• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2012 | General Information and FAQ

Clipper

Awesome thread. And for the first time there's a brazilian city row with the conference times, my life is so good now.

Thank dinosaur_hunter2 for asking about GMT in the other thread. It's due to that, and a mention of his country in his recent post history, that made me notice that Brazil does have a different enough timezone (and enough GAF gamers) to add it.

Also, can I confirm whether this time should suit most Brazilians? The impression I got from Wikipedia is that everybody remembers the offsets away from BRT rather than naming their own zones.

Duffyside

Banned
Maybe this isn't the best thread to ask, but I'm not sure where else I would go; how does everyone in GAF get their coverage and community-fun during E3? Specifically, I'm wondering if there's a way to make it so the GAF threads I'm reading automatically update, like a liveblog or a chatroom or something, so I don't have to continually refresh.

Mac-user, by the way.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe this isn't the best thread to ask, but I'm not sure where else I would go; how does everyone in GAF get their coverage and community-fun during E3? Specifically, I'm wondering if there's a way to make it so the GAF threads I'm reading automatically update, like a liveblog or a chatroom or something, so I don't have to continually refresh.

Mac-user, by the way.

What, are you trying to kill NeoGAF?

Seriously though if you just look you can probably find some sort of auto refresh plugin if you just search for "auto refresh plugin for ..." on google or bing or whatever.

But I recommend NOT doing that because at least if you refresh manually and it goes through then you have time to actually read everything before you are ready to roll the dice and refresh the page again. It'd be horrible to have the page be auto refreshed into a 500 error while you are in the middle of watching some juicy reaction gif.

Duffyside

Banned
What, are you trying to kill NeoGAF?

Seriously though if you just look you can probably find some sort of auto refresh plugin if you just search for "auto refresh plugin for ..." on google or bing or whatever.

But I recommend NOT doing that because at least if you refresh manually and it goes through then you have time to actually read everything before you are ready to roll the dice and refresh the page again. It'd be horrible to have the page be auto refreshed into a 500 error while you are in the middle of watching some juicy reaction gif.

You may have a point, and it may seem crazy, but I just love the idea of seeing my stream on one side of my screen show something rad, and then two seconds later see this huge waterfall of reactions that can't be stopped.

Every year I promise myself I'll go back and re-read the thread, but there is never anywhere near enough time for that. At least this way I could get the general sentimentality.

jimi_thing

Neo Member
Quick question about SpikeTV's coverage of stuff and that Gametrailer's show this Thursday.

I read that it and the press conferences are supposed to be 'live', but I jumped ahead in my cable guide (Comcast on the west coast) and the times are all three hours later than they should be.

Is all the E3 stuff actually going to be live or am I getting fucked with tape delay bullshit.

Glass Rebel

Mac-user, by the way.

Chrome has a NeoGAF Live Thread extension.

SRidge52

Banned
If E3 is officially on June 5th, 6th, and 7th, then why are some companies doing their E3 conferences on the 4th? What do you guys think is the best days to take off work: 4th, 5th, and 6th, or 5th, 6th, and 7th?

BTW I am in US EDT timezone(maybe that's what's screwing me up?) I'm terrible at time conversion.

PaulLFC

If E3 is officially on June 5th, 6th, and 7th, then why are some companies doing their E3 conferences on the 4th? What do you guys think is the best days to take off work: 4th, 5th, and 6th, or 5th, 6th, and 7th?

BTW I am in US EDT timezone(maybe that's what's screwing me up?) I'm terrible at time conversion.
The conference times by timezone are in the OP:

e3times2012.png

SRidge52

Banned
The conference times by timezone are in the OP:

e3times2012.png
Right, I see that. But in the very same OP it says E3 takes place

"E3 2012 is scheduled to take place June 5-7, at the Los Angeles Convention Center."

Why is that?

I'm probably just having a full retard moment, here. I have those a lot.

Basically I'm trying to say why are companies doing their conferences on the 4th when E3 officially takes place the 5th, 6th, and 7th?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Mac-user, by the way.

There is a chrome plugin you can get which updates the posts and adds them on every 30 seconds or something.

Weird, got a 500 error about 15 minutes ago.

Yup same here, guess it isn't fixed, lol.

Why is that?

Basically I'm trying to say why are companies doing their conferences on the 4th when E3 officially takes place the 5th, 6th, and 7th?

You don't want to be holding press conferences while the show floor is open.

Clipper

Quick question about SpikeTV's coverage of stuff and that Gametrailer's show this Thursday.

I read that it and the press conferences are supposed to be 'live', but I jumped ahead in my cable guide (Comcast on the west coast) and the times are all three hours later than they should be.

Is all the E3 stuff actually going to be live or am I getting fucked with tape delay bullshit.
I think that perhaps whoever programmed the guide hasn't taken into account the differences in times between the regions. Hopefully it will fix itself closer to the date as it would be pretty silly if the only people who get the conferences live are those on the East Coast.

Why is that?

To expand on Cheesemeister's response, the conferences are a lead up to E3, not part of the event itself. Holding the press conferences beforehand gives the attendees an idea of what they'll be able to see on the floor and you don't want to take away what little time they get already to try to see everything they want to see.

mclem

How far in advance of the conferences will the threads start to appear? I want a deadline for my E3 Bingo Generator!

Stuart444

Great op :D

Looking forward to the conferences, I wonder what will be the worst conference and what will be the most embarrassing (or which one will be both :p )

Still E3 should be good hopefully, will be watching the conferences on Gametrailers... wish we had a channel to air them in the UK :(

Duffyside

Banned
To expand on Cheesemeister's response, the conferences are a lead up to E3, not part of the event itself. Holding the press conferences beforehand gives the attendees an idea of what they'll be able to see on the floor and you don't want to take away what little time they get already to try to see everything they want to see.

Right. To summarize; E3 is technically when the doors of the LA Convention Center open and the press get to run around inside it, seeing and playing demos, talking to PR, etc. Those doors open on Tuesday the 5th. The conferences are before that, for the reasons the others have laid out.

So to your question about what days to take off, it would depend on how many days you want to take, and if you want them all in a row, but I would say the conferences are the biggest deal every year, so Monday for sure. Then, I dunno, how about the second day of actual E3? That would be the best mix of hearing people talk about the big things they were dead-set on seeing in the first place, but also them going to the booths that unexpectedly got a buzz.

The first day, 6/5, can be a little overwhelming as the press is just running around like chickens with their heads cut off and trying to see everything they can, and the final day, 6/7, can be a little bit of a bummer as they're all so clearly ready to go home and about an inch away from never playing or talking about a video game ever again.

And thanks for the Chrome suggestions, people. Just know that I may come back in this thread when I finally have time to go searching for these things and finding that I can't find any of them, as I am terrible at the internet. I used to be so good at it, too; able to trick people into thinking they're clicking on a link to a funny cat picture, when actually it was a man's butt. Ahh, the good ol' days.

mclem

So to your question about what days to take off, it would depend on how many days you want to take, and if you want them all in a row, but I would say the conferences are the biggest deal every year, so Monday for sure.

I think that'd depend on which conferences you expect to be the most interesting to you. Me, I'll generally go for all three and take both Monday and Tuesday in the week, although if I had to settle on just one it'd be Nintendo; a lot of potentially exciting (and, to be fair, potentially excruciating) news this year from those quarters.

Of course, thanks to Brenda's shindig, we get those days automatically in the UK, so I decided to just fill out the week instead; I didn't take my normal week off at Easter this year because I had jury service immediately after it, so I'm looking forward to an extended break.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

"E3 2012 is scheduled to take place June 5-7, at the Los Angeles Convention Center."

Why is that?

E3 in this context means the actual expo. While it technically starts on the 3rd when attendees can first start registering, the expo halls don't open until the 5th of June.

The conferences prior to the expo don't have any corporate connection to E3, The ESA or the LACC, other than being labeled "E3 Conference", as far as I know. I shall edit the text to make it clearer regarding this. Thanks for notifying me.

DodgerSan

Has anyone posted about the iOS E3 app yet? I can't link cos I'm on the iPad (irony) but just search E3 on the app store. Looks fairly interesting, and it's official.

Edit: having played with it, it's not that great. Probably more useful for attendees. When you go to the FAQ or show times, it wants to download a PDF for Peter sake.

At least its free.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone posted about the iOS E3 app yet? I can't link cos I'm on the iPad (irony) but just search E3 on the app store. Looks fairly interesting, and it's official.
I recently updated the FAQ with information regarding that. See question nine.

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley

It's live to both coasts. Can you tell me where on the west coast you are? Sometimes specific cable operators don't have the program guide set up correctly.

Derrick01

Banned
So I guess Sony is going to be the only major one who's not on spike TV? Sucks, I don't want to rely on livestreams with my internet acting up lately and with the crazy amount of people trying to tune in.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So Microsoft, EA, and Nintendo's press conferences will air on Spike, and Sony, Ubisoft will air on G4? I just want to be clear.

Could someone please do a spoiler free thread with links to the archived press conference videos like last year for those of us that can't get up at 4am to watch?

Man, these conference times suck for people living in Australia.

edit: I might just have to pull an all-nighter starting sunday night. Microsoft starts at 2:30 AM here

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Good thread, but a list with all the live streams would be great.

Does anybody know if the Nintendo stream will be watchable on iPhone or iPad? Or will it need a Flash-enabled browser to view it?

We've hired a small, private screening room to show it and I just need to figure out what stuff to take with me to manage playback.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I'll just leave this here:

GraveRobberX said:
****Time Zone = EDT****
Monday
June 4th, 2012
Spike TV:
12:00PM-12:30PM - E3 All Access Live < Starter
12:30PM-2:00PM - Xbox: Entertainment Evolved
2:00PM-4:00PM - E3 All Access Live < Review of Event above this/Interviews, etc.
4:00PM-5:00PM - Download: EA 2012 Preview
5:00PM-5:30PM - E3 All Access Live < Review of Event above this/Interviews, etc.
10:00PM-11:00PM - E3 All Access Live < Review of the whole day events, + 1-2 surprise always saved
G4TV:
3:00PM-5:30PM - E3 2012 Live - Day 1 (2012)
5:30PM-11:00PM - Ubisoft & Playstation Event (2012)
11:00PM-12::30AM - E3 2012 Live - Xbox Event < Might show their version recorded

Tuesday
June 5th, 2012
Spike TV:
12:00PM-1:00PM - Nintendo All Access Presentation @E3 2012
1:00PM-4:00PM - E3 All Access Live < Review of Event above this/Interviews, etc.
G4TV:
3:00PM-4:00PM - E3 2012 Live - EA Event < Might show their version recorded
4:00PM-9:00PM - E3 2012 Live - Day 2 (2012)

Wednesday
June 6th, 2012
G4TV:
6:00PM-9:00PM - E3 2012 Live - Day 3 (2012)

Thursday
June 7th, 2012
G4TV:
6:00PM-9:00PM - E3 2012 Live - Day 4 (2012)

mclem

Random thought, here: Are we going to see anything from Wii U in the third party conferences prior to Nintendo's, or would we get a massive blowout in Nintendo's conference? I'm trying to balance "Nintendo does first Wii U news dump" - with according control of the story - with the fact that third parties will still need to, well, promote their games.

Hanmik

Konami:

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH announces second annual ‘Pre-E3 Show 2012’

All-new trailers, developer interviews and more to debut via June 1st showcase

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH today announced the second-annual global Pre-E3 Show will take place on June 1st, at 09:00AM CEST.

The second online showcase will dazzle fans and gaming enthusiasts with advance showings of the new releases, exclusive game trailers and insightful interviews of key titles that will debut at this year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles.

“KONAMI’s annual Pre-E3 show is a chance to highlight the incredible titles that will make their debut at E3,” said Shinji Hirano, President of Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH. “We have an incredible array of titles this year, and the Pre-E3 Show will give fans an early glimpse of what we have in store.”

For additional information, please visit www.konami.com/e3 on June 1st to watch the show.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't GAF have an IRC channel anymore? Pretty sure I spent most of the time in that, last year.

There is usually a channel made just for E3, don't know whats going on this year. It's fun but man does it move fast.

Clipper

Damn, they forced me to add another colour :p.
I originally read that as CDT time, but just now fixed it to make CEST the correct time to line up. So now the second chart is complete (refresh if you don't see Konami times).

e3events2012.png

zroid

Banned
Does anybody know if the Nintendo stream will be watchable on iPhone or iPad? Or will it need a Flash-enabled browser to view it?

We've hired a small, private screening room to show it and I just need to figure out what stuff to take with me to manage playback.

I can't say definitively yet, but I do know that recently Nintendo has been using UStream for all of their live presentations.

Top Bottom