• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Kaladin
Banned
(03-12-2014, 03:00 PM)
Kaladin's Avatar
Well, except maybe for the occasional....



Metal Gaf is a community which has been around in it's current state since 2006. There might have been some metal heads on gaf before then, but it wasn't as organized. Whether you like the genre or not, Metal Gaf is possibly one of the best communities on Gaf for music. We have our ears to the ground. On any given page, you can find a ton of posts recommending albums we've come across. We also tend to go to shows and support the bands we love. Metal Gaf typically has a very low gif per page ratio. We focus more on discussion and recommendations than quick and witty gif responses.

Speaking of bands we love, in OT1 we had a couple of polls.

In two separate, very unscientific polls we determined our favorite band and favorite albums.

What was our favorite band?



While this result is very arguable, you will find many Opeth fans throughout our ranks. Their album Ghost Reveries was #4 in our album poll.

And what exactly did we choose as our favorite album if not Opeth?



Rust In Peace, a true metal opus if there ever was one. Holy Wars, Hangar 18, Tornado Of Souls...the entire album is killer and we highly recommend you check it out.

For the rest of our recommendations, check out this post. Hint: we love Black Sabbath.

For those about to circle pit, we salute you.

FYC
Banned
(03-12-2014, 03:17 PM)
Good job Sandman. Let's start off with some thrash!

Demolition Hammer - Mercenary Aggression
Caladrius
Member
(03-12-2014, 03:17 PM)
Caladrius's Avatar
This is heresy!

Speaking of heresy I'm going to post a song from a soft genre because I can.And because I like it, durr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B5TA5oerk8
Last edited by Caladrius; 03-12-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Clown_im_OP
Member
(03-12-2014, 03:18 PM)
Clown_im_OP's Avatar
Mmmmmh new thread smell.
Vio-Lence
Banned
(03-12-2014, 03:23 PM)
Metal-GAF should close down if shitwater park was voted the best metal band.
Kaladin
Banned
(03-12-2014, 03:30 PM)
Kaladin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vio-Lence

Metal-GAF should close down if shitwater park was voted the best metal band.

As I said, the result is arguable and it was through a very non scientific polling. We certainly have a strong Opeth fanbase here and a strong faction who are against Opeth.....I think any band that ended up on that pedestal would have the same thing happen.
Browny
Member
(03-12-2014, 03:32 PM)
Browny's Avatar
I added Rust In Piece to my phone just the other day, for guitar reasons. Never got into any of the other albums - happy for a recommendation of what to try next?
FYC
Banned
(03-12-2014, 03:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Browny

I added Rust In Piece to my phone just the other day, for guitar reasons. Never got into any of the other albums - happy for a recommendation of what to try next?

If we're talking Megadeth, Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? is a must.

Other ones worth checking out:

Killing Is My Business...

So Far, So Good...So What!
Countdown to Extinction
Youthanasia
Endgame

Avoid Risk at all costs.
Browny
Member
(03-12-2014, 03:39 PM)
Browny's Avatar

Originally Posted by Godofnerdiness

If we're talking Megadeth, Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? is a must.

Other ones worth checking out:

Killing Is My Business...

So Far, So Good...So What!
Countdown to Extinction
Youthanasia
Endgame

Avoid Risk at all costs.

I think I may have had Youthanasia at some point, many years ago... I'll give the others a try - muchos gracias!
AlphaSnake
...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
(03-12-2014, 03:39 PM)
AlphaSnake's Avatar

Originally Posted by Clown_im_OP

Mmmmmh new thread smell.

Hahah, I love Dave Grohl.
Vio-Lence
Banned
(03-12-2014, 03:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Browny

I added Rust In Piece to my phone just the other day, for guitar reasons. Never got into any of the other albums - happy for a recommendation of what to try next?

Peace Sells is probably their best album, then you could check out Countdown to Extinction for a superior hard rock/pop metal experience.

Realistically you could look at both RIP and CTE as responses to Metallica's AJFA and TBA.
MjFrancis
Member
(03-12-2014, 03:41 PM)
MjFrancis's Avatar
Even though I did not contribute I used the last thread extensively to find new bands or albums. I'll continue to do so here, thanks fellas.
Browny
Member
(03-12-2014, 03:43 PM)
Browny's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vio-Lence

Peace Sells is probably their best album, then you could check out Countdown to Extinction for a superior hard rock/pop metal experience.

Realistically you could look at both RIP and CTE as responses to Metallica's AJFA and TBA.

Deezer has just given me the choice of 33 albums - including a load of live ones. If I can get my goddamned phone to sort its photo stream out, I'll grab Peace Sells and Countdown. I know I've never listened to Peace Sells.

Edit: I just re-read your post - never thought of the albums as responses! I listened to all the Metallica albums, so could be a good exercise to do!
Kaladin
Banned
(03-12-2014, 03:45 PM)
Kaladin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Browny

Deezer has just given me the choice of 33 albums - including a load of live ones. If I can get my goddamned phone to sort its photo stream out, I'll grab Peace Sells and Countdown. I know I've never listened to Peace Sells.

Edit: I just re-read your post - never thought of the albums as responses! I listened to all the Metallica albums, so could be a good exercise to do!

Never listened to Peace Sells?

Your body is not ready.
Hydranockz
Member
(03-12-2014, 03:46 PM)
Hydranockz's Avatar
I take my coffee exactly how I take my metal; Black, without sugar!

I actually don't really like black metal. I am more of a folksy guy. Please don't kick me out of the thread.
Gr1mLock
Passing metallic gas
(03-12-2014, 03:50 PM)
Gr1mLock's Avatar
Yaaay ot2.
Kaladin
Banned
(03-12-2014, 03:51 PM)
Kaladin's Avatar
I highly recommend checking out out #3 album from the poll we did.

Sleep - Dopesmoker

If you like stoner metal, sludge and hour long epics....this is up your alley.

Originally Posted by Hydranockz

I take my coffee exactly how I take my metal; Black, without sugar!

I actually don't really like black metal. I am more of a folksy guy. Please don't kick me out of the thread.

Check out Wolves In The Throne Room, you might dig them.
mantidor
Member
(03-12-2014, 03:55 PM)
mantidor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hydranockz

I take my coffee exactly how I take my metal; Black, without sugar!

I actually don't really like black metal. I am more of a folksy guy. Please don't kick me out of the thread.

what about black folk metal i.e. Fintroll?

It's been a while since I was around the older thread, and I was experimenting with other music but I always come back for more metal, I was listening to Limbonic Art just now when the old thread popped up in my subscriptions.
HammerOfThor
Member
(03-12-2014, 04:02 PM)
HammerOfThor's Avatar
Because this thread needs some Manowar in the first page:

The Gods Made Heavy Metal
Hand of Doom
Blood of The Kings
Hail and Kill
Holy War

Or hell...just listen to their albums...
pablito
Member
(03-12-2014, 04:03 PM)
pablito's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hydranockz

I take my coffee exactly how I take my metal; Black, without sugar!

I actually don't really like black metal. I am more of a folksy guy. Please don't kick me out of the thread.

i finally got into black coffee myself. and i like black metal. i should spin some black metal while drinking black coffee.

i'm also black.
Caladrius
Member
(03-12-2014, 04:05 PM)
Caladrius's Avatar

Originally Posted by pablito

i finally got into black coffee myself. and i like black metal. i should spin some black metal while drinking black coffee.

i'm also black.

But do you drink it at night?
pablito
Member
(03-12-2014, 04:12 PM)
pablito's Avatar
i do drink coffee at night
OmegaDragon
Member
(03-12-2014, 04:15 PM)
OmegaDragon's Avatar
A new thread?



Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman

What was our favorite band?



While this result is very arguable, you will find many Opeth fans throughout our ranks. Their album Ghost Reveries was #4 in our album poll.

Arguable? Pff, the people have spoken and they were right!


Defying the thread title as a true metalhead would :P
Satanic Saint
Junior Member
(03-12-2014, 04:17 PM)
Satanic Saint's Avatar
Hey Metal GAF, can you recommend me the best Meshuggah album? I have heard a lot about them. Also I loved L'Enfant Sauvage by Gojira, which album of theirs should I check out next?
FACE
Banned
(03-12-2014, 05:03 PM)

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman

As I said, the result is arguable and it was through a very non scientific polling. We certainly have a strong Opeth fanbase here and a strong faction who are against Opeth.....I think any band that ended up on that pedestal would have the same thing happen.

I think if a good band like Judas Priest or Iron Maiden won that vote there wouldn't be anyone contesting.

Originally Posted by HammerOfThor

Because this thread needs some Manowar in the first page:

Or hell...just listen to their albums...

I see a bunch of songs that are not Blood of My Enemies.
DieNgamers
Member
(03-12-2014, 05:03 PM)
DieNgamers's Avatar
Yeheeah, first page! Hello new thread! \m/
fallout
Member
(03-12-2014, 05:08 PM)
fallout's Avatar

Originally Posted by FACE

I think if a good band like Judas Priest or Iron Maiden won that vote there wouldn't be anyone contesting.

Some of us just have shitty taste in metal.
Watevaman
Member
(03-12-2014, 05:16 PM)
Watevaman's Avatar
gotta sub to this. off to a great start already
Vio-Lence
Banned
(03-12-2014, 05:36 PM)

Originally Posted by FACE

I think if a good band like Judas Priest or Iron Maiden won that vote there wouldn't be anyone contesting.

what you expect my good friend. thread made by opeth and metallica fans.
Andrew Korenchkin
Member
(03-12-2014, 06:54 PM)
Andrew Korenchkin's Avatar
Hey, new thread!

Anyway, I can't stop listening to Iron Maiden these days. Nicko McBrain is definitely going up in the ranks as one of my favorite drummers in Metal.

Originally Posted by Satanic Saint

Hey Metal GAF, can you recommend me the best Meshuggah album? I have heard a lot about them. Also I loved L'Enfant Sauvage by Gojira, which album of theirs should I check out next?

Tough question, I love all of their work and consider it all flawless (except Contradictions Collapse), but for me the best is Chaosphere overall. Having said that, I recommend Destroy Erase Improve because it's probably their most accessible and will get you accustomed to their sound and songwriting. From there, try Nothing and Catch-33 if you are feeling adventurous.
Last edited by Andrew Korenchkin; 03-12-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Giant Robot
Member
(03-12-2014, 06:56 PM)
Giant Robot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vio-Lence

what you expect my good friend. thread made by opeth and metallica fans.

womp womp.

Was hoping for some epic definitions/categorizations of how diverse and out of control sub genres are in metal.

Anyways, to get this thread off to a very metal start:

Manowar - Hail To England
Andrew Korenchkin
Member
(03-12-2014, 07:04 PM)
Andrew Korenchkin's Avatar
Speaking of which, who posted the most in the last thread? Is there a way to check?
Clown_im_OP
Member
(03-12-2014, 07:12 PM)
Clown_im_OP's Avatar

Originally Posted by Andrew_Korenchkin

Speaking of which, who posted the most in the last thread? Is there a way to check?

Got to click on the total post count in the forum overview
Lambda Pie
Banned
(03-12-2014, 07:12 PM)
i see Manowar been mentioned... so here's MORE Manowar!! my personal favourite:



Secret of Steel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S45HZTlxP08

March for Revenge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-o7rtRWKng

Revelation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J9iTug0-GE

Gates of Valhalla
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMOyLgvR3nU
Andrew Korenchkin
Member
(03-12-2014, 07:14 PM)
Andrew Korenchkin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Clown_im_OP

Got to click on the total post count in the forum overview

Holy heck, I'm third?

I only started posting in the thread back in August.
Clown_im_OP
Member
(03-12-2014, 07:16 PM)
Clown_im_OP's Avatar

Originally Posted by Andrew_Korenchkin

Holy heck, I'm third?

I only started posting in the thread back in August.

You're just metal like that.
Bl4ckSunsh1n3
Member
(03-12-2014, 07:39 PM)
Bl4ckSunsh1n3's Avatar

Originally Posted by Secks4Food

My first post in the new thread might as well be the heaviest band in recent history.

Infant Annihilator would like a word with you.
Watevaman
Member
(03-12-2014, 07:45 PM)
Watevaman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Andrew_Korenchkin

Holy heck, I'm third?

I only started posting in the thread back in August.

it was all those questions ;)
Andrew Korenchkin
Member
(03-12-2014, 07:47 PM)
Andrew Korenchkin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Watevaman

it was all those questions ;)

But I loved those!

Originally Posted by Clown_im_OP

You're just metal like that.

Well, I eat sleep and breath Metal (well, along with other types of music, but yeah), so that's probably why I posted so much.

Anyway, for those who didn't see it in the first thread, I asked about everyone's favorite Iron Maiden songs. Go ahead and post them if you want to. I'll re-post mine.

Mine:

Running Free
Transylvania
Charlotte the Harlot
The Prisoner
The Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Where Eagles Dare
Flight of Icarus
The Trooper
Sun and Steel (Yes, that song. Sue me)
Two Minutes to Midnight
Losfer Words
Flash of the Blade (Once again, sue me)
Powerslave
Wasted Years
Heaven Can Wait
Stranger in a Strange Land
Can I Play With Madness?
The Evil That Men Do
The Prophecy
Blood Brothers

Last edited by Andrew Korenchkin; 03-12-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Giant Robot
Member
(03-12-2014, 07:55 PM)
Giant Robot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Andrew_Korenchkin


Anyway, for those who didn't see it in the first thread, I asked about everyone's favorite Iron Maiden songs. Go ahead and post them if you want to. I'll re-post mine.

Every song off the first 7 Iron Maiden albums with the exception of Can I Play With Madness.
Bl4ckSunsh1n3
Member
(03-12-2014, 08:02 PM)
Bl4ckSunsh1n3's Avatar
Favorite Maiden songs...

Wasted Years - my favorite by far...that guitar.
Wrathchild
Children of the Damned
The Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills
Hallowed Be Thy Name
The Trooper
The Wicker Man
MetalGuardian
Banned
(03-12-2014, 08:16 PM)
MetalGuardian's Avatar
LET'S DO THIS!

This shall be our new home for the next 66.6 moons, just as it was foretold

MetalGuardian
Banned
(03-12-2014, 08:50 PM)
MetalGuardian's Avatar
Alright, time to kick this thread into high gear



Click the photo to be entreated to the best song about the afterlife ever

I still maintain that Blind Guardian is the perfect band for GAF. Talented, nerdy, and badass... just like this forum!

EDIT: We got moved to community ALREADY? I thought we got a week in Off-Topic to recruit new metal warriors!
Saften
Member
(03-12-2014, 08:57 PM)
Saften's Avatar
Misery Index just released a new song from their album: Misery Index - Conjuring the Cull
And goddammit it is a beaut'.

Originally Posted by MetalGuardian


EDIT: We got moved to community ALREADY? I thought we got a week in Off-Topic to recruit new metal warriors!

No mercy for the Wicked.
Last edited by Saften; 03-12-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Hesemonni
Banned
(03-12-2014, 09:34 PM)
Hesemonni's Avatar


True cover lols at OP.
MetalGuardian
Banned
(03-12-2014, 09:37 PM)
MetalGuardian's Avatar

Originally Posted by Saften

No mercy for the Wicked.

Indeed. Such is the cross we bear.

Speaking of which, the first song of the upcoming Dio tribute album has been released!

Who better to honor a metal god than the venerable Halestorm?

Oh, right. Literally anyone else.
Kaladin
Banned
(03-12-2014, 09:46 PM)
Kaladin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hesemonni



True cover lols at OP.

Actually.....



The one in the OP is the vinyl.
HammerOfThor
Member
(03-12-2014, 09:49 PM)
HammerOfThor's Avatar

Originally Posted by MetalGuardian

Indeed. Such is the cross we bear.

Speaking of which, the first song of the upcoming Dio tribute album has been released!

Who better to honor a metal god than the venerable Halestorm?

Oh, right. Literally anyone else.

OMG wtf.

Well I still have hope for 99% of the other tracks. They are actually by good artists.
Andrew Korenchkin
Member
(03-12-2014, 09:53 PM)
Andrew Korenchkin's Avatar

Originally Posted by MetalGuardian


Speaking of which, the first song of the upcoming Dio tribute album has been released!

Who better to honor a metal god than the venerable Halestorm?

Oh, right. Literally anyone else.

I am NOT looking forward to that Dio tribute. Yeck..

Thread Tools