• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Sony ever said why the PS4 doesn't play CDs?

shandy706

Why are there always answers like these when someone asks/criticizes something about Sony missing simple stuff?

Games' OST for Sony's own games are released in CD (because the quality is way better than what they sell you in the PS Store) and you can't even play them on their console.

Also I don't get this comment.

Good point. Also, who keeps a CD player around anymore. The console may be people's only option to listen to those OSTs.

I can’t speak for Sony, but I am sure you’re literally the only person to have ever put an audio CD into a PS4.

I've tried it too during my last visit to Japan, and was pretty disappointed to find out it didn't play CDs. All of the hard rock, heavy metal, jazz, fusion, etc., artists I care about still release their albums in CD (and often LP) format over there. And they're sold at those large record stores that IIRC no longer exist in North America.

Anyway, I know you're being facetious, but the OP is definitely not the only one to have tried it. :p

PaulBizkit

Why are there always answers like these when someone asks/criticizes something about Sony missing simple stuff?

Games' OST for Sony's own games are released in CD (because the quality is way better than what they sell you in the PS Store) and you can't even play them on their console.

Soundtracks in CDs are the most useless thing ever. Personally, I haven't touched a CD in years.

Josephl64

I used to use the old PS3 as a DVD/BD and C player quite often, shame it doesn't seem like we'll ever see CD support on this.

I guess I could rip them though.

cakely

If you asked me why any product, from any company, can't play CDs in 2017, I'd give you the same answer: Because audio CDs are a dead format. Put them on the pile with cassette tapes, 8-tracks, laser discs, and yes, VHS tapes.

Yes, they'll continue to manufacture them for years. I understand that.

So when people came asking for PS1 support they would have an easy out.
I think this is really the reason

It’s less that they don’t care about the format and more that they want to eventually re-sell old games that up until now you’ve been able to throw in and play

Vlade

If you asked me why any product, from any company, can't play CDs in 2017, I'd give you the same answer: Because audio CDs are a dead format. Put them on the pile with cassette tapes, 8-tracks, laser discs, and yes, VHS tapes.

Isn't that the definition of not dead?

It's not quite a dead format yet, but it's getting there, and it's puzzling that people are honestly wondering in 2017 why a mass market product whose primary purpose is not playing music doesn't support audio CDs. Like, okay, maybe you still use your video game console as a music CD player, but do you think your personal preferences represent anything resembling a remotely significant portion of consumers?

Rell

I still have an audio receiver with all my stuff set up that's completely separate from tv's audio system.

It means I have two sets of speakers but it's absolutely worth it to be able to listen to radio, cd, vinyl, or even tapes (which are super hip right now in the amateur music community) while playing console games.

I never really have been satisfied with custom soundtrack options on consoles, so I just use the "mute soundtrack" feature in most games and use my sound system to listen to what I want.

Doesn't even need anything nice, I think I might have like $150 total invested in everything.

Long story short I have a lot of physical media stop making me feel old.

Aiustis

Interesting.

I mostly use the XB1 as a media player and still have some CDS that I like to play mostly from independent local artists even though I don't like music.

J-Skee

It's not an elegant solution, OP, but rip the CD onto your PS3, copy the music onto a USB stick & put the USB stick into the PS4. Now you can play your music on your PS4.

With this logic physical games are a dead format.

Oh wait they are but nobody wants to admit that yet.

Conjo

Banned
So when people came asking for PS1 support they would have an easy out.

It's not like they really need it (see: PS2 support on PS4)

If you asked me why any product, from any company, can't play CDs in 2017, I'd give you the same answer: Because audio CDs are a dead format. Put them on the pile with cassette tapes, 8-tracks, laser discs, and yes, VHS tapes..

When you have a device, released in 2013, that read discs but not CDs, it's questionable. Just like TVs still include composite video in (because they still have component video in, and they either come with an adapter, or the same ports that work for component video in also work for composite video in), the PS4 could have come with (audio) CD support

Wow. I forgot that on Dec 31 1999 all my hundreds of c.d.s (many distributed by Sony) magically disappeared into the ether. I don't buy c.d.s anymore either, but to pretend like nobody owns any c.d.s is pretty ignorant.

People can own or play their CD collections until the end of time, but that doesn't mean they should have the expectation that modern devices are going to support it. It's unreasonable.

Fredrik

I still buy CDs. But I just rip them to ALAC and put them on a NAS and plays them through a Squeezebox Pi. I would never use the PS4 for stuff like that even if I could.

nubbe

Wait does it actually, I feel like that seems silly

not silly, laws of physics
1gY8IOg.png

PaulBizkit

With this logic physical games are a dead format.

Oh wait they are but nobody wants to admit that yet.

Having handheld and past-generation games in PHYSICAL format makes no sense anymore because they are relatively small in size. But games on PS4 are heavy as hell, it's great to have them on disks.

Besides, you are talking to the wrong market. We love games and we love physical editions for: 1. the tradition/romanticism of having the actual box, and 2. Practicality (easier to carry, lend etc)

I don't love music nearly as much, so I don't care for CDs, vynils, music players, cover art or, in some cases, even bit-rate
(always aiming at 192kb; not less, only villains do that)

Probably due to low demand. It's stupid, but I'd rather have backwards compatibility if I could TBH

Nah, that's never coming back. Sony and Microsoft want to sell you the old games again (and remaster them). No profit otherwise!

Andrefpvs

When my PS4 collector's editions come with audio CDs and my PS4 can't even play them, I get slightly angry at Sony*

because believe it or not I ran out of devices that can play CDs. My PS3 can't read them anymore and my PC has no disc drive :(

Kthulhu

When my PS4 collector's editions come with audio CDs and my PS4 can't even play them, I get slightly angry at Sony*

because believe it or not I ran out of devices that can play CDs, my PS3 can't read them anymore and my PC has no disc drive :(

They still make CD players.

spad3

Also I don't get this comment.

PS1 games were coded onto CD's, that's why any PS3 could play a PS1 game regardless whether or not it was backwards compatible or not. Having CD compatibility with the PS4 would allow PS1 games to work on the PS4.

Because Spotify exist

With that being said in a perfect world PS1,PS2,and PS3 disc would work on a PS4

Also, the original model PS4 should have had 5Ghz internet.

Gotta tilt my hat off to Xbox for their backward compatibility efforts, while not perfect it's better than nothing (Which is exactly what Sony is doing...)

androvsky

If you save 50¢ on each optical drive that adds up over time. Also, less complexity and one less point of failure.

Launch PS4s at least had all three lasers, despite the fact the CD frequency one isn't needed for pressed discs.

Frequency matters to make sure the point can be focused small enough to read individual pits, but shorter wavelength lasers can easily read the larger pits. The focusing elements required to read a dual-layered DVD should be able to handle the different layer thickness in a CD.

pswii60

I don't have CD Player but I have CDs. I rip them to FLAC though. I hate the shitty audio quality of Spotify and iTunes downloads. It might be fine for your latest shitty overly mastered pop tunes from Carly Rae Jepson, but for those of us l33t enough to appreciate quality music, we need a quality lossless audio format to hear it in perfect form.

CD was delivering this long, long ago.

Spwn

I was actually pretty bummed as I wasn't aware of this when I got a PS4 and then had to keep a PS3 hooked up to listen to CDs. I'm currently thinking of buying a dedicated cd-player to listen the ~400 albums in my collection.

And the reason I have 400 albums without a cd-player: I didn't want to take the CD player I had in my childhood home with me when I moved to the other end of the country. Even the CDs followed me a couple of years after I had moved.

Conjo

Banned
PS1 games were coded onto CD's, that's why any PS3 could play a PS1 game regardless whether or not it was backwards compatible or not. Having CD compatibility with the PS4 would allow PS1 games to work on the PS4.

That doesn't precisely work like that.You'd still need either the hardware (CPU,SPU,etc) of a PS1 or an emulator to play the software (or a mix of both).

Pennywise

because believe it or not I ran out of devices that can play CDs. My PS3 can't read them anymore and my PC has no disc drive :(

Than get a disc drive and either play them on PC or change those CDs into digital files and enjoy them via usb stick/hdd or whatever on your PS4.

Those disc drives are freaking cheap.

Boss X

Banned
Focus being strictly a game machine? Even blu-ray isn't really advertised as much with the PS4 as it was with the PS3.

cakely

You know, I didn't really mean to be first post and I don't want to bag on anyone's CD collection. I had no idea why the PS4 has an optical drive and can't play CDs, but I learned it in this thread.
LASERS

Freddo

CDs are still the primary way I buy music. Got 2 last month for example, but all I do is just put them into the computer, rip them into FLAC (and M4A for the phone), and then never touch them again. But they are still nice to have.

Anyway,

The PS4 can't run the newest optical media (4K blu-ray).
The PS4 can't run the oldest optical media (CD).

Instead it's stuck in the middle. It's just not a good media machine.

bufkus

I haven't even used a music CD in over 10 years. CDs are basically like VHS tapes at this point (unless you live in a developing country).

Top Bottom