• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

eFKac

The show's been kind of shit, and one of the worst looking animations I've seen, especially the backgrounds (I swear the PS4 game looks better).
But I do like the concept and there were short bursts of quality, so I'll tune in.

Feels so good to finally see more :)
It was very hard to resist reading the manga, for all the years.
Episode was very good, and the last scene was pure hype.

But i also hope we don't have to wait another 4 years, after the 12 new episodes.

The fucking dinosaur in the OP

What the ever living fuck LMAO. Now I want this show. Who the fuck wants to fight naked people like steampunk spidermen when you can fight dinosaurs LMAAAAAAAAO

Astral

So this being 12 episodes means that either the pacing is a lot better or they're not covering much right? I hope it's the former.

The new OP isn't as good as the two previous ones. And what are the elephants and dinosaurs doing there. I did the ED.

Apart from that, good episode, not letting people breathe. A new invasion already!
someone dying already!
And beast titan presentation has been great.

So, can we keep manga spoilers well in check, please? As in, no obvious hints, *winks winks* and such without clearly tagged spoilers. I've read a bit further into the manga myself but still, I've no interest in getting spoiled of stuff way down the line and there's plenty others, too, I imagine.

I'll just copy my episode impressions from Anime OT.

Attack on Titan S2 - 01

Meh? Waiting four years for this is honestly disappointing, even if I have my expectations in check.

Every dramatic scene remains over the top unfortunately. Expected but sucks never the less when that was my biggest gripe with the anime adaptation. And really, that last bit with Miche
when he was being devoured
was so bad. :/

For a first episode where the studios usually want to impress I can't help but feel let down by the visuals, too. The mid to long-distance horse shots were horse shit. That's some pathetic horse CGI. Looks like little advancement was made on that front and the often poor backgrounds while riding.

The new OP was okay-ish. Seems to lack the punch the other two offered but I'll see if it'll grow on me. Its last few visuals certainly where wtf-worthy and I hope it doesn't spoiler some weird shit later down the line.

I'm mostly looking forward the story and world building to unfold with hopefully good action scenes and soundtrack which are the biggest reasons as to why I eventually stopped reading the manga. Depending on the pace I might know most if not all of what's to come for these 12 episodes and I want to see how it's adapted. Has been 4 years since I've read any of that, too.

Enjoyed the episode, liked how it picked off from last season. Thought the animation looked great besides the cgi horses. OP was hood but not as good as last seasons.
Great start looking forward to the next episode.

Wow, that first episode raised a lot of questions! I'm excited to see where this goes.

Hiroyuki Sawano is killing it with the OST once again.

Kettch

The ED works alright being creepy, but the OP is terrible. The season 1 openings hyped things up to an incredible level and there's almost none of that here.

Epcott

Season 1 airs 12 episodes...
Wait 4 long years...
Season 2 airs 12 episodes...

🤔 Should I be excited, relieved, angry, or disappointed? Will we see season 3 in 2021?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
12 episodes after a 4 year long break? Are they planning future seasons closer to this one or what?

They want to milk it. The source material is winding up, so there's no reason other than milk.

Wait, what? Dinosaurs? How is that even... I'm gonna be honest guys, I'm not feeling the OP or the ED songs. First episode and a mayor character is dead already and in a brutal way, also I'm getting Bloodborne vibes with the whole church thing hiding a major secret, I really hope it's not aliens but the dinosaurs really through me off too. Not a great first episode, the titan talking was spoiled by the trailer so I had no shock when it happened.

jstripes

Banned
Damn, I didn't know when this was coming back. What a nice surprise.

Also, thank goodness I don't have to use a region bypass on Hulu to watch it now that Crunchyroll has it.

Payment Still In Progress

The payment is taking longer than usual to process. While we continue to try processing your payment, please enjoy our free streaming videos here or see list of devices you can find Crunchyroll on.

Been 10 minutes. FeelsBadMan

Epcott

Great episode... glad I held off reading the manga. I forgot how morbid this show was. So happy Hulu had this and My Hero Academia season 2 on the same day.

Kazuhira

Aaaand,i regret reading the manga.
The last part was intense and it could've been better if i didn't know what was going to happen.

Are the dinos like a hint or something? Kinda like the ED? So like Titans are like gods or something that decided to go to Earth and punish humanity, it seems like.

Helloween

The intro was hilarious. That flying whale man. Music was great mind

Loved the action scenes, ending was top notch stuff.

So, that opening, eh? I wasn't expecting them to top the previous two, but it feels like such a tepid attempt to replicate that hype the first OP instilled. Not liking that.

The ED was a lot more memorable, partly due to the off-beat track, and primarily due to the pretty unique art style.

I've completely kept up to date with the manga since Season 1 ended so as a revisit to this part of the story, I'm both excited and a little anxious with how they'll handle this season, being only 12 episodes long. This was such a great tone setter, both in manga and here. I cannot fault anything in terms of story,
with the exception with how the finale of Season 1 retconned the aftermath of Eren V Annie and the Walled Titans, since we now learn we jumped right back into that story with no upbeat closure like Season 1 was offering, it made the whole last few minutes there, and the first few here seem wasted.

I did, however, really like the additional piece they sprinkled in here.
Eren and Mikasa having a far more tender moment than we saw for the majority of last season over her scarf.

Animation was, okay, but I'm guessing they're still holding out a lot of their budget for the upcoming battles.
Some still frames of Beast Titan did look gorgeous though, so kudos there.

Either the pacing of the show will help tighten the story better than the manga ever did (those of you who are spoiled already will have an idea what I mean about the upcoming arcs), or we're getting a lot less than I'd have imagined after 4 years.

I liked it plenty, just like I did for the manga. It's what's up over the next few weeks that I'm really waiting for though.

Geg

The OP was confusing at first, but slowing the ending parts frame by frame made it obvious. All the animals running with the Beast Titan near the end are supposed to represent predators; all the quick flashes near the end involved predator animals eating prey animals.

Great episode overall though. I was kind of eh on the OP at first, but the more I watched it the more I loved it

Attack on Titan 26

That OP doesn't match the first two but the last few seconds own because what the fuck? I hope this is some next level manga spoiler.

The OP was confusing at first, but slowing the ending parts frame by frame made it obvious. All the animals running with the Beast Titan near the end are supposed to represent predators; all the quick flashes near the end involved predator animals eating prey animals.

Great episode overall though. I was kind of eh on the OP at first, but the more I watched it the more I loved it
That's where I was going at. It's pretty obvious the titans are supposed to be predators of humans. Maybe humans are in some fucked up domestication process by the titans (they obviously have intelligence) and the walls are some form captivity to fatten them up for periodic harvesting.

I forgot this show fell under the horror genre, I was not ready. Ending of the episode was A+ and ED song is legit creepy. I hope the rest of the episodes keep up the quality.

Hearing Erwin and Levi interact took me out of the episode a bit, too much jojos.

Giolon

How come S2 took so long to release and only 12 episodes? Wasn't this property huge?

Studio took on other projects including creating their own IP which has the possibility of being more lucrative for them than making a licensed show, as well as a glut of anime production going on in Japan the last few years leading to a dearth of available creative talent according to one industry insider making a longer season very difficult to produce.

You could also posit that they might be hedging their bets after a 4 year cooling off period for the franchise. If it's successful again, they can still make more and hopefully they would sooner this time.

LordOfChaos

That whole segment to me was drab in the manga but exciting in the show, so I'm glad I' stopped reading it so that the surprises could come better in the show.

Intro number 1 is still GOAT, but this is better than the second one imo. The intro and the outro now show some interesting historical perspective on the titans. Actually could be considered spoilery if it had been well interpreted and integrated into the show instead.

Kaizer

Banned
How come S2 took so long to release and only 12 episodes? Wasn't this property huge?

Studio took on other projects including creating their own IP which has the possibility of being more lucrative for them than making a licensed show, as well as a glut of anime production going on in Japan the last few years leading to a dearth of available creative talent according to one industry insider making a longer season very difficult to produce.

You could also posit that they might be hedging their bets after a 4 year cooling off period for the franchise. If it's successful again, they can still make more and hopefully they would sooner this time.

Yeah, as manga readers know there's PLENTY of material to pull from to easily do a 24 episode season, but hopefully by doing this at only 12 episodes, we'll now get a season of 12 episodes every year without any potential worries of catching up to the source material. Taking another three year break after this would be absolutely brutal.

Strong first episode, imo. I wanted to hear the new intro but fear I was spoiled by some of the imagery they used
turtles, dinosaurs?!

Animation was pretty ropey at times. The character
(Nobonun?) who alerted the post walked at about 10fps when approaching the other soldier on the roof.

KHlover

Banned
I know the opinions on him are divided, but I'll be honest:

I missed seeing titans being slaughtered and people riding through cheap-looking plains with Sawano's OST blasting in the background. It just fits this kind of anime so damn well.

BizzyBum

Hoooly shit

When monkey Troubles started running with dinosaurs during the OP

I caaaaaaaan't

I lost it, too. That part alone made me a bit skeptical going forward... lol

Anyway, after the past two godlike OP's this one was actually pretty shit, IMO. The ending credits was a little weird and catchy.

The episode itself was sorta meh. I mean, a 4 year hiatus and that's what we get? At least it kept some of that hopeless dread at the end.

kirblar

Haven't gotten to see the first ep yet, but saw the new OP- it's not catching like the 1st/2nd ones because it's really just a remix of 1/2 instead of an attempt to do something new.

ChrisD

I still haven't seen the last four eps of Season 1 because boredom I guess. Or the binge-watch of the other episodes finally caught up to me. Now that this is finally here I guess I should finish those up, huh?

But I had to post just to say that Mikasa's information got a good chuckle. Will have to share that with my brother haha.

LordOfChaos

Why is there horrendous CG animation of them riding the horses. After 4 years, it should look better than Reboot.

It was four years to spool up enough manga content as it came out, not four years to make every frame look godly.

12 episodes may be a letdown after four years, but in retrospect, if season 1 had been split into two seasons this wait would have been much less painful. So hopefully that's what they're doing, 12 season episodes more frequently (yearly?).

I didn't have any specific complaints about the animation while watching it...You guys must not watch DB Super :p

Don't get your hopes up with more frequent AoT anime seasons. Apparently WIT and Production I.G. have their plate fairly full for this and next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom