• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo is up on Xbox Live and PSN US. PSN EU whenever.

Kinyou

When I launched an enemy into the air, jumped after him and cut him to pieces mid-air I knew that I need this game.

btw. Is there a way to counter enemy attacks? I remember some video in which Raiden grapped some gekko's leg.

Curufinwe

Press and hold the left stick, then tap [] at the correct time?

Someone here must be able to answer this.

I was trying to push towards the attacker and press [] simultaneously, but being able to hold towards and then tap [] at the right moment would make it much simpler.

Maybe I was just overly tired when I played it last night, but does anyone else think the camera is kind of shit? It seemed like it was pulled in a bit to close, especially when you're locked on to an enemy.

jett

D-Member
You're using "broken" here in a way that makes me think you don't know what that word means

Excuse me while my eyes roll out of my sockets.

Maybe I was just overly tired when I played it last night, but does anyone else think the camera is kind of shit? It seemed like it was pulled in a bit to close, especially when you're locked on to an enemy.

Nah, it's pretty much crap. Dat Ninja Gaiden influence, I guess. :p

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Someone here must be able to answer this.

I was trying to push towards the attacker and press [] simultaneously, but being able to hold towards and then tap [] at the right moment would make it much simpler.

I believe you have to do it simultaneously (from everything I've seen and read, and now played), but I'm sure some industrious young action hero will experiment and discover the exact boundaries of the input timing.

When I launched an enemy into the air, jumped after him and cut him to pieces mid-air I knew that I need this game.

btw. Is there a way to counter enemy attacks? I remember some video in which Raiden grapped some gekko's leg.

I don't recall any leg-grabbing, but if the Gekko tethers you, you counter by swinging it around. Is that maybe what you're thinking of?

Probably won't be up for XBLSilver for another week, but I bet it's up on PSNfree day one.

Really starting to hate MS' greed and ransom practices.

meta4

Disappointed with the demo to be honest. Having the right stick and attack button for parrying seems clumsy. Camera is horrendous, offscreen attacks, easy enemies except for that boss which requires slight effort etc just bummed me out. Will get it sometime down the line when it is cheap.

N30RYU

They should just make one thing... to get S rank you shouldn't cut everyone in 100 pieces... just kill them with a single clean cut trough the core.

Kinyou

I don't recall any leg-grabbing, but if the Gekko tethers you, you counter by swinging it around. Is that maybe what you're thinking of?
Hm, you're probably right. Can't find it in any of the trailers. With the quick cuts during the trailers I might have just imagined that he had grabbed it by the leg while in fact it was just the tether.

Dawg

This game, man. THIS GAME.

That final fight, that music... that adrenaline... Perfect!

Just 2 questions:

- How does one succesfully dodge/parry? Combat tutorial kept saying left stick + square, but that was a little vague

- Did anyone else find the camera a little annoying when switching to blade mode? It's like it would often move down/up when I'd change, a bit chaotic. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

Besides that, I have a feeling this is going to be a 8/9 out of 10.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Probably won't be up for XBLSilver for another week, but I bet it's up on PSNfree day one.

Really starting to hate MS' greed and ransom practices.

I wanted to chime in on this subject earlier when it came up, but yeah, it sure is hard to frame it as "Gold gets it early" rather than "Silver gets it late" when it's releasing on another platform at the same time as the "early" one. Ransom is the exact word I'd use. I try not to get emotional about consoles and their warz but MS fucking disgusts me in this regard.

This game, man. THIS GAME.

That final fight, that music... that adrenaline... Perfect!

Just 2 questions:

- How does one succesfully dodge/parry? Combat tutorial kept saying left stick + square, but that was a little vague

Parry is square + left stick towards enemy at the same time. The enemy has to be attacking for anything to happen.

Dodge is X + square + a direction. No direction hops backwards, IIRC.

I have a question, too. I was ninja-running in a straight line and suddenly Raiden did a roll on the ground. How did that happen?

Disappointed with the demo to be honest. Having the right stick and attack button for parrying seems clumsy. Camera is horrendous, offscreen attacks, easy enemies except for that boss which requires slight effort etc just bummed me out. Will get it sometime down the line when it is cheap.

Isn't it left stick + button to counter? Or maybe that's why I did so terrible at it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Isn't it left stick + button to counter? Or maybe that's why I did so terrible at it.

Definitely left-stick. He probably just typo'd because there's no way anyone could believe an important command in a video game in 2013 would be assigned to a face button and the right stick simultaneously.

Trying it right now and loving it. It's easy to see the depth in the combat, and it also feels pretty unique IMO. Not having problems with the controls, except for the lockon for some reason.

jett

D-Member
They should just make one thing... to get S rank you shouldn't cut everyone in 100 pieces... just kill them with a single clean cut trough the core.

Your ranking being tied to how many pieces you cut is just...meh. It's like your ranking in DMC3 being ranked to how many red orbs you find. It's bullshit.

Neiteio

Peeps haven't mentioned but the loading times are really, really short. So good.
Yeah, load times are great. Hardly ever seems to dip below 60 fps during gameplay, either. The only drop I distinctly noticed was during a codec conversation where you can't do anything but turn the camera and walk for 30 seconds, anyway. (Thankfully there is only one forced codec conversation of this sort in the demo.)

jett

D-Member
Boo my PS3 locked up while slicing some guy. I hope this shit is GONE from the final release.

Yeah, load times are great. Hardly ever seems to dip below 60 fps during gameplay, either. The only drop I distinctly noticed was during a codec conversation where you can't do anything but turn the camera and walk for 30 seconds, anyway. (Thankfully there is only one forced codec conversation of this sort in the demo.)

The framerate drops when you cut too much. Sometimes very severely. :p During regular combat it holds really well tho.

jett

D-Member
Okay, forget about using -> -> square for launching, that's garbage. Square, pause, square is the correct way to launch enemies in the air.

Mit-

Was very impressed with the demo. So smooth, graphics looked great, animations were top notch. I spent a good 15 minutes in the first training room trying to figure out as many different moves as possible. Didn't find out about double tapping directions or hitting back>forward or the launcher. Need to try the whole demo again now knowing how to stinger and launch.

Also the boss was HARD until I watched a Japanese playthrough and discovered how to parry better.

Basically, keep attacking until they are about to attack, and then switch to light attacks (square/X). You seem to be able to cancel light attacks into the parry, and yeah, you can only initiate the parry when they start an attack, and you DEFINITELY CAN WHIFF A PARRY AND BE PUNISHED, contrary to something I read in this thread yesterday. If you do it too early the animation can and will end, and you can get punished in that cooldown.

I kind of suck at aiming blade mode. How do you guys swing? Go wild on the analog stick? Align and then release the stick? Align and then swing the stick in the direction you want?

I've been aligning and then swinging the stick through the whole slice, but it seems less accurate. I tried just aligning and then releasing the stick (like they suggest) but a lot of times that would give me two slices, likely from the analog stick swinging a bit past neutral position from the initial release.

Well...this demo just kinda sucked all my hype out. :/

I'm really curious if this demo didn't hype you, what demo has?

Not trying to tell you you're opinion is wrong or anything.

I've personally put more than 4 hours or so already in it and that's usually a good sign.

My longest played demo/trials-

Ninja Gaiden 1
Phantom Dust
Anarchy Reigns

and now I think Rising might get more than Anarchy Reigns.

I'm wondering what's everyone's most played time in a demo that was released?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
PS3 Gallery - http://minus.com/mejTVCj4Dt0u8

X360 Gallery - http://minus.com/mYobVWlRzk6ug

Tried to match most frames up. Game looks pretty identical.

i4QYq0q9Uv91s.jpg
iblHV7iEjjZvQ7.jpg

ih4QGXKdTCPRY.jpg
iOCIs0S8Yn7TG.jpg

iskmASajmxU6z.jpg
ibxlUoNOk4BI5a.jpg

iCyOhp3GaqsC7.jpg
i2JqYnfaZG0uL.jpg

ifGCwbVnRfdSN.jpg
iUavifzDP37q6.jpg

velociraptor

How do I even play this game. I don't even know what to do besides mash square and triangle. The boss was tough to beat. Took me at least 10 tries, and even then, I think I fluked it. I don't even know how to parry properly.

GQman2121

Banned
The fact that there's a tutorial and yet they fail to explain how to actually play the game is a mistake. I think it might be deeper than it appears, but there's a lot you have to go through to figure that out.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The fact that there's a tutorial and yet they fail to explain how to actually play the game is a mistake. I think it might be deeper than it actual appears, but there's a lot you have to go through to figure that out.

The tutorial in this is likely not the actual combat tutorial from the full game. There is a mission before this in the final game.

Never played a game like this, its awesome. I am however getting my ass kicked. How are people fighting the gekkos specifically? Are you supposed to just wait for them to kick you and then try to parry it? When attacking them, since I am close up to them, pressing forward to parry seems unnatural. So I just slice until I am kicked, and repeat. I'm sure I need much more practice, but for the soldiers are you guys hopping back and forth between guys like in the batman arkham games? (that's what I'm more used to), or are you focusing on taking out one guy at a time? I know the combat here has the potential to be very satisfying so I want to get great at it. Thanks in advance.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What are we supposed to use then? Are we changing the control scheme or is there a "trick" to not using the right stick to chop?

Stick for precision slice aiming, Triangle and Square during blade mode for generic quick sideways and topways slashes.

Dave1988

What are we supposed to use then? Are we changing the control scheme or is there a "trick" to not using the right stick to chop?

Changing the control scheme. Supposedly changing it to the left stick [D setup] makes Blade Mode easier to operate.

jett

D-Member
Manual slicing is imprecise with either stick, frankly it becomes an annoyance. Aim and mash square/triangle and hope for the best.

moolhy

Banned
PS3 Gallery - http://minus.com/mejTVCj4Dt0u8

X360 Gallery - http://minus.com/mYobVWlRzk6ug

Tried to match most frames up. Game looks pretty identical.

I know the contrast is always more pronounced on 360 titles but some shadows and textures look flat out different.

Notice the shot of Raiden overlooking the street while talking to Boris, the darkest part of the shadow of the bus is on a different side on each shot, and the texture of the damaged floor right beside Raiden's head (same screenshot) has better definition on the 360. Same thing with the white hole on the street, by the bus.

Wasn't this demo supposed to have corrected some bugs present in the previous build? Raiden's hair still disappears in the middle of a QTE. WTF @ this.

Manual slicing is imprecise with either stick, frankly it becomes an annoyance. Aim and mash square/triangle and hope for the best.

So jett, do tell me how they would make the manual slicing more precise? Is the line telling you exactly 1:1 where your slice will go not enough visual information? What form of input should they use for the 360 degree aiming instead of analog sticks?

Top Bottom