• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC and PS4 gamer: Any reason to pick up an XB1?

mdsfx

I've been playing on PC (W10, 3570k, 970, 16GB RAM) and PS4, but lately my friends have been urging/nagging me to grab an Xbox One specifically for Gears 4. My question is, since I already own a PS4 for multi-platform titles and since MS has started releasing Xbox games on PC, is there any reason for someone in my position to even consider getting an Xbox One?

I've owned one in the past and have already played Sunset Overdrive (which was great!), but with Forza, Killer Instinct, Quantum Break all on PC, I have a hard time finding reason to grab an Xbox One (Rare Replay? Halo 5?).

What are the chances that Halo 5 or Gears 4 might make it to PC? Are there any other titles that are exclusive to Xbox One that are NOT on PC?

Elandyll

Banned
If you have a decent PC, maybe wait and see if Gears is announced on PC at E3?

Personally, I am PC/ PS4, and I haven't seen a reason to own one yet (this being said, I don't have much interest in Halo/ Gears/ Forza to start with).

Raylan

Banned
If you have a Gaming PC and a PS4.... no, you don't need a Xbox console.
Gear 4 will come to PC. Just wait for more announcements. So you are set already.

I don't even play on PC and I'm having a hard time justifying my XB1 purchase, honestly. There's so little to get excited for as a multiplatform gamer, but there are at least a handful of console exclusives. If I were a PC gamer, I couldn't see a single reason to own one.

I still want to play Sunset Overdrive, Halo MCC, Halo 5 so bad. Like with Bayonetta 2 on Wii U its like the games is taken hostage. In 2016 it doesnt make sense to lock entertainment to a single ecosystem. :(

Panda Rin

Forge is coming to PC in the fall. Gears of War 4 is definitely a possibility.

I only own a PS4 and PC..I see no reason to get a XBONE...only games I want to try out are Sunset Overdrive and MCC.

Halo 5? I wouldn't count on it.
Gears 4? Seems like there's an extremely likely chance of that happening.

As far as other exclusives that aren't on PC, there's Sunset Overdrive (which you've already played) and Forza Horizon 2. I think that's mostly it. I doubt either will ever make it to PC, but Horizon 3 is just around the bend (hah), so you can wait for that instead.

I say wait until after E3 before making a decision either way. We should know by then what MS games are making it to PC.

Odds are you can probably do without an Xbox since you have a PC.

Seeing as Microsoft is taking steps to unify Xbox and Windows, I don't think there's any reason to own an Xbox if you have a capable PC.

killroy87

Nope, less so than ever. MS doubling down on PC means that Xbone exclusives are going to become incredibly few and far between.

Having a hard time justifying keeping mine TBH. Think the last game I played on the thing was Gears of War like 4 or 5 months ago.

lyrick

I have been debating one since launch but every time I actually think about it, I can barely remember the last time I powered on my PS4.

Based on how absolutely worthless the PS4 has been for me, my decision to hold off on purchasing a Xbox One has been completely validated.

Leflus

I'm having a hard time justifying picking up more consoles than my Xbox One, so I can see why you feel that way. I guess I would feel the same way if I was in a similar position.

koji kabuto

My reason to get XBOX one although I have PS4 and PC is to be able to play online with my friends who only owned an XBOX.

Not really. Microsoft seems to be planning PC releases for a lot of their major Xbox titles.

As PC/PS4 gamer, NX is the best second console, no contest.

I mean, it's a little early to say that, but if the NX gets good exclusives like the Wii U did then I can easily see this being the case.

Tbh at the moment the only thing thats keeping me interested in Xbox is scalebound but even then I feel like that might get a PC port later down the line.

Daingurse

Owning a gaming PC, there's just too much overlap in the XB1's library for it to be worth it for me. Being able to play Quantum Break on PC in any capacity pretty much got rid of my killer app for the console. I'd wait to see what Scorpio is about, unless you really want to play Halo or something.

OrangeOak

Sunset Overdrive which is one of the best games that I played this gen and Forza Horizon 2 are both great but if you already played them then I don't think that there is too much reason to buy Xbox One right now.
I keep mine just because I prefer to play multiplayer games on console and also have more friends on Xbox Live from x360 era.
If I was on your place I would wait and see if Scorpio is real and if it will bring something interesting and if some new exclusives will show up that will be only available on console. Right now it's not worth it.

Wagram

Not really to be honest. Microsoft seems dedicated on pushing software on PC. Halo 5 will be on it fully eventually and Gears 4 will be on it without a doubt.

Corpekata

Banned
I'd say the only reason is if you have a lot interest in the exclusives launched in 2015 and prior, as their getting a port seems iffy. Most of their future stuff seems to be leaning toward launching on both PC and Xbox, so I wouldn't get one for future titles.

brawly

I was in that exact boat. I got an Xbox One and I've been having a blast with my friends since late last year. I even ended up selling my PC.
So now the PS4 is my singleplayer place (no PS+) and the Xbox One is my multiplayer place.

Playing multiplayer at 144hz and all that jazz is nice, but for me it can't compare to playing with those special friends. It just makes me play for longer, get less frustrated and have a better time in general.

ITT: people don't read the OP or haven't experienced the magic of playing with friends.

wapplew

Butwhy.gif

No reason at all thanks to UWP. The new Xbox will be considered as MS's version of "Steam Machine".

True.
With all that unification and branding, owning a Windows 10 PC equal to owning a Xbox, soon. Boom! 250m Xbox install base!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That's the reason i don't have one OP. Not really interested in the small amount of XB1 exclusive franchises, and PS4 plays basically everything western/eastern third party anyway, including first party games more to my taste at this point.

I was interested in Halo/Gears at one point, but they are not longer helmed by the studios that i thought made them great..and their last iterations weren't so good to begin with.

Cday

Banned
Rare Replay is cool. Uh....uuuuuuuh. If you want another big black box just sitting around taking up space with all your other big black boxes then go for it.

Wait and see what the apparent revision is going to be before getting yet another multiplatform machine.

If the Windows 10 app essentially gives everyone an Xbox who has a PC then probably not. I'm contemplating just buying a Neo and building a PC myself.

Bessy67

I love my Xbox One but if you have a decent PC then there's really no reason to get one. I doubt Halo 5 will ever fully come to PC, but I'd wager that every MS published game from now on will be Xbox and PC.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
If people are willing to forgo a few exclusives, one could make a solid argument that a beefy gaming PC is the only thing necessary, especially as Japan releases more and more ports.

So if you already own a PS4, it's even more difficult to justify owning yet another box that is severely overlapping with the other two.

If you were trying to draw a Venn diagram of games, a PC and a Wii U would probably still be the most efficient way to go simply because Nintendo holds onto its exclusives with an iron grip.

That said, I wouldn't fault a very hardcore gamer for wanting to own everything. Or for someone with a good amount of disposable income because Xbones are kinda cheap in that situation....so may as well own all of them!

I was in that exact boat. I got an Xbox One and I've been having a blast with my friends since late last year. I even ended up selling my PC.
So now the PS4 is my singleplayer place (no PS+) and the Xbox One is my multiplayer place.

Playing multiplayer at 144hz and all that jazz is nice, but for me it can't compare to playing with those special friends. It just makes me play for longer, get less frustrated and have a better time in general.

ITT: people don't read the OP or haven't experienced the magic of playing with friends.

Or have friends on other systems.

If games like Gears 4 or FH3 are cross-platform play, he can play with and talk to them on PC.

Part of Halo 5 MP was announced to PC already.

Are you talking about the custom games? Doesn't mean the rest will make it.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

Zedox

If you have a decent PC, maybe wait and see if Gears is announced on PC at E3?

Personally, I am PC/ PS4, and I haven't seen a reason to own one yet (this being said, I don't have much interest in Halo/ Gears/ Forza to start with).

Basically this.

I would wait for E3 to see what games from MS are coming to PC and play those games with your friends. If you were to get an XBO, I would wait to see how the slim is and you'll see the crazy deals you can get on a XBO. So basically, no, just get the MS games through Windows Store.

Top Bottom