• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

Currently playing DMC1 for the first time and loving it!

However, I'm just starting mission 10, and just recently got the Ifrit but it seems more difficult to use than the Alistor, any advice on when to use it, or should I just ignore it??

Sagitario

Ordered the X360 version: better chance for backwards compatibility >>> slightly controller preference for DMC.

One thing I haven't read much about it: how are the load times?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Currently playing DMC1 for the first time and loving it!

However, I'm just starting mission 10, and just recently got the Ifrit but it seems more difficult to use than the Alistor, any advice on when to use it, or should I just ignore it??

Ifrit doesn't have the range or speed that Alastor does, but it more than makes up for it in raw power. Regular marionettes die in a single fully charged Ifrit punch on Normal. It's also the weapon of choice for several boss fights.

Ordered the X360 version: better chance for backwards compatibility >>> slightly controller preference for DMC.

One thing I haven't read much about it: how are the load times?

Load times are great. As fast as the originals, if not faster.

Kayo-kun

Just started playing DMC1 and I got my ass handed by Shadow. Damn, I've become absolutely horrible at this game, I can't even figure out how you dodged. I even died once against the spider boss because I became too reckless.

I'll check the tactics documents and try to remember some of the combos.

Is there any way to revert my DMC1 save back to normal after beating the game? Since it automatically switches to Hard. I want to practice a bit more on normal, and to get the rest of the blue orbs and stuff.

I played 9 missions in DMC2, blech, enough awfulness to last me a lifetime. Truly horrible.

I also finished DMC3 recently, it improved on DMC1's gameplay, but it was literally a step-back in everything else design-wise. The last couple of levels were fucking awful. I think it was more inspired by 2 rather than 1. Then again, having the same director probably has that effect. Though I really enjoyed the story.

Now don't get me wrong, I love 3. But every platforming section and every "puzzle" felt like a slap in the face. 1 had a few of those, but no where near as annoying. Also the boss gauntlet at the end of every action game is a cliche that should just die already, talk about padding...

gunbo13

By the way, this is the first I have ever seen the video. Very nice job with Vergil
You should watch Red Devil from the OP. I only spent a day on the Vergil video so it isn't nearly as advanced. I also never bothered to fix the UT block cause of that.

The vid now features Chopin instead of Megadeth. I figured the facebook crowd would appreciate the classics.
And I wanted to troll a bit.

gunbo13

I haven't played DMC for weeks...still got DMC4 on my mind though.

I still have to make that action game community thread. Anyone on gaf really knowledgeable about NG? I'm no slouch but I would guess that is the one main action game we aren't as fluid with. Bayo and DMC we can of course handle. I can handle GoW3 if needed and God Hand can be scooped up by us.

Not sure what other games to focus on:
DMC
NG
Bayo
GoW
God Hand

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Is there any way to revert my DMC1 save back to normal after beating the game? Since it automatically switches to Hard. I want to practice a bit more on normal, and to get the rest of the blue orbs and stuff.

After beating it on Hard you'll have the option of going back to Normal, playing again on Hard, or progressing to Dante Must Die. It's weird, but beating it on Normal forces you into Hard regardless.

I still have to make that action game community thread. Anyone on gaf really knowledgeable about NG? I'm no slouch but I would guess that is the one main action game we aren't as fluid with. Bayo and DMC we can of course handle. I can handle GoW3 if needed and God Hand can be scooped up by us.

Not sure what other games to focus on:
DMC
NG
Bayo
GoW
God Hand

iconoclast is probably the Ninja Gaiden authority on GAF. I'm sure there are others as well, though.

After beating it on Hard you'll have the option of going back to Normal, playing again on Hard, or progressing to Dante Must Die. It's weird, but beating it on Normal forces you into Hard regardless.
Wow that sucks, I guess I'll just have to brave through it whenever I get to doing another playthrough. Can't be that hard right? I didn't really have a big problem on Normal, though I had to use some holy waters and gold orbs here and there.

Jigsaw

Banned
Wow that sucks, I guess I'll just have to brave through it whenever I get to doing another playthrough. Can't be that hard right? I didn't really have a big problem on Normal, though I had to use some holy waters and gold orbs here and there.

hard is easy,i finished it yesterday in one sitting in 3 hours 6 minutes,didn't used any items besides 1 vital star for griffon 3,1 untouchable for nightmare 3 (last core) and 2 devil stars for mundus 1

i now have 13 devil stars,15 holy waters,7 untouchables and like 50 yellow orbs for dmd,plus the ones you get during the game,should be relatively easy

Just beat DMC 1 on Normal and Hard. Holy crap, this game is seriously a masterpiece. The foundation it laid can be seen in every DMC game, whether it is soundtrack, art style, combat, design, mission structure, etc.

Although at times the guns can be borderline OP, I really appreciate the feeling of having guns that feel like strong weapons and can be used as actual strategies against enemies. As for melee weapons, the elemental aspects of them are amazing, and Ifrit to me is the best weapon ever in DMC. It blows my mind how strong it is, how cool it looks, and how useful it is. Loved Rolling Blaze. For me I just needed one more weapon and the game would feel complete, and this is interesting because in DMC4 I felt the exact opposite - I wanted more weapons, and still do to this day.

The game obviously has some interesting design choices, like the water levels, the space battle, some emphasis on platforming. But I appreciate all of those because this game felt to be an actual game, actual adventure. This game is total package. DMC3 and 4 can be a bit off to the other side the coin in emphasis on freestyle combats.

Again, this game laid some serious foundation in the franchise, and it is a shame that we never get to see what Kamiya, or even the current DMC team would have done to push it further within the same franchise, given the proper opportunity.

It annoys me to this day to read that DMC is stale or getting old. Nothing can be further from the truth. This game, just like DMC3, is one of its kind - there has been, past or present, nothing like it.

NIN90

Finished DMC1 today in 5 hours. Didn't remember the game being this short. Was a breeze except the Mundus fight. I cheesed it with devil stars because I really didn't care for the first 2 forms.

That said, DMC1 didn't age all that well. Combat feels kinda stiff and I feel like there aren't very many combat options at my disposal.

So with that done, why is the very first mid-boss in DMC3 (death dude with the scythe) beating my ass right now? :lol

Mechazawa

So, I have a question regarding the shop maybe someone can answer.

Since every time you purchase a Vital Star, the cost of one increases, does the shop ever run out of them? Or does the price simply rise and rise until it plateaus at some point?

Dahbomb

I am pretty sure it stops at a certain price max. Blue and Purple orbs run out eventually. Some items like Untouchables in DMC1 have a stock limit meaning you can't buy more if you have a certain amount in your stash already.

Although I am the last person to ask about items in DMC...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So, I have a question regarding the shop maybe someone can answer.

Since every time you purchase a Vital Star, the cost of one increases, does the shop ever run out of them? Or does the price simply rise and rise until it plateaus at some point?

Pretty sure it rises and then eventually plateus. I don't think they ever sell out. For an achievement in DMC4, you had to completely fill your inventory with items, so you could just keep buying and buying until you reached your inventory max. I don't think that aspect of the games changed from 1-4.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Bumping to ask a question if anyone knows of any technical details between the 360 and ps3 version? Graphics differences? Is 360 2 discs?

Archon473

Heads up: Amazon has a notable seller offering the collection at $20, eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping. Grabbed this (finally) and will probably have all three games Platinum'd before I beat Bayonetta once.

Archon473

DMC3 will not take me long as I am intimately familiar with the game. I have DMC3 SS ranked on my PS2 memory card, and I've beaten DMC1 on DMD many times (never new much about Special Bonus runs, though). I have never played DMC2 so perhaps that will take awhile if the game is truly awful and I cannot bear it.

Noi

DMC3 will not take me long as I am intimately familiar with the game. I have DMC3 SS ranked on my PS2 memory card, and I've beaten DMC1 on DMD many times (never new much about Special Bonus runs, though). I have never played DMC2 so perhaps that will take awhile if the game is truly awful and I cannot bear it.

By far the worst part of the DMC2 plat is Bloody Palace, since the enemies in the game were simply not designed to be fought in a small, walled-off room (if they had any coherent design at all). You also need to beat the game a total of 5 times, four with either character on Normal and Hard and a fifth run (preferably using Trish) on Must Die.

SmithnCo

By far the worst part of the DMC2 plat is Bloody Palace, since the enemies in the game were simply not designed to be fought in a small, walled-off room (if they had any coherent design at all). You also need to beat the game a total of 5 times, four with either character on Normal and Hard and a fifth run (preferably using Trish) on Must Die.

I heard if you use cheats you can get it down to three runs, has that worked for anyone?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The most annoying trophy in DMC1 is the monster files

I burnt out trying to obtain that one

Archon473

The most annoying trophy in DMC1 is the monster files

I burnt out trying to obtain that one

I am actually looking forward to this one. I know I have not seen all each enemy has to offer and Tai Chi has a nice guide explaining how to coax each enemy into certain attacks. The only tricky one involves dying to a particular enemy. I do not know if this involves being killed by a Blade when you're health is in the red. Do you know?

I don't know if all the cheats work in the NA version of the game.

According to PS3Trophies, the Infinite DT cheat does not work making a legit Bloody Palace run necessary.

Bumping to ask a question if anyone knows of any technical details between the 360 and ps3 version? Graphics differences? Is 360 2 discs?

Since no one answered this I'm assuming there's no difference between versions? I'd prefer the 360 version but not if there's a difference between consoles.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
There's more performance differences between the original Playstation versions and the HD ports than there are between the two console versions of the collection

Archon473

You know, you're right. Load times are way faster. My game slows occassionally when entering large areas (leaving Nevan's cave, for example) but never when entering areas containing enemies, so it's a non-issue.

EDIT: Just began playing DMC1 and the controls are fucked. My options are Triangle to shoot, Circle to slash with X being jump, or Triangle slashes, Circle/Square shoot and X jumps. This is in tradition with the original Japanese version of the game and it sucks fully. Apparently there are other absurd changes due to this emulation being of the Japanese version and not the US version. Strange since I imagine this collection was aimed at US players. So after 500 hours of having Circle slashes/Triangle jumps embedded in my brain, I've got to reeducate myself. Er, fuck that. I'm playing my PS2 copy.

I completely understand all the hate that's been going around for DMC2 for over a decade when I finally played it.

I don't know why I'm even trying to 1000 that game, I only have to beat 2 more levels on Lucia Must Die using
Trish

I don't know how I endured it but I'll say it now, DMC2 is a huge piece of shit.

Llyranor

Just started playing this today. Jumped into DMC3 straight away (if I finish it, I might go Vergil mode or play DMC1, whichever).

I turned on Turbo mode, and so far I like it. The faster pace seems nice. How does this impact gameplay/balance, though? Is Turbo a wise choice for a first playthrough?

Dahbomb

Just started playing this today. Jumped into DMC3 straight away (if I finish it, I might go Vergil mode or play DMC1, whichever).

I turned on Turbo mode, and so far I like it. The faster pace seems nice. How does this impact gameplay/balance, though? Is Turbo a wise choice for a first playthrough?
It doesn't impact balance but it impacts game play in that comboing enemies becomes a bit tougher with jump cancels as you have to do things faster and you have to evade faster. Turbo mode pretty much became the default mode for DMC3SE among pros anyway.

Archon473

Since difficulty trophies do not stack, clearing Very Hard is the last obstacle between me and the Platinum. I'm going to run Super Dante + Doppelganger and see if the style has any practical use. If not, there's always this.

EDIT: Turns out Doppelganger is quite useful against Nevan and Doppelganger himself, and perhaps Lady. Against Nevan, equipping Beowulf with your shadow lets you destroy her bats twice as fast, and he'll beat on her once she's vulnerable while you lash her with Cerberus. In the case of both Nevan and Doppelganger, both enter vulnerable states dictated by time rather than hits; Dante's shadow lets you deal double damage since he's hitting twice with the power of a Devil Triggered weapon. Because neither boss attacks while vulnerable, there is no way to Just Release on them for Royal Guard damage (maybe you can Just Release Nevan's bats or another attack when she's one hit from being vulnerable). Lady may also have a time-sensitive vulnerable state after she attempts her multi-missile "Alright..." attack, but I'll need to test further. She's pretty weak regardless.

Curufinwe

I love those kinds of tips because I'd never figure that out on my own. Got a five day weekend starting now so hopefully DMC HD will arrive from Newegg tomorrow.

Top Bottom