• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

TheGrue
Member
(01-02-2017, 06:28 PM)
TheGrue's Avatar
Just got back into Magic after Kaladesh released. Last time I had played was in the mid 90s. This will be my first time going through the excitement of a new release and I'm pretty stoked. Will be nice to get some new cards as when playing Standard with only Kaladesh cards I'm at a huge disadvantage. Still will be, but at least I have two sets of cards to pull from.
Familienoberhauptvogel
Banned
(01-02-2017, 06:34 PM)
Puresteel Paladin as a commander is great actually. Fixes a glaring issue of CA in white.
"God's Beard!"
(01-02-2017, 06:35 PM)
"God's Beard!"'s Avatar
The metalwork colossus deck is gonna be nuts, isn't it? The pseudo chord and new Tezzeret are huge buffs.

Fatal Push works super well with the deck since it plays stuff like Metalspinner's Puzzleknots that leave the field on their own and Cultivator's Caravans that leave you with exactly one mana after playing them on 3.

UB 5-color Colossus is definitely something I have my eye on.
SigmasonicX
Member
(01-02-2017, 06:40 PM)
SigmasonicX's Avatar
I know I've had the disclaimer in the OP that we get excited about cards that may look boring to beginners from the start, but this is probably the clearest example of that.

Personally, I like improvise a lot. Despite the similarities to convoke, it seems just different enough gameplay wise to be interesting. And I'm fine with them playing it safe with the blue version of Chord of Calling.

Revolt, I'm more iffy on. I didn't get the flavor at all until I saw the video explanation, which talked about how the Consulate taking away inventions and aether is causing a revolt. So the revolt happens because something was taken or lost.

Originally Posted by Sheentak

I'm coming from yugioh and cardfight vanguard, I know the basics of magic and how to play but I've never really dived in other than a few pre built decks.
Is this a good product to get in the game? As in starting to play at locals and pre releases or is there another up coming set I should check out? Should I wait till the next block?

I recommend playing Magic Duels, which is free on Steam and mobile devices, to get used to the rules. For the paper product, you can get Planeswalker Decks, which are meant to be introductory decks. You can also check out the Prerelease for this set, which will be on January 14-15.
Etrian Oddity
Member
(01-02-2017, 06:44 PM)
Etrian Oddity's Avatar

Originally Posted by SigmasonicX

Revolt, I'm more iffy on. I didn't get the flavor at all until I saw the video explanation, which talked about how the Consulate taking away inventions and aether is causing a revolt. So the revolt happens because something was taken or lost.

It definitely seems to encourage you keeping some lands untapped so you've got mana in the bank for your opponent's end phase (on the instants).
"God's Beard!"
(01-02-2017, 06:44 PM)
"God's Beard!"'s Avatar
Actually, now that I think about it, Revolt cards like Fatal Push have a pretty great combo with Sanctum of Ugin, too.



And outside the Colossus deck, Emerge creatures like Elder Deep Fiend are also a combo.
MuddyDonut
Member
(01-02-2017, 06:47 PM)
MuddyDonut's Avatar
That Nas reference
Familienoberhauptvogel
Banned
(01-02-2017, 06:49 PM)

Originally Posted by "God's Beard!"

Actually, now that I think about it, Revolt cards like Fatal Push have a pretty great combo with Sanctum of Ugin, too.



And outside the Colossus deck, Emerge creatures like Elder Deep Fiend are also a combo.

Vessel of nascency, evolving wilds, hedron archive, tezzeret lotus petal,...
"God's Beard!"
(01-02-2017, 06:58 PM)
"God's Beard!"'s Avatar
Man, I totally forgot about Evolving Wilds. That's the real deal right there.

Plus random stuff like Inventor's Fair and the Colossus activation. Half the Colossus deck triggers Revolt.
I am Error
Member
(01-02-2017, 07:00 PM)
I am Error's Avatar
I still don't understand why they keep the energy cost printed like that.

It should be 8 E or something similar instead of EEEEEEEE (refering to Gonti's Aether Heart in this case).
Wulfric
Member
(01-02-2017, 07:01 PM)
Wulfric's Avatar

Originally Posted by red13th

Colourless Time Walk. :o

This card is a trap right? I can't see a way to break this in standard. Unless they spoil something else later on...
SigmasonicX
Member
(01-02-2017, 07:02 PM)
SigmasonicX's Avatar

Originally Posted by I am Error

I still don't understand why they keep the energy cost printed like that.

It should be 8 E or something similar instead of EEEEEEEE (refering to Gonti's Aether Heart in this case).

MaRo brought up during Kaladesh spoilers that, in retrospect, they should have spaced out energy symbols like "EEE EEE EE".

Magic Story - Revolution Begins
* Pia and Chandra head to a place where a bunch of inventors have gathered. Pia has been telling them to fight back for a long time, but with everything that happened, she thinks they only need one last push, and trusts Chandra to the job. Chandra's unsure, but she goes into a speech about how they just let Pia fight her battle alone after she lost Kiran. The audience gets indignant, saying they don't have anything to fight back with now, even if they wanted.
* Associates of Gonti appear. They take Pia, Chandra, and some others to see Gonti, who offers help through use of the various artifacts they have gathered. The price will be determined after this is over.
* Sram, senior edificer, has been working overtime to keep the Aether Hub under control. In the past, he worked to make sure aether flowed everywhere equally, but the Inventors' Fair asked for power to be drawn away from low-priority districts. This was just supposed to be temporary, but it has remained like that, and now Consulate areas are getting much more aether than the previous high-priory districts.
* Kambal arrives, and asks for a constant stream of aether to the Spire (where Tezzeret is) at a high rate, which Sram balks at, since that would drain the city's reservoirs in a week.
* The Renegades attack, and Kambal leaves before he can argue the point.
* Renegades blow up low priority points, and emergency shut-off for the aether doesn't work, since Yahenni is able to go into the pipes (they don't need to breath) and keep them open. Sram recalls that he once found an aetherborn living inside the Aether Hub pipes.
* Pia arrives on an airship, and Sram surrenders.

*At the Renegade base, Rashmi and Mitul are finishing up the large ship Tezzeret's Ruin. They only need aether from the Aether Hub to power it.
* Everyone is already calling Tezzeret's invention the Planar Bridge. I was honestly expecting some grand reveal when they confront him, but I guess not.
* Rashmi plans on leaving in the confusion of the returning victorious, since all this fighting isn't her thing, and she doesn't like working on a weapon of war.
* However, on the frame of the ship, she notices the initials KN, and on touching them, she sees a vision of Kiran's intent for this ship. Kiran loved to fly, but he also knew that he had to fight to defend his freedom and the spirit of innovation.
* This delays Rashmi long enough that she's dragged into the celebrations. She gives a speech to dedicate the ship, but instead of Tezzeret's Ruin, she names it Heart of Kiran. She looks around and realizes what they're really fighting for, and decides to stay.
Familienoberhauptvogel
Banned
(01-02-2017, 07:02 PM)

Originally Posted by I am Error

I still don't understand why they keep the energy cost printed like that.

It should be 8 E or something similar instead of EEEEEEEE (refering to Gonti's Aether Heart in this case).

Or just have it spelled out in reminder text afterwards (eight energy)
bigkrev
Member
(01-02-2017, 07:34 PM)
bigkrev's Avatar
What relevant Modern creatures does Dismember kill that this doesn't? Off the top my head, it misses Tasigur, Gurmag Angler, Reality Smasher, Drowner of Hope, and (stretching relevent) Thragtusk and random Living End monsters. Tasigur and Gurmang are both Grixis Delver cards, and Reality Smasher and Drowner are both Eldrazi cards.

It's not a great comparison (Dismember is colorless while this is Black), but this is a great Modern card. I'm kind of shocked that this isn't Rare, because playable removal spells are so out of place in current magic that this feels out of place


Originally Posted by Wulfric

This card is a trap right? I can't see a way to break this in standard. Unless they spoil something else later on...

Time Walk effects (outside of actual time walk which is cheap enough that it skirts the issue) are ALWAYS traps in tournament level constructed unless you aren't planning on letting your opponent take another turn the rest of the game (ie, you are gonna cast a bunch more Time Walks, you are looping them, ect). It's significantly more interesting as an EDH card that gives Time Walk to colors that didn't have access to it before, and it generates energy in a way that doesn't require other Energy cards.
Angry Grimace
Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
(01-02-2017, 07:38 PM)
Angry Grimace's Avatar

Originally Posted by "God's Beard!"

Man, I totally forgot about Evolving Wilds. That's the real deal right there.

Plus random stuff like Inventor's Fair and the Colossus activation. Half the Colossus deck triggers Revolt.

I'm not seeing it at all. Neither of those cards seem particularly pushed in that deck.

Why would I want to chord for a random artifact instead of playing an artifact and Fatal Push is good in every deck that can play it.
bigkrev
Member
(01-02-2017, 07:38 PM)
bigkrev's Avatar


Funny design for a card that will preorder at 4.99 and be a bulk rare in 7 weeks. Also a weird template- usually for things like this, it's a choice- something like "When X enters the battlefield, sacrifice a land or sacrifice X". On this, if you have 2 Energy, you are forced to pay it no matter what.
El Topo
Member
(01-02-2017, 07:40 PM)
El Topo's Avatar
Worst case GGG for a 3/4. Pity you cannot choose to pay. I assume they want to avoid shenanigans, like paying G for E every turn.
Imperfected
Member
(01-02-2017, 07:40 PM)
I never feel right seeing an elephant without Trample.
Angry Grimace
Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
(01-02-2017, 07:50 PM)
Angry Grimace's Avatar
I don't get why all the first day spoilers are boring.

The most exciting card is a smother variant.
bigkrev
Member
(01-02-2017, 07:53 PM)
bigkrev's Avatar

Originally Posted by Angry Grimace

I don't get why all the first day spoilers are boring.

The most exciting card is a smother variant.

They blew their wad early with the Planeswalkers a month ago, and all the inventions last week.

What is left that's going to be exciting? We aren't getting new lands or anything
Joe Molotov
(01-02-2017, 08:08 PM)
Joe Molotov's Avatar


2 for a 4/3 seems p. good
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(01-02-2017, 08:09 PM)
Haly's Avatar
Oh, the elephant triggers revolt.

That's cute.
Imperfected
Member
(01-02-2017, 08:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Haly

Oh, the elephant triggers revolt.

That's cute.

Elephants are known to be subversive rabble-rousers.
Etrian Oddity
Member
(01-02-2017, 08:28 PM)
Etrian Oddity's Avatar

Originally Posted by Imperfected

I never feel right seeing an elephant without Trample.

I hope Amonkhet brings back elephant stompy tribal. *cough*
bigkrev
Member
(01-02-2017, 08:29 PM)
bigkrev's Avatar
Revolt is a mechanic that punishes trading defensively

PV, who already considers Kaladesh on the level of Zendiksr wrt limited speed might be vindicated
An-Det
Member
(01-02-2017, 08:30 PM)

Originally Posted by red13th

Fatal Push picture

seems nice.

Damn, I can't wait to play this Snapcaster Mage.
Ooccoo
Member
(01-02-2017, 08:36 PM)
Ooccoo's Avatar
I want new cards for my Pauper Cube =(
Supast4r
Junior Member
(01-02-2017, 08:38 PM)
Supast4r's Avatar

Originally Posted by Angry Grimace

I don't get why all the first day spoilers are boring.

The most exciting card is a smother variant.

the best black removal for constucted formats in years just got printed and you call today boring
Familienoberhauptvogel
Banned
(01-02-2017, 08:45 PM)

Originally Posted by Supast4r

the best black removal for constucted formats in years just got printed and you call today boring

It's not splashy. Cathartic Reunion broke modern, blossoming defense further elevated infect but those were boring reveals as well.

It's a card that will just slot into existing decks it won't make new decks in standard or modern.
OnPoint
Member
(01-02-2017, 08:49 PM)
OnPoint's Avatar

Originally Posted by Familienoberhauptvogel

It's not splashy. Cathartic Reunion broke modern, blossoming defense further elevated infect but those were boring reveals as well.

It's a card that will just slot into existing decks it won't make new decks in standard or modern.

I remember people here telling me I was crazy for seeing that coming. That card is stupid.
Supast4r
Junior Member
(01-02-2017, 08:50 PM)
Supast4r's Avatar

Originally Posted by Familienoberhauptvogel

It's not splashy. Cathartic Reunion broke modern, blossoming defense further elevated infect but those were boring reveals as well.

It's a card that will just slot into existing decks it won't make new decks in standard or modern.

I will quote you on that. I expect things to drastically change because that card exists. Many decks like Sultai were held back by their removal options. Also reunion did not break modern. Infect is a better deck than dredge is... Evolving wilds also exists to proc the card as well.
Angry Grimace
Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
(01-02-2017, 08:53 PM)
Angry Grimace's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov



2 for a 4/3 seems p. good

WOTC won't rest until Standard has fallen
El Topo
Member
(01-02-2017, 08:55 PM)
El Topo's Avatar
It's nice that the elephant enables Revolt. Didn't immediately notice that.
bigkrev
Member
(01-02-2017, 08:56 PM)
bigkrev's Avatar
SaffronOlive on twitter- Rampager, Servsnt of the Conduit and Paradox Engine is an infinite loop if you can start at zero energy. Aetherflux Resevoir makes it a kill/infinite life
Hero
Member
(01-02-2017, 08:58 PM)
Hero's Avatar
Familienoberhauptvogel
Banned
(01-02-2017, 09:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Supast4r

I will quote you on that. I expect things to drastically change because that card exists. Many decks like Sultai were held back by their removal options. Also reunion did not break modern. Infect is a better deck than dredge is... Evolving wilds also exists to proc the card as well.

So what if infect is a better deck? Dredge warped modern around itself for weeks, decks like Fish and Affinity got hit in the crossfires since people main decked anger, skred red moved up,... It was a menace on the format.

Go ahead and quote me, I like sultai anyway. Played around with a Thopter Swords sultai deck for some time.
Supast4r
Junior Member
(01-02-2017, 09:16 PM)
Supast4r's Avatar

Originally Posted by Familienoberhauptvogel

So what if infect is a better deck? Dredge warped modern around itself for weeks, decks like Fish and Affinity got hit in the crossfires since people main decked anger, skred red moved up,... It was a menace on the format.

Go ahead and quote me, I like sultai anyway. Played around with a Thopter Swords sultai deck for some time.

Busted implies that it's the best deck. Busted = gamebreaking. Dredge still is a tier 1 deck. People adjusted. It's just like when nahiri control decks came around and you had dumbasses on SCG saying that nahiri "should be banned." The meta adjusted and here we are today. If sultai is good it won't be because thopter sword. It will literally play like jund but play Jace VP/thought scour.
Familienoberhauptvogel
Banned
(01-02-2017, 09:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Supast4r

Busted implies that it's the best deck. Busted = gamebreaking. Dredge still is a tier 1 deck. People adjusted. It's just like when nahiri control decks came around and you had dumbasses on SCG saying that nahiri "should be banned." The meta adjusted and here we are today. If sultai is good it won't be because thopter sword. It will literally play like jund but play Jace VP/thought scour.

I didn't call it busted nor did I say Thopter Sword would be the way to build Sultai.
I'll stand by saying Dredge broke modern for a period of time, far more than Nahiri ever did. When she was top people started sideboarding celestial purge. Conventional sideboards weren't enough to stop dredge.
bigkrev
Member
(01-02-2017, 09:24 PM)
bigkrev's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hero

This is a great twist on the lords. It only affects stuff that comes after it, but balances it out by making the buffs perminant even if the lord itself dies. It's also the first 2 mana lord for a lot of tribes!
Angry Grimace
Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
(01-02-2017, 09:28 PM)
Angry Grimace's Avatar
My WB Fabricate deck getting more toys
Ashodin
Member
(01-02-2017, 09:32 PM)
Ashodin's Avatar
So so so so many cards

I LOVE SRAM DUDE!!!! Draw cards for equipment!!!!

Turn 1 inventor goggles, turn 2 mimic naming artificer, equip goggles, turn 3 drop two more artificer... Mmmmm
bigkrev
Member
(01-02-2017, 09:35 PM)
bigkrev's Avatar
How does our new lord interact with


Servo is the creature type on all the Servo tokens, so is this basically Thopter-Sword in standard?
Hero
Member
(01-02-2017, 09:36 PM)
Hero's Avatar

Originally Posted by bigkrev

This is a great twist on the lords. It only affects stuff that comes after it, but balances it out by making the buffs perminant even if the lord itself dies. It's also the first 2 mana lord for a lot of tribes!

Yeah I'm excited for the reasons you mention. I kind of wonder if this has a place in Modern slivers since having that counter could be important since a tough match up is burn since you can't build them up quick enough to get out of bolt range.



Firemind
Member
(01-02-2017, 09:40 PM)
Firemind's Avatar
Going by the first wave of spoilers, the first spoiled red card that isn't common is going to be terrible, isn't it?
Infinite Stars
Member
(01-02-2017, 09:52 PM)
Infinite Stars's Avatar

Originally Posted by Firemind

Going by the first wave of spoilers, the first spoiled red card that isn't common is going to be terrible, isn't it?

Red will get a 3 Mana "as an additional cost discard card destroy Artifact" and be happy with it /s
Infinite Stars
Member
(01-02-2017, 09:53 PM)
Infinite Stars's Avatar

Originally Posted by bigkrev

SaffronOlive on twitter- Rampager, Servsnt of the Conduit and Paradox Engine is an infinite loop if you can start at zero energy. Aetherflux Resevoir makes it a kill/infinite life

Mono Green Storm here we come

Edit, crap, double posted. Meant to edit .
Angry Grimace
Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
(01-02-2017, 09:54 PM)
Angry Grimace's Avatar

Originally Posted by Infinite Stars

Red will get a 3 Mana "as an additional cost discard card destroy Artifact" and be happy with it /s

"As an additional cost ante a card"
Hero
Member
(01-02-2017, 09:59 PM)
Hero's Avatar
As an additional cost to cast this card let your opponent punch you in the dick/vagina. Pretty much red in a nutshell.
Crocodile
Member
(01-02-2017, 10:02 PM)
Crocodile's Avatar
Limited Resources Preview Cards:





I like the snake. There have been a few good cards today (with Fatal Push at the top) but I can't say this has been the strongest official start to a spoiler season ever :/
Infinite Stars
Member
(01-02-2017, 10:03 PM)
Infinite Stars's Avatar

Originally Posted by Angry Grimace

"As an additional cost ante a card"

Originally Posted by Hero

As an additional cost to cast this card let your opponent punch you in the dick/vagina. Pretty much red in a nutshell.

As an additional cost, you must sacrifice all lands you control. If you don't, you lose the game at the beginning of your next upkeep.


Lol at Winding Constrictor's interaction with infect. It's great with Energy though.

Thread Tools