• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Cynar

Is it me or does the Samsung Swipe keyboard word prediction suck complete balls? Coming from a Xperia and I thought that one was bad...jees, I have to swipe the word I want 4 times before I get it...and the wrong suggestions I get are so hilariously bad...like, words I'd never use in a million years. Thought it was my fingers but my girlfriend has a Samsung and she's experiencing the same thing. Anyone else?
Use gboard. It's way better. 👍

TheGrizz

Like when you hit the power button? Not getting any Vibration for me.

Yep, when hitting the power button. It doesn't happen all the time, but it feel like two tiny haptic feedbacks. It's actually really nice to have that feedback to let you know the screen is now locked, if you aren't looking at your screen.

It's weird as it doesn't always happen. So strange.

Cynar

Does anyone else's S8/S8+ give a slight vibration upon manual screen lock? I've noticed it happens off and on and it hard to pinpoint why. I like it, but it doesn't always vibrate when I lock the screen. Wondering why this is happening and how to control it.

Thanks!
That and sometimes when pressing the home button even gently. I think it's something to do with Nova launcher tbh. I set the home button to its lowest sensitivity and I still get a random vibration.

Paganmoon

Does anyone else's S8/S8+ give a slight vibration upon manual screen lock? I've noticed it happens off and on and it hard to pinpoint why. I like it, but it doesn't always vibrate when I lock the screen. Wondering why this is happening and how to control it.

Thanks!

it's not got something to do with if you have notifications you haven't dismissed? My S8 does a little mini vibration whenever I pick it up (or even move it), if I've got a notification I haven't dismissed. Could be specifically for SMS and missed calls though.

TheGrizz

it's not got something to do with if you have notifications you haven't dismissed? My S8 does a little mini vibration whenever I pick it up (or even move it), if I've got a notification I haven't dismissed. Could be specifically for SMS and missed calls though.

You might be on to something...I'll check this next time I get a text or have a missed call notificaiton, then hitting the power button to see if I get the vibration.

I emailed samsung a couple of days ago to see what is up with my 256GB SD gift/purchase. I haven't heard shit since paying them a couple of weeks ago. They emailed back finally today saying they don't have shit in stock, could be 6-8 weeks to fulfill. At least I know what's going on now.

netBuff

That and sometimes when pressing the home button even gently. I think it's something to do with Nova launcher tbh. I set the home button to its lowest sensitivity and I still get a random vibration.

I think that's a bug with the Samsung software, restarting the phone fixes it.

Jeffrey

Think I can pinpoint the slow points for the phone.

Rotating the screen has a huge delay, longer than any phone I've used.

The phone app might be the slowest phone app on a phone lol. Most keep that process constantly running and open instantly,but this takes a second to load, and for some reason kills my heavier app processes like games.

netBuff

New system version on my unlocked Galaxy S8+ Exynos

YgDBGZ5h.png

does anyone chrome tabs keep refreshing, even i didn't open any other apps when I move to other tabs it will refresh, I usually have between 10-15 tabs open.
is this because of the aggressive ram management, only thing that really annoys me.

Yea I was rocking an S4 as well

How was your battery life on your S4 before you changed to the S8? Mine got about 2 hours and 30 minutes if the screen was always on last I checked. It would be dead or near dead by the end of the day. Actually, battery preservation is why I still use my S4 at home. Don't want to murder the S8+'s battery with my heavy usage haha... That, and habit.

I totally forgot how long new phones can last.

Jeffrey

does anyone chrome tabs keep refreshing, even i didn't open any other apps when I move to other tabs it will refresh, I usually have between 10-15 tabs open.
is this because of the aggressive ram management, only thing that really annoys me.
Probably. Other companies have managed memory better with like 2gb of ram lol.

How was your battery life on your S4 before you changed to the S8? Mine got about 2 hours and 30 minutes if the screen was always on last I checked. It would be dead or near dead by the end of the day. Actually, battery preservation is why I still use my S4 at home. Don't want to murder the S8+'s battery with my heavy usage haha... That, and habit.

I have AOD and my phone doesn't need a charge until i get home from work. So that's about a 9 hour span of time where im using it all day. I use it less when i get home

I have AOD and my phone doesn't need a charge until i get home from work. So that's about a 9 hour span of time where im using it all day. I use it less when i get home

See, that's just amazing battery from where I'm coming from. The AOD looks nice. No apparent issue on my phone other than a possible 5ghz wifi connection issue, but that could be coming from the router as well since it came with only 1 antenna. Cheap thrift store routers haha. Got an Asus RT-N66R for $7. 👍

But yeah, does the S8/S8+ have any issue staying on a 5ghz connection?

See, that's just amazing battery from where I'm coming from. The AOD looks nice. No apparent issue on my phone other than a possible 5ghz wifi connection issue, but that could be coming from the router as well since it came with only 1 antenna. Cheap thrift store routers haha. Got an Asus RT-N66R for $7. 👍

But yeah, does the S8/S8+ have any issue staying on a 5ghz connection?

I dont have an issue when i connect to my 5ghz wifi at home. Which reminds me that the usb wireless adapters i have for my computers at home need an upgrade. they are so crap and can't hold a connection, yet alone cant even get 50% of maximum speed when connected. ugh

Is it me or does the Samsung Swipe keyboard word prediction suck complete balls? Coming from a Xperia and I thought that one was bad...jees, I have to swipe the word I want 4 times before I get it...and the wrong suggestions I get are so hilariously bad...like, words I'd never use in a million years. So either the word dictionary isn't remembering my most common used words or the functionality is glitchy. Thought it was my fingers but my girlfriend has a Samsung and she's experiencing the same thing. Anyone else?

I use Google's Gboard on my S8.

Is it me or does the Samsung Swipe keyboard word prediction suck complete balls? Coming from a Xperia and I thought that one was bad...jees, I have to swipe the word I want 4 times before I get it...and the wrong suggestions I get are so hilariously bad...like, words I'd never use in a million years. So either the word dictionary isn't remembering my most common used words or the functionality is glitchy. Thought it was my fingers but my girlfriend has a Samsung and she's experiencing the same thing. Anyone else?
It's absolutely ass and the one reason why I don't like Maximum Power Saving mode.

Log4Girlz

Like 1 HR 30 m

Tried out the GS8 at my local AT&T. It looks gorgeous for sure. The bezel less display is so crisp and just feels great to use. However I have a iPhone 6s+ and I really don't like the S8's software aesthetic look or function. It does however make me excited for the iPhone 8.

jm89

I think the last update really improved the fingerprint scanner. Before i had to put my finger at a certain postion/angle for it to work and it would fail like 50% of the time, now i just gently tap it and recognizes it straight away.

Jeffrey

S8+ is still going strong no matter what I try to do. No slowdowns or anything.

its generally fine, i get notable delays and slow downs when i try to push it hard doing splitscreen stuff, quick switch apps (hit recent apps button twice), and there is a long pause when rotating the screen from portrait to landscape for some reason. I really wish samsung would get their shit together. SD835 at 1080p

Seriously wtf is up with the phone app? Takes a noticeable amount of time to open, and answering a call often kills some apps in memory. Why isn't it running in the bg at all times like pretty much any other phone lol.

Charcoal

As a current OnePlus 3T owner, would I feel restricted by Samsungs OS overlay? The last galaxy I owned was an S4 and I hated it.

Jeffrey

As a current OnePlus 3T owner, would I feel restricted by Samsungs OS overlay? The last galaxy I owned was an S4 and I hated it.

it can do a ton of neat stuff that stock/ish android can't, most are for the better. The phone will definitely feel more sluggish and slow than the 3t. apps will reload way more frequently too

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So, consensus..

Decent phone?
Good phone?
Great phone?

My Moto X Pure is about to die and I am thinking of signing up for ATT's Unlimited Plus along a Galaxy S8+

Jeffrey

So, consensus..

Decent phone?
Good phone?
Great phone?

My Moto X Pure is about to die and I am thinking of signing up for ATT's Unlimited Plus along a Galaxy S8+
A bit sluggish vs the competition but besides that, about as good as a phone you can get.

Heck even the weird fingerprint sensor isn't too bad once you get used to it in a week.

sirap

So what's the consensus on the best case? Everyone seems to say the UAG Monarch but it's been sold out on Amazon for a while.

Monarch is great, but I wouldn't sleep on the Plasma/Pathfinder either.

Neo Hybrid is another one I see people rave about, but I've always been partial to the Tough Armor line. The kickstand is surprisingly useful now that I'm watching more and more content on my phone (dat amoled)

Another good case is Caseology's Legion. Good protection and it looks very sleek.

I rotate between these cases pretty often but I'm always going back to the Monarch. I really like the build quality.

Regginator

Guys, I'm coming from an S5 and I'm thinking of getting either an S7 Edge or an S8. Which one should I get?

The S7 Edge seemed slightly too big, whereas the S8 felt amazing in my hand. Perfect size. Also, the infinity display sure looks dope, great screen-to-body ratio. But, the S8 is €9 a month more expensive than the S7 Edge, so that almost €220 difference with a 2-year contract.

And I don't know if an S8 is THAT much better than an S7 Edge...

Monarch is great, but I wouldn't sleep on the Plasma/Pathfinder either.

Neo Hybrid is another one I see people rave about, but I've always been partial to the Tough Armor line. The kickstand is surprisingly useful now that I'm watching more and more content on my phone (dat amoled)

Another good case is Caseology's Legion. Good protection and it looks very sleek.

I rotate between these cases pretty often but I'm always going back to the Monarch. I really like the build quality.

I have the Neo Hybrid but I read the UAG cases have slimmer sides to bring out the edge display, so I might get one. Choices choices.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The bottom left switch app button started having 1 second lags. Rebooting the phone fixed it. Phone isn't stressed at all with resources so this is a UI thread performance bug. Hope it doesn't continue .

Jeffrey

The bottom left switch app button started having 1 second lags. Rebooting the phone fixed it. Phone isn't stressed at all with resources so this is a UI thread performance bug. Hope it doesn't continue .

Every nav button has a split second delay after a while.

Classic Samsung. $200 phones are snappier lol.

Top Bottom