• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Versus |OT| The World, Western release out now!

ranmafan

I was talking about the in game GP prices, not the price of the game itself (which is definitely a price for a standard JP game, sadly ;).

Interesting, I haven't been playing with one suit long enough to reach 20, but I totally expected the leveling to stop there.

Yeah I decided to try and get that trophy out of the way and did a trick of doing trial 1 a lot, where if you avoid the bosss ship in 1-3 and just go after all the respawning Zakus in that mission you can gain an insane number of exp, and when I got to 20 the exp kept going up. I don't know how far it goes but it does seem twenty is not the cap. I'm going to test that theory in a bit and see if I can hit 21.

Edit - ok I just tried leveling up my 20 more and well you actually can't, it's just a weird way they did the exp counting. when you start a suit off, it goes immediately to level two once you gain exp. so therefore even though you hit 20 you still technically haven't filled in the exp for that, even though you are still at 20. Once you do you hit the cap. That's an odd way of doing it. But makes it nice to know there are level caps at 20 for sure.

I was talking about the in game GP prices, not the price of the game itself (which is definitely a price for a standard JP game, sadly ;).

Interesting, I haven't been playing with one suit long enough to reach 20, but I totally expected the leveling to stop there.

Ops! Sorry my bad. lol

Yeah, it's really hard to get GP in this game. I just unlocked only a few emblem and banner that I really like.
Gonna keep the rest of my GP and use it to unlock strikers, pilots and battle navigators for now.

Yeah I decided to try and get that trophy out of the way and did a trick of doing trial 1 a lot, where if you avoid the bosss ship in 1-3 and just go after all the respawning Zakus in that mission you can gain an insane number of exp, and when I got to 20 the exp kept going up. I don't know how far it goes but it does seem twenty is not the cap. I'm going to test that theory in a bit and see if I can hit 21.

Just got my RX-79 [G], Gundam Barbatos and Barbatos Lupus reached lv 20 on that trial mission.
I think I can sing Tobe! Gandamu, Fly! Gundam soundtrack right now.

Butsukero GANDAMU
Kido senshi GANDAMU! GANDAMU!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

Edit - ok I just tried leveling up my 20 more and well you actually can't, it's just a weird way they did the exp counting. when you start a suit off, it goes immediately to level two once you gain exp. so therefore even though you hit 20 you still technically haven't filled in the exp for that, even though you are still at 20. Once you do you hit the cap. That's an odd way of doing it. But makes it nice to know there are level caps at 20 for sure.
Thanks for the tip for quick leveling. I've yet to fail a trial mission in this game - does it allow you to restart and keep your exp? I was killing Zakus, but because of the time limit I could only go up a few levels at once.

Looking at GP/EXP gains in both sp and mp (even without using the trick above), I feel like SP is balanced for leveling suits and MP for getting the money for unlocks.

ranmafan

Thanks for the tip for quick leveling. I've yet to fail a trial mission in this game - does it allow you to restart and keep your exp? I was killing Zakus, but because of the time limit I could only go up a few levels at once.

Looking at GP/EXP gains in both sp and mp (even without using the trick above), I feel like SP is balanced for leveling suits and MP for getting the money for unlocks.

Yeah you can exit after say 1-3, keep your exp and then go back and start all over again from 1-1. I was getting about 70000 just from 1-3 using that method which is good enough for one level by itself for sure. Combined with all the missions I was getting at least 3-4 levels per try. Just did that run again now to help unlock a battle navigator. Those will be a pain to fully unlock at 50000 gp each.

One thing I still don't get, what determines player level? I'm like at 220 and I don't know what it means to be at that level.

Just change the AI command to 'Avoid' and kill many Zakus as you can until the time is up (and the mission is failed).
If you fail, the game will allow you to restart on that trial mission right away and you won't lose your exp (that's why we can farm the trial mission 1-3).

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Just change the AI command to 'Avoid' and kill many Zakus as you can until the time is up.
If you fail, the game will allow you to restart on that trial mission right away and you won't lose your exp (that's why we can farm the trial mission 1-3).
Oh, so you can actually fail and restart? That's great.

As for commands, just use 集中, so that your buddy will help you with Zakus. I noticed that if you don't press circle after killing Zakus, your new target will always switch to the new Zaku, so even your AI partner won't attack the boss (at least they didn't in the 2 runs I did).

ranmafan

Just change the AI command to 'Avoid' and kill many Zakus as you can until the time is up.

Nice didn't know you could do it that way. May end up level up quite a few suits tomorrow this way.

Been doing the 1-3 farm as well. Got 91k just awhile ago.

16yGn6nl.jpg

JKTrix

The game itself is extremely simple. Everyone pretty much has the same inputs. The simple controls allow for a pretty wide range of skill though, particularly around movement. Kind of like Smash Bros.

People who have been playing a while know how not to get hit, generally. That can be tough to learn on your own and with lag, but you can still be pretty effective in the single player modes with the basics.

If you mean online, people have been playing this series for a long, long time, ha ha.

Yeah. Playing against the CPU in this and VS Force wasn't difficult, but playing online feels like an entirely different game. It's like everybody else is moving like Char and I'm just poor Fa. I've probably won 1/10 of my games so far.

ranmafan

Yeah. Playing against the CPU in this and VS Force wasn't difficult, but playing online feels like an entirely different game. It's like everybody else is moving like Char and I'm just poor Fa. I've probably won 1/10 of my games so far.

I know the feeling well. It's been like that for me ever since I started playing federation vs zeon in Japanese arcades in 2001. The gamers that play this online are amazing. And it take a bit of practice to get to their level. But thankfully improvement does come. I've lost most of my matches too but I'm starting to see my big mistakes more, plus finding the right mobile suit for you to control is a must. But yeah it can be quite hard at first but eventually you do get more and more wins.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
But thankfully improvement does come. I've lost most of my matches too but I'm starting to see my big mistakes more, plus finding the right mobile suit for you to control is a must. But yeah it can be quite hard at first but eventually you do get more and more wins.
Definitely this. I've played a some Full Boost and a few matches in arcades, but I was never even decent vs. other players in these games.
The first 2 days I've played GVS online, I didn't get even 1 win (bad luck was a very small part of it), but I've played a bunch and now I've started to win more and more.

If you think you still have a lot to learn, I'd recommend the following:
- Joining 初心者限定 (beginner only rooms)
- Playing 200 cost units, so even if you mess up, it won't drag your partner down so much

Thanks to Shun for the translation of the 2ch tier list:

Launch MS Rankings 7/7 - 2ch + exvsrank navi

S: Hot Scramble
A: X1 Full Cloth, Epyion, Turn A, Turn X
B: Nu, Sazabi, V2, Zero TV, Hi-Nu
C: Sinanju, Qubeley, Unicorn, FAZZ
D: Zeta, The O

A: Providence, X1, Gottrlatan
B: Freedom, Banshee, G Self, Lupus, Hyaku Shiki, X3
C: Full Armor Gundam, ZZ Gundam, F91, Psycho Zaku, GP03, GP02
D: RX 78-2, Zeong, TG2

S: Blitz, Gyan, Exia, G-Arcane
A: Zwei, Barbatos, Sandrock, Mk2, Altron, Forbidden
B: Kimaris Trooper, Gouf Custom, Ez8, Messala, Char Gelgoog,
C: Jesta, Mack Knife, Eins, Kshatriya, Heavyarms, Deathscythe, etc
D: Gold Sumo, Koren Kapool, Berga Giros

S: Marasai, Hizack, ReZel
A: Ground Gundam, Vigna Ghina, Nemo, ReGZ
B: Tieren Taozi, GNX, Char Zaku, Rick, Gun EZ
C: Dom, GM Custom, GM Cannon 2, Zaku
D: Silver Sumo, Kapool, Guntank, Methuss

And here's the exvsrank tier list site for comparison: http://exvsrank.ninja-x.jp/gvs_500.html

No way Dom and FA ZZ are that low

Yeah, I asked about the Dom earlier but after playing online with it for a bit I gotta say it can be a beast in the right hands.

Great tracking on the bazooka, machine gun makes for a nice combo finisher, very versatile assist, and a pretty good special move. I like that it circles around and keeps you moving for the finisher. I feel like that keeps others from interrupting the move compared to ones that keep you stationary (grabs/combos).

I think it's gonna replace gouf/gouf custom as my favorite mook suit. Which is great because it's always been one of my favorite designs!

Shouta

Ranks can be a bit subjective too, for any number of reasons. If you can win with what is considered a low-tier suit and do it consistently, you can prove it's not low-tier. =P

Shun

Rankings are always closer than you read them out to be and look. B and C or Tier 2 A/B aren't bad. The ones on top are just really good. The ones mid/low are just average/unremarkable. The bottom is trash.

It's just a day one list on launch from 2ch by hari.

Donkeyshow forgot to mention the list of recommended strikers:

The O (area of affect stun)
Gold Sumo (2x short range stun)
G-Self (3x short stun)
Doan Zaku (2x 180 damage assist)
Guntank (4x easy to use)
Leo (Stun lock)

I don't recommend 200 suits for beginners, stick to 300 and if you're confident 400. 200 suits don't have the resources or health for beginners to take advantage of. They work best if you already know your step cancels and are able to hit and run without getting hit. Playing 1500/200 suits effectively is one of the harder things to do in the game because you want to avoid getting your partner into overcost at all times and if you're going to die and overcost anyway, you mind as well go 300/400 and get a better feel for the game that way.

Suits I recommend in this game to build good habits, learning to step cancel, zunda, etc, is

Freedom
Banshee
G-Arcane
Blitz
Mark II AEUG

Suits that will build bad habits early, you can play them but you should learn the fundamentals first.
Barbatos
Exia (low hp)
Epyon
other scumbag melee suits

Not sure if my local store is going to get the japanese version. Damn it I guess I'll forget this game exists for now and wait for september.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I say dont listen to lists period as its hardly an effective way to improve your game by chasing after tiers based on someone elses opinion.

Use whatever fits your playstyle and dont go trying to shoehorn yourself with a unit that doesnt match or scared to use due to tier placement or not being listed.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I say dont listen to lists period as its hardly an effective way to improve your game by chasing after tiers based on someone elses opinion.

Use whatever fits your playstyle and dont go trying to shoehorn yourself with a unit that doesnt match or scared to use due to tier placement or not being listed.
I find lists useful as a starting point. Instead of trying out 90+ suits looking for ones that fit my style, I look at those highers ranked >first< and if I don't like those, I just go down the list.

ranmafan

YMFy7wc.png

Confirmed omega kusoge #backtomaxiboost

My favorite review that I read on there started by saying "Did any of you who gave this a one star review actually played the game?"

Classic amazon Japan review bombing.

Is the Japanese backlash mostly because the lack of series/major units that were in MB?

Some were complaining about the lack of units saying it wasn't enough. Some called it a garbage game. Some are complaing about too few maps as well. And some just gave it one star cause they didn't get their preorder bonus. Lots of other strange complaints too there. But it's amazon, this always happens with big games.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I think 2 days ago I got curious and searched for GVS on Amazon. Looked at the number of stars and thought "yup, exactly what I expected".
Of course, that had nothing to do with the actual quality of the game.

DunpealD

So I finally found out what craps out my connection. Looks like it fails to sync up to others outside of 1v1, which turns it into a stuttering mess of 1 bar. Not sure at what connection quality it happens, since I haven't had the chance to play in a European 2v2 yet.

Compared to 1v1 even at 2 bars it's well playable.
Not sure what the issue is, but it kinda bums me out that right now anything online that involves more than one other player seems unplayable. Considering it's a Multiplayer 2v2 focused game, this leaves me pretty much with a broken game unless I manage to find a fix or BN fixes it.

Could they not have given Delta Plus an alt pilot? Some other jobber must have piloted it once right? Fun suit to use but I can't stand hearing Riddhe's whiny ass all the time.

DunpealD

Could they not have given Delta Plus an alt pilot? Some other jobber must have piloted it once right? Fun suit to use but I can't stand hearing Riddhe's whiny ass all the time.

If it wasn't in the story, then don't expect there to be alt pilots. Which means you should learn to love Riddhe and embrace his whiny butt.

It looks like you are already starting to become one with the pilot though, so it's just a matter of time till you won't mind it anymore. ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

If it wasn't in the story, then don't expect there to be alt pilots. Which means you should learn to love Riddhe and embrace his whiny butt.

It looks like you are already starting to become one with the pilot though, so it's just a matter of time till you won't mind it anymore. ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

Oh god you're right.

Shouta

Amazon reviews on the JP site are always a mixed bag of legit complaints and individual complaints. They're kinda fun to read sometimes.

It's actually sort of interesting though because JP user reviews in general are a lot more harsh for whatever reason.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, JP reviews are a mix, but US user reviews aren't any better. Still if you parse the JP reviews it's interesting to see what Japanese players actually have issues with (and hopefully it's not something stupid like Alisha in Tales of Zesteria).

As for the Tier Ranks, what I've learned over decades of fighting games is that unless you're a medium-high level player, tiers don't matter because you'll still be playing an S tier unit at low-mid level play and won't be able to take advantage of their benefits properly and if you're playing at someone at low-mid level they won't be able to use their unit to its full extent or adjust to your disadvantages, so it's all a wash. Unless this is some Marvel v Capcom thing where a character is just totally broken, feels to me like tiers only apply to high vs high level player matches.

Except maybe Scramble Gundam, even I could tell from using it once that it felt insanely overpowered compared to everything else so it's no surprise seeing it on the top of the list. But like both Sumo units are in the trash tier bottom ranks, yet I've won a bunch of matches with them and lost a bunch of matches to people using them as well. /shrug

Good shit rises to the top but games usually have a way of mitigating that. I doubt HS is so broken that everyone should be using him if they want to win all the time. You still gotta put in that effort you know?

And FA ZZ is crazy. You can keep people frustrated with a bevy of shots and use the cannon on wakeup.

Timing meaties (?) on wakeup is so fucking hard since there's no damn real training mode. Ugh.

Bebpo

Banned
How does the wakeup game even work? I don't remember from EXVS. Do you just lay on the ground until you hit a direction and then pop out in that direction? So you want to try to bait the opponent to fire too early and then wake dodge and counter?

Shouta

Wake up in Gundam isn't like other FGs because there's a period of invincibility between the time you get up and the time you gain control of your character again. You can setup something after knockdown in an attempt to get something but it's a lot harder.

Bebpo

Banned
Wake up in Gundam isn't like other FGs because there's a period of invincibility between the time you get up and the time you gain control of your character again. You can setup something after knockdown in an attempt to get something but it's a lot harder.

Ah, yeah that's true. So what's the best strategy to get up and not get hit again right away when your invincibility wears off if someone's in your face? Get up and boost away?

Shouta

Ah, yeah that's true. So what's the best strategy to get up and not get hit again right away when your invincibility wears off if someone's in your face? Get up and boost away?

Determine how they're going to attack you and do something that counteracts it basically. If they're coming at you with a melee at ground level, you can out dodge them on the same altitude or you can fly up and out to avoid. If they're setting up a bunch of beam attacks, you can figure out what direction they want to herd you or if it's a funnel attack, know when the funnels will setup and fire on you, etc.

Tons of ways to attack so there's an equal number of ways to get away from it, lol.

Luigi87

just got teamed with Tryflozn in a casual and my immediate thought went "oh god please don't be streaming"
He wasn't, and I didn't do awful, but I did mess up at the end costing the match.
It was more upsetting since it was a loss vs. two Barbatos.
Delete Barbatos!

Hazaku

My copy finally turned up :)

Haven't played one of these since the local arcade died a few years ago (I was trash then too). Any other Australian or Kiwi gaffers grab the game by any chance?

I should be online to play some matches in a few hours.

Mostly using Dom, Heavyarms Kai, Tallgeese II, and GP01fb at the moment. Had pretty great results with those 4 last night.

ranmafan

I'm going to try and play a bit tonight too. Still haven't really found a main choice yet, playing random a lot to get an idea of my options. Still really like the Gold Sumo. Also I like to use Turn A when I feel I'm up for a challenge, but it really is a difficult suit to master. The Sazabi and Gelgoog have been good for me as well. But for the most part I play a little of everything at the moment. Finally improving but still no where near good compared to the other players online.

fionel

Thinking about getting this game as I haven't played any games with a buddy of mine in a long time and he's very much into this game and gundams in general. However I felt burned before with Full Boost as it was almost impossible to win any online matches as a beginner like myself and also reading the onslaught of horrible amazon reviews sets my interests back a little. Would it be reasonable to expect this to be like the other arcade VS games except with 3 on 3? I don't really care about the less number of units or maps BTW.

ranmafan

Thinking about getting this game as I haven't played any games with a buddy of mine in a long time and he's very much into this game and gundams in general. However I felt burned before with Full Boost as it was almost impossible to win any online matches as a beginner like myself and also reading the onslaught of horrible amazon reviews sets my interests back a little. Would it be reasonable to expect this to be like the other arcade VS games except with 3 on 3? I don't really care about the less number of units or maps BTW.

Well the game is pretty much the same yes as the others. The 3x3 mode is there but it's not as popular as 2x2. Takes much longer to get a 3x3 game going. Usually up to 30 seconds at times versus a second or two for 2x2. The game is still difficult online as the others but it's not so impossible. The game has so many units too, not sure why there are so many complaints about that, but I do wish the missing series were in the game. As for the amazon reviews, while there are some real issues some bring up in them, I still agree with the one review on there that questioned if the people who gave it a one star review actually played the game. It is no where near the level those reviews make it out to be. It's a great game, very much like the others in the series. It's not perfect, it needs a better single player section, a few more stages, and reworked ways to gain money and experience, but it's still a blast. So yeah if you are interested in it, give it a chance. Yeah it sucks losing a lot but it's also fun getting better and learning from each match and then getting those eventual wins

fionel

I intend to play this with 2 of my friends actually. If 30 seconds is the average wait time for 3v3 matching making I think I can live with that (I play SF5 a lot and the matchmaking there is easily 4x worse). However is it possible to play online matches with the 3 of us against 3 other randoms?

Top Bottom