• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Sandfox

Have you read Flash by Manapul/Booch? I really enjoyed the omni, tbh. It read really well in one big collection, because a lot of the events of the book are called upon throughout up until the end, and it almost felt like one big story. Ended well, too.

Of, course, the art was MASTERFUL, too.
I've heard good things about that run.
Did not expect to read one of the best DD stories I've ever read with Soule's Vol. 4 but uh, yeah, that happened. Holy shit.
I really enjoyed those issues. More people need to read Soule's Daredevil.

mreddie

Lost my housekeys over the week and I didn't know it til yesterday.

Luckily, I had a spare but then my dad replaced the locks anyway.

Only thing I miss from them was the Wasp keychain I had with it .

Sandfox

Based on the comments I've seen posted in previous threads about the Kaare Andrews Iron Fist run, Iron Fists shows that he has learned from them.

Flash Rebirth hardcover finished. Loved it. Probably gonna take a break from Abe Sapien amd read the Rucka Punisher run next. Then finish Abe and move on to the Punisher MAX collections.

VanWinkle

Flash Rebirth hardcover finished. Loved it. Probably gonna take a break from Abe Sapien amd read the Rucka Punisher run next. Then finish Abe and move on to the Punisher MAX collections.

Only thing I hate about the Flash deluxe:

trNNBck.jpg

Literally a perfect space up top for issue title and writing/art credits, and it's just empty.

Have you read Flash by Manapul/Booch? I really enjoyed the omni, tbh. It read really well in one big collection, because a lot of the events of the book are called upon throughout up until the end, and it almost felt like one big story. Ended well, too.

Of, course, the art was MASTERFUL, too.

Great alternative to sleep aids.

LaNaranja

I don't read comics too much these days but I thought I would share this with you all. My brother is a big Skottie Young fan so I bought him a signed copy of I Hate Fairyland #1 for his birthday along with some 2099 CGC books and some frames to go along with them. That said, I now have eBay recommendations of comics like "Hellina Scythe," "Unholy," and "The Ravening." Feel free to google those when you are away from coworkers and loved ones and will not be judged.

I assume it was the Fairyland book that prompted these recommendations right? Anyone else order comics through eBay and get those recommendations?

Also anyone here deep in the hole of collecting graded comic books? As I was skimming though them looking for birthday gifts it seems like a hobby that get really expensive really quick.

Aizo

Banned
Today I said a temporary farewell to one of my best friends as well as my partner in buying comics. He's moving from Japan on Wednesday. Pretty shitty. We went to college together, hung out in Tokyo all the time, he visited me when I lived in Izumo, then we worked together for over a year, and continued to talk almost daily and hang out at least once a week after I quit.

I guess I'm trying to say that I'll want to talk about comics more on here because I don't really have anyone in this whole country to talk to about them with anymore.

Thanks for having me, ComicsGAF.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Today I said a temporary farewell to one of my best friends as well as my partner in buying comics. He's moving from Japan on Wednesday. Pretty shitty. We went to college together, hung out in Tokyo all the time, he visited me when I lived in Izumo, then we worked together for over a year, and continued to talk almost daily and hang out at least once a week after I quit.

I guess I'm trying to say that I'll want to talk about comics more on here because I don't really have anyone in this whole country to talk to about them with anymore.

Welcome!

That's sad to hear about your friend moving. I get what you mean though, out of my friends none of them are really into comics so pretty much on here is the only place I talk about stuff and online is the place where I get comic news. The best I can probably get is can sometimes get some friends to watch the movies and some of the tv stuff when it comes out. Guess the internet is actually useful for some things ha.

Good week for comics this week :)

Black Panther - The Crew (Too late for a cancellation uncancelling? this stuff is too good to get rid of)
DC Metal (Midnight release cover, forget that awful regular cover nonsense)
Motor Girl
Secret Weapons

Aizo

Banned
That's sad to hear about your friend moving. I get what you mean though, out of my friends none of them are really into comics so pretty much on here is the only place I talk about stuff and online is the place where I get comic news. The best I can probably get is can sometimes get some friends to watch the movies and some of the tv stuff when it comes out. Guess the internet is actually useful for some things ha.
Yeah. In real life, I don't really know people who listen to the Japanese bands I like (even out of my Japanese friends) or the American comics I read besides that one friend and a few back home. Only option is the internet really.

--
The comics that I will be purchasing and subsequently reading this week.

Southern Bastards (finally!!!)
Batman
Superman
Metal
Astonishing Xmen
Super Sons

It's shocking to me that the only comic coming out from Image I'm buying this week is Southern Bastards. It's like a parallel universe where the only Image comic releasing is Southern Bastards, when it's usually the only one that never comes out.

Hi everyone.

This weekend I read Hit 1955 and Cold War: The Damocles Contract. They were both alright.

I have a straw poll for you lot though.

Last week I read the first two volumes of Ghosted. I enjoyed it but didn't blow me away. There are only 4 volumes and the next two are going cheap on CMX. Should I just pick them up and finish the series?

Yeah. In real life, I don't really know people who listen to the Japanese bands I like (even out of my Japanese friends) or the American comics I read besides that one friend and a few back home. Only option is the internet really.

--
The comics that I will be purchasing and subsequently reading this week.

Southern Bastards (finally!!!)
Batman
Superman
Metal
Astonishing Xmen
Super Sons

It's shocking to me that the only comic coming out from Image I'm buying this week is Southern Bastards. It's like a parallel universe where the only Image comic releasing is Southern Bastards, when it's usually the only one that never comes out.

Well at least its probably better than the pre-internet days when we'd have no one to talk comics with. Now at least we get faceless internet strangers....................and added gifs ha

Also I tried Redlands issue 1 when I was picking up Mr Miracle last week, I really wanted to like it for the team involved but didn't really hit with me. Just seemed like pretty cliche horror stuff, nothing really original in there and the art wasn't even that great to go with it. Maybe horror style comics just don't do it for me or maybe it was something that would just take a few issues to develop.

VanWinkle

It is highly possible he's already read it but doesn't realise due to how unmemorable it is.

Even if I hadn't seen any of Winkles posts I still would have known you were talking about New52 Flash. God that was boring.

I have a strong feeling that it would have been way more interesting without any dialogue. Just a silent Flash book with that art.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it was anything BEYOND good (besides that extraordinary art). I just thought, read all together, it was a fun time. It was at least competently written (unlike something like Brian Hitch's stuff).

Flash Rebirth v1 is a stronger book. (Mainly due to the new characters/villain).

Yeah, the writing here is definitely much stronger.

smisk

How has the Poe Dameron book been?

I like it better than the main SW book, not quite as good as Aphra though. I'd recommend checking it out if you like TFA and the other SW comics.

I added Mr. Miracle to my pull list like a week before it came out.. Hopefully they are still honoring it and not marking that issue up, seems like the first printing is selling out fast.

I need to get on with trying more rebirth stuff, I tried Green Arrow and Superman from recommendations and found both dissapointing. Green Arrow had good art but the story was pretty cliche and made less sense the more you thought about it. Superman was better and had potential but can't say it gripped me from the first volume I read. Doom Patrol was pretty winning though.

Think will still give Batman, Detective and Flash a go at some point (even if I would prefer Wally ha).

Was originally considering Titans and Deathstroke as well, but after reading the Lazarus contract cross over can't say it really made me want to read more of either of them.

Messi

I need to get on with trying more rebirth stuff, I tried Green Arrow and Superman from recommendations and found both dissapointing. Green Arrow had good art but the story was pretty cliche and made less sense the more you thought about it. Superman was better and had potential but can't say it gripped me from the first volume I read. Doom Patrol was pretty winning though.

Think will still give Batman, Detective and Flash a go at some point (even if I would prefer Wally ha).

Was originally considering Titans and Deathstroke as well, but after reading the Lazarus contract cross over can't say it really made me want to read more of either of them.

Read Deathstroke

ElNarez

Banned
Yeah, great, good protocol, now tell THAT to the people over in OT who just casually spill some beans IN A GODDAMN THREAD TITLE.

Yeah, great, good protocol, now tell THAT to the people over in OT who just casually spill some beans IN A GODDAMN THREAD TITLE.
Hey, blame the Post for putting it right in the title. Last time I posted an article and changed the title some mod changed it to the article title like half an hour later.

At least they didn't just call it
Dream is in Metal!

ElNarez

Banned
Comic sites clickbait writers are officially the new People Ruining Comics. Young Women and Minorities, you had your day, it's done, you're free.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Comic websites are shit. They mostly only talk about Comic Book Live Action shit so they almost not even earn the name Comic Website.

There are only three good right now

A)CSB - CSB should go independent from that shitpage they are on right now
B) Retcon Punch
C) Superior Spider-Talk.

We should collect more pages that dont rely on Clickbait shit, bullshit rumors and focus more on good reviews, indeepth analysis and essays.

Comic websites are shit. They mostly only talk about Comic Book Live Action shit so they almost not even earn the name Comic Website.

There are only three good right now

A)CSB - CSB should go independent from that shitpage they are on right now
B) Retcon Punch
C) Superior Spider-Talk.

We should collect more pages that dont rely on Clickbait shit, bullshit rumors and focus more on good reviews, indeepth analysis and essays.

I wouldn't necessarily it's the type of site that has essays, but I do really like Multiversity, and they'll put a lot of time into features on smaller books. No lists or anything either.

That said, I actually don't really visit many comic sites or identity with many writers kind of thing, comics I very much just follow my nose and sometimes solicit advice from you guys.

Yea see. That's going to be a problem. We don't like talking comics around these here parts

mreddie

giphy.gif

113 Hulk 8 Marvel 19,143
119 Royals 5 Marvel 18,622
130 Iceman 3 Marvel 15,743
139 U.S. Avengers 8 Marvel 14,821
144 Luke Cage 3 Marvel 14,320
150 Hawkeye 8 Marvel 13,772
157 New Super Man 13 DC 12,951
165 Blue Beetle 11 DC 12,075

giphy.gif

113 Hulk 8 Marvel 19,143
119 Royals 5 Marvel 18,622
130 Iceman 3 Marvel 15,743
139 U.S. Avengers 8 Marvel 14,821
144 Luke Cage 3 Marvel 14,320
150 Hawkeye 8 Marvel 13,772
157 New Super Man 13 DC 12,951
165 Blue Beetle 11 DC 12,075
What about America? Did it rise above 20K again?

Top Bottom