• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name one documentary that you feel people should watch and explain why

dose

movieposter.jpg

It's as taut a thriller as any studio-made film, except it's a documentary. The cinematography and editing are beyond most docs I've watched, even in interview settings. It's the rare occurrence where the subject matter, as crazy as it is, is made so much better by the direction. Highly recommended for anybody who likes true crime.
Came here to post this, great choice. Don't read anything about it, just watch it.

Andrin

how+to+survive+a+plague.jpg

It's about the early years of the AIDS epidemic and the various people and groups that formed to bring about legislation, medical research and treatment and policy changes to fight the disease.

It's informative and powerful stuff, showing me a part of history I wasn't particularly aware of.

I can only second this suggestion. It shines a spotlight on a massive human tragedy that has all but been forgotten by most people, despite happening less than 40 years ago. It shows the lives (and deaths) of several of the victims of the AIDS-crisis, as well as all of the activism that took place to not just find a cure, but to get acknowledgement that there was a problem in the first place. And it also shows that Reagan and his administration were some of the biggest monsters in US history, not just for permanently ruining your economy, but because of their actions during the crisis. They not only ignored the problem, they actively sabotaged any attempts to study and/or quarantine the epidemic before it had spread beyond control and infected millions of people, simply because a lot of the early victims were part of the LGBT+ community. They shackled the CDC and forced them to watch and do nothing. They stopped the FDA from working to approve potential drugs. They directly lead to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of their own citizens. Words cannot describe just how much I loathe Reagan. As far as I'm concerned he's up there with some of the worst butchers in history.

silentg

Please watch Adam Curtis' Bitter Lake...

https://youtu.be/XIjhcGu08Pk

Apologies, as I didn't explain why.

A heartbreaking and slightly psychedelic documentary from one of the UK's best political doc makers, this one about the pivotal role of Afghanistan in global politics over the past 100 years...

I’m generally not one for UFO conspiracy theories. However, this one is very informative, well made, and presents some interesting ideas. You can tell a lot of work and research went into this.

Came to post this. A friend recommended it to me, because he's all into alien stuff, and I told him I wouldn't watch some random youtube doc haha.
The part showing how the guy made cars run out of water, and the gov't just snatched that away... damn.
I do wonder if these people get paid off.

Def grabbed my attention.

Waiting_for_Superman.jpg

"Waiting for Superman" is my pick. Takes quite a deep look at the American public education system and a lot of it's pitfalls. It's pretty eye opening, but you can't recite it as gospel as it does suffer from some misleading statistics. Still though, absolutely worth a watch.

WolfeTone

Waiting_for_Superman.jpg

"Waiting for Superman" is my pick. Takes quite a deep look at the American public education system and a lot of it's pitfalls. It's pretty eye opening, but you can't recite it as gospel as it does suffer from some misleading statistics. Still though, absolutely worth a watch.

I was going to post this as well. It's quite a powerful documentary and you come away from it understanding many of the problems of the US education system. Caveat is that it pushes charter schools as a solution quite heavily which many don't believe is the solution (myself among them).

images

A light-hearted yet oddly informative film not only about the history of "Chinese food" (aka Chinese-American food), but it also goes quite into depth into the history of Chinese immigrants to America.

Pretty funny documentary, too.

Oh my God, I love this one! Really opened my eyes about American Chinese food. But every time I watch it, I end up on a kick for that stuff. (My last meal will be a burrito consisting of General Tso's, house special fried rice, egg rolls, dumplings, crab rangoon, and pork egg Foo Yung.)

LordKasual

Banned
I watched one on the children living in Syria that came out earlier this year

I cant for the life of me remember the name, and there are tons of ones with the same tagline im sure

has a perspective that I think most western countries should know

I'm picking two :D

A very sad piece on bullying and how young men in America are essentially getting away with rape scot-free.

Great film on the birth of the women's liberation movement. Interviews with many of the women who started the whole thing and fought hard for women's and LGBT rights.

Cmagus

*edit* I misread the topic and that the documentary had to be more important in scope.

Great film that looks at the actions on the ground of US foreign policy and the special units division known as JSOC.

I think the film will be eye opening for people who aren't aware of the more secretive operations that routinely occur overseas in countries ranging from Afghanistan, Yemen, Somali and others.

Pretty sure it's still available on Netflix.

And I guess it's just available on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN4Sn5u_pK0

This is a good movie I really enjoyed it. Really eye opening about stuff your don't hear about or see and how much this stuff goes on.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Waiting_for_Superman.jpg

Please don't watch this misleading inaccurate garbage. It's a propaganda piece for the Betsy Devos's of the world and their quest to turn education into a corporate business. The absurd push for both charter schools and standardized testing is gross. As is the ridiculous smear job they do on unions and teachers in general.

Xero

that documentary on hulu batman and bill about batmans other primary creator bill finger. Surprisingly emotional by the end and was just fantastic throughout.

gfxtwin

Because the Grateful Dead are the most important American rock n roll band of the 20th century and most Americans couldn't even name anyone in the band outside of Garcia.

I run a fan page on fb of the director of that film. I get a lot of personal messages from people who know him IRL. I got scoops on what his two most recent films would be years before they were announced, and I even got a personal message from the touring manager of the Rolling Stones once. In a PM from a voting/nominating member of a Academy of Television Arts and Sciences guy, he mentioned a strong possibility that there's a 7 hour cut of Long Strange Trip in the works. Thought a fan might wanna know.

didn't see it posted

The Wolfpack is incredible

Locked away in an apartment in the Lower East Side of Manhattan for fourteen years, the Angulo family's seven children—six brothers: Mukunda, twins Narayana and Govinda,Bhagavan, Krisna (Glenn), and Jagadesh (Eddie), and their sister Visnu—learned about the world through watching films. They also re-enact scenes from their favorite movies. They were homeschooled by their mother and confined to their sixteenth story four-bedroom apartment in the Seward Park Extension housing project

DiscoJer

The Bermuda Triangle
based on Charles Berlitz's book, because it shows how complete nonsense can be presented in a serious convincing manner and demonstrates that documentaries are really little more than propaganda for whatever the maker is pushing.

gfxtwin

Crumb:

Documents the life of a fascinating, boundary-pushing comic book artist and his dysfunctional (to put it lightly) family, including a eunuch brother who lives at his mom's house in his 50's and fills dozens of notebooks up with highly precise graphomanic scribblings. Also a very eye-opening exploration of the male Id.

Mollymauk

91tFwWPr%2BQL._SY445_.jpg

This one is a little bit harder to find but it's one of my personal favorite documentaries. It's basically a home video of Dick Proenekke shot in 1968, who builds an amazing log cabin in the Alaskan wilderness all by himself. He's an amazing carpenter and wood worker and he documented every step of building the cabin and comments on his surroundings and the wildlife. I thought it was so beautiful and relaxing.

The cabin is still there.

I love this film. They play it on PBS here in Seattle during pledge drives. There's a sequel!

Tarydax

Banned
I_Am_Not_Your_Negro.png

I Am Not Your Negro is based on some of James Baldwin's unfinished works. It looks at the history of racism in America and the Civil Rights Movement through his eyes. Baldwin's a really fascinating guy.

Plus the whole thing is narrated by Samuel L. Jackson.

Great thread. A lot of awesome recommendations already, most of which I've already seen.
I really enjoy crime documentaries the most so two of my picks would be Making a Murderer:

Was glued from start to finish seeing how the case is built and how evidence was handled.

And a second recommendation is Shadow of Truth:

The first episode seemed like it was an open and shut case. Next couple you have all these theories and the final episode threw me for a loop!

Both on Netflix so check them out.

HyperNormalisation

HyperNormalisation is a 2016 BBC documentary by British filmmaker Adam Curtis. In the film, Curtis argues that since the 1970s, governments, financiers, and technological utopians have given up on the complex "real world" and built a simple "fake world" that is run by corporations and kept stable by politicians.

We live in a world where the powerful deceive us. We know they lie, they know we know they lie, they don't care. We say we care, but we do nothing. And nothing ever changes. It's normal. Welcome to the post-truth world.

Basically it does a excellent job explaining Trump coming into power, Putin, and world politics since the seventies. It's mind blowing really.

Full youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fny99f8amM

Weckum

Night_and_Fog.jpg

Night and fog (Nuit et brouillard original French title):

The first part of Night and Fog shows remnants of Auschwitz while the narrator Michel Bouquet describes the rise of Nazi ideology. The film continues with comparisons of the life of the Schutzstaffel to the starving prisoners in the camps. Bouquet then addresses the sadism inflicted upon the doomed inmates, including torture, scientific and medical "experiments", executions, and rape. The next section is shown completely in black-and-white, and depicts images of gas chambers and piles of bodies. The final topic of the film depicts the liberation of the country, the discovery of the horror of the camps, and the questioning of who was responsible for them.

It's the documentary that impacted me the most.

It's only half an hour long or so, but it's a gutpunch. It's the perfect reminder of what humans are capable of doing to each other.

Not one mention of Jesus Camp yet?

It's an excruciating look into a not uncommon way fundamentalist christians socialize their kids, and shows the kind of upbringing that a lot of fundamentalist people come from.

Hell House is also another good showing of the way they think.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Subscribed. I love docs.

My recommendation is

13th
It's about the inequality of the justice system in the US.

The Ascent of Man (1973)
250px-The_Ascent_of_Man_-_dvd_cover.jpg

If you can forgive a lot of outdated ideas and old-fashioned Eurocentrism, this is a great series that chronicles the development of science throughout history. Dr. Bronowski is very much a man of his time, but his eloquence and insights kept me engaged and amazed by the marvels of the human mind.

There is a cool sequence in episode 1 where Pink Floyd plays on a psychedelic sequence to demonstrate human ingenuity when it comes to hunting.

Sure, there are some moments when he condescends on civilizations that didn't reach the levels of scientific advancements of "the old world', but at least it never reaches the arrogance of the other BBC series "Civilization."

Lkr

Century of the Self: About how the ruling class used the work of Edward Bernays to psychologically control the masses and society. Its pretty eye opening as to how programmable we humans are and is a must watch IMO. I promote it on my FB feed but people would rather post about dumb shit.
This is one of the few works by Curtis I haven’t seen. Watched the first hour of it last night and it’s interesting so far

hbkdx12

Watched the imposter based off the recommendations here and i have no idea what to take away from it and i don't mean that in a complimentary "holy hell my mind was blown kind of way" i legitimately don't know what they were going for

Spoilers:
Were we suppose to be conflicted about the fact that what federic did was fucked up but that the barclays was fucked up too because they may have possibly killed their son? They didn't seem to present a lot of evidence or flesh out that angle enough to seriously suggest that they killed Nicholas where i felt like the point was to walk away feeling like federic is a messed up individual and for us to secretly learn that the barclays are messed up as well.

Dinosaur 13.

I've had it in my Netflix queue for a long time, always meaning to watch it as a dinosaur nut.

One morning I put it on since I was up early and had my youngest son sitting on my lap who shares my dino love.

What drew me in beyond the subject matter was the progression of the doc. The way in which the situation and layers are peeled back and revealed to the viewer made it seem really really engaging and unique. I can't explain it as I haven't seen a whole lot of documentaries, but that aspect stood out to me and made it something I was recommending to anyone, not just fellow dinosaur lovers.

I'm going to recommend The Oxycontin Express. This was an episode of Vanguard which aired in 2009. It was one of the first media properties to address the prescription opioid epidemic which, over the next several years, evolved into the heroin crisis that we are currently facing.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Eyes on the Prize.

A TV documentary about Civil Rights, racism.

It's long, but worth the watch.

Cerium

Deliver Us From Evil

A documentary about the sexual abuses and cover ups in the Catholic Church. It's absolutely heartbreaking and infuriating at the same time. After watching this documentary you will believe in monsters.

These people still walk among us, many of them unpunished, many of them still in the clergy.

Triteon

paris-is-burning-poster.jpg

A look into the NY drag scene in the late 80's, released in 1990.

Its a movie that shows how people pushed to the margins create their own culture and their own families. There is darkness and sadness but a lot of joy.

the-hunting-ground-dvd-cover.jpg

large_p0cfm8t0dIlbBu0bdUePVRKUIDO.jpg

Kind of surprised that neither were posted before. Both documentaries are about rape, one about rape in the military and another about rape in Universities.
It's a powerful and unsettling look at how rape charges are dismissed by powerful institutions.
I highly recommend watching both but expected to feel a bit sick after watching them.

Zenner

Lord of the Dance Machine

Follow blue-collar teen Kyle Morris from Leicester, England as he struggles to attain his life-goal of competing in the DDR World Championship in Las Vegas, USA.

Can't find the plain trailer on YouTube. Saw it on Netflix streaming, a few years back. It's more compelling than it sounds. Really. :)

sans_pants

avec_pénis
I second all the Adam Curtis stuff and would like to add The Fog of War.

It's an interview with Vietnam Era Secretary of State Robert McNamara. It gives an illuminating glimpse at a guy that's pretty extraordinary and involved in a lot of very important periods of recent American history, and a guy that's pretty much hated by everyone

He's obviously trying to shift blame and explain away his decisions and why he did the things he did, but his insights on what went wrong are pretty important going forward with the us military machine

Tomita

Don't think I saw anyone mention This Film Is Not Yet Rated. It's not the greatest documentary ever compared to some of the other picks here. What itis though is a good look at how the MPAA functions and what impact the organization has a on film. Especially how the ratings system is completely broken and harms film as an art.

I want to add on to this. It doesn't just go over how the MPAA hampers "art." It also goes into the double standards of nude women and women's reactions in sex scenes verses nude men and their reactions. Also the double standards LGBT depictions go through, and the double standards of violence and sexuality.

Top Bottom