• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Mozilla CTO: "Chrome won."

Occam

Will continue to use Firefox. Google is too dominant as it is, and I don't need my browser to nanny me.
Can you actually use Chrome without it phoning home all the time?

Fliesen

Well, mobile Firefox is shit, right?

So if i'm kinda forced (by not being able to change the default browser, or simply because all other options are inferior) to use the stock browser (i.e. mobile Chrome / mobile Safari), i feel that'll also sway me into sticking with the desktop equivalent, for features like password syncing, cloud tabs, cloud bookmarks, inter-device browsing history, etc.

Historically I've been switching between Firefox and Chrome over the past several years. Currently been Chrome for the past few months, primarily because --unlike Firefox--
Chrome can play YouTube videos at 60fps without it being a slideshow. (Though admittedly, it seems Chrome is the only browser available that can handle 60fps YT videos).

That said, I had to go back to Firefox recently for my recent Computer Graphics class, since Chrome blocks access to local files, which were needed to run the program correctly (Firefox doesn't have this issue).

Josemsar

Neo Member
Firefox protects privacy
Google integrates accounts

Most people have facebook account so as you can guess they do not care anything about privacy

riotous

Banned
There's a ton of different conflicting stats out there; he seems to have picked the lowest possible estimate to link too.

Not that it isn't bleak for non-chrome/safari browsers but the estimates are anywhere between 4-15% for firefox at this point from what I've seen.

UberLevi

I actually always hated Firefox. I would rather use IE than Firefox, but he's right. Most people I know (including myself) use Chrome. Chrome kinda ate everyone's lunch in the browser wars and it's not even close.

no it does not

Yes it does:

p58TT8N.jpg

zulux21

What's causing the drop in Firefox usage?

I still use firefox as my backup, but for me it was a memory leak in the browser.

when firefox shifted to faster updates they screwed a ton of stuff up. the main one that effected me was if a site ran certain things (java I think or even some ads) firefox wasn't clearing the data usage properly and after a few hours firefox would suddenly be taking up 5-6gb of ram, and if I for example left to work, my computer would be frozen when I got home if I didn't kill firefox before I left.

it forced me to change to chrome, which uses a ton more ram by base usage but didn't have a horrible memory leak.

Occam

Firefox protects privacy
Google integrates accounts

Most people have facebook account so as you can guess they do not care anything about privacy

Yeah. Chrome in combination with a gmail account sounds like farewell to the very last bit of privacy. There is nothing left. They know EVERYTHING about you.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Damn, didn't know Firefox was doing so badly. I still like it, and I'd never use Chrome ever if it weren't for Firefox's damn memory leaks.

Firefox did too many things wrong back to back to back for me to not switch to chrome years ago

Good browser, still use it for business banking at work.

Yeah, I used to use Firefox about 8 years ago but it seemed memory intensive and crashed an awful lot, so I switched to Chrome and have never looked back.

I'm surprised to see IE so low though. Has MS replaced it with something? I would have assumed a lot of people buying new PCs would just opt for IE by default.

I'll never switch, still the best browser. I had a couple of bad years after Netscape went down and I had to resort to using IE, but apart from that I've been on the good side since 95.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Opera was the s***!!!! I believe that was the first web browser that allowed multiple tabs, correct?

I'm not sure, I know this new version allows you to pop out any video player and it stays on top of all windows. I use that to put a video podcast in my screen while I'm working.

Yeah, I used to use Firefox about 8 years ago but it seemed memory intensive and crashed an awful lot, so I switched to Chrome and have never looked back.

I'm surprised to see IE so low though. Has MS replaced it with something? I would have assumed a lot of people buying new PCs would just opt for IE by default.

windows 10 has edge but i dont know if this stats are counting it as the same as ie

zou

No shit, ads for Chrome are plastered everywhere on Google Search and they constantly keep bugging the users to download Chrome.

And Firefox shouldn't have decided to abandon power users, plugins, themes and try to ape Chrome.

I still swear by Firefox on Desktop, but I had to give it up on mobile because after two years some terrible fucking bugs still exist they haven't fixed.

Zalusithix

I've largely migrated to Vivaldi from Firefox since Mozilla was taking forever to get Electrolysis finished, and now they're killing off the extension API that would give me a reason to come back (for tree tabs). Other browsers have certainly hurt them, but in the case of the desktop, a lot of their problems are self inflicted. It's hard for me to feel sorry for them at this point.

Mr_Zombie

Well, mobile Firefox is shit, right?

Uhm, no? At least not on Android.
I've been using it as my main mobile browser for months now and have no issues with it.

i feel that'll also sway me into sticking with the desktop equivalent, for features like password syncing, cloud tabs, cloud bookmarks, inter-device browsing history, etc.

Firefox has them too.

wildfire

Banned
I switched from Firefox to Palemoon (basically Firefox copycat that discards the newst changes) because performance became terrible. It doesn't even matter if Firefox addons don't work as well on Palemoon if Firefox generally plays worse than it did 5 years ago.

Chrome isn't perfect either. The Dire fox team needs to stop screwing up basic functionality.

Yeah. Chrome in combination with a gmail account sounds like farewell to the very last bit of privacy. There is nothing left. They know EVERYTHING about you.

I kind of gave up caring years ago. I use Chrome, Android and Gmail. Google probably knows more about me than my wife does!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Firefox needs to be restarted at least once a day, if you like to keep a dozen tabs open, and switch between them. Otherwise, performance degradation and resource over-use becomes incredibly obvious. That's not how software should work.

Chris1

only on ie/edge

to be fair, you have to use ie/edge to download another browser in the first place.. :p

I use Firefox. I'm used to it and never really had any reason to change, I did download Chrome but I don't really like using it for some reason. I use Chrome on my phone though

Since i jumped to Fire Fox beginning this year from Chrome, i had a couple of situations were sites worked fine in Chrome but not in FF. Really gave me flashback to I.E 6 and 8 era.

vypek

Damn, didn't know Firefox was doing so badly. I still like it, and I'd never use Chrome ever if it weren't for Firefox's damn memory leaks.

Same here. And I hate the way tabs work in Chrome. Prefer the way some add ons work in Firefox compared to Chrome as well

jett

D-Member
Chrome and Firefox are kind of interchangeable to me to be honest. It won because you can't win against the might of Google.

Used to be an Opera user ages ago. It unfortunately turned to shit. It doesn't even have bookmarks anymore. I don't know why it even exists still.

wmlk

On mobile, Safari is pretty great. Though I don't see what it offers that Chrome already doesn't. Think web rendering in general is better on Safari?

Top Bottom