• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with Incredible Texture Work. - Post Images!

On the portable front:

3_201106041105381qp7N.jpg

Wipeout-2048-4.jpg

Bayonne_Abomination_1.jpg

HSGphoto-9.jpg

Lime

Bioware have always been undefeated masters of texture work throughout the Mass Effect series. Remarkable PC ports they have done, especially when one considers the meagre budget the games have been developed on.

masseffect2012-01-201u1p3u.png

masseffect3demo-textugcq9h.jpg

94f3ae4c0acbe4q7ok8.jpg

Amazing how much effort they have put into the PC versions indeed!

Bioware have always been undefeated masters of texture work throughout the Mass Effect series. Remarkable PC ports they have done, especially when one considers the meagre budget the games have been developed on.

masseffect2012-01-201u1p3u.png

masseffect3demo-textugcq9h.jpg

94f3ae4c0acbe4q7ok8.jpg

Amazing how much effort they have put into the PC versions indeed!

Too bad every texture below the chin of the characters looks like muddy shit.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No, no no. Portal 2 has awful texture work...if you ask me of course. Lovely art, but awful texture work. The source engine is dead.

The game definitely has many rough spots -- more than it ought to, really -- but not every texture in the game is made equal (which is to say they're not uniformly awful). Fair enough if they're not up to your standard, however; even at its best, the game is certainly no, say, Witcher 2.

Tain

Those Halo shots in the OP actually show a pretty low resolution texture that sits under a heavily tiled bump map that's being used as a sort of "detail map" like the ones you'd see in an early 2000s PC game.

Not that it's a bad idea or anything, just a common use of a common technique.

Dead or Alive 5 has great facial textures IMO. As good as anything Ive seen on a console.
I guess the faces use a heap of the consoles resources , as some of the backgrounds look comparatively terrible.
ALBUMML14I2348006028137.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SH swaggggg

iEkIJ6GH6Tg7o.png

Too bad they didn't do proper rendered environments in REmake, it could have been godlike like this mansion in SH2.

Uncharted 3, a game truly held back by 720p.

those be bullshots. You cannot actually see the game like that at 720p...

I mean if you are gonna post texture work for a console game... do not have upresed screenshots like the halo ones in the OP.

Also there is a huge difference between detail textures and real textures...

Piers

This topic is giving me constant texture orgies

I agree with Silent Hill 3. Me and friend played it a bit into this gen, but even then we were pretty amazed. Uncharted wins me every time though - every texture looks right, rather than simply "Here's this wallpaper of rocks on the cliff"

Sentenza

Witcher 2 is probably the best texture work I've seen
Definitely. Texture work in The Witcher 2 is impressive *even* by PC standards.

No, no no. Portal 2 has awful texture work...if you ask me of course. Lovely art, but awful texture work. The source engine is dead.
Absolutely false.
The Source engine has a lot of shortcomings by today's standard, but image quality and the capability to handle good textures aren't really among them.
In fact, Portal 2 is stunning at times, despise how ancient is the tech behind it.

Absolutely false.
The Source engine has a lot of shortcomings by today's standard, but image quality and the capability to handle good textures aren't really among them.
In fact, Portal 2 is stunning at times, despise how ancient is the tech behind it.

Those textures are really blurry, even on the highest setting

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Those textures are really blurry, even on the highest setting
Really? From most distances, they look very sharp and clean. I suppose if you jam your face up against them they don't hold up as well as some other games, but still.

Definitely. Texture work in The Witcher 2 is impressive *even* by PC standards.
It's a shame the game looks kind of janky in motion, though. :\

I mean if you are gonna post texture work for a console game... do not have upresed screenshots like the halo ones in the OP.
That's just silly. You can still appreciate the texture work even if you decouple it from the lower quality video output of the real hardware.

Really? From most distances, they look very sharp and clean. I suppose if you jam your face up against them they don't hold up as well as some other games, but still.

That's what I thought the point of this thread was. I mean it is a game from 2011, on PC...from a AAA developer.

FLAguy954

Resident Evil Revelations (character models):

997778_20110815_screen001.jpg

997778_20110815_screen003.jpg

997778_20110608_screen002.jpg

997778_20110608_screen003.jpg

The most impressive part is these models are the models used in-game. Handheld texture bliss.

EDIT: Here are some screens with environments (these are slightly above native rez):
game_cha4_img_l1.jpg%3Fw%3D640%26h%3D384

2652e5e9a6dc691f66d5da30c385776b.jpg%3Fv%3D216000

onthestairs.jpg

880876f5e5f44d59fa568983d67a785d.jpg

13.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

The most impressive part is these models are the models used in-game. Handheld texture bliss.
I'm going to have to disagree. Those models are too rounded. Unless the 3DS is performing tessellation those are not the actual models. They are renders.

While playing the game you can very clearly see the underlying geometry from which they were modeled. They DO look really good, but they are not that detailed.

FLAguy954

I'm going to have to disagree. Those models are too rounded. Unless the 3DS is performing tessellation those are not the actual models. They are renders.

While playing the game you can very clearly see the underlying geometry from which they were modeled. They DO look really good, but they are not that detailed.

I don't think they are tessellated exactly, more like normal mapped.

EVIL

Also there is a huge difference between detail textures and real textures...

The texture work in uncharted is still awesome, be it HD or not. Great texture work is independent of resolution

RedSwirl

997778_20110815_screen001.jpg

997778_20110815_screen003.jpg

997778_20110608_screen003.jpg

EDIT: Here are some screens with environments (these are slightly above native rez):
game_cha4_img_l1.jpg%3Fw%3D640%26h%3D384

2652e5e9a6dc691f66d5da30c385776b.jpg%3Fv%3D216000

onthestairs.jpg

880876f5e5f44d59fa568983d67a785d.jpg

13.jpg

That's impressive as hell if they got that running on 3DS.

Those Halo shots in the OP actually show a pretty low resolution texture that sits under a heavily tiled bump map that's being used as a sort of "detail map" like the ones you'd see in an early 2000s PC game.

Yeah. It looks pretty good until you start looking at everything with the same intention and see that every damn thing is under the same bump map.
Gears of War was the worst offender of that.

Nice Emulator shots.

For the purposes of this thread, the fact that emulated screens and bullshots allow us a greater look at the textures themselves should supersede the fact that they were taken at a higher-resolution than that at which the games were originally rendered.

Top Bottom