• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Strider game? (XBLA/Steam Leak)

ezekial45

Banned
From Steam Achievement thread:

JUST_THE_BEGINNING
Just the Beginning
Complete Tower of Doom

THE_FINAL_CHAPTER
The Final Chapter
Complete Shadow over Mystara
Well there it is. I'm getting the PC version then.

Perfect soundtrack, and my favorite downloadable game from the gen after Journey and Wipeout HD.

You mean this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWCJFID0mkA ?

I would've loved to see how far they got on this and what their other ideas were. I'm glad they kept the soviet influences and Siberian-esque setting.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
tumblr_lr4atimT8k1qd9g7oo1_500.png

Throw in a vote of support for Cannon Dancer. It's balls hard and makes...negative sense, but like Strider 2 it controls like a dream, and has fantastic aesthetics.

Okay so digging in to this on a site that publicly lists all changes to the Steam registry, I've been able to wiggle out a few extremely thin details by taking the App # from the leaked achievement icon.

For starters, it's been in the Steam registry for about three months. Apparently a (probably non-public) store page went up for it for a few days under the name "Untitled Game (DH_DLC)". That store page was removed 11 days later.

Believe it or not, the game has a Steam Community Hub: http://steamcommunity.com/app/222920

There's nothing there, though, except for a single screenshot that looks like it was either deleted or is privated. Going to the profile page of the guy who posted the image (ascarlston), Steam lists him as owning one game but nothing publicly shows up in his game library. Friends on his friends list are in similar boats - "joseguera" is listed as owning ten games, but only three display publicly.

Interestingly, "joseguera" is friends with who appears to be a gameplay programmer at Double Helix Games. Maybe that's who's making this Strider thing? The "DH" in the game's temporary store name would definitely suggest Double Helix.

terrisus

A perfect game should never be changed because people are bad at it.

Also I'm glad I predicted this.

The wall-jumping I can understand that argument, I suppose I've never been good at wall-jumping in general.

But, for the other part, half the time when I would try to jump while walking up or down an incline, practically nothing at all would happen, while the other half it would actually jump like normal. If you have any tips on jumping while walking up or down an incline, I'd certainly be interested, since, 20 years of playing it, and it's still hit-or-miss for me.

yurinka

Throw in a vote of support for Cannon Dancer. It's balls hard and makes...negative sense, but like Strider 2 it controls like a dream, and has fantastic aesthetics.
After several years after it, I player Cannon Dancer (Osman) and it's pretty bad in terms of difficulty balance. I was really happy with Strider 2.

TreIII

Yeah, it's another good option, yet Cannon Dancer was made by the original development team of Strider Hiryu who left Capcom and fund Mitchell, is the most closest spiritual sequel to the first game.

Osman/Cannon Dancer? Very good game. Wish that Mitchell could make another! ...Or at least port the game to the 3DS eShop.

Or hell, it would be an interesting twist if Capcom somehow hit up Mitchell to make this game! Fat chance, I'm sure, but hey...

ezekial45

Banned
Okay so digging in to this on a site that publicly lists all changes to the Steam registry, I've been able to wiggle out a few extremely thin details by taking the App # from the leaked achievement icon.

For starters, it's been in the Steam registry for about three months. Apparently a (probably non-public) store page went up for it for a few days under the name "Untitled Game (DH_DLC)". That store page was removed 11 days later.

Believe it or not, the game has a Steam Community Hub: http://steamcommunity.com/app/222920

There's nothing there, though, except for a single screenshot that looks like it was either deleted or is privated. Going to the profile page of the guy who posted the image (ascarlston), Steam lists him as owning one game but nothing publicly shows up in his game library. Friends on his friends list are in similar boats - "joseguera" is listed as owning ten games, but only three display publicly.

Interestingly, "joseguera" is friends with who appears to be a gameplay programmer at Double Helix Games. Maybe that's who's making this Strider thing? The "DH" in the game's temporary store name would definitely suggest Double Helix.

Interesting.

Glass Rebel

yes yes yes YES

aw hell naw!

Now I'm really hoping that it's a remake.

Withholding excitement until I hear who's making it.

Aaaaand, that would be why.

ezekial45

Banned
Double Helix Games...? The guys who made Front Mission Evolved?

...yeah...

I'm a firm believer of giving people a chance. This game is smaller in scope compared to FME, and though that game wasn't all good it did have some neat ideas to go with it.

So I definitely think they're capable of delivering. Hopefully.

I guess we know the two PAX games now.

Neither would be my first choice, but I am glad Capcom is utilizing dormant IPs. Now lets get to the ones I want like Rival Schools and Slam Masters.

I'm a firm believer of giving people a chance. This game is smaller in scope compared to FME, and though that game wasn't all good it did have some neat ideas to go with it.

So I definitely think they're capable of delivering. Hopefully.

GiantBomb seemed unexpectedly positive about that Battleship game, anyway. They might be able to do something cool.

Neff

The wall-jumping I can understand that argument, I suppose I've never been good at wall-jumping in general.

But, for the other part, half the time when I would try to jump while walking up or down an incline, practically nothing at all would happen, while the other half it would actually jump like normal. If you have any tips on jumping while walking up or down an incline, I'd certainly be interested, since, 20 years of playing it, and it's still hit-or-miss for me.

Hiryu's inertia on slopes is heavy, and completely relative to the angle of his footing. You'll meet a lot of resistance when jumping an incline unless you're moving fast, but jumping toward inclines isn't really a good idea unless you're not being attacked and want to ascend them quickly. Neutral jumps are probably the best way of getting out of harm's way temporarily, but again, you'll need to be at the right speed. Managing your inertia is the key.

RedSwirl

Still haven't played the previous games. I'm trying to track down Strider 2 because I heard it comes with the original game on a second disc. Is that the best way to get the two games?

Dahbomb

I've been wanting another action game in the vein of Strider 2 for years. One of the best controlling games I've ever played, and I love it's set-piece driven pacing.

Please be the Rearmed of this franchise
Hear ye, hear ye

I want this injected in my veins already.

Ya know, Capcom only recently got the Strider license back for UMvC3. Guess they want to get the most out of it they can.
That's exactly what I said in the FGW thread.

Still haven't played the previous games. I'm trying to track down Strider 2 because I heard it comes with the original game on a second disc. Is that the best way to get the two games?

Pretty much, yeah. Playing the first game on PS1 actually unlocks some stuff in Strider 2.

Fodder76

Strider is easily up there in my favorite games of all time list, but for some reason this doesn't excite me. I guess I feel fairly certain that whatever this is, it wont have the same feel as the original.

I genuinely hope I'm proven wrong though!

IrishNinja

SHIT YES AVATAR QUOTE ALL OVER MY FACE

I've been wanting another action game in the vein of Strider 2 for years. One of the best controlling games I've ever played, and I love it's set-piece driven pacing.

Please be the Rearmed of this franchise

i am so so with this person

This is cool and all, but I hope this isn't the second PAX East announcement :|

god enzos why must you be the way you are

Top Bottom