-26-2017, 11:47 AM)
Royal_Flush's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aizo

Can I get some recommendations for some newer stuff? My favorites are like Arch Enemy (Angela Gossow years), Eluveitie, Galneryus, Vampillia, and Children of Bodom

So any great Melodic Death Metal, Folk Metal (more on the Melodic Death Metal side than Thrash Metal inspired), Experimental Black Metal, or Power Metal (but I'm really picky about this subgenre) bands that are still releasing stuff.

Spotify links welcome.

No spotify because I'm lazy. But I'm going through my music directory for you...

Alcest (blackgaze staple)
Chthonic (Taiwanese "folk" metal)
Crimfall (folk; plan to release their third album soon after a longer hiatus)
Dark Tranquility (melodeath genre staple)
Ensiferum (folk genre staple)
Equilibrium (light hearted pagan metal; don't know how popular outside Germany)
Harakiri For The Sky (emerging blackgaze band)
Heidevolk (power-folk-metal?)
In Vain (melodeath insider tip)
Insomnium (melodeath staple)
Kataklysm (death/melodeath staple. I think newer albums are more your style)
Ne Obliviscaris (just give it a listen)
Soilwork (melodeath staple)
Wintersun (folk-y/symphonic melodeath)
Doomshine
Member
(03-26-2017, 05:09 PM)
Doomshine's Avatar

Originally Posted by Royal_Flush

No spotify because I'm lazy. But I'm going through my music directory for you...

this a good list and I'd also like to add:

Hollenthon (Symphonic/folk/melodic death metal)
Kalmah (melodeath)
Conkersbadfurday
Member
(03-26-2017, 05:12 PM)
Conkersbadfurday's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aizo

Can I get some recommendations for some newer stuff? My favorites are like Arch Enemy (Angela Gossow years), Eluveitie, Galneryus, Vampillia, and Children of Bodom

So any great Melodic Death Metal, Folk Metal (more on the Melodic Death Metal side than Thrash Metal inspired), Experimental Black Metal, or Power Metal (but I'm really picky about this subgenre) bands that are still releasing stuff.

Spotify links welcome.

I'll add Varaang Nord to the above lists. Russian folk metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv_6VXd-TR0

Moonsorrow might be worth a look too, since they have some folk to their black metal.
Tankard
Member
(03-27-2017, 05:48 PM)
Tankard's Avatar
Loving the debut of this Canadian Thrash band.



https://terrifier-tym.bandcamp.com/a...sh-destruction

https://open.spotify.com/album/3tZJFYEx0PW4vFHDaBrGRg
Regiruler
Member
(03-27-2017, 05:50 PM)
Regiruler's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tankard

Loving the debut of this Canadian Thrash band.

Loving the colors on this cover.

Thread Tools