• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Nairume
Member
(12-06-2014, 03:27 PM)
Nairume's Avatar

Originally Posted by DominoKid

idk im half expecting All Might to get fucked up and exposed.

Or

He's defeated and gives Deku all of his might (:V) before dying, since Deku seems to be more in control of as of this chapter.
SalvaPot
Member
(12-06-2014, 07:48 PM)
SalvaPot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeus Molecules



I figure this is very relevant to the thread title.....

Heh! Seems fitting, hopefully it doesn't drop in quality like Naruto did by the second half, that reminds me I have to check out the finale for that.


Originally Posted by Rafa=FedKilla

Can't we just call it by its' proper name, My Hero Academia? It's right there on the cover and it's an easy translation.

I guess we can, I don't mind either way. I decided on Boku no Hero Academia for the OP since it is the name everyone is using for translations and discussions, it also makes for a more interesting name.

Originally Posted by freeofgreed

Good shit OP, caught up to it last week and it's quite excellent. Was a bit disappointed when bulge was cancelled but I find this to be superior so I guess it works out in the end.

Originally Posted by Deft Beck

I began reading this a few weeks ago and it's very good. Expressive art, lots of heart and a good message.


Originally Posted by Monochromaticx

Just read the first chapter. Aces! so good.
Thanks OP.


Glad you are all enjoying it!

Originally Posted by Third Strike

Anywho, I'm expecting All Might to fuck some shit up. Also, is it just me, or does anybody else get the impression that the fire and ice guy might be evil?

He seems to be the most powerful of the student characters shown so far, but I think he is supposed to be there to make the rival guy look not as strong, I think fire/ice guy is a good guy.
Galang
Member
(12-06-2014, 08:12 PM)
Galang's Avatar
I really like the art! I'll check this out for sure
SalvaPot
Member
(12-06-2014, 10:06 PM)
SalvaPot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nairume

Or

He's defeated and gives Deku all of his might (:V) before dying, since Deku seems to be more in control of as of this chapter.

Weird, doesnīt his power did not go through because of the villain? I thought that was the reason why he didn`t injured himself that time. Also All Might angry face at the end gave me goosebumps
Maximo
Member
(12-06-2014, 10:50 PM)
Maximo's Avatar
Awesome glad a Thread was made for it. Don't often read too much Manga but with Naruto gone and Bleach..well just getting even more horrible started looking for another shonen Manga to feel the weekly gap. Definitely love the American Hero influence it has going for it.
JNA
Banned
(12-06-2014, 11:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Zeus Molecules



I figure this is very relevant to the thread title.....

*sniff* so beautiful...
Omnicent
Member
(12-07-2014, 01:15 AM)
Omnicent's Avatar

Originally Posted by SalvaPot

Weird, doesnīt his power did not go through because of the villain? I thought that was the reason why he didn`t injured himself that time. Also All Might angry face at the end gave me goosebumps

The guy he punches was created/engineered to counter all might specifically (think they go over that in the next chapter). He is pretty strong.
Sou Da
Member
(12-07-2014, 01:25 AM)
Sou Da's Avatar
Eh, I kinda hate school settings.
SolVanderlyn
Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
(12-07-2014, 01:26 AM)
SolVanderlyn's Avatar
All Might's weaker form really reminds me of the art style used in Soul Eater.
SalvaPot
Member
(12-07-2014, 01:29 AM)
SalvaPot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Omnicent

The guy he punches was created/engineered to counter all might specifically (think they go over that in the next chapter). He is pretty strong.

Ah, I must have missed that, nice catch. I have an excuse to re-read some chapters now.

And that just makes me even more worried about how All Might is going to fight him

Originally Posted by SolVanderlyn

All Might's weaker form really reminds me of the art style used in Soul Eater.

Agreed, it also reminds me of Gorilaz for some weird reason.
j.rob
Member
(12-07-2014, 09:10 PM)
j.rob's Avatar
This is awesome. I love it so far.

The Heroes and Villains team up fight was so hype awwww man. This defintatly needs an anime adaptation
ImTheJudgeandJury
Member
(12-07-2014, 09:14 PM)
ImTheJudgeandJury's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vulcano's assistant

Sounds like the opposite of One Punch Man

LOL but he did work hard to get his powers.
Frog-fu
Banned
(12-07-2014, 09:19 PM)
I've been waiting to jump into this when it's got a bunch more chapters but I might as well just jump into it now, I suppose. It's got about 20 out now, right?

I'm just trying to avoid another Hungry Joker type deal.

Nanatsu no Taiza has gotten my attention lately. I decided on waiting for the anime to finish before I jump into the manga but I'm feeling that itch to catch up.
Derwind
Member
(12-07-2014, 09:24 PM)
Derwind's Avatar
Been following this since it came out(wow that sounds weird) but my hang up is really that the main character as a bland power. It maybe GOAT in his world but its just physical powress.

I really love Gravity Girl or whatever her name is, she seems like she's set up to become really broken(OPed) in terms of strength.

I'm predicting the Class President Iida to evolve his ability into something of a speedster, he's already extremely agile and athletic.

And I'm really liking the froggy looking chick, she speaks her mind and doesn't give a fuck. I like that a lot.

I do have great expectations for this manga, hopefully the main protagonist, hopefully his one for all powrers evolve more thoroughly.
Nairume
Member
(12-07-2014, 09:36 PM)
Nairume's Avatar

Originally Posted by Derwind

Been following this since it came out(wow that sounds weird) but my hang up is really that [spoiler]the main character as a bland power. It maybe GOAT in his world but its just physical powress.

Due to the first chapter's weirdly poor pacing that pushed All Might deciding to give him his powers to the second chapter for no good reason, I was convinced that Deku would become the Nick Fury of the super hero community by virtue of his crazy good command of detail and analysis of supers and his equally impressive ability to put that all to making good strategies on the fly.

I'm actually really happy that the comic didn't forget that!
Seesaw15
Member
(12-07-2014, 09:38 PM)
Seesaw15's Avatar
Like Onepunch Man meets Sky High sounds hype.
SalvaPot
Member
(12-07-2014, 09:55 PM)
SalvaPot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Frog-fu

I've been waiting to jump into this when it's got a bunch more chapters but I might as well just jump into it now, I suppose. It's got about 20 out now, right?

I'm just trying to avoid another Hungry Joker type deal.

Nanatsu no Taiza has gotten my attention lately. I decided on waiting for the anime to finish before I jump into the manga but I'm feeling that itch to catch up.

Donīt worry about this one getting the axe, its hype levels is through the roof and there are a lot of other series not doing so hot.

Originally Posted by Derwind

I really love Gravity Girl or whatever her name is, she seems like she's set up to become really broken(OPed) in terms of strength.

I really like how her power needs physical contact, that gives her a nerf if you ask me, since villains can avoid her by just not allowing her to touch them

Originally Posted by Nairume

I was convinced that Deku would become the Nick Fury of the super hero community by virtue of his crazy good command of detail and analysis of supers and his equally impressive ability to put that all to making good strategies on the fly.

I'm actually really happy that the comic didn't forget that!

It is weird to have a Jump protagonist that is also smart because of studying, isn't it? He is such a nerd and I like him for that.
X05
Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
(12-07-2014, 10:16 PM)
X05's Avatar
So, Sky High the Manga?

I'm in.
Snakeyes
Member
(12-07-2014, 10:18 PM)
Snakeyes's Avatar
How does the writing in this compare to Hunter x Hunter, or even Magi?
Last edited by Snakeyes; 12-07-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Zulithe
Member
(12-07-2014, 10:22 PM)
Zulithe's Avatar
Well i'm in. Subbed. With Hunter x Hunter stagnating and the anime finally over (*sobs*), I think this looks up my alley. I will work on reading what's out there and checking back in.
Derwind
Member
(12-07-2014, 10:25 PM)
Derwind's Avatar

Originally Posted by SalvaPot

I really like how her power needs physical contact, that gives her a nerf if you ask me, since villains can avoid her by just not allowing her to touch them

She can also make objects and allies and herself much much lighter. She destabalized an entire building with power. If anything sje can even be a combo support hero, making Deku lighter so a physical wall type character or maybe even herself can throw him like a wolverine x collosus teamup.

She was the only one to get an infinite score in the throwing challenge. She made her ball so light it escaped gravity. Thats ridiculous.

If she ever gets the ability to increase gravity to the people and objects she touches, its game over.
solomon
Member
(12-07-2014, 10:26 PM)
solomon's Avatar
I've been hearing good thinks on this manga but I'll wait until it has 100+ chapters (hopefully it makes it) and do a marathon.
MHWilliams
(12-07-2014, 10:28 PM)
MHWilliams's Avatar
Great series.

I love Deku, Ochako (Gravity Girl), Tsuyu (Frog Girl), All Might (Weak Style), and Iida. The latest chapters are also making me enjoy the supporting cast.

Feels a lot like Ao no Exorcist before that went off the goddamn rails into sporadic releases.
Feltrol
Member
(12-07-2014, 10:37 PM)
Feltrol's Avatar
Does this have some romance in it?
Nairume
Member
(12-07-2014, 10:46 PM)
Nairume's Avatar

Originally Posted by Feltrol

Does this have some romance in it?

No

As said before, the main character has a crush on class/teammate. She seems to like him back. It's not a focus of the comic.
Alric
Member
(12-07-2014, 10:47 PM)
Alric's Avatar
Cool, i'll have to read it some tomorrow. If it's even marginally as good as Hunter x Hunter i'll be happy.
Feltrol
Member
(12-07-2014, 10:48 PM)
Feltrol's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nairume

No

As said before, the main character has a crush on class/teammate. She seems to like him back. It's not a focus of the comic.

Well, that's enough for me. Might give it a try.
SalvaPot
Member
(12-07-2014, 10:52 PM)
SalvaPot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Derwind

She can also make objects and allies and herself much much lighter. She destabalized an entire building with power. If anything sje can even be a combo support hero, making Deku lighter so a physical wall type character or maybe even herself can throw him like a wolverine x collosus teamup.

She was the only one to get an infinite score in the throwing challenge. She made her ball so light it escaped gravity. Thats ridiculous.

If she ever gets the ability to increase gravity to the people and objects she touches, its game over.

Now that you mention it, yeah, she will make an amazing combo with Deku, adding acceleration to his attacks. Damn, now I'm even more excited to see them team up in a serious battle

Originally Posted by Snakeyes

How does the writing in this compare to Hunter x Hunter, or even Magi?

Hmm, Hunter x Hunter is one of my favorites, but I'll say Hero Academia does not go as deep with its writing, is a lot more lighthearted. But I'll say In recent chapters is building up to be more serious that I gave it credit for. I have yet to see magi, so I can't give you my opinion with that one x). That said, Hero Academia's writing is fun and crisp.

Originally Posted by Feltrol

Does this have some romance in it?

So far? The main character has a crush on a classmate and she feels admiration for him, and its really cute, but it seems more of a secondary thing. The series have great characters, both male and female and the ships are been made as we speak.
Last edited by SalvaPot; 12-07-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Takao
Hello friend!
Have you heard the good news about Medabots?!
(12-07-2014, 10:53 PM)
Takao's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeus Molecules



I figure this is very relevant to the thread title.....

why is ichigo in that photo
bleach so bad its anime got a mercy killing
Magicgamer101
Member
(12-07-2014, 10:55 PM)
Magicgamer101's Avatar
Haven't started it yet but i know I'll like it. Thanks op
Acosta
Member
(12-07-2014, 10:56 PM)
Acosta's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeus Molecules



I figure this is very relevant to the thread title.....

Love this.

It seems like a lockdown for anime, I may read a bit of the manga before waiting for it. Can't get enough shonen stories about underdogs.
Derwind
Member
(12-07-2014, 11:06 PM)
Derwind's Avatar

Originally Posted by SalvaPot

Now that you mention it, yeah, she will make an amazing combo with Deku, adding acceleration to his attacks. Damn, now I'm even more excited to see them team up in a serious battle

A perfect combo breaker. Gravity Girl lightens Deku and Frog Girl already show to have the strength to carry people to save with her tounge throws Deku at the enemy.

IIda then plays the one distraction whilst Minoru uses his sticky grapes to slow down the enemies movement with well placed sticky grapes.

Theres a lot of room to explore different combos with the utility these young heros have.
DominoKid
Geocities gawdamn :(
(12-07-2014, 11:12 PM)
DominoKid's Avatar
Also I'll be glad when Kacchan stops being a massive dickhead. That or just turn heel.

Either one would actually make him likeable. I actually like his design the most though.
Sibersk Esto
Member
(12-07-2014, 11:18 PM)
Sibersk Esto's Avatar
I felt it took awhile for this to come into it's own but I think it's getting stronger. Two things that bug me are:
  • The setting. School or not it's largely contemporary Japan and that feels limited to me
  • This is the wordiest manga I've read in a long time. It can take up a third of the page sometimes
L00P
Member
(12-07-2014, 11:28 PM)
L00P's Avatar
I thought this was going to be a story about an ordinary kid without any special abilities trying to become a superhero in a superhuman society. But then it turns into another one of many shounen comics where they go to high school to train and shit. What the hell was I expecting

I really dig the art stye, though. I'm getting Yusuke Murata-vibes all over it.
Seesaw15
Member
(12-07-2014, 11:38 PM)
Seesaw15's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeus Molecules

I know Bleach is incredibly popular but it feels wrong to have Ichigo in there. Its like if William Henry Harrison was on Mount Rushmore.
Puruzi
Member
(12-07-2014, 11:49 PM)
Puruzi's Avatar
Saw this thread and started it.
I'm really digging the style, if it becomes an anime I hope they can emulate it well.
SalvaPot
Member
(12-08-2014, 12:18 AM)
SalvaPot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Derwind

A perfect combo breaker. Gravity Girl lightens Deku and Frog Girl already show to have the strength to carry people to save with her tounge throws Deku at the enemy.

IIda then plays the one distraction whilst Minoru uses his sticky grapes to slow down the enemies movement with well placed sticky grapes.

Theres a lot of room to explore different combos with the utility these young heros have.

The combo I'm more excited about is glasses guy + kacchan, I feel like they can make a really goof team if kacchan get his head out of his butt.

Originally Posted by Seesaw15

I know Bleach is incredibly popular but it feels wrong to have Ichigo in there. Its like if William Henry Harrison was on Mount Rushmore.

In my opinion is more of a legacy thing, hell, I'll argue Bleach was more tolerable than naruto in their worst arcs, but I dropped both eventually, so I can't really say. Point is all three series made lots of money and are bright in the hearts of a lot of fans.

Originally Posted by Sibersk Esto

I felt it took awhile for this to come into it's own but I think it's getting stronger. Two things that bug me are:

  • The setting. School or not it's largely contemporary Japan and that feels limited to me
  • This is the wordiest manga I've read in a long time. It can take up a third of the page sometimes

They should be able to get out of school and even Japan eventually, I'm sure, if the story goes far enough. And I have to agree about the word count, that ammount of letters its usually reserved for Gintama or Hunter x Hunter. I'm really enjoying it for it, and it doesn't hurt the pacing, so I dig it.

Originally Posted by DominoKid

Also I'll be glad when Kacchan stops being a massive dickhead. That or just turn heel.

Either one would actually make him likeable. I actually like his design the most though.

He seems to get the most character development so far, aside from deku, last episode he was actually thinking up a plan and keeping calm, and if he actually starts thinking he will make for an awesome antagonist if he goes evil, even if its a little predictable
Toxi
Member
(12-08-2014, 12:22 AM)
Toxi's Avatar
This concept sounds like the manga version of Sky High. Totally gonna give it a shot.
Desi
Member
(12-08-2014, 12:25 AM)
Desi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Seesaw15

Like Onepunch Man meets Sky High sounds hype.

yep. Really the fact that so many people (80%) have quirks stops this from falling into X-men/Avatar territory.

I possiblity won't follow this seriously but it is fun at times. The lead dude mom hits me with the feels everytime she is on screen. I don't know why. Also love Sticky Grapes, he is totally awesome reminds me of Koichi from Jojo.
SalvaPot
Member
(12-08-2014, 12:48 AM)
SalvaPot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Desi

yep. Really the fact that so many people (80%) have quirks stops this from falling into X-men/Avatar territory.

I possiblity won't follow this seriously but it is fun at times. The lead dude mom hits me with the feels everytime she is on screen. I don't know why. Also love Sticky Grapes, he is totally awesome reminds me of Koichi from Jojo.

When Deku's mom got fat after the timeskip I lost it, it was so funny and unexpected, since she was the classic hot mom before that.

And Sticky Grapes is hilarious too, it reminds me of a pervy Lambo.
Nyoro SF
Member
(12-08-2014, 12:59 AM)
Nyoro SF's Avatar
Just started, really enjoyable series so far. It has some familiar trappings but I like the progression and characters.
SolVanderlyn
Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
(12-08-2014, 01:11 AM)
SolVanderlyn's Avatar


=



+

foxuzamaki
Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
(12-08-2014, 01:23 AM)
foxuzamaki's Avatar
Interesting
SalvaPot
Member
(12-08-2014, 03:02 AM)
SalvaPot's Avatar

Originally Posted by SolVanderlyn



=



+

His design is badass.

Watch Da Birdie
I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
(12-08-2014, 03:07 AM)
Watch Da Birdie's Avatar
So, are there multiple groups translating this? The one I found was really awkward and stilted, also called Quirks "Individualities" which really confused me at first as to what it was talking about.

Without spoiling too much, this series is not afraid to go in unexpected directions with its characters and believes that Hard work > Born Power

Isn't that, like, every Shonen series ever lol?

Originally Posted by X05

So, Sky High the Manga?

I'm in.

Haha, came in here to say just that.

Sky High is still a really fun film, imo. Watched it recently and still enjoyed it for what it was---the main character seemed like he might've had a career as an action star with that and that Jackie Chan/Jet Li film under his belt, but he's disappeared?
Last edited by Watch Da Birdie; 12-08-2014 at 03:09 AM.
SalvaPot
Member
(12-08-2014, 03:12 AM)
SalvaPot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Watch Da Birdie

So, are there multiple groups translating this? The one I found was really awkward and stilted, also called Quirks "Individualities" which really confused me at first as to what it was talking about.

The weird traslation is just for the first episode, from episode 2 and onwatd its way more consistent.
Vic
Please help me with my bad english
(12-08-2014, 03:13 AM)
Will read.
Qvoth
Member
(12-08-2014, 03:16 AM)
Qvoth's Avatar
oh there's a new pretender to the throne?
been out of the manga scene for quite a while, will check this out
i knew the art style looks familiar from OP, turns out it's by that circus and bulge mangaka
both circus and bulge was very meh, let's see how this one will turn up
Zukuu
Banned
(12-08-2014, 03:31 AM)
Sounds nice, although I can't identify with the protagonist. Why do they always need to be so small, feminine, without the least bit of muscles? I want a School Rumble kind of protagonist. Anyway, I hope it'll be turned into an anime so I can watch it.

Thread Tools