• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbreeze's Syndicate - New Info And Screenshots Leaked

Drazgul

Mandoric said:
I've always suspected that in an alternate universe this exists, and spearmen taking down tanks are really just the guys who bought the DLC reflected across space-time.

That always was just stupid, but luckily some of the more decent mods sort that right out. Play Rise of Mankind in Civ4 for example and the tanks roll right over any non-modern unit like they're supposed to.

syllogism

toddhunter said:
Hey I'm old...but I won't bitch just yet.

Syndicate...well it was a very enjoyable experience. Great atmosphere? check. Interesting weapons like the mind control and vehicles? check. Ability to destroy buildings? (somewhat check), being able to do dick things like kill somebody's wife with a missile? check check.

But apart from, in terms of raw mechanics it wasn't a particularly good game. It was frustrating and largely repetitive. Often missions would boil down to luck and if the opponents got some cheap missile shots in or not.

What I'm getting at is all the elements that made the original great could easily translate into a different genre, without losing what made the original fun to play.

Now I'm pretty confident that they won't, but give me a fps with all the above and I'll at least give it a chance.
I concur; it was a great concept and a pretty good game, but had quite a few issues that dragged it down overall.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
MMaRsu said:
And which title showcased that?
Read the thread. Not everyone shares your taste.

All of these games were really damn good in my experience, but maybe you didn't play them because of the POV.
Boo hoo. I don't like FP perspective. Especially in games that require spacial perception for stuff like platforming or peripheral vision (generally useful in shooters) which the FPP doesn't allow.

Bodom78

Looks decent from whats been shown, will be keeping an eye on this.

If fans want an experience like the old game then go play that, or create some fan project with updated art assets, I think the point/click isometric genre wouldn't be as widely marketable these days when focus is on consoles & PC's

MMaRsu

Banned
Freshmaker said:
Read the thread. Not everyone shares your taste.

Boo hoo. I don't like FP perspective. Especially in games that require spacial perception for stuff like platforming or peripheral vision (generally useful in shooters) which the FPP doesn't allow.

I know not everyone shares my taste, but those games were received very well by critics and gamers alike.

And yeah, we know you don't like that POV but here you are in this thread acting a bitch about it.
Did you seriously expect them to make a game with an isometric pov?

Have some faith I say to thee!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
MMaRsu said:
And yeah, we know you don't like that POV but here you are in this thread acting a bitch about it.
Yes. It is shocking.

Mainly because it didn't used to be presented in an unusable POV.

loffer

They had a lot of trouble in the development process. BUT they have sorted it out.

In addition, Magnus Högdahl, which is one of Starbreeze's founder, is back to help them complete the production of Syndicate. Magnus is a principal architect of the game engine as Syndicate is based on.

This is going to be fuckning great!

Xater

While I know the original, I am willing to give this game the benefit of the doubt.

Starbreeze + Cyberpunk + 4 player coop just sounds just too good to me.

Also those screenshots just look really nice.

mavs

Bodom78 said:

If fans want an experience like the old game then go play that, or create some fan project with updated art assets, I think the point/click isometric genre wouldn't be as widely marketable these days when focus is on consoles & PC's

Regardless, it wouldn't be Starbreeze making that game. This is a solution for both an idle studio and a dormant property. I don't begrudge the developer the chance to make a game. They sure did about as much as they possibly could to kill off any interest that might have been stirred up by the Syndicate name, though.

A Visceral FPS Experience? brutal action adventure of corruption and revenge?

Fuck yeah! I love Visceral experianxes and brutal things about revenge.

Other then the PR talk it sounds neat.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Bodom78 said:

Honest, I don't think people mind that there's a Syndicate FPS, but that there's no Syndicate strategy game.

Like, I don't think people would be offended by StarCraft: Ghost if they were also still making StarCraft RTS games.

If XCOM had been unveiled in tandem with an XCOM strategy game like was originally planned, I suspect people would have been far less offended by that as well.

Gunharp

Xater said:
While I know the original, I am willing to give this game the benefit of the doubt.

Starbreeze + Cyberpunk + 4 player coop just sounds just too good to me.

Also those screenshots just look really nice.

Exactly. Since it is EA I wonder if it will be on Steam. With games built around four player cooperative play, I would actually want to take advantage of the "4 pack" stuff they do (like recently with Dead Island).

Breaking news:

Suikoden Wars: Unleashed is the re-imagination of a classic game series from 1996 – a unique action shooter set in a fantastic medieval world where guilds fight for power.

Take on the role of Clive Johnson, a gun master and sniper, and embark on a brutal action adventure of corruption and revenge.

• Runic Weapons: Empower your weapons with magical runes, providing added firepower on the battlefield.

• 6-Player Online Co-op: Assemble your Howling Voice Guild for global domination. A 6-player, online co-op experience like no other, with rune enhanced gameplay and 9 missions re-imagined from the original Suikoden.

• Visceral FPS Experience: Utilize an upgradable arsenal of medieval weapons, armor and gear to annihilate your enemies and harvest their magical runes for personal advancement and sinister political ambitions.

• Fantasy Fiction: Immerse yourself in the world of Suikoden Wars: Unleashed, with a world-class sci-fi story experience, written by bestselling author Richard A. Knaak.

Elite: Resurrection is the re-imagination of a classic game series from 1984 – a unique action shooter set in a distant future, where mankind has reached for the stars.

Take on the role of Alex Ryder, the Empire’s most powerful agent, and embark on a brutal action adventure of corruption and revenge.

• Ship Enhanced Gameplay: You control both the agent and his ship, being able to call upon its power in hectic battles to cause massive destruction on the battlefield with your upgradable Imperial Explorer starship.

• 4-Player Online Co-op: Assemble your Elite Squad for galactic domination. A 4-player, online co-op experience like no other, with ship enhanced gameplay and 9 missions re-imagined from the original Elite.

• Visceral FPS Experience: Utilize an upgradable arsenal of futuristic weapons, armor and gear to annihilate your enemies and harvest their ship technology for personal advancement and sinister imperial ambition.

• Sci-Fi Fiction: Immerse yourself in the world of Elite in the year 3200, with a world-class sci-fi story experience, written by bestselling author Orson Scott Card.

It's too easy...

FPS? terrible... It would have been better as a TPS with an isometric option. Too many fps games on the horizon...I do not like this direction

Keio

For a Finer World
Buying because of Richard Morgan. Also fuck nostalgy, I can't hate on Syndicate becoming an fps even if I loved the clunky original when I was a kid.

nomis

water_wendi said:
i knew it would be a fucking fps. As with XCOM i will not buy this game ever.

As a fan of first person shooters, it baffles me that anyone would discount two possibly great games out of hand solely because of camera location, with very little info to base it's actual quality on. X-COM could be okay-to-good if we're lucky, Syndicate is guaranteed to be fantastic based on Riddick and The Darkness.

Bodom78

Nirolak said:
Honest, I don't think people mind that there's a Syndicate FPS, but that there's no Syndicate strategy game.

Like, I don't think people would be offended by StarCraft: Ghost if they were also still making StarCraft RTS games.

If XCOM had been unveiled in tandem with an XCOM strategy game like was originally planned, I suspect people would have been far less offended by that as well.

Releasing a smaller downloadable strategy version in tandem or prior to release as homage to the series seems like a good idea. I'm guessing they thought about it but the figures did make it worthwhile.

omnomis said:
As a fan of first person shooters, it baffles me that anyone would discount two possibly great games out of hand solely because of camera location, with very little info to base it's actual quality on. X-COM could be okay-to-good if we're lucky, Syndicate is guaranteed to be fantastic based on Riddick and The Darkness.

It's not that baffling. People who are not big fans of FPS find it much easier to discount FPS than FPS fans.

MMaRsu

Banned
More Fun To Compute said:
It's not that baffling. People who are not big fans of FPS find it much easier to discount FPS than FPS fans.

I'm not a huge fan of isometric games but if they are good enough I will play them. Oh well, I guess there is no point argueing.

omnomis said:
Many of the people behind those games are no longer working for Starbreeze.

LaB_NL

CecilRousso said:
It could very well be. It just won´t be Syndicate. I like the concept of this games, but not the use of the name.

Truth be told. Damn, I loved the shit out of Syndicate. :(

MMaRsu said:
I'm not a huge fan of isometric games but if they are good enough I will play them. Oh well, I guess there is no point argueing.

I have played my share of FPS but it takes a hell of a lot to get me interested enough in them to buy them.

DieH@rd

Banned
I have faith in this project, hopefully it will great.

FPS gameplay does not bugs me, visuals looks nice, studio making the game is OK, and Richard Morgan has indeed written some of the best action cyberpunk novels that i've read [Altered Carbon & its sequels are awesome].

/patiently waits for trailer/full reveal.

Yeah, the plot doesn't make it sound like it's following the same line of thinking of the originals. Still, I guess a Riddick-esque game couldn't be too bad...

Nirolak said:

to be fair, the last Syndicate game was over a decade ago. I don't think EA had any plans to revive the series as a strategy game and this Starbreeze FPS replaced it.

It would be nice if they made a smaller title in the vein of the older game. You could argue how well it worked out for Capcom but it was neat when they released Bionic Commando Rearmed to lead up to the Bionic Commando revival. Although that was an suped up remake, a new game could work just as well. THQ has been doing it with Red Faction, Space Marine, and presumably Saint's Row.

MMaRsu

Banned
I have played my share of FPS but it takes a hell of a lot to get me interested enough in them to buy them.

Sure, me too. But this is by Starbreeze, and it's got that steampunk vibe going on. They are talented devs, I think this wont be just a run of the mill shooter.

Obviously.

Mama Robotnik said:
I always preferred the fact that my team of agents were identityless, with no personality or goal other than what I programmed them to do.

Did anyone else noticed that Kilo is most likely military designation, same as Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, etc.? So we are in fact playing as a generic soldier named Miles, designation Kilo. My guess is the plot can include some of our wiped memories begin to manifest themselves again.

MMaRsu said:
Sure, me too. But this is by Starbreeze, and it's got that steampunk vibe going on. They are talented devs, I think this wont be just a run of the mill shooter.

Obviously.

Riddick was technically pretty impressive but I'm not even sure what an FPS would be able to do to stand out from the crowd for me any more. (In terms of gameplay, don't want any massive screenshots of some FPS mod with 2048x2048 textures.)

Tain

Wait, people expected this to not be first person? psh.

This game might be cool for a playthrough. Both Riddick games were.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Riddick was technically pretty impressive but I'm not even sure what an FPS would be able to do to stand out from the crowd for me any more. (In terms of gameplay, don't want any massive screenshots of some FPS mod with 2048x2048 textures.)
I love Riddick, I really do, but most of Starbreeze's core left the company some time ago. So yeah, there is also that.

CaptainDa

Neo Member
True, and given the internal disputes during the development of this game, I think some people might 've been really been pushing an ambitious hybrid vision of both classic and modern gameplay mechanics. That is, before the ER-producers of EAP arrived (see:1up)

Still, really curious to see what they got in store for one my most beloved games ever. I'm open to whatever they think is a good idea for Syndicate.

Nirolak said:

This would indeed make it easier to stomach. I will play, and most likely enjoy, this new Syndicate game but I would be much happier with a strategy title on the way in case this turns out mediocre. It would be nice to see Starbreeze rise above all the problems and staff leaving but I'm not going to hold my breath. I will await gameplay footage just as I am for Max Payne 3.

robin2

Krev said:
X-Com Take 2
Well, at least this could still be a good FPS; latest XCOM trailer showed a bad game, in addition to the rape.

However. This is still another iteration of the "AAA industry can't conceive anything different than: throw 30~M$ in another action game".

I wonder what will be with the next consoles (with the famous "avatar-like graphics"). The only games viable will be a 2 hour long Call of Duty, and a 5 hours long GTA.

Acosta

Nirolak said:

I could respect that.

Of curse, that's too much to ask in this industry.

Psy-Phi

omnomis said:
It ain't the camera location son, it's the genre. FPS is am action genre, not a strategy one.

dr_rus

I'm ok with it being an FPS. I mean, has anyone really thought that Starbreeze will make some kind of tactical RTS for PC/360/PS3? Naaah, it's been pretty clear that it'll be an FPS with (maybe) some RPG elements to it.

Game looks interesting art wise.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
For those wondering why people might be upset with this (even if the answer is obvious), the question isn't whether or not this particular Syndicate will be good by its own merits, its that the first Syndicate game since 1996 is a spin-off.

As Nirolak said, if a strategy game were announced around the same time there would be less complaining. But no strategy game has been announced, so old Syndicate fans are not getting Syndicate at all.

I love Syndicate so I'll still have a look at this, but it depresses me oh-so-much that publishers and develpers are too shit scared to try anything other than first person shooters and cinematic action games.

nomis

I'm not a "fan of the genre", FPS. "Fan of the genre" is such a pointless term, especially when it is applied to POV and not theme. What I meant by "as a fan of first person shooters" was that there are a huge number of games that I love which are first person. Most of the games on my shelf are FPS, but three of my top five favorite games of all time are third person. My point is that the perspective alone isn't what makes me like a game, it's if the rest of the game speaks to my sensibilities. I will never discount an upcoming game as a "never purchase" solely because of the game's camera position, which more than one person in this thread seems to have done.

Psy-Phi said:
It ain't the camera location son, it's the genre. FPS is am action genre, not a strategy one.

Fair enough, and from this PR it sounds unlikely that this game could be a rare FPS standout with some actual strategic elements, but I'm just saying that we know so little at this point that it's unfair to make assumptions about the gameplay based on some boilerplate EPIC PR speak. Just because it is a "gritty tale of revenge" or whatever doesn't make it a whack a mole CoD clone.

The only version of Syndicate I played was on the SNES. Yes I know I played the worst version. But I liked it anyway. Enough to finish it with my friend in coop.

I dunno why people are so pissed about it. It was bound to happen. Look at X-com. Personally at this time I'll take all the cyberpunk games I can get.

EatChildren said:
For those wondering why people might be upset with this (even if the answer is obvious), the question isn't whether or not this particular Syndicate will be good by its own merits, its that the first Syndicate game since 1996 is a spin-off.

As Nirolak said, if a strategy game were announced around the same time there would be less complaining. But no strategy game has been announced, so old Syndicate fans are not getting Syndicate at all.

I love Syndicate so I'll still have a look at this, but it depresses me oh-so-much that publishers and develpers are too shit scared to try anything other than first person shooters and cinematic action games.

It's why I love the indie scene so much. There's something to cover the bases that the big studios/publishers never do when taking control of an old franchise.

For those looking for a dystopian squad-based strategy set in the near future, keep an eye on Braincandy's Fray game. While not the free-flowing RTT of yore, the WEGO turn-based gameplay sounds like it'll serve to keep things fast, fun and grimly cyberpunk'y.

nomis

EatChildren said:

This is also EA, Command & Conquer used to sell not completely out of the stratosphere of their FPS games, but didn't the most recent ones completely bottom out? Not that EA would realize it was because the games were lackluster and not because every gamer in 2011 will only play FPS. They probably think that because they aren't Blizzard, no version of Syndicate they could make as a strategy game would sell over 750,000 units.

Top Bottom