• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

Tizoc

If you can play mm&b play the snes version if at all possible. The smaller screen of the gba version makes the game harder then it should be.

That would require me to own an SNES, and from what I've heard that yes the SNES ver. is the goto version
If only it can be unlocked in the upcoming Legacy Vol. 2 :/

This got me to wondering though: Do Nintendo have anything against using SNES games on non-Nintendo systems?

EDIT: Bah decided to start Rockman and Forte. What's the optimum boss path to go though? I always start with Cold Man, but now I remembered that Burnerman is weak to his weapon and that boss is so freakin' unpredictable @_@

Sciz

R&F SFC is the way to go, yes.

EDIT: Bah decided to start Rockman and Forte. What's the optimum boss path to go though? I always start with Cold Man, but now I remembered that Burnerman is weak to his weapon and that boss is so freakin' unpredictable @_@
Weakness order:
Cold > Burner > Pirate > Ground > Tengu > Magic > Astro > Dynamo

Tizoc

How do I complete this totem section in Groundman stage again...
EDIT: Oooooh there's a secret path.

OK seriously how did Capcom pull it off? Rockman 8 was a PSOne game and this game has various re-used assets and yet the game ran silky smooth (for the most part) on the SNES. IMHO it's among the best looking SNES games on the system.

Tizoc

I think Bass speaks for all those kids who had to suffer R&F's difficulty on the SupeFami in this manga panel
EsPzQpq.jpg

Yees these final bosses kept me on my toes.
The equippable upgrades reminded me that it would've been better if they were 2 power-ups in 1, like kind of an armor/chip upgrade kind of thing (eg Penetration+Super shots for Bass).

Overall I like it, despite its difficulty.

Sciz

OK seriously how did Capcom pull it off? Rockman 8 was a PSOne game and this game has various re-used assets and yet the game ran silky smooth (for the most part) on the SNES. IMHO it's among the best looking SNES games on the system.

IIRC they cut down the number of animation frames, but don't quote me on that.

Yees these final bosses kept me on my toes.

I love the game, but the fortress bosses are kind of awful.

Overall I like it, despite its difficulty.

Now go finish the CD hunt.

Tizoc

The cut animations is an odd thing to say as the game has lots of smooth clean animations here and there. I mean just LOOK at Magicman taking off his cape, that's a lot of animation frames and they still managed to chuck in a lot of stuff.
Heck Coldman seems to have some animations taken out when he teleports in during his boss fight for one thing.

Tizoc

Cold Man only showed up in this game, though; what would you have to compare against to say animations got "taken out"?

I wrote that at around 2 AM so I'll be more precise here.
During the Coldman fight, the floor will glow to indicate that a trap is there.
He uses this same animation in his intro when he appears, however it is just the glow then he just shows up. I think Capcom wanted to have him materialize somehow, like ice forming up then his full body shows up.
This is what I meant by that.

Tizoc

Megaman legacy Collection Vol. 2 releases in under a week.
If you want a PC copy, consider getting it from Gamesplanet as they have it for sub $15

I plan on replaying Rockman 7 via that compilation release, same wtih 8.
This being X4's anniversary I'll be replaying it again once I get back home, maybe I'll go for a double replay of completing it with X and Zero XP

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This is the one with desgin documents etc right?
Like how the x hunters were to include a 4th member and such?

I haven't spent enough time with it yet to answer this, but after some googling, it looks like it's a revised/updated version of the R20 book released in Japan. So if it was in that book (which it looks like it was), it's very like in this book. It's over 400 pages of delicious design info, pictures, unreleased robot masters, concept art, etc. My HPB has some really neat shit at it apparently.

1upsuper

So I feel like I want to give Battle Network another shot and I'd like to figure out which to play. I tried BN when it was still new and was salty that it wasn't Classic/X gameplay. Then I tried it a few years later and was totally turned off by the grade school setting and tone. But with how much praise this series gets, even by Mega Man fans, I feel like I should give it a third shot. I have 3 Blue, two versions of 4, and the DS compilation port of 5, IIRC. But I guess I have access to them all via the Wii U VC. I've heard I should go with 3 since good gameplay is my priority. Does that sound about right?

Also yeah, the MM25 art book is pretty much the best one I own. It's an impressive work.

SkyOdin

So I feel like I want to give Battle Network another shot and I'd like to figure out which to play. I tried BN when it was still new and was salty that it wasn't Classic/X gameplay. Then I tried it a few years later and was totally turned off by the grade school setting and tone. But with how much praise this series gets, even by Mega Man fans, I feel like I should give it a third shot. I have 3 Blue, two versions of 4, and the DS compilation port of 5, IIRC. But I guess I have access to them all via the Wii U VC. I've heard I should go with 3 since good gameplay is my priority. Does that sound about right?

Also yeah, the MM25 art book is pretty much the best one I own. It's an impressive work.
If you want to get a more complete experience, I would try playing 2 first. It is more polished than 1, but still does a good job of introducing the world and characters.

3 is the all around best in the series, particularly when it comes to story. It is tied with 6 for gameplay, but it comes with a mountain of post-game content. Definitly play it. I suggest 2 first because 3 is a game that heavily references the previous games as it ties of story arcs.

4 is a bad game. It did mortal damage to the entire Mega Man franchise and may be responsible for the franchise's protracted decline.

5 is less bad. Has a lot of rough edges, but at least has some unique ideas.

1upsuper

If you want to get a more complete experience, I would try playing 2 first. It is more polished than 1, but still does a good job of introducing the world and characters.

3 is the all around best in the series, particularly when it comes to story. It is tied with 6 for gameplay, but it comes with a mountain of post-game content. Definitly play it. I suggest 2 first because 3 is a game that heavily references the previous games as it ties of story arcs.

4 is a bad game. It did mortal damage to the entire Mega Man franchise and may be responsible for the franchise's protracted decline.

5 is less bad. Has a lot of rough edges, but at least has some unique ideas.

Thank you! I'll prioritize 2, 3, and then 6. But now you have me curious -- what on earth did 4 do?

SkyOdin

Thank you! I'll prioritize 2, 3, and then 6. But now you have me curious -- what on earth did 4 do?
For starters, you have to play through the game three times to get all of the transformations advertised on the box, and only then can you access the proper postgame. The plot is nothing but a series of tournaments consisting of episodic stories that are semi-random in order. The actual main plot only starts in full just before you hop into the final dungeon. Also, they change the non-battle artstyle to one that is more zoomed out and lacking in detail/personality.

All around, it is a shadow of Battle Network 3's greatness. About the only notable thing about 4 is that Hideo Kojima cameos in it.

Sciz

For starters, you have to play through the game three times to get all of the transformations advertised on the box, and only then can you access the proper postgame. The plot is nothing but a series of tournaments consisting of episodic stories that are semi-random in order.

To elaborate on this point a bit, each run through the game consists of three of the six possible episodes. You would think that new game plus would let you play the other three, but no, it'll pick two new ones and then one of the ones you've already been through. Your third playthrough gives you the sixth one and two repeats, so if you want to actually see the entire game you purchased, over a third of the playtime is going to be straight up recycled content.

The fundamentals of the game are still alright, but as a whole it's a serious disappointment as a followup to 2 and 3.

SkyOdin

Wow, that's crazy. Is there a reason they couldn't just make a single playthrough include all six scenarios?
Not really, since Battle Network 5 does let you get all six DoubleSouls in a single playthrough. Battle Network 4 is just plain badly paced and structured.

Teknoman

Think I should keep on to 7 with my MM console series play through? I'm about to beat 6, but I've been itching to revisit X. I've played all of them before, it's just been awhile.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
So y'all know how we have this in Legacy Collection 2?

Neat concept art, right? Weird how it's from nothing we know of. Maybe a cancelled Mega Man game pitch that accidentally got bundled up?

Well the (relatively) recently announced Roll Nendoroid has a new design! Which is weird in and off itself since they're normally based on exciting designs directly, but hey first time for everything!

But the art:
Why isn't it Nendoroid shaped if it was made for that? Doesn't it seem kinda similar to that other concept art in style? The eyes, the mouths those gosh darned dot noses.

🤔

Top Bottom