• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears Of War: Judgment (People Can Fly + Epic) Revealed

Update:

Spider_Jerusalem said:
Moar from the Epic forums.

Cog classes:

Baird-engineer=Weapons: gnasher and blowtorch,Special abilities: sentry turret, tip: blowtorch repairs damaged fortifications
Cole-soldier= lancer and boomshot, deploy ammo crates, toss amo to engineer to give him infinite blowtorch ammo
Sofia-medic= lancer and snub pistol, stim gas gernade, toss gernade at downed allies to revive them
Garron-scout= longshot and snub, beacon gernade, climb perches for better sniping leverage

Characters bio:

Damon Baird:
Before this sarcastic, genius mechanic went on to help Marcus Fenix save the world, Baird worked his way through the Gears ranks. He’s always quick to joke, but Judgment suggests there’s more to his character than being a comedian.

Augustus Cole:
A former Thrash Ball player turned soldier the "Cole Train" became famous in Sera for his on-feild performance and boisterous demeanour. Cole met Baird soon after enlisting, and the two quickly became best friends.

Garron Paduk:
A miltia refuge from the Union of Independent Republics. Garron comes from the other side of The Pendulum Wars. He brings a new perspective and brush personality to Kilo. Garron is the devil on Baird's shoulder that say's "Let's blow stuff up."

Sophia Hendricks:
A cadet from the onyx guard academy, she is more in line with colonel loomis by the book approach to combat. E-day halted her path to graduation from the academy, but she is still worth the soldier. She is the opposite of Garron, ready to suggest informing superior officers of every deviation from protocol.

Locusts in OverRun mode:

Wretch
Role: Leap over hazards, clim perches.
Special Ability: Stunning scream.
Tip: Travel in packs and stagger screams for maximum stunnig power.

Ticker
Role: Eat fortifications, eat grenades, detonate.
Special Ability: Speed boost.
Tip: Can be kicked over barriers by grenadiers.

Kantus
Role: Hammerburst rifle, heal friendly units, ride bloodmounts.
Special Ability: Chain heal.
Tip: Support valuable units like Corpser and Mauler with healing.

Grenadier
Role: Lancer rifle, ride Bloodmounts.
Special Ability: Frag Grenade.
Tip: Throw grenade at COG turret to cause deadly explosion near enemies.

Bloodmount
Role: Melee enemies/fortifications, be ridden by Grenadier and Kantus.
Special Ability: Halve the cooldown time on rider's special ability (passive)
Tip: Carry a mounted Kantus behind cover while his heal recharges.

Mauler
Role: Devastate fortifications and COG soldiers with flail and shield.
Special Ability: Spinning spike shield.
Tip: Aim the reticle at enemies while shield spins to deflect bullets back at COGs.

Serapede
Role: Eat through barriers, destory COGs, ranged support.
Special Ability: Spit poison.
Tip: Have two Serapedes overlap to protect one another's vulnerable rears.

Corpser
Role: Demolish fortifications and COGs with heavy melee.
Special Ability: Burrow and move underground.
Tip: Armored legs reduce damage from the front.

The setting of GOWJ is Halvo Bay, home to the Onyx Guard Academy. Apparently its like now a day San Diego or San Francisco of World War 2. The city has a strong military background feel apparently.

Original:

i've checked some scans online

• Gears of War: Judgment
  • People can fly production
  • Baird is in chain (not marcus)
  • Spin off
  • KiloSquad Based
  • Smart Spawn System

Edit:

i've seen just a couple of pages leaked (and promptly removed by Microsoft ) so i can't be sure but screens suggested third person

as story setting..

definitely after pendulum wars

Some more info:
  • Prequel focuses on Baird in his earlier years, who apparently has been accused of military crimes.
  • New to the franchise is class-based gameplay in multiplayer (new gametype).

Sean said:
Tiny bit more (Google translation from Italian):

On the network are leaked the first scan of Game Informer article on new GOW which will take the name of Gears of War: Judgment and will lead the team Kilo composed by Damon Baird, Augustus Cole, Garron Paduk and a red-haired girl named Sophia Hendricks. It will be therefore to all intents of a spin-off, but from the few scan leaked and their poor quality you cannot include other specific details if not words that might give rise to speculation.

It speaks of "more freedom" in the narrative of events in the countryside, the possibility to play the song in co-op, a better management of the IA and a "Smart Spawn System" (also called "S3") that would increase the longevity of the game allowing you to create different situations whenever you will have to replay an act or a specific chapter.

Hmmmm.

Apparently there is a new mode called "Overrun" which is Horde and Beast combined.

Lemme guess. One team are COG with fortifications and other team are Locust beasts? If so, holy shit!!!
Epic forum user says it takes place 15 years before Gears 1.

The missions are set a short time after E day, when the Locust first emerged from underground.

Via Wario64:

5Yk2A.jpg

Update: The new installment in Epic's million-dollar franchise is Gears of War: Judgment. The July cover of Game Informer shows series mainstay Damon Baird shackled as the Locust hordes rage around him. Augustus "Cole Train" Cole, soldier and world-famous Thrashball player, dons our second cover image in the same precarious situation.

dsIDg.jpg

vPahX.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
5Yk2A.jpg

Update: The new installment in Epic's million-dollar franchise is Gears of War: Judgment. The July cover of Game Informer shows series mainstay Damon Baird shackled as the Locust hordes rage around him. Augustus "Cole Train" Cole, soldier and world-famous Thrashball player, dons our second cover image in the same precarious situation.

dsIDg.jpg

vPahX.jpg

Sean

Banned
Tiny bit more (Google translation from Italian):

On the network are leaked the first scan of Game Informer article on new GOW which will take the name of Gears of War: Judgment and will lead the team Kilo composed by Damon Baird, Augustus Cole, Garron Paduk and a red-haired girl named Sophia Hendricks. It will be therefore to all intents of a spin-off, but from the few scan leaked and their poor quality you cannot include other specific details if not words that might give rise to speculation.

It speaks of "more freedom" in the narrative of events in the countryside, the possibility to play the song in co-op, a better management of the IA and a "Smart Spawn System" (also called "S3") that would increase the longevity of the game allowing you to create different situations whenever you will have to replay an act or a specific chapter.

Hmm, when do we think this is coming out?

I wouldn't be shocked if they said it was out this year (MS have nothing for September right?) but I'm expecting March-May 2013. Don't think they will release it end of next year because (hopefully) 720 is coming out.

PCF released Bulletstorm in February last year? Pre-production could have started on this then/before that...

Isocr4cy

Hmm... I've been reading the latest Gears book, "The Slab" over the past two days and I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed that the game won't feature Marcus as the main character. The Gears books explore Marcus's character quite thoroughly, and we never really saw much of it shine through in the games. It's basically the same thing that happened to Halo pre-343i, but now 343 is making an attempt to utilize non-game fiction in the new Halo trilogy and I had hoped that this Gears game would do the same. Oh well, I'm sure the gameplay will be awesome as usual, I just wish that we get to see a bit more of Marcus's back-story explained in-game at some point (Obviously not this game any more).

Darklord

Banned
I really don't want another Gears this generation. Gear 3 was great but it ended that series. It's done. Next generation maybe release another one but jumping instantly into a spin-off? I mean, what's the point of a trilogy now? They might as well start making seasons like a TV show.

Vire

Thread title should probably be changed since the name and cover have been outed early.

RedStep

Interestingly, the silhouette on the first image doesn't match either of the other two... it looks like Marcus' shoulder pads and do-rag...

What could it mean?

-PXG-

Anyway...

OH SHIT SON!!!

Cliff. I know you're reading this thread. You son of a bitch! You and Mike hinted about this at the PAX panel. You mentioned something about how Epic was going to explore Baird's character and back story much further.

I thought he was refering to a future book or some kind of DLC. But full fucking game? Consider me at maximum hype. Cole and Baird are a great duo. Much more interesting (and funnier too) than Marcus and Dom.

I can't wait.

TheOddOne

Some more info:
  • Prequel focuses on Baird in his earlier years, who apparently has been accused of military crimes.

Vire

Some more info:
  • prequel focuses on Baird in his earlier years, who apparently has been accused of military crimes.

Just Baird? Fuck man... my least favorite character in the series gets his own damn game?

-PXG-

Some more info:
  • prequel focuses on Baird in his earlier years, who apparently has been accused of military crimes.
    [*]New to the franchise is class-based gameplay in multiplayer (new gametype).

This could really cool.

I wouldn't mind classes/loadouts in Gears. As long as there was still a Classic mode, I think it would work out.

Gears 3 had a rudimentary load out system. Giving characters different abilities would be cool, again, as long as there was still a mode where everyone played exactly the same.

Hell, I remember back in the day, there were rumors that Epic implemented hidden stats for each character in Gears 1. I almost believed it. For instance, Cole having stronger melee attacks, or RAAM having more armor (but having a slower movement), ect.

Some more info:

Could be good, and as long as the "classic" gametypes are around to fall back on, don't have much of a problem with it. They've already given us some simple choices with the Hammerburst/Lancer/Retro having different strengths/weaknesses but are pretty balanced in the overall metagame, could be a fun evolution.

Top Bottom