• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Sakujou
(03-19-2017, 11:15 PM)
any guide a GAFer can recommend to get into stocks n stuff?
something which is readable and where you maybe can start early/easy off?
BeforeU
Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
(03-20-2017, 12:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Sakujou

any guide a GAFer can recommend to get into stocks n stuff?
something which is readable and where you maybe can start early/easy off?

where are you from? You need to find an online brokerage first.
Usobuko
(03-20-2017, 03:22 PM)
I'm glad I got into nvidia at 96.50

Was wondering when to pull the trigger all these time.
Evon
(03-20-2017, 07:24 PM)
AUPH up to 9 USD (+17%) already today. Glad that I bought in last week when it was stable at ~7.70 USD. Thanks for the tip, ColdPizza.
ColdPizza
(03-20-2017, 07:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Evon

AUPH up to 9 USD (+17%) already today. Glad that I bought in last week when it was stable at ~7.70 USD. Thanks for the tip, ColdPizza.

Just don't be mad at me if this dips back down from here. =)

I suspect their latest offering is closing today, hence the move up.

Hoping this will test new highs later this week.
Maybesew
(03-20-2017, 09:10 PM)

Originally Posted by ColdPizza

Just don't be mad at me if this dips back down from here. =)

I suspect their latest offering is closing today, hence the move up.

Hoping this will test new highs later this week.

I'd be fine with it hanging out here for a couple weeks, my puts expire in 32 days.
kiunchbb
www.dictionary.com
(03-20-2017, 10:16 PM)
GNMX -60% today, gg no re. Still up in 2016 overall, but this hurts, may be there's a chance to re-enter.
ColdPizza
(03-21-2017, 12:02 AM)
AUPH data being presented on Sunday/Monday. Probably won't move the stock a lot but I'm feeling confident it will be positive.
haveheart
(03-21-2017, 12:08 PM)
Is it still a good time to get nVidia?

Now that we know they're doing the Switch chips? Nvidia has been on a constant rise for a year now.

What's the infleunce of the new AMD stuff (Ryzen, Vega) on them? They are too stable right?

And isn't it a pretty bad time for Vega? I got the feeling that everyone bought new graphics cards last year and there won't be low end Vega cards, right?
BeforeU
(03-21-2017, 01:00 PM)

Originally Posted by haveheart

Is it still a good time to get nVidia?

Now that we know they're doing the Switch chips? Nvidia has been on a constant rise for a year now.

What's the infleunce of the new AMD stuff (Ryzen, Vega) on them? They are too stable right?

And isn't it a pretty bad time for Vega? I got the feeling that everyone bought new graphics cards last year and there won't be low end Vega cards, right?

Yes i think nvidia is a good buy for long term but not because of the reasons you have listed lol i dont think couple of million more switch sell will change their outcome but their work in automobile will start to pay off.
ColdPizza
(03-21-2017, 02:44 PM)
Haha, and there goes AUPH again
ClosingADoor
(03-21-2017, 04:24 PM)
What's the panic in the steel market? Going down a fair bit and hit my buy order. See if it recovers again in the next few days.
ColdPizza
(03-21-2017, 04:36 PM)

Originally Posted by ClosingADoor

What's the panic in the steel market? Going down a fair bit and hit my buy order. See if it recovers again in the next few days.

entire market is going red today it seems
Joe
(03-21-2017, 08:17 PM)
I'm guessing SNAP has been up the past couple of days on news of Apple's AR glasses interest? Helps make Spectacles more legitimate?
BeforeU
(03-21-2017, 11:39 PM)
Fuck everything went down today.
ClosingADoor
(03-22-2017, 11:50 AM)
Buy the dip or are we in for a larger downturn... Couldn't go up forever of course.
Ether_Snake
安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
(03-22-2017, 01:18 PM)
A lot is emerging about Trump and his gang, so I would suspect some chaos ahead.
Maybesew
(03-22-2017, 06:33 PM)

Buy the dip or are we in for a larger downturn... Couldn't go up forever of course.

I thought this graph was kinda interesting. It shows how long we've gone without even a 5-10% correction.

Ether_Snake
安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
(03-23-2017, 01:23 AM)

Originally Posted by Maybesew

I thought this graph was kinda interesting. It shows how long we've gone without even a 5-10% correction.

You know that means Trump is getting arrested. Something has to bring it down.
Mrbob
how can the baaasheep
enjoy the shootbang?
(03-23-2017, 03:04 AM)
Tomorrow might be the trigger of the GOP can't push their health care package. We need a 5 to 10 percent pullback as the market has run too high since election. Well the USA market at least. I still think developed overseas and a little emerging market is where to be right now but I could be wrong.
Ether_Snake
安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
(03-23-2017, 03:05 AM)
I expect the bill to pass though, unless there are huge developments tomorrow that would make the GOP want to distance themselves from Trump in every imaginable aspects. Doubtful that would happen tomorrow.
Maybesew
(03-23-2017, 05:54 AM)
Anyone going to play the Game Stop earnings announcement?
BeforeU
(03-23-2017, 02:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Mrbob

Tomorrow might be the trigger of the GOP can't push their health care package. We need a 5 to 10 percent pullback as the market has run too high since election. Well the USA market at least. I still think developed overseas and a little emerging market is where to be right now but I could be wrong.

US market affects EVERYTHING even emerging market depends on US. Everything will go down.

I put an order to sell GOOG at 850 couple of days ago and was under the impression it went through, but it didnt and it has dropped almost 3% since lol i am going to hold though
kiunchbb
www.dictionary.com
(03-23-2017, 03:40 PM)
It is really hard to time the crash, every quarter someone predicted a crash and yet it been going up every year. May be Obama just did fine job of building our economy.

If I have to make a bet, the crash will probably happen 1 or 2 years after the tax cut and deregulation actually happened.

Anyone remember what stocks performs relatively well during the previous crash? Wasn't it McDonald, Walmart, and a few food companies?
ColdPizza
(03-23-2017, 05:05 PM)

Originally Posted by kiunchbb

It is really hard to time the crash, every quarter someone predicted a crash and yet it been going up every year. May be Obama just did fine job of building our economy.

If I have to make a bet, the crash will probably happen 1 or 2 years after the tax cut and deregulation actually happened.

Anyone remember what stocks performs relatively well during the previous crash? Wasn't it McDonald, Walmart, and a few food companies?

in the meantime i'll be building up my savings to invest when that happens
Maybesew
(03-23-2017, 06:45 PM)

depends on what you mean by relatively well. everything got whacked hard

edit: looking back at a chart WMT actually did reasonable, MCD got slammed but came back too
Last edited by Maybesew; 03-23-2017 at 06:48 PM.
BeforeU
(03-24-2017, 03:28 AM)

Doesnt Gold always go up when everything crashes? Right now is a good time to buy Gold
Celcius
(03-24-2017, 04:05 AM)
Looking forward to selling some of the stock I own in the company that I work for tomorrow.
Captain Smoker
"Hey! What's your name
  then?"
"Mancomb Seepgood."
(03-24-2017, 12:04 PM)
Micron Technology +10% in After Hours after they posted good results for the last quarter.

I'm +20% now, still going to hold it a bit.

Since it was my biggest single investment until yet it's quite a nice result. :)
jeremy70583
(03-24-2017, 09:26 PM)
Wanted to get your guys opinon on this.
I've been socking all my extra cash in ally for an emergency fund. I'm reaching close to 20k and am investing $500/mo in robinhood. I was thinking about moving half of that emergency fund into investments so it could earn more than 1%. I was thinking one of the Vanguard funds. Any advice?
ClosingADoor
(03-24-2017, 10:05 PM)

Originally Posted by jeremy70583

I've been socking all my extra cash in ally for an emergency fund. I'm reaching close to 20k and am investing $500/mo in robinhood. I was thinking about moving half of that emergency fund into investments so it could earn more than 1%. I was thinking one of the Vanguard funds. Any advice?

Have a look at http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749978

Take a certain amount of income as an emergency fund like you have now (I do 6 months of expenses). The rest goes into investments.

Vanguard funds are good and cheap. I am in their Total Market and S&P 500 ETFs. Depends a bit on your goals though. Is this for the very long term, or do you plan to use the money sooner? That might impact if you just throw it all in now or not.
jeremy70583
(03-24-2017, 10:18 PM)

Have a look at http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749978

Take a certain amount of income as an emergency fund like you have now (I do 6 months of expenses). The rest goes into investments.

Vanguard funds are good and cheap. I am in their Total Market and S&P 500 ETFs. Depends a bit on your goals though. Is this for the very long term, or do you plan to use the money sooner? That might impact if you just throw it all in now or not.

Thanks!

This is pretty long term, as I don't really have a need for the money minus catastrophe. I'm already maxing out Roth IRA and 401k and investing in RobinHood on the side. Just wanted to put my extra money to work.
kiunchbb
www.dictionary.com
(03-26-2017, 06:23 PM)

Look at I Bond Treasury direct. I did not own any myself, but the inflation one is 2.7%. You can't withdraw it within 12 months, 3 months interest penalty if withdraw less than 5 years. The interest in Federal taxable but no state tax.

There's a 10k purchase limit per SSN per year, so layer it out by buying some every 6 months so not all your money are locked at the same time.
Joe
(03-26-2017, 08:39 PM)
Are there any good sources for quarterly or bi-annual sector outlooks? Because I can't find any.

Edit: Found this Q1 2017 Market Update from Fidelity and it's really informative. Thought this yearly ranking of asset performances was really interesting to look at:

Last edited by Joe; 03-27-2017 at 02:05 AM.
Ether_Snake
安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
(03-27-2017, 01:51 AM)
Watch out over the next two weeks, it's extremely unlikely that Trump's big infrastructure bill can go through with what happened this week, so the markets are likely to tank.

Originally Posted by Joe

Are there any good sources for quarterly or bi-annual sector outlooks? Because I can't find any.

Edit: Found this Q1 2017 Market Update from Fidelity (.pdf) and it's really informative. Thought this yearly ranking of asset performances was really interesting to look at:

Sure makes it look like putting money in small cap stocks is the best thing you can do.
Last edited by Ether_Snake; 03-27-2017 at 01:53 AM.
Joe
(03-27-2017, 02:03 AM)

Originally Posted by Ether_Snake

Watch out over the next two weeks, it's extremely unlikely that Trump's big infrastructure bill can go through with what happened this week, so the markets are likely to tank.

Sure makes it look like putting money in small cap stocks is the best thing you can do.

Use this interactive table to more easily view performances: https://institutional.fidelity.com/a...569_30073.html
Last edited by Joe; 03-27-2017 at 02:06 AM.
FliXFantatier
(03-27-2017, 02:11 AM)

I don't think you understood the graph.
The top row isn't always small caps the order is colour coded to the different investment types, top row being the best performer in a given time frame.
The entire point of the table is to show how important it is to diversify and not put everything into an S&P500 ETF.
Last edited by FliXFantatier; 03-27-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Ether_Snake
安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
(03-27-2017, 04:56 AM)
I was more basing this on how its worst performance in the past 20 years was 5% in the 2008 crisis.
Husker86
(03-27-2017, 07:18 AM)

Originally Posted by FliXFantatier

I don't think you understood the graph.
The top row isn't always small caps the order is cooler coded to the different investment types, top row being the best performer in a given time frame..

Ohhhh. That makes more sense.
ClosingADoor
(03-27-2017, 09:07 AM)
Ouch... Everything in the red. Some stuff by 2 or 3 percent. Hopefully some recovery over the week.
BeforeU
(03-27-2017, 01:10 PM)
Fuck mam fuck, now I really regret not selling GOOG :( i know that thinking about ifs is not realistic but i am never right :(
Maybesew
(03-27-2017, 09:06 PM)
quite the intraday comeback/rally
FliXFantatier
(03-27-2017, 11:51 PM)
Last edited by FliXFantatier; 03-28-2017 at 03:11 AM.
SonicXtreme
(03-27-2017, 11:59 PM)

I was more basing this on how its worst performance in the past 20 years was 5% in the 2008 crisis.

What? it was -34% that year...
Ether_Snake
安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
(03-28-2017, 12:41 AM)

Originally Posted by SonicXtreme

What? it was -34% that year...

Small caps were up 5%
Husker86
(03-28-2017, 01:48 AM)

Small caps were up 5%

You're reading the chart wrong (so was I). The legend on the right is not "lined up" with the rest of the chart. It's just a legend.
WoodWERD
(03-28-2017, 02:48 PM)
TSLA back up as Tencent acquires 5%. I like it!
ColdPizza
(03-28-2017, 04:35 PM)
wow, looks like i fucked up by selling panera too early at $237....it's taking off
jeremy70583
(Yesterday, 03:23 PM)
I've taken half of my emergency fund and put it in a vanguard brokerage account. Now I need to decide whether I want to buy mutual funds or ETFs...anyone have an opinion?
Walter White Walker
(Yesterday, 03:51 PM)

I've taken half of my emergency fund and put it in a vanguard brokerage account. Now I need to decide whether I want to buy mutual funds or ETFs...anyone have an opinion?

ETFs are more tax efficient so that's what you want.

https://www.fidelity.com/learning-ce...tax-efficiency
http://www.investopedia.com/articles...efficiency.asp