• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new 360 revision with 1TB of storage coming soon to a Hut near you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Xabora said:
Yes, considering right down the road is a MS owned facility with tons of MS Employees?
Oh sorry, I missed that part. That changes everything. Submitting to all major news sites as we speak.

spwolf

and sadly, 1TB will not be enough if you want IPTV...

I got 750 GB drive in my Skd HD and it wasnt enough, looking at 1TB right now.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Xabora said:
mm sarcasm. :p
Come on dude, a MS owned facility down the street doesn't mean shit to anyone, especially not on the internet. I hoped GAF would've been above sourceless rumors like this. I mean, it's all plausible info but that adds nothing to the fact that anyone could've made this up.

Falagard

The original rumor is probably completely made up.

However, if Microsoft were to go with completely digital distribution then a terabyte drive would pretty much be required.

It's crazy because not everyone has an Internet connection that is a) connected to their console b) fast enough to download 20 GB games in a reasonable amount of time c) many countries have strict download caps per month, such as 5 to 10 GBs.

However, let's say they were insane and still wanted to do only digital distribution. They can get rid of the fault prone DVD drive completely, which saves costs and saves customer service and repair headaches.

They could still sell boxed copies in retail stores, which contain the manual and small card, like a Smart Card (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_card)

You buy the game at a store, go home and insert your card in the console. The smart card allows you to access a game. You may have previously downloaded the game in advance, such as when Steam allows you to download games prior to their release and then unlock them on release day.

If you hadn't downloaded prior, you need to download at that point. This is the big problem - waiting for a 20GB download could take anywhere from 24hrs to weeks ;-) Good luck trying to play games on Christmas morning.

Xabora

Nino said:
Come on dude, a MS owned facility down the street doesn't mean shit to anyone, especially not on the internet. I hoped GAF would've been above sourceless rumors like this. I mean, it's all plausible info but that adds nothing to the fact that anyone could've made this up.
I know that... and I can't really talk about said building due to past... experiences with paper work.

Nino said:
This kid down the street has this uncle, who works at Bungie, and he told me Halo 4 will be a Wii exclusive mini game collection.

Mods asked me to label this post as a rumor though.
Sounds about right :lol.

Walshicus

To be fair to the OP, it's not as if storage cost per gigabyte doesn't plummet rapidly with time. I'm sure there's a graph out there of average HDD cost per gigabyte over time.

Apocryphon

Xabora said:
As requested via a mod this thread is to be labeled as a Rumor, so please take it like that.

Today I ran across some information.
However I do live in an area with a good deal of employees/contractors from a rather large corporwww.microsoft.comation and have worked with some of them in my past.

So lets start off with some of the info I was given starting with the 360 in general.
From what I was told during a conversation;
Microsoft seems to be slimming the system down to a 'Wii-like' size. (A Fat overweight Wii :lol)
This model should have the CPU+GPU Combo Dye with the E-DRAM off to the side.
Thats all the information I have on that.

Now I'm not 100% sure on this so do not get hyped up, but speculated release is Late Winter 2008ish?
Side note, ATI/AMD has been working on a CPU/GPU Combo dye for sometime. LINK

Clairifying this section... guess I confused some people. Its not the Xbox 360, its the Next Gen system.
As for the Xbox,
The Next Generation Xbox after the Xbox 360... thats expected to have a Blu-Ray Drive?, 1TB HDD, and a Quad-Core CPU.
Speculative Date is considered 2010~.
(Considering its still early these are most likely to change.)
They also mentioned the spec sheet for the console was leaked. ?

Lastly, the handheld xbox-like device. As far as I know its considered a "Pie-in-the-sky".

Again, I would like to mention, please take this with a grain of salt.

:lol

Haunted

This is clearly Microsoft spreading false rumours because they can't keep the actual leaks under control.

hc2

Entirely possible, let's look at where Microsoft wants to go. They want to be numero uno in the living/family/recreational room.
They want to corner the market for media supply to our TV/projector/etc.
How about if they combine a Tivo, a media server, a gaming console, Apple TV, and a media extender? A 1 TB drive to store the downloaded movies, the recorded TV shows, and the game info/DLC.
If they charge $600-700 for this equipment, they will sell. $500 and under would sell like hotcakes.
Right now their main competition is Sony which is trying to do the same with the PS3 and Apple which already has the best high definition codec via Apple TV (not much selection though).
If Microsoft could make their codecs the dominant codecs (from 2004, "the Blu-Ray Disc Association said Tuesday that it will require Microsoft's VC-1 video codec, based on Windows Media, to be included in the read-only BD-ROM spec") and have a convenient console/Tivo/media center, they would probably win.
As to the hard facts, from Gates's keynote speech at 2007 CES (forget about the HD-DVD part, that didn't quite work out :D ):

7:40 - TV and movies. "Big news is HD and how fast that is taking off. I wanna talk about four ways to get HD movies today on MSFT ecosystem. HD-DVD player add-on for Xbox 360. Perhaps bigger news is that HD-DVD format has been top selling format.

2nd way you can get that experience: on Media Center. 30M copies of Media Center worldwide. 3rd way is with Xbox Live Video, introduce in November, 1000 hours of content. Adding Lion's Gate to the mix for even more content."

7:42 - Demo of Xbox Live Video marketplace.

7:43 - "4th and final area, is what we call IPTV. In five markets with providers to roll out IPTV to consumers. Market will become major part of TV delivery ecosystem."

Doing demo of Microsoft IPTV system.

7:44 - IPTV running on an Xbox 360!

7:45 - Demo is running on Xbox, using Xbox dashboard to toggle between live TV and games.

"I want to point out that Xbox 360 allows partners to differentiate themselves. Available THIS year, by holiday 2007."

Robbie is wrapping up part about connected entertainment.

7:48 - Robbie walks off stage. Bill is back once more. "Our ambition is to give you connected experiences 24 hours a day. Whatever it is, we want you to have the info you're interested in.

Cruzader

Banned
why would MS put 1TB on an Xbox? The most they would put would be ~500GB at most and charge you a leg and an arm for 1TB just like they charging >$100 for 60GB...LOL

AmMortal

Banned
Physical representation of this 1 TB Storage:

id4newyork.jpg

Dyno

Storage aside, we will certainly have the option to buy a new generation of X-Box in the year 2010.

2010... Such a science-fictiony date, don't you think?

hc2

Hero said:
:lol

Really?

As of today, a high definition Tivo is around $250, a high definition wireless media player/server such as the Linksys KiSS 1600 is around $500, and a high definition gaming console is at $300. So yes a $600 combination would sell.

ThatHurt

I work at MS and trust me.. unless they are on the team they know nothing about whats coming. That would be like me saying I know what Bungie's next game is going to be.
(I think I do actually)

Most MS employees know rumors they hear from other employees that others saw on some forum.

I have personally heard 6 corex2 processor, dx 11 vid card with 1gb shared ram, bluray hd-dvd combo (hd-dvd for games bluray for movies) drive, 100% BC but no TB drive yet..

Ill probably hear that tomorrow:lol

Hero

hc2 said:
As of today, a high definition Tivo is around $250, a high definition wireless media player/server such as the Linksys KiSS 1600 is around $500, and a high definition gaming console is at $300. So yes a $600 combination would sell.

By that logic, shouldn't the PS3 have sold 'like hot cakes' at its launch price?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Apparently this rumor is back (the 1 Terabyte hard drive part, not the new console part) and from Tech Radar this time. They also linked to this thread to point out this rumor has been around for a while, so I thought I'd post it here.

Tech Radar said:
A whopping one terabyte hard drive is rumoured to be in development for the next iteration of Microsoft's Xbox 360 console.

The increased capacity hard drive is rumoured to be launched at the same time with as Project Natal.

It is still unclear whether or not a Natal-equipped Xbox 360 will be released in 2010, with outspoken Microsoft boss Steve Ballmer recently backpedalling and apologising for misleading comments relating to the mooted new console.

Industry analysts have identified the limited storage space of the current Xbox 360 range as a major feature holding the tech back right now, particularly with the rapid developments in movies and games on demand services via Xbox Live.

"I don't see the timing between new release and digital download being a function of anything other than hard drive sizes," analyst Michale Pachter told GamesIndustry.biz. "I think as soon as we have large hard drives - think the rumoured Project Natal 'new' Xbox 360 with a terabyte of storage in 2010 - we'll have day-and-date downloads."

Retailer woes

Of course, such rumours have been doing the rounds on forums such as the massively popular NeoGaf for some time now. Yet it is only with the imminent games on demand service set to launch later this summer that they are now gaining traction.

Discussing Microsoft's new games on demand offering (due in August) Wedbush Morgan's Michael Pachter also told GI.biz: "While retailers may baulk at the possibility of day-and-date downloads, I don't see too many refusing to carry Microsoft product in retaliation."

Pachter adds: "Should a retailer boycott Microsoft, I think that the full force of the publishers would be brought to bear on that retailer, and they would find themselves starved for product."

TechRadar has contacted Microsoft UK and a number of leading UK games retailers for further comment.
Source: http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/rumour-xbox-360-to-get-one-terabyte-hdd--610708

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Well, 1TB 2.5inch HDD is going to be released in 2010 by Seagate or Fujitsu so I guess you can work out a timeline around that...

test_account

XP-39C²
In my opinion, 2010 seems a bit early for the next Xbox console to come out, especially when Shane Kim (i think it was him at least? But please correct me if i am wrong) said something like that they were going for a 10 year life-cycle for the Xbox 360. Of course, it is possible to still support and sell the Xbox 360 even if a new Xbox comes out, Sony is both supporting and selling the PS2 and the PS3 for example, but i still think that 2010 is a bit early for a new Xbox console, but who knows? :) I think it shall be interesting to see :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
test_account said:
In my opinion, 2010 seems a bit early for the next Xbox console to come out, especially when Shane Kim (i think it was him at least? But please correct me if i am wrong) said something like that they were going for a 10 year life-cycle for the Xbox 360. Of course, it is possible to still support and sell the Xbox 360 even if a new Xbox comes out, Sony is both supporting and selling the PS2 and the PS3 for example, but i still think that 2010 is a bit early for a new Xbox console, but who knows? :) I think it shall be interesting to see :)
They mean the next revision of the Xbox 360, not the next Xbox console.

Walshicus

Cheeto said:
Christ, a 1TB drive would cost, what...like $1250 if it was xbox branded?
Come on man it was worth a chuckle the first time it was posted, but damn.

On the subject, 360 HDD costs aren't really in proportion to their actual size, but rather to their ranking in offered products. For instance the 120Gb now isn't too much more expensive than the 20Gb launched at. They have price buckets, not a per Gb mulitplier.

AppleBlade

Jeezus you guy are so ignorant with the 1TB drive thing. The cheapest 1TB drive on newegg is 75 dollars. Microsoft charges more for their proprietary drive because they can, not because they have to. It's not like Microsoft has their hard-drives made at some magic super expensive hard-drive factory.

Personally, I think this rumor isn't true but I do think the consoles that replace this gen probably will have hard-drives around that size. Digital Distribution requires it that is where the video game industry is headed.

_RT_

Out of curiosity....
Wouldn't developers want Sony and Microsoft to be dropping new consoles around the same time?

I've got to think that it would just get expensive to make games that utilize the power of a new system and then have to use time to port it to the older system.
It just seems that Microsoft is pushing hard to get this new system out and I wonder if people are ready to spend the money on it.

I don't know. I guess my post isn't really that thought out.

I know people talk about this "1 system" idea and I'm sure Microsoft would want to be that one, but I don't see people going for it and as a result I don't see developers supporting the effort.

Eh. Maybe I just need my coffee.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
How much would this cost if released? I don't think I'd upgrade as my ELITE still has a little over 100GB left but still. For comparison I just seen some 750GB 2.5" drives for PS3 at around 100.

_RT_ said:
Out of curiosity....
Wouldn't developers want Sony and Microsoft to be dropping new consoles around the same time?

Eh. Maybe I just need my coffee.
I really hope they aren't thinking about releasing too soon. They are more in of the leader this cycle and to see them come out first would be wrong.

Coffee yes, I am having a cup right now.

Ramenman

You know, if we're going to make this "1TB hard drive Summer Rumor" a tradition, we might as well make a new thread every year.

I HATE BUMPS D:

xabre

Banned
With flash prices dropping I wonder if they get put a 128gb solid state drive in the next xbox for an affordable cost? Come to think of it a 1tb hard drive is probably best as storage requirements next gen will be much more demanding.

3rdman

Reading the OP, it appears to be referring to a redesign for 2010 with a die. I can see the 1TB drive coming to fruition in the next real system as that one (probably) will be made with digital download as the main way of purchase.

Perhaps the rumors the OP heard were merely a combination of redesign/new system ideas being batted around...or he's full of it. Who knows...

MrVargas said:
Jeezus you guy are so ignorant with the 1TB drive thing. The cheapest 1TB drive on newegg is 75 dollars. Microsoft charges more for their proprietary drive because they can, not because they have to. It's not like Microsoft has their hard-drives made at some magic super expensive hard-drive factory.
Those are 3.5" drives. 2.5" 1TB drives don't exist yet, and they're probably going to be around $200-300 when they ship. By late 2010 they might be reasonably affordable (<$150), but not cheap enough to bundle with a Natal 360 SKU if they want to keep the price low.

xabre said:
With flash prices dropping I wonder if they get put a 128gb solid state drive in the next xbox for an affordable cost? Come to think of it a 1tb hard drive is probably best as storage requirements next gen will be much more demanding.
Yeah, a hard drive is more likely. SSD prices are dropping pretty rapidly, but the capacities aren't expanding quickly enough to catch up with higher capacity hard drives in the next couple of years.

I heard from my friend, who is Bill Gates, that the Xbox 720 will have eleventy billion graphics! ELEVENTY BILLION GRAPHICS YOU GUYS!!!1

Blueblur1

I feel that a 500GB HDD is more likely to be released if Microsoft is going to release a bigger HDD for the 360. 500GB is massive and only a handful of people would probably come close to filling it up.

kodt

Banned
If they want to move towards digital distribution I don't see how anything less than 1TB could even be considered.

FrankT

Not sure if related but my latest OXM says in the rumor section this month "that a bigger hard drive is inevitable and so is the price."

Sysgen

DeaconKnowledge said:
So...wouldn't this make the 360 even bigger? TB drives aren't exactly small right now.

I sold it a while ago but I'm sure I stuck a 3.5" drive into the back of my PS2. Here is a 1 TB for $90 retail. In mass quantities how much would it cost MS by Fall 2010?

McHuj

I wonder if there is a slim version of the xbox if they would change the form factor of the hard drive to accommodate 3.5 inch drives and perhaps make it plugin and internal. Then a 1 TB drive could be a lot cheaper. New Egg the other day had some for around $80.

I don't see how they can make the xbox thinner and keep the current hard drives. I guess they could shorten the length of the box and maybe even the depth so it's more like a brick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom