• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Award GOTY Nominees

Blam

DOmgTrpX0AA1ZGB.jpg:large

So what do you guys think of the top 5? What do you think will take the prize home?

http://thegameawards.com/awards/

Peroroncino

Well, since Yakuza 0, Nier and Nioh aren't on that list, I guess I'm gonna vote for Persona, whilst being fully conscious about the fact that either Zelda or Mario takes the award.

Also lmao at PUBG, great fun no question about it, but it's too unpolished and unfinished to even consider it as a GOTY, in my opinion of course.

kunonabi

Out of the five i'd hope for Persona. Nintendo's approach to open worlds hasn't really clicked with me outside of X and I just dont get the hype for battlegrounds. Horizon as goty would be a joke.

In my very humble, modest, personal and ignorant opinion, only Persona 5 and Horizon are worth of the title. And I'm a huge "old school" Nintendo Fan, not kidding.

It'd have to be BotW. Nothing else this year came close - BotW was just an unbelievably captivating adventure for me.

I'm surprised Persona 5 made the list over NieR Automata, Nioh or (maybe) Resident Evil 7. It is a fan favourite, so I guess that's why it made the cut, but is it really a game you'd want to replay?

Not Drake

My top 3 this year is BotW, Horizon and Odyssey so I'm more or less close with the "mainstream" consensus on this one. I haven't played PUBG nor Persona 5.

Calibos

Agree with everything except Persona 5 as I didn't play it....

Only complaint is...Where is Cuphead????

Taker666

I think Horizon or PUBG will win if it's just one round of voting.

If it was a knockout contest then Mario or Zelda....but they'll split the vote with both nominated so something else will squeeze ahead (they might even end up 3 and 4th).

A shame (award wise) that they both released in the same year, as I have little doubt they'd both win if seperated.

Fbh

Good list.

Congrats Nintendo. They just release a console and in Year 1 they already have 2 Goty contenders and I'd be fine with either of them getting the awards.
While Im pretty sure Zelda, Mario and even horizon will get more awards. This specific award is going to go to battle royale.

I'd personally replace Persona with Yakuza 0, Nier or Nioh.
I enjoyed my 100 hours with it but it has a lot of flaws and I'd put it below and the games mentioned above

ahmapples

Banned
PUBG... How did THAT get in there? Should have been Nioh or Nier.

Pretty much. Either those two or RE7. It’s like, you have 4 of the best rated games this year on that list and 4 of the best games of the year on the list, then you have that. It’s bizarre in an otherwise solid GOTY list.

Blam

Pretty much. Either those two or RE7. It’s like, you have 4 of the best rated games this year on that list and 4 of the best games of the year on the list, then you have that. It’s bizarre in an otherwise solid GOTY list.

It's there on sheer popularity alone.

ahmapples

Banned
Congrats, Nintendo! Gonna sweep all the awards this year. PUBG will be a close second, though.

Don’t be so sure. It’s looking like it’s going to be a battle royale between Horizon, Zelda, and Mario. Probably going to be a tiebreaker. All three of those games are big mainstream games. P5 is niche so maybe this is the kind of exposure it needs to the masses, but it’s not winning over those 3.

Or PUBG could come out of nowhere and win due to sheer popularity alone. Personally, I would have put NieR instead of it, but I’m not Geoff Keighly.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Assassins Creed Origns should be on there over PUBG and Persona. Greatest theme based open world game ever. Egypt rocks.

eFKac

Seems like a good top 5, haven't played PUBG but it has to do something very right.

Rooting for Horizon, but not expecting it to win.

Fbh

PUBG... How did THAT get in there? Should have been Nioh or Nier.

How did a game that sold 20+ million copies, basically launched a multiplayer genre and became THE most played game EVER in steam history get a GOTY nomination ?

Shifty

Nintendo's spots are well deserved.

PUBG sticks out like a sore thumb though, it's not fucking finished. It's good, yes, and popular, yes, but claiming that it delivers 'the absolute best experience across all creative and technical fields' is delusional.

Entroyp

Of those I’ve only played Horizon, I would easily give it my vote. I will get a switch later this month though.. so that might change

Entroyp

Jesus christ, people hate Horizon? Is this related to that Zelda comparison childish crap?

It’s an awesome game

Szajna

Neo Member
I think Zelda should win this quite easly,though im a PC/PS4 guy what i've seen and read through here its best game for sure.

Top Bottom