• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Age Inquisition Info (2 new characters, 4 main voice actors, more)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Thanks. Glad they're going with a big party this time, even compared to Origins there seems to be a lot of companions. They're one of the things that I like the most in Dragon Age games, even in the disappointing II.

It's actually the same as the others more or less. DAO technically had 10, DA2 had 9, though only 7 available most of the game, and now DAI will have 9, plus a likely DLC Pre-order/CE companion since they've done that every game now, unless they're including him in the account of 9, but most don't think they are.

I just hope that they either flesh out the consequences thoroughly or just completely ignore them. I don't want some half-assed throwaway line about the end result of my Warden giving Morrigan an
Old God Baby
and going with her
through the Eluvian

David Gaider specifically addressed this concern saying they'll either address those things and include the Warden and Hawke in a serious and meaningful way or they won't do it at all. No good would come from some half assed cameo or convenient hand waving of those choices so they won't do them unless they can do them right. Though some of it will have to be addressed so we can expect some of it to come up, I think the disappearance of the Warden and Hawke being the big one, everything else is contingent on whether they can do in a satisfying and quality way. But I assume since Morrigan is prominent in the game we'll get some resolution to the OGB and Witch Hunt stuff.

Just looked up a picture of the Ogre, holy shit that thing looks terrifying. Man I wish E3 (or maybe PAX?) would get here so they would start showing more. I really wanna hear the protag voices and see the CharGen.

Also, a new book was recently announced for August? There's awesome in my pants.

Edit: I always type orge

2 voice actors per gender, a homebase system and the environment affecting player movement all sounds good. Remaining cautiously optimistic.

David Gaider specifically addressed this concern saying they'll either address those things and include the Warden and Hawke in a serious and meaningful way or they won't do it at all. No good would come from some half assed cameo or convenient hand waving of those choices so they won't do them unless they can do them right. Though some of it will have to be addressed so we can expect some of it to come up, I think the disappearance of the Warden and Hawke being the big one, everything else is contingent on whether they can do in a satisfying and quality way. But I assume since Morrigan is prominent in the game we'll get some resolution to the OGB and Witch Hunt stuff.

That is reassuring. Gaider is one of the best writers in the industry, I have full faith in him when it comes to this.

This game has restored my bioware hype. DA:O was one of my favorite RPGs and I can't wait for this one. I'll need to relearn some lore for sure. And remember my choices.

Uthred

"the Iron Bull is afraid of nothing, except for his past" The series can only get better with quality 80's action movie writing like that

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"the Iron Bull is afraid of nothing, except for his past" The series can only get better with quality 80's action movie writing like that

That was pretty much Sten's deal in the first game as well ..

hemtae

No mod support. I'm not sure why I'm disappointed given that the writing was on the wall and the general state of Origins modding scene but I am.

Patryn

I'm definitely interested to see how this turns out. I didn't really enjoy the past two Dragon Ages but this one seems to have a lot of potential to me. Also now that the Witcher 3 isn't coming out this year I'll need another open world rpg to give me my fix.

You're the second person to say this, and comments like this confuse the hell out of me.

There have only been two Dragon Ages, and you say you didn't really enjoy either of them. I'm honestly curious: What makes you think the series will suddenly change into something that you will like?

Some Nobody

You're the second person to say this, and comments like this confuse the hell out of me.

There have only been two Dragon Ages, and you say you didn't really enjoy either of them. I'm honestly curious: What makes you think the series will suddenly change into something that you will like?

I like the changes in art direction I saw in the game play, plus the ability to "create" an army by building different Keeps that all do different things (commerce, spying, war) speaks to the Suikoden fan in me.

I'm not saying I'll love the game but I am excited about this one more so than the others.

Quentyn

More details on Vivienne.

Vivienne_004.jpg

Referred to as Madame de Fer, “the Lady of Iron”, Vivienne lives up to her title. A leader among the mages and official enchanter to the Imperial court, she is renowned as a fearsome woman who achieved her position through guile and deft political maneuvering. Vivienne allows nothing to stand in the way of what she desires—not those who claim she is a social climber, not those who seek to restrict her power, not even her fellow mages who would conscript her into a rebellion with which she disagrees. Vivienne fights to restore order in a world gone mad…so long as that leaves her among those left standing, once all is said and done.

http://blog.bioware.com/2014/03/24/introduction-to-vivienne/

I wonder if they could successfully do combat banter without it getting too repetitive.

This is something that continues to baffle me about party based RPGs. In this day and age, why does each party member only have like five or so stock phrases that they keep coming out with?

I'm saying this from a position of complete ignorance on how VO recording actually works, but I can't fathom why when you have a voice actor in a studio, you couldn't just get them to spend ten minutes saying different, interesting, variations of 'I stand ready', 'Attacking!' etc.

Ridesh

Banned
So the Gamestar preview comes with a video and some new footage it seems?

I'll quote a user from the BF:

leldra BioWare Forums said:
I've just watched the GameStar preview video (I'm a subscriber and get it two days early). Few new scenes, but the quality of the ones we know is just jaw-dropping! The YT version doesn't even remotely do it justice! I wonder what kind of PC I must get to play DAI on those settings.

There's also an extended preview article I haven't all read yet. The GameStar people seem most impressed by the tactical combat system. For some reason, they weren't allowed to show it in the video, but they wax enthusiastic about it, and that doesn't happen too often with these guys. One comment: "these scenes may look as if they're from an action game, but what we've been able to play (and can't show) plays nothing like this". Needless to say, this sounds very good to me.

The article is subtitled "Bioware gets their act together", LOL! This refers to DA2's flaws which are said to be consequently eradicated.

I'll post more details if I come across things not already said.

leldra BioWare Forums said:
There are two new fighting scenss I didn't know before. Nothing all that interesting except, yet again, for the visual quality, and one is a scene from a dragon fight which looks good but doesn't say anything about how you actually fight a dragon.

About the preview article, here a few tidbits:

There are new details about the tactical camera we know from the PAX video: good: it has a long reach and you can view the battlefield from any angle. It shows the details of an enemy (class, health etc) if you place the reticle over them. Ok but still not optimal: it still isn't possible to zoom out as far as the reviewer wanted, but the Bioware people said they were working on it.

It is said the combat scenes are designed in a way that you shouldn't ever approach a fight casually, since while companions will get up after the fight even if they're been "killed", they'll only regain a part of their original health and health potions are said to be scarce enough that this is a concern. The reviewer expressed some concern about the game's final balancing (which hasn't happened yet) considering that you'll also be able to play more action-oriented if you want, but since there will be several difficulty levels it's possible that it will work out perfectly.

Nothing new about character generation that hasn't been said in the OP. About the Fade, no transformation puzzles and suchlike, which is disappointing since I loved those parts.

They criticize the companions revealed so far as somewhat bland - while certainly interesting, nobody who really captures the imagination. They ask "Will there be anyone with the presence of Morrigan, Alistair or Shale? Time will tell".

The parts about upgrading our home base have already been mentioned.

Man even though both DA2 and ME3 were disappointing in various ways I can't help but get hyped about this game. I am being overly optimistic to think that A) it will actually be good and B) it won't have horribly scummy DLC ala From Ashes?

Patryn

This is something that continues to baffle me about party based RPGs. In this day and age, why does each party member only have like five or so stock phrases that they keep coming out with?

I'm saying this from a position of complete ignorance on how VO recording actually works, but I can't fathom why when you have a voice actor in a studio, you couldn't just get them to spend ten minutes saying different, interesting, variations of 'I stand ready', 'Attacking!' etc.

I suspect it's more about the difficulty of programming the triggering of specific lines for specific battle situations.

I could be totally wrong, though.

ironcreed

Banned
Loving everything about this so far. It really looks like they are out to remind everyone that they are BioWare and can still make a kick ass game.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Man even though both DA2 and ME3 were disappointing in various ways I can't help but get hyped about this game. I am being overly optimistic to think that A) it will actually be good and B) it won't have horribly scummy DLC ala From Ashes?

I really hope they don't pull a douche move like that again, but stuff like that is all in EAs hand and not BioWares, so we should expect the worst.

I thought that the way they handled Shale in DAO was the perfect way of doing things. If you bought a new copy of the game you got the Stone Prisoner DLC, simple as that. Pretty easy and clear, and a move I think most people would agree is not scummy at all. So it really only affected people who bought it used or rented it or got it from a friend.

But then they made Sebastian and Javik into CE bonuses only, not even preorder only. That was just dick move, especially with Javik, most people would probably be happy to not have Sebastian.

I know this game already looks pretty but I really hope this goes in the direction of Dragon Age 1, spent so many hours on the 360 version and really like it.

I hated the way the second one looked and didn't even attempt it.

Ridesh

Banned
I don't know if true, but another BF member said that there is something about 40 endings in the article.

Insert RGB joke here.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I don't know if true, but another BF member said that there is something about 40 endings in the article.

Insert RGB joke here.

I'd assume it will be like DAO in terms of ending cards having many variables or something to that effect. There's probably only a handful or real major endings, but based on your choices and actions throughout the game the full range of the ending will have multiple variations, effectively 40 endings. If that number is in fact true.

Also we should be getting another blog update on Vivienne some time today.

Damn mod support would of been nice for pc. Loved the mods people made for Origins. Oh well, game still looks great and can't wait to play it. Gonna buy a new gpu around the time this comes out. Need this game looking the best it can.

Quentyn

More Vivienne

A word about Vivienne from writer Mary Kirby:

“Vivienne was fun to write because she let me play around with different ways for a character to be powerful. Any mage can destroy their enemies with fire and ice, but Vivienne can rip her opponents apart verbally, politically, socially—and make ice seem like the gentlest option. She takes great pride in her work, and her interactions with a certain unnamed Inquisition mage can be a little… explosive. In a good way. Mostly.”

My dear Ambassador,

I don’t believe we’ve met, so allow me to introduce myself. I am First Enchanter Vivienne, Enchanter to the Imperial Court of Orlais, personal advisor to the Empress.

A rumor has reached my ears that you plan on attending the salon held at the duke’s summer estate three weeks hence. I’m certain this rumor must be a scandalous falsehood, Ambassador, as neither you nor anyone else from the Nevarran embassy has been issued an invitation. As host of the party, I trust you did not intend to crash it like some unwashed workman drunk on three tankards of ale and a dare.

I know you are only seventy-third in line for the Nevarran throne, but that is hardly so lowly a position as to relegate you to trailing after Comtesse Montbelliard in the hope that she might give your suit a moment’s thought. She won’t, my dear. She only likes men with self-respect. Perhaps you might sober up and acquire some?

I’m sure I don’t have to tell you, Ambassador, that the world has become a dangerous place. Wars rage across the continent, the sky is torn open, and many say the end of the world is upon us. During such chaotic times, it behooves those of us in power to aid in the restoration of peace and the establishment of order. Lives have already been lost; should we not save those we can? In that spirit, I give you this friendly warning: I am not to be trifled with. I would not be in a rush to hasten my own demise if I were you, darling. If the demons have their way, it will come soon enough.

Most sincerely,

Madame de Fer

Vivienne_blog03.jpg

http://blog.bioware.com/2014/03/28/vivienne-writing-an-imperial-enchanter/

Top Bottom