• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Endless Space |Intel Thread| 4X Space Strategy by ex-Ubi/EA devs

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
New patch is live? The outer reaches of the cosmos beckons me...

edit: how big is said patch?

Yup. It updated everything when I tried to start up the game. Patch is 568MB.

Ran into my first new bug. After the update my in game settings were all set back to the defaults which is understandable, however after exiting the game it had reset my desktop resolution to 1024x768 as well. Kinda odd.

Aselith

Does trading function in this game? I unlocked the tech for Dust trafing and whatnot and it didn't give me the option. Pretty sure I was at peace. Also, how do trade routes work?

Does trading function in this game? I unlocked the tech for Dust trafing and whatnot and it didn't give me the option. Pretty sure I was at peace. Also, how do trade routes work?

Trading function you have to use through the Diplomacy screen.

It allows you to trade dust for the other race's tech/systems etc..

jaaz

I don't know if this has been said already, but this looks and sounds a whole lot like:

Spemin-1.jpg

gotee12

Is the ability to retrofit your ships working yet? I assume retrofitting is the process of upgrading ships with newer parts but in unable to do it. I haven't found anything in the tech trees that alludes to it. The only hint I get is the mouse over for the retrofit button which says that I can only do this while in my own system (which I am).

Is the ability to retrofit your ships working yet? I assume retrofitting is the process of upgrading ships with newer parts but in unable to do it. I haven't found anything in the tech trees that alludes to it. The only hint I get is the mouse over for the retrofit button which says that I can only do this while in my own system (which I am).

I've done it numerous times, I wasn't aware there was a problem?

Provided I'm in my own system, I can go to the ship management screen and Retrofit from there every time, no problem.

Could be a bug if you can't do it I guess?

Hari Seldon

Holy shit just saw this thread! My co-op crew is currently playing Sins Rebellion Beta, how does this game compare? Does it have co-op?

Edit: Fuck it, not waiting for a response. I'm such a sucker for strategy games lol. Bought.

Aselith

Holy shit just saw this thread! My co-op crew is currently playing Sins Rebellion Beta, how does this game compare? Does it have co-op?

Edit: Fuck it, not waiting for a response. I'm such a sucker for strategy games lol. Bought.

It's like GalCiv but with a nicer interface other than the tech tree which seems like a clusterfuck to me. I bought it and I'm really, really enjoying it. There's a bunch of variables that planets can have so that there is a ton of variety in planet types.

Definite buy even in alpha.

You may have made my mistake which is thinking you can retrofit any ship of any type with the same chassis. You can only retrofit by picking the same type, like Thor type that you named and set up say, and then modifying that to change the mods on it. You will then be able to retrofit any Thor vessels to your new Thor mk2 config.

gotee12

Ohhh...

So to retrofit a destroyer, you'd need to create a brand new destroyer, name it something else and then retrofit you're original destroyer to the newly created one?

I assumed you could just upgrade individually parts for already create designs.

Aselith

Ohhh...

So to retrofit a destroyer, you'd need to create a brand new destroyer, name it something else and then retrofit you're original destroyer to the newly created one?

I assumed you could just upgrade individually parts for already create designs.

No, if you have Destroyer named Thor you go into the ship creation and pick the ship from the list then down in the bottom right of the ship picture will be a button that says modify. Click that and make your changes and when you save the design it will be saved as Thor 2.
You can then retrofit anything that was a Thor to the new design.

gotee12

No, if you have Destroyer named Thor you go into the ship creation and pick the ship from the list then down in the bottom right of the ship picture will be a button that says modify. Click that and make your changes and when you save the design it will be saved as Thor 2.
You can then retrofit anything that was a Thor to the new design.
Thanx for the help.

Thanx for the help.

Also: When you click on the upgrade/modify button and are brought to screen that displays the loadout options, there is a button there to perform an auto-upgrade. Since I'm lazy and have no idea what would be an optimized load out, I just use that. The only thing I've manually changed is adding 1 missile battery to my United Empire Defenders. It helps them a bit.

A question, friends. At what point, if at all, do you accept an Open Borders request from neighbouring empires?

Interested to read peoples' thoughts and views on that one.

gotee12

I accept open borders every time.

In my experience, these games rarely have AI that behave consistently. Usually I have an empire/nation/etc. befriend me one turn only to go traitor and declare war later on in the same game (and sometimes I make decisions that encourage the war declarations). Open borders give me the ability to closely watch the development (diplomatically/commercially/militarily) of an empire as I progress through the game.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I don't accept open borders with anyone, but that's partially because I stick with a perpetual state of cold war with everyone so I never get the option for open borders. There just isn't enough incentive to play nice with the AI at this point and it leaves me free to waltz a stack into enemy territory at any time I want for "scouting" purposes.

I haven't played a match since the recent update so I don't know if blockades will stop people with open borders from coming through. If it does, I'd be tempted to open up and then just blockade my territory so they can't get in anyway. I'm not worried about the AI flying ships around my territory as they won't see anything anyway, but I just don't like watching all those scout ships flying through my space. It bugs me more than it should. :/

I should probably step the game up to hard since pretty much every race is hilariously broken right now.

Good stuff, folks. I'm generally a "You Sophons are alright, but not right now." kinda guy.

You guys saw the unveiling of the new race, the Amoeba, right?

qmKT0.jpg

RpHvZ.jpg

RGXal.jpg

oDYmG.jpg

The Amoeba is the oldest known race in the Endless Space universe after the sentient mineral species known as the Harmony. Evolving from a very simple single-celled organism on a planet without a molten core and therefore no plate tectonics and little to no evolutionary adaptation, the Amoeba simply evolved slowly, over time, growing and developing their communal knowledge.

Donos

I'm scared to buy this. I'm only 30 hours into Skyrim and BF3 multi has all my playtime atm. Max Payne 3 (PC) is around the corner too.
If i buy Endless Space, it will suck all my time away ("just one more round" LOL). If i only could be a student again...
GAF please tell me the game is shit... guys... guys ?

Edit: Fuck it. I'm buying this now and will put it in backlog mode. I'm broke, but well...

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the heads-up. For those who haven't voted, the current poll is for the Amoeba faction logo and a new gameplay feature.
If you prepurchased on Steam, is there some way on that website to register it so you get the points? Sorry if this is obvious and I just missed it.

kafiend

If you prepurchased on Steam, is there some way on that website to register it so you get the points? Sorry if this is obvious and I just missed it.

In Steam right click the game and view cd key - copy it.

Login Here - http://www.amplitude-studios.com/

Heres the procedure from then - I grabbed it from the forum.

...either log in or click on your account name.

You will be greeted with the G2G account balance and the option to redeem your G2G code. (note to devs change the info there to mean Game CD Code input.)

Go to the steam library and right click on the game. Go to CD keys. Click copy to clipboard, then go back to the G2G code input and paste the code in with ctrl v and submit.

Guys, bit late on updating this one...but new faction announced! I never thought something would pry me away from the United Empire, but bring on the Sowers!

One of the few that were directly created by the Endless, The Sowers are a mechanical race. They were first engineered by the Virtual Endless as tools to develop the planet on which they had been placed – a barren rock lacking any sort of breathable atmosphere. It took them thousands of years to do so, during which time they created thousands more of themselves to assist in the operation.

When their orders were finally fulfilled they were the sole entities on a beautiful planet; the Virtual Endless for whom they had prepared this world had disappeared. Lacking further commands, and yet being numerous and highly advanced, they merged all of their resources of AI and Dust to pull together as a single brain and consider what they should do next. What they came up with was "The Calling."

Having been created by the Endless to pacify and prepare a planet, they reasoned, there must be a need to do so for other planets. The role that the Sowers chose for themselves is to continue this effort on all the planets they come across – to cross the galaxy, preparing planets with the communications infrastructures, transport systems, and energy production needed so that it is ready for the day that the Virtual Endless return.

Carcetti

Sounds great! This game really has a style of its own and each of the races sounds interesting. Most space 4Xs just tend to ape MoO races with imagination at all.

Goddamn, outside of issues with diplomacy (which will get fixed, nice to know), this is looking to be my GOTY.

It's not overwhelming to the point of OCD and just provides a nice mid-strategic experience. All my grievances have been addressed or at least illuminated on the Amplitude boards, so just looking forward to the next update.

Will definitely try out the Sowers whenever they get added!

Walshicus

I really want to see a Victoria II style research system; individual items you can select, but 90% of the effect comes from "inventions" which have their own probabilities for activation varying by a number of other parameters (government type etc.).

I really want to see a Victoria II style research system; individual items you can select, but 90% of the effect comes from "inventions" which have their own probabilities for activation varying by a number of other parameters (government type etc.).

That'd be great.

I personally have always wanted to see a more reactive tech advancement; catastrophic failures or encounters where tech is developed in response to situations. It wouldn't govern all research, but it'd be nice to have research that wasn't so preordained.

Probably wouldn't be well-suited for something like Endless Space, but a hard sci-fi strategy like...well...if they ever made another Outpost game in the style of the original...I'd go for it. Be really interesting to be a guiding hand, rather than the one of God.

Alright, after reading the entire topic and watching the Steam video I am very interested in this game though before I jump in and pay 20€ for the Alpha it would be nice to know if the people here could tell me if the game is something for me.

To list up a few things about myself in regard of strategy games in general:

- I generally like Sci-Fi
- I never played one of these grand-strategy games before
- I loved Sins of a Solar Empire and was decent at it
- I am normally very VERY bad at most real-time RTS games like Starcraft or C&C, up to the point where I die in 10 minutes against the AI
- I was somewhat decent in Supreme Commander (atleast on LAN parties)
- the last turn based game aside from Civ I played was Heroes of Might and Magic 3 I think
- While I'm not that good at Civ I usually have alot of fun with them
- Aslong as I can take my time and think about things I'm mostly fine with strategy games
- I don't need battles to have fun

So what do you all say, would I enjoy Endless Space?

Tu101uk

Alright, after reading the entire topic and watching the Steam video I am very interested in this game though before I jump in and pay 20€ for the Alpha it would be nice to know if the people here could tell me if the game is something for me.

- I am normally very VERY bad at most real-time RTS games like Starcraft or C&C, up to the point where I die in 10 minutes against the AI
- the last turn based game aside from Civ I played was Heroes of Might and Magic 3 I think
- Aslong as I can take my time and think about things I'm mostly fine with strategy games

I say you would like it - it's all mainly turn-based like Civ. You'll have all the time in the world (galaxy?) to think about where to explore, where to expand, what to build, what to research, etc. (although if you encounter any enemy nations/pirates in a star system, usually you have to respond within a time limit) before you press the End Turn button. There's no free movement per se (until you get a certain tech), so you won't be scratching your head too much at which direction to go. There will be downtime, but if you're used to Civ or Master of Orion, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. It's not as detail-heavy as some other 4x space games, but I love the lore behind it, especially with the races (Horatio and Ameoba in particular). I say it so much, but this feels very much like a spiritual successor to Master of Orion, and I absolutely loved that series to bits (despite the poor third showing)...

The ship battles themselves will press you a bit more for time, but tactically you've got options and different phases to think about (I still haven't gotten the hang of it meself). If you're more expansionist/pacifist, you can also do what I do, and skip battles by auto-resolving them if you're confident that you'll beat the opponent (or you're confident that you'll die a gruesome death)...

I'd say try it. For the price of the game, having early access to alpha/beta builds and some influence on how the game will turn out are well worth it in my opinion.

O-O~

Good, you will very much like the atmosphere going on here.

Hmm, it's not really like Sins at all. Think Civ in space.

Nothing is really realtime in this game, outside of timed selection of actions in combat.

I think you'll get something out of ES. Stick it on easy, read a few beginner guides on the Amplitude forums or ask a few questions here, then just experiment.

I've slotted in some answers in bold, hope that helps. I think ES is definitely the right game for newbies to dip into, in regards to the 4X subset. It's not immediately overwhelming to a new player, as GalCiv2 can be. It has its quirks and figuring out optimisation of planets/industries/research isn't quite as apparent as it could be...but it has tool-tips coming out the whazoo, has a beautiful UI, battles - while hands-off - have a nice BSG flair to them (as well as the soundtrack thus far) and while diplomacy and the AI are still been worked on (devs on the forums state they've still got quite a way to go baking the diplomatic model and the AI is still at a stopgap level), it's got more than enough "game" in there, even at alpha stage.

EDIT: Ah, there you go. Good man, Tu101uk.

Thanks to both of you! That does sound indeed like quite my cup of tea so I will look if I have 20€ to spare somewhere as I already spent too much this month, else it will have to wait a week or two :p I always found a way to win in Civ-like games before and to have one set in space sounds incredibly fun.

And for game in Alpha stage everything sounds already mightily impressive and fun!

Mikeside

Thanks to both of you! That does sound indeed like quite my cup of tea so I will look if I have 20€ to spare somewhere as I already spent too much this month, else it will have to wait a week or two :p I always found a way to win in Civ-like games before and to have one set in space sounds incredibly fun.

And for game in Alpha stage everything sounds already mightily impressive and fun!

If you do end up getting it (sounds to me like you'll have a blastyblast with it) then add me on Steam (IamMikeside) and we can play once multiplayer gets added?

Goes for anyone else, too, actually.

Eternia

Don't forget that the pre-purchase discount ends this month too. I'm not entirely sure if gifts with pre-purchase bonuses work as they should but if it does, that could be another few dollars off with US pricing.

dmann

Why have I not heard about this game?!?! Seems this game came out of nowhere. I need my space 4X fix and from glancing thru this thread, it seems this game delivers the goods.

When is it out for full release? I rather play the complete game than an alpha. And I thought Legends of Pegasus was the only space 4x game coming out this year. This looks promising...

If you do end up getting it (sounds to me like you'll have a blastyblast with it) then add me on Steam (IamMikeside) and we can play once multiplayer gets added?

Goes for anyone else, too, actually.

Sure why not! :)

Don't forget that the pre-purchase discount ends this month too. I'm not entirely sure if gifts with pre-purchase bonuses work as they should but if it does, that could be another few dollars off with US pricing.

Whoa alright thanks for the warning, I will try to get it while the discount is still active.

When is it out for full release?

Summer 2012 is all that seems to be known, August was mentioned somewhere here in this thread.

dmann

Wow... $22.49 & $26.24 on steam. That's hella cheapo for a game of this magnitude. So bought! I am always willing to support these type of developers. We need more 4x games =D

Mindlog

Wow... $22.49 & $26.24 on steam. That's hella cheapo for a game of this magnitude. So bought! I am always willing to support these type of developers. We need more 4x games =D
Classy move.
2C8tx.jpg

Final days to get in on the deal of the year everybody. We need as many Emperor's as possible.

Why couldn't I have read of this game tomorrow and not today? I really want to buy it now but today is a holiday and the only place that sells Paysafe Cards on holidays is a gas station that is 6km away and it's almost 30°C outside. :(

On another note, I decided I will be getting this tomorrow! :D

JoseJX

So, I've been watching this thread for a while, but unwilling to jump in until I had a day free to spend on it. 7 hours of gaming later and I'm glad I did, this is basically crack.

Great game, a little slow to unfold, but it has that "one more turn" aspect that all good games in this genre have. I'm glad I bought it!

dmann

So, I've been watching this thread for a while, but unwilling to jump in until I had a day free to spend on it. 7 hours of gaming later and I'm glad I did, this is basically crack.

Great game, a little slow to unfold, but it has that "one more turn" aspect that all good games in this genre have. I'm glad I bought it!

I spent a whole afternoon on it, and 5 hours later I was left defeated. Played large galaxy map with 5 AI's on normal and I absolutely got crushed. The AI left me with one star system and there were three different computer fleets heading my way, I raged quit afterwards.

Diplomacy appears to be broken, understandable since this is still Alpha. Despite my defeat, I enjoyed every moment of it. If this game is this good and polished in this early state, I can only imagine the 4x greatness that will entail once it's finally release. Thanks NeoGAF for bringing this game to my attention. $26 well spent =D

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I've been eyeballing this game for about two weeks, and finally decided to grab it. I have no idea what I am doing. I probably shouldn't have skimmed the tutorial. Game looks slick as hell, though. Eager to give this a proper shot real soon.

Mindlog

Yeah, it may take some getting used to. I just played half of one game and I said, 'Yes, this is what I wanted.' I'm patiently waiting for final release. I'll probably be gifting a few copies to family before Thursday.

Top Bottom