• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does the story in Fallout new vegas get better?

Redd

I dont get the F4 hate, yes I can understand it might not be in ppls top 10 this gen,but it definitely aint a bad game, while the story may not have the best finishes, the jouney was one hell of a blast. It had crazy twists and many cool locations, plus the side storys like discovering a farthers attempt to make a nuke bunker for his family or discovering the robbers in the sewers and lots of others was utterly fascinating, and combine that with some grrat graphics that while not being on uncharted 4s level were very impressive for such a massive open world game.

Honestly the decisions you make. The dialogue checks, side quests, followers and even the dlc are all better in New Vegas. And a lot of the time there's a peaceful resolution should you want to play peacekeeper.

Fallout 4 has better combat but dumbed down all the rpg elements it just boils down to go here kill everything. Go here bring something back. Much of the dialogue you can pretty much pick anything and get to the same result. Lets Minecraft too because why not. Yes it looks better. It would be weird if it didn't.

Sorry you had to take so much flak OP, but you asked for it when you criticized F:NV and praised F3 and F4. This is sacrilege round these parts, so don't be surprised if some people with some rather dogmatic opinions about Fallout assume you're trolling.

That said, you really should keep an open mind about F:NV. If you enjoyed the stories of F3 and F4, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to get into F:NV's. It starts slow but things really start to get interesting as you start taking sides. You'll find the factions and their interactions are much more interesting and complex than in F4. The RPG mechanics are also much richer. It has the most replay value of any of the 3D Fallout games. Stick with it.

And ignore the haters in this thread. There's nothing wrong with enjoying F4; it's one of my favorite games of this gen too. I think F4 is a lot like Dark Souls 2: a great game, just not a great Fallout game. As much hate as it gets (by a vocal minority to be sure), the story of F4 is still better than F3... at least there are more factions and endings (the ending of F3 was pretty binary by comparison). F4 also has some of the most fun combat and exploration in the series. Honestly, a new Fallout with F4's combat and F:NV's RPG mechanics would be my dream game.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
People like OP are why Obsidian will never make another Fallout game ;_:

Why you say that? I may now play new vegas and love it.

OP: not to sound condescending but please watch this
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t0U-3VLz85k

Thanks, great watch.
It appears to me now that new vegas is the type of game where you need to stray off the beaten path and the high point of the game is the world, the many separate stories and side quests and how they all tie together which results in a deep and forfilling experience.

Sorry you had to take so much flak OP, but you asked for it when you criticized F:NV and praised F3 and F4. This is sacrilege round these parts, so don't be surprised if some people with some rather dogmatic opinions about Fallout assume you're trolling.

That said, you really should keep an open mind about F:NV. If you enjoyed the stories of F3 and F4, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to get into F:NV's. It starts slow but things really start to get interesting as you start taking sides. You'll find the factions and their interactions are much more interesting and complex than in F4. The RPG mechanics are also much richer. It has the most replay value of any of the 3D Fallout games. Stick with it.

And ignore the haters in this thread. There's nothing wrong with enjoying F4; it's one of my favorite games of this gen too. I think F4 is a lot like Dark Souls 2: a great game, just not a great Fallout game. As much hate as it gets (by a vocal minority to be sure), the story of F4 is still better than F3... at least there are more factions and endings (the ending of F3 was pretty binary by comparison). F4 also has some of the most fun combat and exploration in the series. Honestly, a new Fallout with F4's combat and F:NV's RPG mechanics would be my dream game.

I critiszied my first 5hrs of f:nv, but like with most games there are boring sections and when playing on the ancient looking game byro engine its not the best of motivators to keep on playing.

To sum things up im going to give f:nv another chance and will report back.

BANGS

Banned
I really didn't like New Vegas compared to 3. The characters just felt so forced and poorly written, and completely devoid of actual character. But I realize that's an unpopular opinion...

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Dam this game is tough, im level 10 and still weak as shit and having to scavage like a little rat for guns and ammo.

Dub117

NV > 3 > 4, opinions and stuff.

I wish I could play NV for the first time again honestly, I expected that experience from 4 and was disappointed, but feel like people that liked 3 > NV would rate it over NV.

Rellik

Dam this game is tough, im level 10 and still weak as shit and having to scavage like a little rat for guns and ammo.

My first experience on the game was thinking I was clever by going over the mountains instead of following the path and getting wrecked by Cazadors. I had nothing and had to start again.

Fuz

Banned
TEu9E7u.png

Perfect.

Alastor3

new vegas doesn't throw the main narrative in your face like most modern RPGs. there's just a handful of "holy fuck" moments that tie everything together rather than a contingency of plot points carrying you from point A to B

This! It's the same think with what they did with KOTOR 2.
the story and characters isn't always black and white and the is no BIG PLOT TWIST like Koror1 had,no. It's little, step by step, hints you get while playing it that keep accumulated that make the story so much better, and in fact, the writing so much better, because it's not a hand holding plot, they understand gamers aren't children and can figure out the plot with hints rather than saying it out loud at the end of the game, like :Shazam! You didn't think about that, huh!

I think Fallout NV just isn't my cup of tea. I took the time to install all of the DLC and mods that everyone recommends but never put more than like 5 hrs into it. The story and characters never grabbed me. Combat is on par with Fallout 3 and worse than 4. The RPG elements everyone loves so much just feel outdated to me.

Top Bottom