• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Support of 2 controllers on Wii U already available or on its way

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevieP

Banned
Quite surprise how important to have 2. I mean why not more than 2. If the screen is rendering by hardware inside the controller then let it have more than 2.

If it came power by the main system. Don't bother get more than one, otherwise the game may cut/reduce/limit for saving resource.

It's all coming from inside the system. The rendering of the screen, and sending the ni-fi signal to the controller, as well as accepting input via bluetooth.

ksamedi

I still don't think having two U pads is necessary, we're in the age of online gaming. So Nintendo should focus on other features.

I like local multiplayer more, personally. I think a lot of people share this. Not even considering lag and connection failures of online play, I think overall its just a nicer experience to play together in the same room and having fun. That said, I do like some aspects of online play like having this big screen all for yourself without your opponent seeing what you are seeing. I think Nintendo just fixed that problem for local multiplayer. And its great to be able to have some of the advantages that online play offers in local multiplayer.

There is really nothing to complain about here. Everything points to the Wii U having a good online experience, and a very good local multiplayer experience as well.

NeoRausch

I guess it's a matter of what's displayed.

- Just stratigic maps and shit.- 4 pads
- Minor gtaphic stuff. - 2 pads
- Full ingame graphics. - 1 pad

uh, and what about: tv off - 2 player game just on the pads?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So... The OP is the source or did I miss a link somewhere? Where did you see these dev kits?

Edit: ok, so he's not a dev and didn't actually see it and is going by what some devs said. Shame/weird that if they're willing to divulge such information they also couldn't tell him anything about its specs...

So I guess it may as well be bs, intentional or not, but there's a 50% chance it'll be done anyway and he's not 100% confirming it.

Quite surprise how important to have 2. I mean why not more than 2. If the screen rendering by hardware inside the controller, then let it have more than 2.

If it came power by the main system. Don't bother get more than one, otherwise the game may force to cut/reduce/limit for saving resource.
Are you using GAF with google translate? Anyway. No, it's not the controllers that render the game view on them. More than one controller shouldn't tax it that much more than regular split screen does in multiplayer games as they're not exactly HD screens, though they're extra on top of the full TV resolution rather than just that divided. Still, the problem seemed to be the video streaming feature and if it could handle more than one controller's screen iirc rather than anything to do with rendering.

So.... what is the actual hard news?

That newer kits have a second port but devs can't make use of it and don't have word that they ever will? Was the rest just speculation?

My thoughts exactly on this long awaited thread. I'm tired of having to decipher what may be speculation and previous quoted info or what parts I'm apparently supposed to assume are actual pieces of hard info. That said, this is good news if true, thanks IdeaMan. Just hope you can take the possibility of real criticism now that you're outside of the spec threads.

iceatcs

It's all coming from inside the system. The rendering of the screen, and sending the ni-fi signal to the controller, as well as accepting input via bluetooth.

Ah thanks for classify.
Maybe they want it as low number controller pads per system. Otherwise it would be expensive to buy multi ni-fi chips if they want it to handle more than 2.
And of course it will cost too much for the system resource.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I guess it's a matter of what's displayed.

- Just stratigic maps and shit.- 4 pads
- Minor gtaphic stuff. - 2 pads
- Full ingame graphics. - 1 pad

uh, and what about: tv off - 2 player game just on the pads?

For the last sentence, why not ? Or a TV show while you play against your friend on the DRC's.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Anyway. No, it's not the controllers that render the game view on them. More than one controller shouldn't tax it that much more than regular split screen does in multiplayer games as they're not exactly HD screens, though they're extra on top of the full TV resolution rather than just that divided. Still, the problem seemed to be the video streaming feature and if it could handle more than one controller's screen iirc rather than anything to do with rendering.

You got it.

Edit: maybe some buffer limitations ?

Vinci

Danish
Let's stick with the important questions, IdeaMan... How many bagels can the Wii U toast simultaneously?

Ask all the folks who whined about this for the last year.
Eh?

I just mean, speculating about how this could let us - wait for it - play 2-player games without a TV doesn't sound very exciting considering that would basically be the same as each having a handheld. 2 controllers plus a TV is where it gets interesting because that is pretty much a brand new way of playing.

Luigison

God I hope something interesting can be done with 2 pads that can't already be done with 2 3DSes or 2 Vitas.
If they put a camera and IR array on the back of each I can think of a lot of cool two player games with each player facing each other (and not the TV). Has anything been revealed about the back of the new controllers? Analog triggers, camera, sensor bar? I'd love to see some Johnny Lee type head tracking.

If they put a camera and IR array on the back of each I can think of a lot of cool two player games with each player facing each other (and not the TV). Has anything been revealed about the back of the new controllers? Analog triggers, camera, sensor bar? I'd love to see some Johnny Lee type head tracking.
That would be awesome but as far as I am aware no leaks have suggested there are any sensors on the back of the controller. I'm not sure why there isn't an out-facing camera, considering even in single player games it could add a lot to augmented reality.

test_account

XP-39C²
Two controllers was my guess for Nintendo's E3 surprise :) It was pretty much the first complaint people had after the WiiU was unveiled, so i'd make sense that Nintendo would adress this.

rouken

i will be surprised if this wasn't confirmed at nintendo's conference. i thought this is their priority right after last year's showing. i do hope they pull this off.

streaming to two controllers is possible right?

God I hope something interesting can be done with 2 pads that can't already be done with 2 3DSes or 2 Vitas.
Think of Magic: The Gathering - a card game where each player holds a bunch of cards privately, and then lays them on the table. Sure, it could technically be done just on a handheld, but this is more like playing the real thing, where you are looking in your physical hands to see your cards, and out on the table (TV screen) to see what's going on.

You aren't going to find much in this that couldn't be done with two Nintendo DS's, because the Wii-U is basically a console version of the DS.

Tagg9

That was a really big OP and it barely said anything.

I still don't understand why Ideaman's posts are given any credibility.

Having not followed the status of this since E3, I personally found the OP quite informative. I'll agree that there was a decent amount of fluff, but I appreciate the effort that went into making the post.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

An augmented reality pong, the padlets are the surface each players control, and you have to strafe in your living room to catch the virtual ball ! YAY !

Darryl

Banned
I thought this was already obvious. Haven't they been telling us over the past year that they're doing their best to implement this? I'll be surprised when there's some games out that actually use the two controllers.

lednerg

If the game has a split-screen mode for multiplayer already, then it should be able to mirror one of those splitscreens to the tablet without affecting the GPU much if at all.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Having not followed the status of this since E3, I personally found the OP quite informative. I'll agree that there was a decent amount of fluff, but I appreciate the effort that went into making the post.

Thanks, yeah, it was to introduce the context, what we knew about the 2 DRC support status, the history of the implementation of this feature, its non availability for developers, then the real data, followed by some assumptions mixed with info. There's a lot of scenarios covered, to push people to consider that this support may not be activated at E3, that certainly third-parties projects aren't including a 2 DRC multiplayer mode, etc. I guess pressed by the time people could skip directly to part 3 :)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
should we jump for joy over something that should be a giving?

I don't think you can look at 2 pad controllers with lag-free streaming ability as a given, though. If these were typical game controllers, absolutely. But this is a much different animal.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Think of Magic: The Gathering - a card game where each player holds a bunch of cards privately, and then lays them on the table. Sure, it could technically be done just on a handheld, but this is more like playing the real thing, where you are looking in your physical hands to see your cards, and out on the table (TV screen) to see what's going on.

You aren't going to find much in this that couldn't be done with two Nintendo DS's, because the Wii-U is basically a console version of the DS.

I like that. And the TV screen could display, in plus of the virtual table, some animations, like Leviathan Vs Polar Kraken Vs Jokulmorder !

should we jump for joy over something that should be a giving?
It's not a given, though, because of the huge technical challenges behind it. Namely, the amount of wireless bandwidth needed to send and render two complete screens in under 1/60th of a second. I don't know of anything else that does that - iPad to Apple TV has quite a bit of lag sending 1080p, for example, and the wireless HDMI devices do too (but since both video and audio are lagged the same, it's not an issue there).

boiled goose

good with gravy
A necessary feature. Wii sold only because of local multi. One pad only is gimping most important and differentiatirng feature of its predecessor

Analog triggers were supposedly added sometime last year.

jdmonmou

This feature would be excellent for sports games. I remember playing NFL 2K on the Dreamcast with friends, but using the VMU to select my plays so we couldn't peek at which play the other was selecting. Madden could do the same type of thing on the Wii U. Also, while the game is going on you can look down and see stats and other info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom