• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

DSmalls84

I only got to play for about 45 minutes today (updates and transferring data took hours) but I like what I have played so far. It's definitely slow and methodical but the atmosphere is great. I thought the prepper talking to you through the gamepad was a nice touch. I spent a lot of time scanning the environments and looking for supplies and also found some graffiti tags. I'm still trying to get used to the controls but I think that has more to do with the size and layout of the gamepad. Overall it seems like a pretty good game, but I'm not really that far into it yet.

antonz

I am enjoying the game a lot. My very first survivor made it roughly 25 minutes. Went to enter the grocery store backdoor and well bad things happen.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Complete and total stoner moment right now.

ZombiU is by far the most intense game I've ever played. I'm on pins and needles every second. I'm in
buckingham
right now looking for
the doctor
and it's jus absolutely insane.
the turret scene when you have to look at the tablet. Incredible.

By far the scariest game I've ever played. This could be the future of gaming.

I have to agree with Dsmalls, the atmosphere is excellent. Love that you don't just sprint and shoot. Definitely requires patience. I haven't lost a survivor yet but I'm always tense.

Hiltz

Got some questions for U guys.

- Are you encountering any unresponsive touchscreen issues for inventory management/ puzzle-solving that some reviews complain about ? Do you prefer using your finger or stylus pen ?

- Is combat fairly tedious due to having to beat down a zombie with multiple hits ?

- Is using the GamePad scanner mechanic not as fun as you thought it would be ?

- Are the graphics as unimpressive as they've been made out to be ?

- Are the controls intuitive, tight but intentionally cumbersome/limiting/sluggish, kind of like RE Remake ?

- Have you found it worthwhile attempting to retrieve your backpack after your last playable character was killed off ?

- Are the puzzle-solving touchscreen aspects of the game gimmicky ?

- What's your favorite part about ZombiU ?

Thanks in advance.

Margalis

Banned
Game is amazing. Don't understand the negative reviews.

It doesn't fit into a neat little box.

Or, to be more charitable to reviewers, it does something different that forces reviewers to evaluate their own experience with the game instead of saying "it's a shooter with above average graphics - 8"

Got some questions for U guys.

- Are you encountering any unresponsive touchscreen issues for inventory management/ puzzle-solving that some reviews complain about ? Do you prefer using your finger or stylus pen ?

- Is combat fairly tedious due to having to beat down a zombie with multiple hits ?

- Is using the GamePad scanner mechanic not as fun as you thought it would be ?

- Are the graphics as unimpressive as they've been made out to be ?

- Are the puzzle-solving touchscreen aspects of the game gimmicky ?

- What's your favorite part about ZombiU ?

Thanks in advance.

1. Nope, everything responds well. Anytime it doesn't is due to my error, not the gamepad. Also, finger all the way.

2. The scanner is ok. I knew that overusing it would make things too...detached, so I generally loot containers myself and only scan bodies I suspect aren't fully dead.

3. Don't know what the big deal on graphics is, but it isn't anything fancy. The textures are pretty plain and muddy, there's a dirty lens effect on the camera which is neat, but it all lends to the atmosphere to where it doesn't really matter. The only distraction I see at times is environment clipping, but I see that in a lot of fantastic games where I don't see why it was so negatively noted.

4. There really isn't much puzzle solving (don't get why that's a big deal either). The keypad is nice. However, the tapping on barricades/manhole covers is about as gimmicky as it gets in the game, and really wasn't needed.

5. The atmosphere is the best part. Not many games can nail that down, but so far this one is doing great.

Edit: Regarding the melee combat, it depends. If you do the same thing 100% of the time, you are going to find it tedious and boring. It's the bi-product of conservative gameplay. As long as you mix it up and don't go at it one-dimensionally, it shouldn't feel like too much of a chore.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Sorry guys, didn't get to play ZombiU multiplayer because some family came over as well and we ended up playing NintendoLand for hours and hours. I'm about to jump into the main campaign again though, glad to see some more people enjoying it. It really is unlike anything else.

Hiltz

1. Nope, everything responds well. Anytime it doesn't is due to my error, not the gamepad. Also, finger all the way.

2. The scanner is ok. I knew that overusing it would make things too...detached, so I generally loot containers myself and only scan bodies I suspect aren't fully dead.

3. Don't know what the big deal on graphics is, but it isn't anything fancy. The textures are pretty plain and muddy, there's a dirty lens effect on the camera which is neat, but it all lends to the atmosphere to where it doesn't really matter. The only distraction I see at times is environment clipping, but I see that in a lot of fantastic games where I don't see why it was so negatively noted.

4. There really isn't much puzzle solving (don't get why that's a big deal either). The keypad is nice. However, the tapping on barricades/manhole covers is about as gimmicky as it gets in the game, and really wasn't needed.

5. The atmosphere is the best part. Not many games can nail that down, but so far this one is doing great.

Edit: Regarding the melee combat, it depends. If you do the same thing 100% of the time, you are going to find it tedious and boring. It's the bi-product of conservative gameplay. As long as you mix it up and don't go at it one-dimensionally, it shouldn't feel like too much of a chore.

Thanks for replying, ArkkAngel007. It sounds like the game is still going to appeal to me and other gamers then.

The one thing I really dislike is the constant "look at your gamepad" prompts. We have a tutorial that teaches us all of these things, so the prompts should have been put to rest aside from new mechanics being introduced. I don't need to be reminded that I'm playing a video game when the rest of the game is trying to draw me into its world.

dwu8991

Banned
The one thing I really dislike is the constant "look at your gamepad" prompts. We have a tutorial that teaches us all of these things, so the prompts should have been put to rest aside from new mechanics being introduced. I don't need to be reminded that I'm playing a video game when the rest of the game is trying to draw me into its world.

THIS - very unnecessary to go beyond the tutorial but that applies for all third party games that insist on the look at wii u pad promts

Hiltz

I was afraid of the constant prompts messages, but developers probably want to make sure we get used to the two-screen gameplay experience. Personally, I found it a slightly jarring at first not knowing when to look at the touchscreen during the Rayman Legends demo. I was still looking at the TV screen and didn't realize until a few seconds later that the character I was controlling was actually being controlled by the AI. Anyway, devs are going to eventually start to learn how to make that easier on the player without having to hammering in prompt reminders it over our heads while gamers get used to the two-screen learning curve.

kizmah

Impressions in this thread sound just like what I expected and hoped for this game to be. I am very much looking forward to EU release.

Shallwhat

Banned
Pretty sure I set a record for dying the quickest with the first survivor. I couldn't even make it up the freaking ladder in the beginning. I died, and was respawned with a chick in some room.

antonz

This game is incredible. It keeps getting better and better.

This is the WiiU's killer app.

I agree. I can see why in this day and age it might be a title that is all over the place score wise but if you are looking for an honest to god Survival Horror game this is it. if you try to play this like Call of Duty etc. You will die over and over

totowhoa

Banned
Man you guys are making me want to pick it up ASAP now! It's sounding like a decent survival horror which is exactly what I wanted. I might try to wait for the first price drop.... but if I plow through Mario during the holidays I might have to grab this, heh.

Watched the first 20 minutes of a walkthrough, wow the game gives me an entirely different impression than I expected from the reviews. Looks straight up terrifying at points, too bad I'll probably never own a WiiU:(

Jubbly

EU second-rate citizen here: Has anyone worked out how to deploy a mine without insta-assploding? Saw that happen in the QL, on a random stream, and in the GameSpot video review.

antonz

EU second-rate citizen here: Has anyone worked out how to deploy a mine without insta-assploding? Saw that happen in the QL, on a random stream, and in the GameSpot video review.

yeah I dropped a mine and backed away fine. Its possible the GB guys may have walked into it by mistake or a zombie tripped it right away while he was in range.

I allready posted on Montpelliers Facebook page asking for a patch to enable an option to toggle this.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
holy fucking shit.

I just played this game with my 3 roommates, and we had a blast as ZombiU scared the shit out of us. The sound design and atmosphere are incredible, and the game gets better and better as you survive longer.

It's not perfect, but wow. I knew this game was gold when a shadow of a crow was cast on a wall of a building and I followed it to its source (from a far distance), aimed up at the crow, and shot him while watching the shadow follow its movements. Hnnnggg..

Best survival horror I have ever played.

Preorderd the Zombiu Bundle. But I live in germany so the wait is unbearable. I think I'll sell the pro- controller and buy Nintendoland instead. I still have two wiimotes and nunchuck so I won't use it anyway

jaaz

Loving these impressions. Kudos to Ubisoft for having the balls to put out a survivor horror game instead of selling out a la Konami and going with yet another Zombie action game like L4D. I might just buy two copies and give one away to help support them.

How does the games use Miiverse/online stuff? Is it just the standard messageboard thing plus the in game spraypaint messages and pulling in other survivor zombies? Is there any way of comparing your scores with people on your friend list, other than posting to Miiverse?

From what I am hearing, I like the "Dark Souls" style of survaving.

Question: how is the graphic side of the game? Reviewers seems to be complaining about the low res textures and so on.

yeah I dropped a mine and backed away fine. Its possible the GB guys may have walked into it by mistake or a zombie tripped it right away while he was in range.

My assumption is that it's a proxy mine tuned to zombie presence, so if you lay it in proximity to zombies it's blowing up right away. That's what happened in GB's look.

From what I am hearing, I like the "Dark Souls" style of survaving.

Question: how is the graphic side of the game? Reviewers seems to be complaining about the low res textures and so on.

Art design and lighting, when put together, can be absolutely incredible during times in this game. Textures however, are bad.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
These impressions, HNNNGH

30th can't come soon enough
I am still unsure,but if I pick up a WiiU it will be solely for this game. This game definitely is a system seller, although not as huge as others in the past were.

Top Bottom