• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Chase Amazon Prime Rewards Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
You probably have to request the new card. I don't think they'd send the new one to everyone. I only got mine because my old card got lifted.

sangreal

You probably have to request the new card. I don't think they'd send the new one to everyone. I only got mine because my old card got lifted.

they are sending new ones to everyone

source: I got one -- and an email saying they are doing so. and a letter/marketing packet for that matter

You can always ask them to expedite it though. Chase is really, really good at handling requests through their messaging system

Salaadin

Will the old card still work until you activate the new one? I'd rather keep the old until my Switch pre-order gets here in a month.

It hurts your credit score to cancel, but it doesn't sound like you have much of a score anyway. In fact, I'm not sure you'd be able to qualify for this card.

Spitefully applied for the card just to prove I can qualify
I have no credit history, no idea if I'll qualify.

I was denied the card because I have no credit history :(

Just picked up a secured credit card the other day to build my history. I guess I'll use it for like one purchase a month, credit limit's only $500 and below 30% credit utilization is best for credit scores (and I think 7% utilization seems to correlate to the best credit scores, so that's my target).

Was looking to get this card as I buy from Amazon a ton and want to build my credit a bit more. Has anyone had problems with the interest policy? I was reading older reviews and see the current terms and conditions still seem to suggest this problem still persists:

Even if you pay off the balance of your last billing cycle before the due date, you will still be charged interest for that and whatever's on your balance if one exists at that time.

Apparently the card's T&C states that interest will be charged at the end of the month if you have a balance at all, no matter if you paid off the balance for the billing cycle actually being billed. So if there's anything on your balance once the bill is due, everything is charged interest. This is completely different from the norm, isn't it?

kirblar

Was looking to get this card as I buy from Amazon a ton and want to build my credit a bit more. Has anyone had problems with the interest policy? I was reading older reviews and see the current terms and conditions still seem to suggest this problem still persists:

Even if you pay off the balance of your last billing cycle before the due date, you will still be charged interest for that and whatever's on your balance if one exists at that time.

Apparently the card's T&C states that interest will be charged at the end of the month if you have a balance at all, no matter if you paid off the balance for the billing cycle actually being billed. So if there's anything on your balance once the bill is due, everything is charged interest. This is completely different from the norm, isn't it?
I haven't had that problem at all. I've paid it off in a rolling fashion and never got charged interest. But I always paid the entire prior balance in full.

Ron Mexico

Not correct. As long as the statement balance is paid full, zero interest is charged.

I just wished this card would send me purchase notifications on iOS like my Amex does. I guess that's more of a Chase App thing, tho. Otherwise, stellar.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
They gave me a much higher limit than I was told when I was first approved.

Instant approval gave me $5k but when the card arrived the limit was almost double.

Not bad. Always glad to see higher limits.

Pyrokai

You will typically get your award points whenever your bill generates.

I don't think your points get added until the end of each billing cycle. As for the other info, I don't know what to tell you. I log in on Chase.com and I get all my info immediately there on the page, showing my balance, available credit, rewards, and transactions beneath that.

your problem is just the url you are using

Omg thanks!!! It was the URL!! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you, guys! :)

Pyrokai

Does anyone know if this gets 5% back using Amazon Prime Now???

If so, I'm about to use Prime Now a whole lot more!

Edit: Related question: Does the 5% back only apply to orders fulfilled by Amazon only???

NeOak

Does anyone know if this gets 5% back using Amazon Prime Now?

If so, I'm about to use Prime Now a whole lot more!
Yes.

Anything shipped by Amazon US, even marketplace purchases from third party sellers that are shipped by Amazon US.

I haven't tried from sellers that have their own shipping.

Pyrokai

Yes.

Anything shipped by Amazon US, even marketplace purchases from third party sellers that are shipped by Amazon US.

Oh very nice!

However, I actually wanted to clarify this with Amazon, so I sent an email to their customer service and received this response:

Currently you do not receive 5% back on purchases from Prime Now when using your Chase Amazon Prime Visa. It may be available later on in the future, so keep checking back.

Best regards,
Jessica

Is she wrong? I can see that being the case, lol.

sangreal

Yes.

they still get 5%

It's spelled out pretty clearly in the terms:

5% Back for each $1 of eligible purchases made using your
card account at Amazon.com. 5% Back is earned only on
purchases made at Amazon.com (including digital downloads,
Amazon.com Gift Cards, Amazon Fresh orders, Amazon
Prime subscriptions, and items sold by third-party merchants
through Amazon.com's marketplace). 5% Back is not earned
on purchases from merchants using Pay with Amazon, or
purchases made at international Amazon retail sites (including
but not limited to Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de,
Amazon.fr, or Amazon.co.jp), or any other website operated
by Amazon, in Amazon's sole discretion. This equates to
$0.05 in % Back rewards, which is equal to 5 points, for
each $1 spent.

basically anything on amazon.com except maybe prime now (I would be surprised regardless of what they say). Not things like kickstarter that accept money through amazon

Wait a minute, the increase from 3% back to 5% back on the credit card from getting Prime would pay for itself in a few months. I'll make more money by getting Prime. I should have been doing this months ago. I'm a moron.

Cels

Wait a minute, the increase from 3% back to 5% back on the credit card from getting Prime would pay for itself in a few months. I'll make more money by getting Prime. I should have been doing this months ago. I'm a moron.

well, the 2% in extra cash back is generating just the $100 cost of prime until you hit over $5000 spent, which i'm sure amazon would consider as a win

Mortemis

Banned
So I guess the nice new cards only go out to a select few? Been over a month since I upgraded and got that letter saying a new card is coming, and nothing. :(

well, the 2% in extra cash back is generating just the $100 cost of prime until you hit over $5000 spent, which i'm sure amazon would consider as a win

Oh wait, I'm probably misunderstanding how the whole system works. Better I figure out what is going on before I get Prime.

Whoops, I was thinking the cash back on any purchase was increased by 2%, but of course it's only on Amazon purchases. The regular 1% on any purchase outside of Amazon hasn't changed. I don't know what I was thinking.

So I got a welcome package in the mail with no card, lol. It said I will be getting the card in 2017. Why even send this thing with no card, they must love to waste money or something.

So I got a welcome package in the mail with no card, lol. It said I will be getting the card in 2017. Why even send this thing with no card, they must love to waste money or something.
I got the welcome package at the same time that I got a separate envelope with my card in it. I'm sure you'll get your card soon.

So I guess the nice new cards only go out to a select few? Been over a month since I upgraded and got that letter saying a new card is coming, and nothing. :(

Same. Does your prime expire soon? This is what I'm thinking is the reason I haven't got mine yet.

Same here, such a waste. The email already told me everything.

I got the welcome package at the same time that I got a separate envelope with my card in it. I'm sure you'll get your card soon.
Just go on Chase's website and request a new card. I just did last week and got it today. It won't deactivate your current card either. It's nice and heavy. :)

Azole

Neo Member
Just applied and got approved... Had a credit card for 7 months but it's a basic one with no reward. I'm excited for this card since the majority of my purchases are from Amazon.

So I have automatic payments set up to pay it off in full. Due date for February payment was the 28th and I just checked and don't see that any payment was made. Is it delayed or slow or did it jack up and not take a payment and cause me a late fee? Little stressful.

Got my card... and it's just boring plastic. So being a "guest" of a Prime member isn't enough, even though I have Prime shipping for days.

So I have automatic payments set up to pay it off in full. Due date for February payment was the 28th and I just checked and don't see that any payment was made. Is it delayed or slow or did it jack up and not take a payment and cause me a late fee? Little stressful.
Payments should be reflected immediately. If it didn't pay it off, get someone on the phone. They'll walk you through what happened and likely waive any late fees that may arise (they are typically waived the first time). Nothing gets reported to credit bureaus unless you're over a month past due.

The same thing happened to me. I just went to the site and made a payment, but I was a little worried about it. I shrugged it off as it not having time to fully set up auto pay or something.

Syrus

Banned
How does this card work??

Does the 5% turn int points?

Do you have to spend enough money where 5% is worth 2 dollars cash back on the bill??

Do you have to spend enough money where 5% is worth 2 dollars cash back on the bill??

It's only cash back via statement credit. Can't turn it into ultimate rewards.

Edit whoops forgot you can use it towards Amazon purchases like a gift card essentially.

McBryBry

Currently using a Discover It card that I pay off every month. 1% cash back, 5% on rotating categories, no annual fee... This Chase card seems like a much better deal. Make the switch?

acevans2

Edit whoops forgot you can use it towards Amazon purchases like a gift card essentially.

Yep. I use mine on Amazon.com The 'gift card' balance becomes available after the new statement each month.

sangreal

you can get cash back deposited in your account, you don't have to take it as a statement credit.

rewards value is the same whether you get cash back, statement credit or amazon gift card

it turns into points but you don't have to accumulate x points before cashing in anymore

Got my card... and it's just boring plastic. So being a "guest" of a Prime member isn't enough, even though I have Prime shipping for days.

Payments should be reflected immediately. If it didn't pay it off, get someone on the phone. They'll walk you through what happened and likely waive any late fees that may arise (they are typically waived the first time). Nothing gets reported to credit bureaus unless you're over a month past due.
I will say even when I make manual payments it takes about a day later to fully post. I don't bank with chase. So I'll see if it posts at some point today. Otherwise I'll call later.

Syrus

Banned
How does the cash back work? Do you have to buy enough things to get 20$ back or is every purchase put into amazon points

snacknuts

we all knew her
How does the cash back work? Do you have to buy enough things to get 20$ back or is every purchase put into amazon points

Everything is Amazon points. They are moved to your Amazon account every month regardless of how much you spend.

Syrus

Banned
Everything is Amazon points. They are moved to your Amazon account every month regardless of how much you spend.

Nice. Can you buy gift cards like psn or xbox money with it?

My credit cards are all 1.5%. So would this be worth it for me?

I probably spend only 1500~ a year at amazon on average.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Don't use Amazon points to get a discount on an Amazon purchase.
That's just wasting points you could be earning.

Use them as a statement credit.

Syrus

Banned
Went ahead and got it. 70$ and 5% backm

Ill use this on amazon and gas station only. Other cards are 1.5. But heck yeah 5%.

If i make my wife an authorzed user will it use my card and 5%?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom