• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

MikeHattsu
(03-17-2017, 11:31 PM)

Originally Posted by TCRS

question: where do car enthusiasts go in tokyo? any good museums? most of the car manufacturers are outside of tokyo..

Go to Toyota Mega Web in Odaiba and don't forget to check out the History Garage there either:
http://www.megaweb.gr.jp/about/english.html
Polioliolio
(03-18-2017, 12:47 AM)

Originally Posted by MikeHattsu

Um... What's your itinerary look like? And what airports are you arriving at and leaving from?

I'm arriving in Narita at 2:25pm
Going to go out on a limb and assume I'm going to feel wrecked from the flight... But, I might not. Thankfully, it's a straight shot from Dallas, and a 13 hour flight. I've had worse.

If I'm feeling fresh, I might get to Tokyo, grab a hotel near Akihabara, take a shower, maybe a short nap, get out and check out some stores, get some food, and spend the night in the hotel. The next day, I'd check out in the morning and head to Nagoya. This is probably the ideal plan.

But if I'm completely beat, I might turn into the hotel, sleep, refresh completely. Next day, run some shops and... well it seems like if I wait too long, I may as well stay for a second day, especially if I have to check out by 11am. Anything else worth doing in Tokyo? I'm not much for touristy type stuff. I just want to hit up these board game stores:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...137669647&z=15

And will probably run into other interesting things while doing it.

First option sounds pretty good though, as long as these stores are open till.. I dunno.. 8 or 9? I could probably get a rest in and feel good enough to go out.

Once I go to Nagoya, I don't have any set plans other than hanging out with friends I used to work with. I'm leaving on the 1st, so on the days between getting into Nagoya, and hanging out with pals, I definitely want to go to that legendary Dinosaur Museum in Fukui, which isn't too far. I may also like to go to that awesome Aquarium in Osaka again, and may revisit Den Den town while I'm at it which I can do in the Aquarium trip out.

So after coming into Nagoya, I may take 2 or 3 trips a couple hours out to see some sights.

Haven't looked into it yet, but if they aren't too far, might want to see that town full of dolls and any town full of hordes of animals, like deer or monkeys or anything like that, heh.

edit: OH.. And what's the best way to have phone service in Japan? My situation is, my pregnant girlfriend wants to be able to text or call me at any moment, should something unexpected come up. Is the best option to get her a phone card to be able to... call my friend's phone? Or can I pick up a pre-pay phone in Japan and receive international calls from the US via phone card? I had expected there would be some kind of prepay phone you can buy at best buy or walmart, made for vacation travel, but I haven't seen any such thing. Verizon, my carrier, has some international plan, 10 bucks a day, but my primitive phone isn't compatible, apparently.
Last edited by Polioliolio; 03-18-2017 at 12:51 AM.
MikeHattsu
(03-18-2017, 01:05 AM)
You need to list all the dates and what airport you're leaving from if you want help :p

Can't your girlfriend call your friend directly from whatever phone she got?

The cheapest if you want to habe your own phone in Japan would be if your friend bought one in their name. Otherwise you need to mess around with international sim cards or rent a phone. You're not allowed to buy a phone with contract or a call enabled sim card yourself in Japan.

Oh, and if by text you mean sms, then it might not work at all depending on what network her phone uses and what network whatever phone you're using in Japan is on since Japanese sms operator networks aren't compatible with eachother. Everybody uses either email or some kind of chat program like Line on their phones instead of sms.
Last edited by MikeHattsu; 03-18-2017 at 01:20 AM.
Polioliolio
(03-18-2017, 01:20 AM)
The airport I'm leaving from?

Well I'm leaving from Cleveland Hopkins Airport at 7:28am to Dallas, and the Dallas to Narita flight is at 10:50am, arriving at 2:25pm.

Leaving Japan on April 1st at 2:50pm from Nagoya airport.

I don't need a hotel while staying in Nagoya. I'm staying with a friend. Just looking for a place for a night or two initially in Tokyo before heading out to Nagoya.

As for the train pass.. well. I'm not sure the dates I'm planning on doing those things. Probably between the 25th and the 29th, but again I could do them sooner or later if it meant getting a specific deal on a pass if there's an optimal time to do so.

Thanks again for the help.
MikeHattsu
(03-18-2017, 01:27 AM)
You've still not mentioned which date you're arriving in Japan
Imp the Dimp
(03-18-2017, 02:05 AM)
Is there a good Tokyo meet up forum somewhere? Intending to give the city a visit this year. I definitely want to meet people though.
Polioliolio
(03-18-2017, 02:12 AM)
Oh, sorry! I'm leaving on the 20th and arriving on the 21st.
MikeHattsu
(03-18-2017, 02:18 AM)

Originally Posted by Polioliolio

Oh, sorry! I'm leaving on the 20th and arriving on the 21st.

Since you're going from Tokyo to Nagoya, and are visiting both Fukui and Osaka you should get a 7 day JR Pass. You could activate it on the 21st when you arrive in Tokyo so you could also take the NEX from Narita to Tokyo. You would then have to go to both Osaka and Fukui by the 27th. If you decide not to go to either Osaka or Fukui, just 1 of them instead of both, then it's not worth buying the JR Pass.

It might be too late to order a JR Pass online and get it shipped to your location, but you're lucky since they have a trial for selling them in Japan now, so you can buy one at Narita airport. Any earlier month and you'd be SOL.
Last edited by MikeHattsu; 03-18-2017 at 02:24 AM.
Laevateinn
(03-18-2017, 10:45 PM)
So how annoyingly full of tourists can I expect Fushimi Inari and the Philosopher's Walk to be during Hanami?
MikeHattsu
(03-18-2017, 10:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Laevateinn

So how annoyingly full of tourists can I expect Fushimi Inari and the Philosopher's Walk to be during Hanami?

Go really early and avoid most of the crowds :p
Lego Boss
(03-19-2017, 04:14 PM)
OK everyone, here's a challenge for you:

My daughter is making her first holy communion and needs to go to (Catholic) church during Lent and especially Easter Sunday.

Does anyone know of a Catholic Church in or near central Osaka?
Laevateinn
(03-19-2017, 04:52 PM)

Originally Posted by Lego Boss

OK everyone, here's a challenge for you:

My daughter is making her first holy communion and needs to go to (Catholic) church during Lent and especially Easter Sunday.

Does anyone know of a Catholic Church in or near central Osaka?

Not Catholic and haven't been to Osaka yet but this one looks like it would be easy to get to.
JEKKI
(03-19-2017, 09:44 PM)
grrr... just spent like 8 days in Japan, using a 3GB sim card from econnect;

I had to top that thing off like twice! costed me over $25 extra!!

too much Pokemon Go!!

I dont like pocket wifis; I dont like carrying around an extra device, they never seem to work everywhere, especially in underground subways, and I remember not being able to reliably use instagram,

but may have to consider them for the next trip just to have unlimited... who knew 3GB would be used up in like 5/6 days...
Mairu
(03-19-2017, 10:58 PM)

Originally Posted by JEKKI

grrr... just spent like 8 days in Japan, using a 3GB sim card from econnect;

I had to top that thing off like twice! costed me over $25 extra!!

too much Pokemon Go!!

I dont like pocket wifis; I dont like carrying around an extra device, they never seem to work everywhere, especially in underground subways, and I remember not being able to reliably use instagram,

but may have to consider them for the next trip just to have unlimited... who knew 3GB would be used up in like 5/6 days...

I use the pocket wifis from GAC each time, but I use a ton of data. It's expensive, but I've found them to be reliable, fast, and I definitely take advantage of the unlimited data (one week and a half trip I used like 60GB)
ThreePiMatt
(03-19-2017, 11:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Mairu

I use the pocket wifis from GAC each time, but I use a ton of data. It's expensive, but I've found them to be reliable, fast, and I definitely take advantage of the unlimited data (one week and a half trip I used like 60GB)

How the hell are you using that much data while traveling? I make sure to do any video or podcast downloading on hotel WiFi. I've never come close to hitting a data cap.
KillGore
(03-19-2017, 11:12 PM)
So I'm thinking of purchasing the pocket wifi from here https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/comm...se-pocket-wifi

any thoughts? Also getting the JR pass from them
MikeHattsu
(03-19-2017, 11:33 PM)

Originally Posted by KillGore

So I'm thinking of purchasing the pocket wifi from here https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/comm...se-pocket-wifi

They're just a middleman service for Global Advanced Comm for pocket WiFi.

Originally Posted by ThreePiMatt

How the hell are you using that much data while traveling? I make sure to do any video or podcast downloading on hotel WiFi. I've never come close to hitting a data cap.

I've been in Japan for 1 month+ and not even used 10GB myself :p
Last edited by MikeHattsu; 03-19-2017 at 11:40 PM.
KillGore
(03-20-2017, 02:31 AM)

They're just a middleman service for Global Advanced Comm for pocket WiFi.

Ok. Is it a good service? Can I find it cheaper directly with them? apparently it's unlimited data?
JEKKI
(03-20-2017, 08:07 AM)

Originally Posted by Mairu

aw man, I remembered tho that pocket wifi charges per day.

So my sim cost me about 5300Y after tax, topped up twice at 1800 and 1200, so total was 8300Y. Gotta make sure to note this next time comparing the cost, coz data cap aside I am genuinely happy with the service.

Originally Posted by ThreePiMatt

Pokemon Go! you can hatch 5KM eggs no problem in Japan with all the walking yo do! lol.

but also I spent 2 days in Nagoya with unreliable wifi so I was reliant on my phone while resting there, including using it as a hotspot so I can browse on my tablet. Pretty sure that was a big contributor to hitting my cap too.
TheBryanJZX90
(03-20-2017, 08:30 AM)

Originally Posted by TCRS

man I'm jelly of you guys stying 2-3 weeks.. :/

oh well better 1 week than nothing. and then maybe in 25 years again :)

question: where do car enthusiasts go in tokyo? any good museums? most of the car manufacturers are outside of tokyo..

Nissan hq is nearby which I'm planning on visiting. I also currently drive a Nissan so that's nice I guess :)

The History Garage in Odaiba is probably the easiest and best place to access on foot. It's operated by Toyota but isn't limited to Toyota products or even JDM products. But other than that it might actually be hard to get to a lot of the good places by public transport. Most of the big showrooms near train lines like mega web are just focused on the current lineups of boring people movers. If you have access to a car then everything opens up a lot more. You can go to Daikoku Futo on a weekend night and see who shows up. You can go and check out some tuning shops, although that is pretty hit and miss if you get somewhere that will actually be worth going to just to see. Wander around in Autobacs or Up Garage!

But really what you need to find out is if there are any specific events while you are there. Odaiba often has car shows, along with Minato Mirai in Yokohama. Or if you are cool with spending at least a day on it, head out to Nikko Circuit or Fuji Speedway. The Honda museum at Motegi is great. It just depends on what is going on.

Edit: for events, it can be difficult to find a good comprehensive list in English of what's going on. My recommendation would be to go to speedhunters.com, and search for posts by Dino Dalle Carbonare that were written around the time you will be in Japan, just from last year or the year before. That should give you some ideas about what kinds of events get held when.
Last edited by TheBryanJZX90; 03-20-2017 at 08:39 AM.
I am thinking right now to go to the Japan F1 GP in October. Suzuka is pretty much in the middle between Osaka and Tokio.

Any brainstorming ideas of interesting places there? Would also work out pretty nicely with the GAF's Trip.
MikeHattsu
(03-20-2017, 10:41 AM)

Originally Posted by PdotMichael

I am thinking right now to go to the Japan F1 GP in October. Suzuka is pretty much in the middle between Osaka and Tokio.

Any brainstorming ideas of interesting places there? Would also work out pretty nicely with the GAF's Trip.

Couldn't you just stay in Nagoya?
danowat
(03-20-2017, 10:47 AM)
Hmmm.......considering the Gundam Statue has gone, I might now add the History Garage in instead, that's right up my street.
Lego Boss
(03-20-2017, 11:04 AM)

Not Catholic and haven't been to Osaka yet but this one looks like it would be easy to get to.

Thanks for that. Looks easy to get to too!

Couldn't you just stay in Nagoya?

Well, I could. Though I don't know if the place would justify a week. The alternative would be moving to Tokyo after the GP and going crazy with a Japan Rail Pass.
Last edited by PdotMichael; 03-20-2017 at 11:39 AM.
MikeHattsu
(03-20-2017, 12:09 PM)

Originally Posted by PdotMichael

Well, I could. Though I don't know if the place would justify a week. The alternative would be moving to Tokyo after the GP and going crazy with a Japan Rail Pass.

Could do day trips to the Shima peninsula, Inuyama to check out the castle, Kiso valley, maybe even Takayama and check out Moricoro Park in Nagakute as well. :P
Last edited by MikeHattsu; 03-20-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Eldainorn
(03-20-2017, 01:46 PM)

I would say give it a go. I have bought jr pass twice now but from this site: https://www.jrpass.com. And I also always ordered pocket wifi (it was from Ninja Wifi) while I was at it. Worked flawlessly, always had a connection.

It can be a bit pricy (3 weeks was around 110) but if you do not travel alone it can get pretty cheap.
MikeHattsu
(03-20-2017, 01:53 PM)

Ok. Is it a good service? Can I find it cheaper directly with them? apparently it's unlimited data?

Depending on how much data you're going to use and how long you're going to need it there's better and/or cheaper companies to get Pocket WiFi from.
Laevateinn
(03-20-2017, 02:17 PM)
I can't imagine how people go through so much data. I'll be using mine for maps, restaurant info, looking at my game collection on RF generation, and using gchat. I almost wish I could save a few thousand yen by getting even less data.
MikeHattsu
(03-20-2017, 02:19 PM)

I can't imagine how people go through so much data. I'll be using mine for maps, restaurant info, looking at my game collection on RF generation, and using gchat. I almost wish I could save a few thousand yen by getting even less data.

Where are you renting from then?
Laevateinn
(03-20-2017, 02:33 PM)

Where are you renting from then?

We got ours from the Wi-Fi rental store. If there's something with less data I'll probably get it on our next trip. Price wasn't bad and it's always better to have too much data I guess. I just figure if I can save 2000 yen on two that could be another Saturn game I can fit into my budget not that I'm being super strict.
MikeHattsu
(03-20-2017, 02:51 PM)

We got ours from the Wi-Fi rental store. If there's something with less data I'll probably get it on our next trip. Price wasn't bad and it's always better to have too much data I guess. I just figure if I can save 2000 yen on two that could be another Saturn game I can fit into my budget not that I'm being super strict.

Well, if you're staying for 12 days or more and you're sure you don't need that much data, you could check out tocoo:
https://wifi.tocoo.jp/en/product.php
Laevateinn
(03-20-2017, 03:08 PM)

Well, if you're staying for 12 days or more and you're sure you don't need that much data, you could check out tocoo:
https://wifi.tocoo.jp/en/product.php

That's a much better deal. I'll put that in my Japan travel excel file for next time. This is probably as much as we need and it's a lot more economical.

Last time I didn't have to worry about it because T-Mobile is great for international travel. Too bad they suck in Chicago.
MikeHattsu
(03-20-2017, 03:46 PM)

That's a much better deal. I'll put that in my Japan travel excel file for next time. This is probably as much as we need and it's a lot more economical.

Should keep an eye on the one you're renting now and see how much data you're using (if it's one with a touch screen).
Laevateinn
(03-20-2017, 04:24 PM)
Our rail passes arrived. Everything is coming together.

Should keep an eye on the one you're renting now and see how much data you're using (if it's one with a touch screen).

I'll do this for sure.
MikeHattsu
(03-20-2017, 04:29 PM)
Minato City (aka the part of Tokyo where Tokyo Tower is located) got some free cherry blossom walking tours at the beginning of next month of anybody's interested:
http://www.minato-kanko.com/volunteer-tour-guide
UnluckyKate
(03-20-2017, 07:44 PM)
Japan Gaf, I'm most likely tagging along my dad and coming to Japan from april 12 to 23rd.

Quick question : about how long will it take and how hard will it be to do Narita to Atsuki (kanagawa prefecture, west of Yokohama) couple of hours of trains ? Is there a good website to plan train and transportation in Tokyo ?

I'll be alone during the day. Hitting Tokyo most likely, so anyone want to tag along if not busy ?

Also, I want to take my dad to one of these ryokan with a view on the lake and Fuji for the week end. I have this one in my bookmark for years now :
http://www.kogetu.com.e.eg.hp.transer.com/

Is this high travel season ? Should I book early ?
MikeHattsu
(03-20-2017, 08:15 PM)

Originally Posted by UnluckyKate

Quick question : about how long will it take and how hard will it be to do Narita to Atsuki (kanagawa prefecture, west of Yokohama) couple of hours of trains ? Is there a good website to plan train and transportation in Tokyo ?

Also, I want to take my dad to one of these ryokan with a view on the lake and Fuji for the week end. I have this one in my bookmark for years now :
http://www.kogetu.com.e.eg.hp.transer.com/

Is this high travel season ? Should I book early ?

You mean Atsugi? 2.5-3 hours. Check Google maps and Hyperdia

If you wanted to book early you'd have booked 3 months ago. Better book something ASAP :p
UnluckyKate
(03-20-2017, 10:19 PM)

You mean Atsugi? 2.5-3 hours. Check Google maps and Hyperdia

If you wanted to book early you'd have booked 3 months ago. Better book something ASAP :p

Hon-Atsugi yes. Hyperdia says 147min.

I'll try to book a room then ASAP.

Any good site for guest tour around Tokyo in april?
MikeHattsu
(03-20-2017, 10:37 PM)

Any good site for guest tour around Tokyo in april?

Why not just go explore on your own? :P
UnluckyKate
(03-20-2017, 10:54 PM)

Why not just go explore on your own? :P

I'll have too and I'm okay with. I did mostly Tokyo alone in 2010. But as I don't speak japanese, having a guided tour with foreigner of a neiborhood, something informal, could be really nice for a change !
MikeHattsu
(03-20-2017, 11:04 PM)

I'll have too and I'm okay with. I did mostly Tokyo alone in 2010. But as I don't speak japanese, having a guided tour with foreigner of a neiborhood, something informal, could be really nice for a change !

You could try one of the 'free' tours here:
https://www.gotokyo.org/en/tourists/.../guideservice/

Or contact one of the groups here:
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/tr...earch=t#pref13

If you want something with a professional guide, then check on Japanican:
http://www.japanican.com/en/
Laevateinn
(03-20-2017, 11:06 PM)
Just go up to people and say "gohan" while making the shape of a bowl with your hands like my wife when we got separated.
MikeHattsu
(03-20-2017, 11:08 PM)

Just go up to people and say "gohan" while making the shape of a bowl with your hands like my wife when we got separated.

How did that work out? :P
UnluckyKate
(03-20-2017, 11:28 PM)

You could try one of the 'free' tours here:
https://www.gotokyo.org/en/tourists/.../guideservice/

Or contact one of the groups here:
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/tr...earch=t#pref13

If you want something with a professional guide, then check on Japanican:
http://www.japanican.com/en/

Amazing thanks. Are they good tours ? Would you recommend ? The tours seem rather interesting !

Also I'm finding all kind of hotel and ryokans around the lake near Fuji san. From 150$ to 430$ the night. Everything depends of the view and the bath... I'll let my dad decide how much he values the view from the room and / or baths.

I wonder if it's not better to take a much cheaper ryokan, and spend more on a great famous bath for the view...
Last edited by UnluckyKate; 03-20-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Laevateinn
(03-20-2017, 11:44 PM)

How did that work out? :P

It worked about as well as you'd expect.
MikeHattsu
(03-20-2017, 11:54 PM)

Amazing thanks. Are they good tours ? Would you recommend ? The tours seem rather interesting !

Dunno. I've just been going on my own :p

It worked about as well as you'd expect.

What was even the idea behind doing that?
Laevateinn
(03-21-2017, 12:32 AM)

What was even the idea behind doing that?

She went to one of those food courts under a depaato and wanted a bowl of steamed rice. She didn't realize that gohan can just be word for food in general too.
cj_iwakura
(03-21-2017, 12:48 AM)
Lol, I was struggling at a food stand in Shinagawa for like 10 minutes trying to figure out how to tell them I wanted rice with the shrimp tempura. I had no idea it was 'gohan'.
TheBryanJZX90
(03-21-2017, 01:26 AM)

Also I'm finding all kind of hotel and ryokans around the lake near Fuji san. From 150$ to 430$ the night. Everything depends of the view and the bath... I'll let my dad decide how much he values the view from the room and / or baths.

I wonder if it's not better to take a much cheaper ryokan, and spend more on a great famous bath for the view...

I've stayed at Sunnide Resort in Kawaguchiko, which has guest rooms with a private outdoor baths attached that have a view of Mt. Fuji. But I can't really say if the views were any better or worse than anywhere else because that's the only one I saw! Food was great though. Also if you go to Kawaguchiko make sure to get some hotoh noodles, like a thicker udon with lots of pumpkin, it's the best and I still remember it six years later. Also watch out for monkeys.