• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

I miss this place so damn much, be sure to try out dicks, best fastfood I have ever had, especially when drunk.

SrCUZ.jpg

blurrygil

Chichikov said:
Sarcasm?
Yeah, got to be sarcasm.

A bit. But there's some wicked local legends that just tear it up here in the NW. Donald Glaude and DJ Dan just to name a couple. SF is legit as well, man.

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
I miss this place so damn much, be sure to try out dicks, best fastfood I have ever had, especially when drunk.

SrCUZ.jpg

It's brilliant and cheap. Hard for me to say the BEST. But it's straight-away the best stuff in town after some heavy pubbing... ;-)

ATF487

Was on a road trip that just ended yesterday, I really liked Seattle. It felt very familiar being from Boston, too; I even got Chowdah for lunch

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
platypotamus said:
Sorry everyone-else-in-Seattle, but Dick's sucks real bad.

It's cheap fast food. What did you not like about it? More importantly, what were your expectations?

Chris R

platypotamus said:
I kinda agree. Only had it once (at the one by the Key Arena) and while it wasn't terrible, it was by no means something I had to experience more than once.

Zefah said:
It's cheap fast food. What did you not like about it? More importantly, what were your expectations?

I expected something tastier than Carls Jr, Five Guys, or In-N-Out, based on all the raving. I don't think it beats any of those three.

(to be fair: I don't really like fast food much, nor do I eat it more than once or twice a year).

Chichikov

Cosmic Bus said:
I've haven't been there before.. What's wrong with the Paramount?
It's just not really all that suited for a dance show; I think their target audience is phantoms of operas -

QSTcC.jpg

The usually take the chairs out from the lower level (or at least they used to, been a while since I've seen a music show there, but I'm certain they'll do something for the dbfestival), so there is a possibility of dancing, but you're still far away from the artists and half the crowd just sit in the balcony, which is gives a really weird (and not good) vibe.

blurrygil said:
A bit. But there's some wicked local legends that just tear it up here in the NW. Donald Glaude and DJ Dan just to name a couple. SF is legit as well, man.
We can have all the DJs in the world and we'll still never be the capital of any dance music because people don't fucking dance in this town.

Gaspode_T

I heard a story about Dave Grohl going out of his way to visit Dick's whenever they are in town.

Also rumor had it that Burgermaster was a favorite of Bill Gates waaaaay back in the day. They have some decent milkshakes, but so does Kidd Valley (recommended Kidd Valley would be in Kirkland by the waterfront...where rich kids in bikinis and semi-Jersey Shore outfits will be playing volleyball)

platypotamus said:
I expected something tastier than Carls Jr, Five Guys, or In-N-Out, based on all the raving. I don't think it beats any of those three.

(to be fair: I don't really like fast food much, nor do I eat it more than once or twice a year).
Dick's is overrated. I tried Dick's at Queen Anne, Lake City, and Wallingford. Nothing remarkable about it at all. Don't let anyone from Seattle tell you otherwise. It's just cheap eats for college students at 1am.

If you go down to Portland, Burgerville is good stuff. Their shakes and Walla Walla Onion rings are incredible.

Burger Master is fucking bad ass. As is Lunchbox Lab in SLU and Zippy's in West Seattle.

Shouta said:
Coming to my stomping grounds when I'm not there, eh!?

I'm here, he'll get his ro-bro fix.

October? Gray with potential drizzle and in the 40s or 50s.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Gaspode_T said:
I heard a story about Dave Grohl going out of his way to visit Dick's whenever they are in town.

Also rumor had it that Burgermaster was a favorite of Bill Gates waaaaay back in the day. They have some decent milkshakes, but so does Kidd Valley (recommended Kidd Valley would be in Kirkland by the waterfront...where rich kids in bikinis and semi-Jersey Shore outfits will be playing volleyball)
That's the one I always go to with my friends whenever someone suggests it. Somehow I have yet to go to Bugermaster and I've lived here for 11 years now.

Wingfan19 said:
That's the one I always go to with my friends whenever someone suggests it. Somehow I have yet to go to Bugermaster and I've lived here for 11 years now.

Burgermaster on Aurora is great. You can sit in your car and watch the hookers pass by while you eat awesome food.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
marathonfool said:
Dick's is overrated. I tried Dick's at Queen Anne, Lake City, and Wallingford. Nothing remarkable about it at all. Don't let anyone from Seattle tell you otherwise. It's just cheap eats for college students at 1am.

If you go down to Portland, Burgerville is good stuff. Their shakes and Walla Walla Onion rings are incredible.

Fatburger is better than dicks. Totally overrated. Kind of like in and out burger actually.

blurrygil

D23 said:
anyone going to FreakNight this year? the lineup is pretty damn good if ur into EDM!!

F*ck freaknight. I hate the people that run that show, personally. It used to be brilliant, word-of-mouth, online find and have a good time type of gig. I swear to gawd they give away more tix on the radio than sell em, now. Ya get nothing but idiot girls from the state colleges and jocks in there, cos it's so marketed. A lot like all the USC events 'round here. Just terrible, imo.

Keep in mind, I used to spin. So I can come off as a dick about it all. But it honestly just isn't the same anymore.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand some of you hating on Dick's. All fast food places are shit. That's the nature of the business.

The reason it's so popular is because it's open late and it's cheap as hell, and it's not bad. The majority of its customers are drunk and high students late at night.

Hilbert said:
Fatburger is better than dicks. Totally overrated. Kind of like in and out burger actually.

I know they're in the suburbs, but we don't have a Fatburger in Seattle. Went to one in Hollywood once, it was good.

LiveWire

platypotamus said:

Yea I came out here from DC and everyone was like, "Oh you must try Dick's." Ugh. Total crap, not even good late night. Then they were like "Well Dick's is OK but we like this new place called 'Five Guys.'" Then I just laugh.

dubc35

Dick's is ok IMO. It's not the end all, be all burger like its cult status makes it out to be, but I enjoy a Deluxe every 2 months or so.

Has anyone done the underground tour? I've lived here for 12 years and never done it, lol. Worth it? I've heard very mixed reviews.

Salmonax

platypotamus said:
Yeah, Dick's is only marginally acceptable if you're cross-eyed drunk. People who compare it to In N Out are out of their minds.

Red Mill, now those are godly burgers. I miss them.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Darth Pinche said:
If we are talking burger joints, the Red Mill gets my vote over Dick's.

Obviously, but there's only one Red Mill location and you've got to wait in line around 20-30 minutes on average before your order gets taken.

Hilbert

distantmantra said:
I know they're in the suburbs, but we don't have a Fatburger in Seattle. Went to one in Hollywood once, it was good.

Really there are none in Seattle? My eastside lifestyle is showing though....sorry!

Anyone have a tapas recommendation in Seattle?

element

Zefah said:
Obviously, but there's only one Red Mill location and you've got to wait in line around 20-30 minutes on average before your order gets taken.
There are two Red Mill locations, and a third one opening soon. Interbay, Phinney, and Ballard Locks (soon).

Wolfe

BatmanBatmanBatman said:

SrCUZ.jpg

Shit is just wannabe In N Out but with less freedom (can't change anything on the burgers, what you see on the menu is what you get). Don't get me wrong I love it cause it's the closest thing to In N Out but it's not the same.

I moved up here from northern (bay area) California so obviously I'm biased, hard to see how I can't be when you directly compare the two places though!

Edit: And don't get me started on Red Mill, took me a while to finally try the place but after seeing it on Man Vs Food I was sorely disappointed. While it was decent it definitely wasn't great, seemed like they are riding heavily on that dumb "mound of bacon" they always have going in the kitchen, they even sell postcards of it...

Anyway I much prefer Blue Moon or Zippy's over Red Mill any day (Zippy's being my #1 choice but it's all the way over in white center).

Salmonax said:
Yeah, Dick's is only marginally acceptable if you're cross-eyed drunk. People who compare it to In N Out are out of their minds.

Red Mill, now those are godly burgers. I miss them.

WORD! Red Mill rocks! Dick's sucks...well, dicks.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
element said:
There are two Red Mill locations, and a third one opening soon. Interbay, Phinney, and Ballard Locks (soon).

Shit, you're right. I've only ever been to the Phinney Ridge one.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wolfe said:
Shit is just wannabe In N Out but with less freedom (can't change anything on the burgers, what you see on the menu is what you get). Don't get me wrong I love it cause it's the closest thing to In N Out but it's not the same.

I moved up here from northern (bay area) California so obviously I'm biased, hard to see how I can't be when you directly compare the two places though!

Edit: And don't get me started on Red Mill, took me a while to finally try the place but after seeing it on Man Vs Food I was sorely disappointed. While it was decent it definitely wasn't great, seemed like they are riding heavily on that dumb "mound of bacon" they always have going in the kitchen, they even sell postcards of it...

Anyway I much prefer Blue Moon or Zippy's over Red Mill any day (Zippy's being my #1 choice but it's all the way over in white center).

Uneeda Burger in Fremont is a new place that's also pretty damn good. Never any huge lines, lots of indoor and outdoor seating, and a good, fully customizable selection. They also have a decent selection of microbrews.

Hilbert

Zefah said:
Uneeda Burger in Fremont is a new place that's also pretty damn good. Never any huge lines, lots of indoor and outdoor seating, and a good, fully customizable selection. They also have a decent selection of microbrews.

I while ago I collected a list of burger places I had to try in the seattle area. I am going to add this Uneeda place. I got most of these from one of those seattle magazines, but I am always looking for more places to add. This is my list:

Spring Hill

Red Mill Burgers

Jak's Grill

Zippy’s Giant Burgers

Teddy’s Bigger Burgers

22 Doors

Burgermaster

Skillet

Café Campagne

Stumbling Goat Bistro

Two Bells

Voilà! Bistrot

Palace Kitchen

Lunchbox Laboratory

Wolfe

Zefah said:

You're right, I had forgotten that I'd been there a few months back and was quite pleased with the burger I had.

Hilbert: There's a new place in cap hill called Lil Woody's that's supposed to be neat (read about it in the cap hill blog but don't know anyone that's actually been there yet). It's on Pine just past the freeway overpass (by the dog park).

dubc35

Hilbert said:
list of burger places
I've heard The Counter is good. There is one in Ballard by the Trader Joes. Bing's in Madison Park has a good burger. One of the most surprisingly good ones I have found is at Seattle Burger Company, which probably still has the Piada Italia sign up. It's kind of a hole in the wall and never has been too busy when I have been there. It's not much on ambiance or anything but they have a good burger and sell beer as well. I know not everyone drinks but I like a beer with a burger.

[edit] also we need to update the OP to include all the great things Seattle has to offer. I'm a jr still so I can't post stuff to it but I am willing to help out if someone wants to compile it all.

Wolfe

dubc35 said:
[edit] also we need to update the OP to include all the great things Seattle has to offer. I'm a jr still so I can't post stuff to it but I am willing to help out if someone wants to compile it all.

You mean like the Monorail and the Street Car?!

Hilbert said:
Really there are none in Seattle? My eastside lifestyle is showing though....sorry!

Anyone have a tapas recommendation in Seattle?
taberna del alabardero happy hour
Wolfe said:

About time people call out these "local" favorites. Red Mill ain't nothing special. It tastes like Costco burgers I make from the grill. The bacon is good, but seriously, how can you screw up bacon if cooked fresh.

Blue Moon is underrated. The one in Fremont is pretty good. Try the BOKA burger at the BOKA Kitchen in downtown. Go happy hour for a reasonably priced gourmet burger. Painted Hill's beef, Beecher's cheddar, house pickles, pickled onion, and truffle fries.

5 Guys is ok, but I would only go there to eat calories, not for taste.

Wolfe

dubc35 said:
Well, we don't have Lyle Lanley or anything good to say about the SLUT. Perhaps something else? lol

Yeah after moving up here and being used to Bart I saw the monorail and said "what the fuck is the point of this?" My favorite part was that time the cars got stuck against each other going opposite ways, what a clusterfuck.

marathonfool said:
taberna del alabardero happy hour

About time people call out these "local" favorites. Red Mill ain't nothing special. It tastes like Costco burgers I make from the grill. The bacon is good, but seriously, how can you screw up bacon if cooked fresh.

Blue Moon is underrated. The one in Fremont is pretty good. Try the BOKA burger at the BOKA Kitchen in downtown. Go happy hour for a reasonably priced gourmet burger. Painted Hill's beef, Beecher's cheddar, house pickles, pickled onion, and truffle fries.

5 Guys is ok, but I would only go there to eat calories, not for taste.

Right on dude *high five*

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Gaspode_T said:

So true. I did some embarrassing, pathetic shit when I was a teenager, but we did not use temperatures of 65 and above as a signal to display our abs to the opposite sex.

And Dicks is horrible. Greasy damp burgers that can be satisfying if that's what you're in the mood for but I would NEVER recommend it. Lunchbox Lab, sure.

If you really want a sandwich nobody, not even a New Yorker will argue with, go to Paseo on Fremont. Insider tip, order before you go and pick up to avoid line madness.

D23

Hilbert said:
I while ago I collected a list of burger places I had to try in the seattle area. I am going to add this Uneeda place. I got most of these from one of those seattle magazines, but I am always looking for more places to add. This is my list:

Spring Hill

Red Mill Burgers

Jak's Grill

Zippy’s Giant Burgers

Teddy’s Bigger Burgers

22 Doors

Burgermaster

Skillet

Café Campagne

Stumbling Goat Bistro

Two Bells

Voilà! Bistrot

Palace Kitchen

Lunchbox Laboratory

u forgot XXX burger in Issaquah (my city) burger is hugeee and they have one of the best root beer ever!

D23

blurrygil said:
F*ck freaknight. I hate the people that run that show, personally. It used to be brilliant, word-of-mouth, online find and have a good time type of gig. I swear to gawd they give away more tix on the radio than sell em, now. Ya get nothing but idiot girls from the state colleges and jocks in there, cos it's so marketed. A lot like all the USC events 'round here. Just terrible, imo.

Keep in mind, I used to spin. So I can come off as a dick about it all. But it honestly just isn't the same anymore.

eh its all about the music for me.. this year the line up is by far the best one i think. like 20 of my friends are going so we are going to have a blast :D

Top Bottom