• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

()_listerfeend_()
Member
(08-14-2015, 06:16 AM)
()_listerfeend_()'s Avatar
It's a long ways off (Q2 of next year), but I'm getting a commission going for 'Howl's Moving Castle' by Ise Ananphada.

You might not be familiar with her work just yet, but she's incredibly talented, and is taking on a lot of projects.

Here's the first 2 completed projects I'm in on:



Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Limiting Factor
Junior Member
(08-14-2015, 08:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Fornaximus

How do you guys feel about framing without mats? I wanna frame my Ansin GitS variant into a silver metal frame and I think it would look really good without a mat. Basically I want this exact thing.

I remember reading somewhere on EB to use a spacer, even in some cases where the print is matted, to prevent the print from sticking to the glass but I can't recall the exact conversation.

A quick search on the Frame Destination blog came up with a post about moisture damage:

http://blog.framedestination.com/pic...amed-pictures/

Moisture

When exposed to moisture, framed photographs can succumb to blocking. Blocking occurs when the surface of the photo becomes adhesive-like and sticks to the glass frame; the photo is often destroyed if it is attempted to remove it. Moisture will also cause warping, mold growth on the surface of the piece (which poses a health hazard), and color bleeding on digital photographs.

How to Prevent It: Display your framed piece in a climate controlled area—low humidity and air conditioned is best. It is also advisable to use picture frame spacers to ensure the artwork does not touch the surface of the glazing.

Luderico
Member
(08-14-2015, 09:02 AM)
Luderico's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fornaximus

How do you guys feel about framing without mats? I wanna frame my Ansin GitS variant into a silver metal frame and I think it would look really good without a mat. Basically I want this exact thing.

Hi Fornaximus,

i'm more of an mat guy myself. It gives the art depth and flatters it, when done right. I couldn't live without them anymore.
I put together a preview of your print with mats. But then again it's something else when you have the real thing before you and not just a jpeg.

Axiom
Member
(08-14-2015, 09:24 AM)
Axiom's Avatar

Originally Posted by ()_listerfeend_()

It's a long ways off (Q2 of next year), but I'm getting a commission going for 'Howl's Moving Castle' by Ise Ananphada.

You might not be familiar with her work just yet, but she's incredibly talented, and is taking on a lot of projects.

Here's the first 2 completed projects I'm in on:



Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Amelie is my favourite film of all time, and those prints are amazing. Jealous!
WascallyWabbit
Member
(08-14-2015, 02:29 PM)
WascallyWabbit's Avatar

Originally Posted by ()_listerfeend_()

It's a long ways off (Q2 of next year), but I'm getting a commission going for 'Howl's Moving Castle' by Ise Ananphada.

You might not be familiar with her work just yet, but she's incredibly talented, and is taking on a lot of projects.

Here's the first 2 completed projects I'm in on:



Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

holy crap that looks good, I sent you a PM!
VGChampion
Member
(08-14-2015, 02:56 PM)
VGChampion's Avatar
That Amelie is gorgeous. I've yet to watch Howl's though. Maybe I should get on that soon.
Malick[AI]
Member
(08-14-2015, 03:32 PM)
Malick[AI]'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Fornaximus

How do you guys feel about framing without mats? I wanna frame my Ansin GitS variant into a silver metal frame and I think it would look really good without a mat. Basically I want this exact thing.

For me it depends on the size of the print. Most prints larger than 12 inches I don't use a mat for.
Risible
Member
(08-14-2015, 03:37 PM)
Risible's Avatar

Nice!
Meier
(08-14-2015, 06:04 PM)
Meier's Avatar
Amelie is one of my all time favorite films. <3 Audrey
Risible
Member
(08-14-2015, 06:20 PM)
Risible's Avatar
Mats are very important to prevent the artwork from sticking to the glass. I would never put an expensive print in an unmatted frame. That being said, if it's a cheapie who cares, better to get it on the wall.

It's not cheap, but I'd rather spend the $100 and go to American Frames and get a DYI kit than ruin a Stout. Plus, they're reusable in the sense that you can just pop one poster out and pop a different one in when you want a change of scenery.

edit: just noticed you're talking about the Ansin GITS foil. HELLLLLL no. I wouldn't take the chance personally on a $350+ poster.

edit edit :) I should mention that I've had posters stick to the glass, which is why I'm saying this. Before I got into fancy-posters, back when I was in my teens/early twenties, I used to collect movie one-sheets and throw them into cheap frames. Had a few ruined by adhesion to the glass/plexi.
see5harp
Member
(08-14-2015, 06:29 PM)
I love Amelie but I wish the poster wasn't so busy. Artist is obviously crazy talented though and her love of the actual material is obvious from all of those pieces. I really love The Fall as well but really wish Tarsem hadn't straight up taken multiple scenes from Baraka.
Risible
Member
(08-14-2015, 06:51 PM)
Risible's Avatar

Originally Posted by see5harp

I love Amelie but I wish the poster wasn't so busy. Artist is obviously crazy talented though and her love of the actual material is obvious from all of those pieces. I really love The Fall as well but really wish Tarsem hadn't straight up taken multiple scenes from Baraka.

I think the style of the poster is its strength. My main gripe is the faces - movie poster have to nail the faces, and hers are only so-so. Still beautiful though.
Sigma722
Member
(08-14-2015, 06:55 PM)
Sigma722's Avatar

Originally Posted by Risible

My main gripe is the faces - movie poster have to nail the faces

Yup, or at least the main focus face at minimum
see5harp
Member
(08-14-2015, 06:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Risible

I think the style of the poster is its strength. My main gripe is the faces - movie poster have to nail the faces, and hers are only so-so. Still beautiful though.

Beautiful for sure, just not to my tastes. I do like some Stout stuff but some of those super busy prints that summarize a ton of different characters or scenes remind me of something you'd hang in the bathroom to look at while you shit.
Risible
Member
(08-14-2015, 07:02 PM)
Risible's Avatar

Originally Posted by see5harp

Beautiful for sure, just not to my tastes. I do like some Stout stuff but some of those super busy prints that summarize a ton of different characters or scenes remind me of something you'd hang in the bathroom to look at while you shit.

.
Filthy Slug
Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
(08-14-2015, 07:11 PM)
Filthy Slug's Avatar

Originally Posted by see5harp

Beautiful for sure, just not to my tastes. I do like some Stout stuff but some of those super busy prints that summarize a ton of different characters or scenes remind me of something you'd hang in the bathroom to look at while you shit.

I have a friend who says pretty much the same thing, especially about Stouts, but whenever I've picked his brain about it, it just seemed like he never really took the time to look at the distinct "layers" of shit going on in these prints, or he just doesn't know/care for the subject matter.

Like for most movie-related Stouts, there are very obvious defining moments/elements/symbols that are layered and woven into the piece in really impressive ways, and these form a cohesive overall image. Also, as with so many prints, seeing them in person lets you understand the art so much more.
IronRinn
Member
(08-14-2015, 07:12 PM)
IronRinn's Avatar

Being sold through Antler Gallery:

On Tuesday, August 25th, at 11am we will be releasing Limited Edition prints of
A Whole New World by Josh Keyes and The Visit by Brin Levinson via our website.
We will send an email closer to the release date with more detailed information about the sales process and example images of each print.
A percentage of proceeds from all prints sold will be donated to the following causes:Josh Keyes: Big Cats Initiative & Brin Levinson: PangeaSeed

A Whole New World
Artist: Josh Keyes
Signed and numbered edition of 200
Archival Giclee on Optica One 100% cotton paper (300 gm weight)
Paper size: 18 x 34 - Image Size: 15.5" x 30.5"
Manufacturer: PixelPoint Artistry
Publisher: Antler Gallery
Price $275.00

Too rich for my blood.
Risible
Member
(08-14-2015, 07:15 PM)
Risible's Avatar

Originally Posted by IronRinn

Too rich for my blood.

I love Keyes and have some of his smaller prints, but this is basically the very definition of Keyes :).
IronRinn
Member
(08-14-2015, 07:18 PM)
IronRinn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Risible

I love Keyes and have some of his smaller prints, but this is basically the very definition of Keyes :).

I guess so. I have the one he did for Tiny Showcase and love it.
Filthy Slug
Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
(08-14-2015, 07:25 PM)
Filthy Slug's Avatar
Yo, what if we pool our money together and then all have joint custody of the print?
LaneDS
Member
(08-14-2015, 07:29 PM)
LaneDS's Avatar

Originally Posted by Filthy Slug

Yo, what if we pool our money together and then all have joint custody of the print?

I think moving forward this is the right move for all future prints.
see5harp
Member
(08-14-2015, 07:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Filthy Slug

I have a friend who says pretty much the same thing, especially about Stouts, but whenever I've picked his brain about it, it just seemed like he never really took the time to look at the distinct "layers" of shit going on in these prints, or he just doesn't know/care for the subject matter.

Like for most movie-related Stouts, there are very obvious defining moments/elements/symbols that are layered and woven into the piece in really impressive ways, and these form a cohesive overall image. Also, as with so many prints, seeing them in person lets you understand the art so much more.

I definitely like them as representations of the film as a whole. I just tend to gravitate to more minimal and simple designs. That's all I was trying to say. The "hang in bathroom to look at while I shit" comment was unnecessarily troll like, I admit. The one thing I do like about Tyler Stouts prints is that if the composition is busy or complex, he's also conservative with the coloring.
commish
Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
(08-14-2015, 07:32 PM)
commish's Avatar

Originally Posted by IronRinn

Tomorrow, Friday August 14th at 12 pm ET on Bottleneck: "Star Wars" prints by Marko Manev:



13" x 19" giclee prints. Numbered edition of 125. $35 each or $125 for a matching numbered set.




13" x 19" giclee prints. Numbered variant edition of 50. $35 each or $125 for a matching numbered set.

Larger images of individual prints here. Bottleneck only has a portion of the run for sale.

These are pretty awesome. Too bad they are already sold out.
fallengorn
Bitches love smiley faces
(08-14-2015, 08:04 PM)
fallengorn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Filthy Slug

Yo, what if we pool our money together and then all have joint custody of the print?

Originally Posted by LaneDS

I think moving forward this is the right move for all future prints.

Filthy Slug
Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
(08-14-2015, 08:15 PM)
Filthy Slug's Avatar

Originally Posted by fallengorn

Haha, no way, LaneDS and I are tight. He's even letting me borrow his Durieux Iron Giant for the weekend.

Right, Lane?

Right?
IronRinn
Member
(08-14-2015, 08:19 PM)
IronRinn's Avatar
Today, Friday, August 14th at 2pm CT on Posterandtoys: Phish and Dave Matthews Band by Ken Taylor:

18" x 24" screenprint, has an edition of 700 (much, much less online), $50.00


18" x 24" screenprint, has an edition of 1080 (again, few online), $40.00
Fornaximus
Member
(08-14-2015, 11:08 PM)
Fornaximus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Risible

Mats are very important to prevent the artwork from sticking to the glass. I would never put an expensive print in an unmatted frame. That being said, if it's a cheapie who cares, better to get it on the wall.

It's not cheap, but I'd rather spend the $100 and go to American Frames and get a DYI kit than ruin a Stout. Plus, they're reusable in the sense that you can just pop one poster out and pop a different one in when you want a change of scenery.

edit: just noticed you're talking about the Ansin GITS foil. HELLLLLL no. I wouldn't take the chance personally on a $350+ poster.

edit edit :) I should mention that I've had posters stick to the glass, which is why I'm saying this. Before I got into fancy-posters, back when I was in my teens/early twenties, I used to collect movie one-sheets and throw them into cheap frames. Had a few ruined by adhesion to the glass/plexi.

The price of this particular print is why it's not in a matless frame right now. Paid $400 for my Ansin GiTS variant. Just think it would look sooooo good matless in a metal frame. Oh well. Guess I should try to figure out a good mat color/style for it. I definitely want to go with the silver metal frame, as opposed to the black wood I use with all my other prints.
Risible
Member
(08-15-2015, 04:49 AM)
Risible's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fornaximus

The price of this particular print is why it's not in a matless frame right now. Paid $400 for my Ansin GiTS variant. Just think it would look sooooo good matless in a metal frame. Oh well. Guess I should try to figure out a good mat color/style for it. I definitely want to go with the silver metal frame, as opposed to the black wood I use with all my other prints.

You can go matless, but you need spacers then. I've never done it. There's tons of framing advice on expressobeans.

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewf...aea44b0e8d02c1
suplex
Member
(08-15-2015, 04:58 AM)
suplex's Avatar
I've framed up plenty of prints with no mat using spacers in a cheap frame. It's not glamorous or anything, but it's a cheap any easy way to get more prints on the wall, and it still looks good.

I've never done it with a $400 print though.

Also, I shall be trying for that Keyes. Hopefully it's not a tough drop.
Risible
Member
(08-15-2015, 05:05 AM)
Risible's Avatar

Originally Posted by suplex


Also, I shall be trying for that Keyes. Hopefully it's not a tough drop.

Keyes is always a tough drop :). Good luck!
Luderico
Member
(08-15-2015, 08:55 AM)
Luderico's Avatar

Originally Posted by IronRinn

Today, Friday, August 14th at 2pm CT on Posterandtoys: Phish and Dave Matthews Band by Ken Taylor:0

Love the prints. But not a fan of the bands. Why not a Ken Taylor Deftones Poster or Every Time I die or... Oh man. A boy can dream.
Fornaximus
Member
(08-15-2015, 03:20 PM)
Fornaximus's Avatar
I always see so many Phish prints that I might be interested in buying if it wasn't Phish.
Filthy Slug
Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
(08-15-2015, 04:03 PM)
Filthy Slug's Avatar
The best gigposters are always for jambands or, like, Dave Matthews/Black Keys and shit like that.

It sucks, but most likely your favorite band doesn't care much about the art they sell at shows.
onepiecefan
Member
(08-15-2015, 07:16 PM)
onepiecefan's Avatar

Originally Posted by IronRinn

Previews of 2 of the 4 portraits Ken Taylor is doing:

These look awesome
The Dutch Slayer
Member
(08-16-2015, 11:26 AM)
The Dutch Slayer's Avatar
Found one of my old prints that I still need to hang, had no idea that only 1000 where made in 1994 :D



see5harp
Member
(08-16-2015, 06:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Filthy Slug

The best gigposters are always for jambands or, like, Dave Matthews/Black Keys and shit like that.

It sucks, but most likely your favorite band doesn't care much about the art they sell at shows.

I've seen awesome stuff at festivals for all sorts of bands when they have poster sales. It's just I never want a poster for a show I didn't go to. Plus if I'm at a huge festival, it's sorta a pain in the ass to carry around a print so you gotta buy it at the very end of the night.
IronRinn
Member
(08-17-2015, 06:57 PM)
IronRinn's Avatar
The Last of Us set finally showed up. Thing is huge!
fallengorn
Bitches love smiley faces
(08-17-2015, 07:50 PM)
fallengorn's Avatar
Little late no the notification but prints from the last Bad Dads/Wes Anderson show by Spoke Art are up: http://store.spoke-art.com/collections/bad-dads-prints
commish
Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
(08-17-2015, 10:53 PM)
commish's Avatar

Originally Posted by fallengorn

Little late no the notification but prints from the last Bad Dads/Wes Anderson show by Spoke Art are up: http://store.spoke-art.com/collections/bad-dads-prints

Thanks. Picked up 2, which is funny because I actually attended the event here in NYC and bought nothing.
Filthy Slug
Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
(08-18-2015, 12:29 AM)
Filthy Slug's Avatar

Originally Posted by IronRinn

The Last of Us set finally showed up. Thing is huge!

Seriously, and the packaging is fucking great.
LaneDS
Member
(08-18-2015, 12:52 AM)
LaneDS's Avatar
I think I'm going to frame up the insert with the Moss artwork on it, is that weird?
Filthy Slug
Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
(08-18-2015, 02:10 AM)
Filthy Slug's Avatar

Originally Posted by LaneDS

I think I'm going to frame up the insert with the Moss artwork on it, is that weird?

Nah--I think everything about the art works so much better for the vinyl than it did for the actual print.
Pharaoh 117
Member
(08-18-2015, 03:31 AM)
Pharaoh 117's Avatar

Originally Posted by IronRinn

The Last of Us set finally showed up. Thing is huge!

Which set is that?
fallengorn
Bitches love smiley faces
(08-18-2015, 04:26 AM)
fallengorn's Avatar
Someone post pics.

Originally Posted by Pharaoh 117

Which set is that?

Vinyl soundtrack.
Pharaoh 117
Member
(08-18-2015, 05:57 AM)
Pharaoh 117's Avatar

Originally Posted by fallengorn

Vinyl soundtrack.

Oh, nice. Very cool set.
IronRinn
Member
(08-18-2015, 02:43 PM)
IronRinn's Avatar

Originally Posted by fallengorn

Someone post pics.

Someone over in the vinyl thread posted a few.
fallengorn
Bitches love smiley faces
(08-18-2015, 04:51 PM)
fallengorn's Avatar
On sale Thursday, 8/20 at a random time between 1-2pm EST, at Grey Matter Art:

Artist: Matt Ferguson
Size: 24x36
Regular Edition: 250/$50.00
Variant Edition: 150/$70.00
Foil Variant Edition: 150/$100.00
Printed by: Lady Lazarus
Browny
Banned
(08-18-2015, 05:00 PM)
Can't see myself going for a foil on this one... doesn't seem to work as well as the Iron Man one.

Might be tempted by a regular though... but if I get that, then I have to buy the others later, don't I?

Crap.
IronRinn
Member
(08-18-2015, 05:14 PM)
IronRinn's Avatar
Kevin Tong will have APs of his Ant Man print up today, Tuesday, August 18th, at a random time. He'll have regulars and variants, $80 and $200(!) respectively.

Also, keep in mind that constantly refreshing his store will get you a temp IP block. At least it used to. Not sure if he's changed that policy.
LaneDS
Member
(08-18-2015, 05:48 PM)
LaneDS's Avatar

Originally Posted by IronRinn

Also, keep in mind, constantly refreshing his store will get you a temp IP block. At least it used to. Not sure if he's changed that policy.

That is madness.

Thread Tools