• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 PC Performance Thread

legacyzero

Banned
You can't compare a multiplayer Beta with single-player performance ... C'mon!

Load up the MP maps in the retail and they're running straight 60, they are nowhere near as intensive as the SP section.
You know I can't go a full day without an important lecture from Sethos!

<3

Reallink

Nothing about this game even looks close to something a fucking 680 should be struggling to run at 40FPS. What an enormous amount of unoptimized bloat and ridiculously expensive unnoticeable effects Crytek must have slathered on this turd to pull off this kind of performance.

Xanadu

Banned
Nothing about this game even looks close to something a fucking 680 should be struggling to run at 40FPS. What an enormous amount of unoptimized bloat and ridiculously expensive unnoticeable effects Crytek must have slathered on this turd to pull off this kind of performance.

tessellated dust particles bro get with it

Eideka

Banned
I would love to be wrong, but people are experiencing framerate drops pretty consistently at the same places at different resolutions and different settings.

I can't think of a reason why Crytek would do this. That defeats the point of having such high requirements.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I can't think of a reason why Crytek would do this. That defeats the point of having such high requirements.

Skyrim did this too as well do other games for odd reasons. It took them several months to basically do what the mod community did within days.

Someone try patching the exe with the Large Address Aware fix.

Xanadu

Banned
Skyrim did this too as well do other games for odd reasons. It took them several months to basically do what the mod community did within days.

do you know if nfs most wanted has been fixed too?

Turn down shadows, forget AA and use half refresh rate and you should be ok. I have a similar setup (3570@4.2 and a 670) and I've been told that this is doable

I'll give it a shot once I have the game in hand. I'm going with the comfy couch route, so no AA usually isn't a huge problem at 1080p.

I'm also hoping that even better drivers will be released within the first few weeks of launch.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
You can turn a lot of the bloat down. People just want to slide all the sliders to the right because they have an über rig.

kinggroin

Banned
well on the plus side, our high end cars are running this game much better then the high end cards of the first crysis release.

kamicowzi

Banned
Crysis 3 appears to be running well enough on my 7870 (Tahiti based model...not Pitcarin). I am running it at 1080p with the settings suggested by ATI. While I am certain I am not nearing 60fps, I seem to be staying around or above 30fps with everything on very high (except for the textures) and 2x SMAA @ 1920x1080. It's certainly playable and looks fantastic. Would I see a huge performance hit if I hooked my PC up to a 60" television via HDMI and kept the resolution setting at 1920x1080? Thanks!

kinggroin

Banned
Crysis 3 appears to be running well enough on my 7870 (Tahiti based model...not Pitcarin). I am running it at 1080p with the settings suggested by ATI. While I am certain I am not nearing 60fps, I seem to be staying around or above 30fps with everything on very high (except for the textures) and 2x SMAA @ 1920x1080. It's certainly playable and looks fantastic. Would I see a huge performance hit if I hooked my PC up to a 60" television via HDMI and kept the resolution setting at 1920x1080? Thanks!

Why do you think a TV would impact your performance?

No. It wont. Not if all settings stay the same.

hwalker84

Its about the resolution not the screen size.

pelican

I wonder if AMD are gonna release new cats.

Wanting to do a new install of windows on my SDD, but cba doing it now only to have to clean the beta 5 CATs if new ones appear.

shandy706

Ahhh..thanks guys. I have never really bothered to hook my desktop to my TV before, so I wasn't quite sure.

Yeah, you're fine. I have my main gaming rig hooked to my 46" Aquos in my bedroom. I rarely game on my gaming rig that's in the study (with a PC monitor).

Just going to ask again given it got buried, how is the TXAA support? Also wondering how the blurring would affect such a colorful game,AC3 and the Secret World while beautiful have a pretty mute palette.

Arucardo

do you know if nfs most wanted has been fixed too?

Slightly off-topic but yes, it runs perfectly on my system now. They seem to have figured out what caused that stuttering and all that. If you want details then search for the Most Wanted PC thread.

Mononoke

Banned

Really dumb question. But if it's an issue with it being a 32 bit, that means that it's not able to use as much memory as it could.

Does that mean it limits VRAM usage?

If that's the case, really wouldn't help my situation - because I'm bumping up against 2gb of VRAM when playing at 1600p. Unless I'm misunderstanding how this works. (with 32 bit exe) I do remember the issue with Skyrim. I guess I just didn't understand it entirely.

Sethos

Banned
Just like that?

Does anyone have a screenshot comparison of a daylight level with/without colorgrading?

Depends, if there's an actual color graded filter added then that command will remove if. If the ToD or light setting dictates the colors of the map then it won't do anything afaik.

About 3.5 hours in and I'm fine with the peformance this far.

Running at 1080p with everything maxed, 2x smaa on crossfired 7970s I get 60 fps a lot of the time and it hasn't gone below 35 so far.

If this were any other game I would be upset that I'm not getting a locked 60 fps, but Crysis 3 is by far the best looking game I've ever played. The amount of detail, the lighting effects, the environment, the physics. Everything is visually consistent and pretty.

**It should be noted that I lose very little performance by switching to 4xMSAA, but I get slight hiccups once and a while so I've just been using SMAA.

Adam Blue

Running at 1080p with everything maxed, 2x smaa on crossfired 7970s I get 60 fps a lot of the time and it hasn't gone below 35 so far.

If this were any other game I would be upset that I'm not getting a locked 60 fps, but Crysis 3 is by far the best looking game I've ever played. The amount of detail, the lighting effects, the environment, the physics. Everything is visually consistent and pretty.

**It should be noted that I lose very little performance by switching to 4xMSAA, but I get slight hiccups once and a while so I've just been using SMAA.

Wow. And I'm excited that I just got my single 7970. So it will look half as good for me. ha.

Domstercool

You should get more than that? I am using the 13.2 beta drivers with a 6990, and I am hitting with max settings.

no AA
crysis32013-02-1822-4mnqx8.jpg

2xsmaa

8x MSAA

You should get more than that? I am using the 13.2 beta drivers with a 6990, and I am hitting with max settings.
no AA
2xsmaa
8x MSAA
Is it just me or is there barely any difference between 2xSMAA and 8xMSAA? Actually on the upper right the tree looks better on smaa. Interesting. I guess then I don't have to max out aa to make it look good. Just shows the diminishing returns I guess since you could lower many settings to high in the beta and the difference was negligible.

Cant wait to test this on my GTX 590.

That graph a few pages back looked promising.

I really love my 590 as it plays everything great but then with Skyrim which I really want to play it stutters like a little bitch due to only 1.5gb of vram on each gpu with all the high res texture mods.

You know what would feel weird? If this game wasn't making every PC sweat. My current PC eats Crysis 2 alive with everything maxed and it feels kind of wrong. I don't get as good framerates in the original Crysis as I do 2 when everything is set to it's highest, even running it in 3D for Christ's sake.

I'm expecting my PC to be wheezing. If I can keep it north of 20 fps (as I did the original Crysis way back when) I'm sure I'll love it, just as I did back then. So long as the controls remain weirdly tight at low framerates, and the gameplay remains good (Crysis 2 fan here) tomorrow should be a lot of fun.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
You know what would feel weird? If this game wasn't making every PC sweat. My current PC eats Crysis 2 alive with everything maxed and it feels kind of wrong. I don't get as good framerates in the original Crysis as I do 2 when everything is set to it's highest, even running it in 3D for Christ's sake.

I'm expecting my PC to be wheezing. If I can keep it north of 20 fps (as I did the original Crysis way back when) I'm sure I'll love it, just as I did back then. So long as the controls remain weirdly tight at low framerates, and the gameplay remains good (Crysis 2 fan here) tomorrow should be a lot of fun.
There's nothing wrong with good optimization.

Dennis

Banned

no AA

2xsmaa

8x MSAA

When all three images are downscaled by quoting it kind of makes it pointless to compare no AA, 2xsmaa and 8x MSAA, they all pretty much look the same.........

DieH@rd

Banned
When all three images are downscaled by quoting it kind of makes it pointless to compare no AA, 2xsmaa and 8x MSAA, they all pretty much look the same.........

So dont look at them that way. :) Open each one in their own tab and you can easily see the differences.

Domstercool

They are only quoted to keep the post small, plus, it was mainly to show that he should be getting more FPS with a crossfire 7970 setup than I am with a 6990 card.

There's nothing wrong with good optimization.

I don't argue, it just doesn't feel right for something with the Crysis name on it somehow. The DX9 version of Crysis 2 convinced me that Crytek can optimize the crap out of something, but now I want to see them throw everything at my system again just as they did with the first Crysis.

Just to clear some things up.

32-bit exe is only related to how much memory you can access in main memory. Texture memory is a different animal. I'm sure that with each level loaded they try to download as much textures to the videocard as possible. 4G RAM is pretty low to be worried about addressing it.

Secondly, what's up with all the haters of the game because it doesn't run well? People basically begged Crytek (after Crysis 2 released) to push the envelope and now you are seeing it. Deal with it.

Lastly, Crysis 3 is definitely the best looking game to date. So to say that it doesn't even look a generation ahead is just hating.

Sethos

Banned
Secondly, what's up with all the haters of the game because it doesn't run well? People basically begged Crytek (after Crysis 2 released) to push the envelope and now you are seeing it. Deal with it.

There's a difference between pushing the envelope and optimization issues. Walking along a generic hallway at 60FPS and then suddenly seeing a crazy dip to 35 and then back up to 60 is not pushing the envelope,

There's a difference between pushing the envelope and optimization issues. Walking along a generic hallway at 60FPS and then suddenly seeing a crazy dip to 35 and then back up to 60 is not pushing the envelope,

Well, there could be a lot of reasons for that.

1) Give Crytek credit. They know the PC's capabilities in and out. If anything is unoptimized, it's Nvidia's and AMDs drivers.

2) There could be area lights, global illumination, real reflections, lit particles etc.. all of those highly demanding features contribute to the framerate dropping. It's not all about the geometry. The shaders/lighting are the limiting factor here.

taoofjord

So do people see a substantial improvement in the visuals from Crysis 2? From the screens I've seen it seems that it's at about the same level but the areas are larger.

Top Bottom