• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Chris R

Can someone please tell me how are we to make changes for specific games without screwing up the settings for other games? DO you all run separate copies / folders of the emulator?? I cant find a way to save specific settings per game!

Apparently you can do this with the ini, but it would be nice if this feature was eventually built into Dolphin, seeing as games usually need a bit of tweaking to run their best :(

I just dial in a single game and play that for awhile instead.

Lettuce

What are the ideal settings for F-Zero GX on 3.0-766 build? No matter what screen res i select i get choppy frame and stuttering sound!

xJavonta

Banned
Yes both ports, and I've tried NTFS and FAT32.
Hmm.

What kind of drive is it? If I remember correctly some Seagate drives have some smart drive technology or something that will conflict with certain applications. Or maybe it's Western Digital.

They didn't state how it would work. I assume am app that you will have to download on both systems or a Nintendo network system update for Wii that is already on the U.
Ahh okay, yeah I'm not sure how it works but I assume it'll be similar to that. At first I was thinking a file transfer using an SD card, but that could lead to piracy.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Anyone kind enough to give me the command line to auto run the iso? Id like to set this up so it loads and runs the emulator and iso all at once?

xJavonta

Banned
Anyone kind enough to give me the command line to auto run the iso? Id like to set this up so it loads and runs the emulator and iso all at once?
Open up Notepad++ or a notepad and do this

"E:DolphinDolphin.exe" /e "F:DolphinGamesGAMENAME.iso" /b

Then save as .bat. Then use a .bat to .exe converter.

catabarez

Open up Notepad++ or a notepad and do this

"E:DolphinDolphin.exe" /e "F:DolphinGamesGAMENAME.iso" /b

Then save as .bat. Then use a .bat to .exe converter.

Or you could make a shortcut and type that stuff in where it says Target. Nice and fast and what I do with Steam.

I hope someone can help me with this.

I would only be interested in using Dolphin for Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, and Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube). Would I actually need any of the following?:

Wiimote (Recommended): many games require motions that cannot be mapped to the keyboard.
Motion+ (Recommended): a real motion+ attachment is required for motion+ games.
Bluetooth Adaptor (Required for Wiimote): view this list to find one compatible with the Wiimote so that it can sync to your PC.
Wireless Sensor Bar (Recommended for Wiimote): so you don't have to use the one attached to your Wii.

I don't want to use any of those things for any reason, even initial setup. So, I would not use Dolphin at all if I had to use any of those things at any time.

Pro

I hope someone can help me with this.

I would only be interested in using Dolphin for Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, and Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube). Would I actually need any of the following?:

I don't want to use any of those things for any reason, even initial setup. So, I would not use Dolphin at all if I had to use any of those things at any time.

No you would not need any of the items listed to play Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, and Tales of Symphonia. All can be played using a Gamepad (USB XBOX 360 controller is best) or keyboard.

Roo

Can someone be kind enough to make some Helena screenshots from Pandora's Tower?
I already have the one posted pages ago but I'd love to see more from this character :p

true Gek

I tested Metroid Prime 2 and it runs arount 20 frames but it has no sound and, well, 20 frames are not so much for this game :S

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I'm thinking of getting a new laptop, and if I do I'd probably be purchasing an in-store model rather than going through the hassle of custom builds since I've never custom built one before. What processor should I get? What graphics card should it have? And do they all have mini-HDMI ports these days?

xJavonta

Banned
I'm thinking of getting a new laptop, and if I do I'd probably be purchasing an in-store model rather than going through the hassle of custom builds since I've never custom built one before. What processor should I get? What graphics card should it have? And do they all have mini-HDMI ports these days?
Processor: any Intel quad really. An i7 would be fantastic.

GPU: I'm not well versed in the laptop GPU department, but I think anything that's not integrated will work fine.

Question 3: Not really, most have standard HDMI.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Processor: any Intel quad really. An i7 would be fantastic.

GPU: I'm not well versed in the laptop GPU department, but I think anything that's not integrated will work fine.

Question 3: Not really, most have standard HDMI.

Thanks! :D Happen to know if AMD or nVidia would be better?

Jarmel

Banned
I have a question regarding IR against AA.

So I can't do 4xIR and 4xAA. I'm currently doing 3xIR and 3xAA. Would it be worth it to do 4xIR and no AA or keep my setting as is. I'm using a 670 with a 1600p if that matters.

xJavonta

Banned
I have a question regarding IR against AA.

So I can't do 4xIR and 4xAA. I'm currently doing 3xIR and 3xAA. Would it be worth it to do 4xIR and no AA or keep my setting as is. I'm using a 670 with a 1600p if that matters.

I would chose the higher IR over higher AA. Higher IR tends to give less jaggies, making AA pretty much an unnecessary luxury

So I installed CleanRip and set it to Front SD instead of USB (I thought it was asking me what I was installing it from), is there a way to set it to rip games to USB from this point?

Edit: Ah, right, just load it up again :p

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Been out of the dolphin loop for a while since I checked last time...

but, is it possible to play SMG1/2 without having the music cutting off nowadays?

Corky

I don't have that problem in SMG2, don't own 1 so I wouldn't know about that

I'm guessing you dumped LLE or w/e people do to avoid music cutoff?

Also, what settings would you recommend for smg2? I'm getting some odd performances, the more I crank up the internal resolution , from 1x up to 4x native resolution, the better and less jittery my game's performance is.

xJavonta

Banned

Also, what settings would you recommend for smg2? I'm getting some odd performances, the more I crank up the internal resolution , from 1x up to 4x native resolution, the better and less jittery my game's performance is.

Nope, I left all the audio settings at default, frame limit at 60. As for my internal resolution, I have it set to Auto (Window Size) and everything is fine. A hiccup here and there every so often but other than that it's smooth

Corky

Nope, I left all the audio settings at default, frame limit at 60. As for my internal resolution, I have it set to Auto (Window Size) and everything is fine. A hiccup here and there every so often but other than that it's smooth

Really? I thought the music cut-off was one of the "staples" of smg running through dolphin.

I use 2.5x native res and 4xAA and the game runs smooth and looks amazing.

I'm using the DSP LLE recompiler and the sound is perfect all the way through.

Also, I have dolphin and my games on an SSD which seems to have eliminated the odd hickups I used to have on my old machine.

Specs:

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
i7 3930k @ 4.9ghz (watercooled)
2x 680gtx SLI oc'd
16gb G. Skill 2133 CL9

Here's some pics I just recently took:

ivIB8Seyf9JUD.png

ibxyQrFXLJCVYE.png

iUQCW6kK3jvio.png

iTdFAxeLMycMI.png

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
F-Zero GX at about full speed, so good. (2500k @ 4.5GHz)

Not quite perfect. Framerate tanks on Sand Ocean when going through the tunnel and occasionally elsewhere at random, briefly. Lightning also didn't quite maintain a full 60FPS throughout (jumped throughout the 50s, but was still playable enough), but the other three tracks from Ruby Cup did. Both of those have effects going on, but with optimal settings those end up disabled (Skip EBF Access from CPU checked).

30 FPS during the race countdown as well most of the time, but it jumps to 60 right when it starts. Sometimes that doesn't happen, don't know what's up with that.

No screenshots, was too busy racing. Tried to get a video but apparently this game doesn't like that.

Any tips on running Monster Hunter Tri at a solid 30? It's dips to 25 fps a lot even if I run it at the game's native internal resolution. 4xNative at 1080p and it still dips in the same spots.

I'm only on an i5-2320 3.00GHz that can't be overclocked, so I'm afraid I might be out of luck.

TrounceX

But a better GPU will help you raise the internal resolution and you can force AA through your GPUs control panel to limit the load on your CPU.

Someone care to elaborate on this a bit?

I added Dolphin.exe to the program settings in the Nvidia control panel, like you would for a normal PC game, but it doesn't seem to be working...must be a different way to do it.

xJavonta

Banned
Of Dolphin, I mean.
Ahh I see. I don't have the exact version since I'm not at my PC but it's about a month old at this point.
Someone care to elaborate on this a bit?

I added Dolphin.exe to the program settings in the Nvidia control panel, like you would for a normal PC game, but it doesn't seem to be working...must be a different way to do it.
I can't really be of much help there, I don't use AA in Dolphin. But there have been numerous posts in the thread of people with sucess doing it. I would assume the Sethos has done it.

Higher IR is a good substitute for AA, the higher the IR, the less jaggies. So if you don't have luck with forcing AA I'd keep that in mind

TrounceX

Ahh I see. I don't have the exact version since I'm not at my PC but it's about a month old at this point.

I can't really be of much help there, I don't use AA in Dolphin. But there have been numerous posts in the thread of people with sucess doing it. I would assume the Sethos has done it.

Higher IR is a good substitute for AA, the higher the IR, the less jaggies. So if you don't have luck with forcing AA I'd keep that in mind

Oh ok thanks, I'll dig into the thread a bit more.

And I'm already at 4x resolution, but my monitor is also 1440p. I can tell the difference right away if I enable 2xAA in dolphin, but then I get some slight slowdown. If I could put that AA onto my GPU that would be amazing.

Top Bottom