• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, you got an Xbox one X ? Share your noise level

I can't hear it, it's super quiet. I play with headphones on so my TV is always muted and I still can't hear it when I take my headphones off.

petrus91

Mine is one of the loud ones, unfortunately. It makes a sound like wind blowing forcefully through a window when the system gets pushed. I am debating sending it in for repair.

Don't pay attention to the overall noise since the camera is quite close to the system. I can't hear the normal drone during gameplay. Listen for the "whoosh" of air at 1:18 and at 3:20.

https://youtu.be/GqCozmM-Ako

Nah mate, that's normal. There is some coil whine in any unit, some more than others.
For example, CoD: WW2 produces the most coil whine while other games like D2, Wolfenstein 2, FIFA, GTA are absolutely silent.
I don't have AC:O so I can't check that out, but sometimes it's ok if the fan spins faster for a few moments. :)

Silent? No noise? I don't know if I buy that. I don't know how to upload and share a recording I did of mine at lunch with my phone inches from the machine but it does have a typical low fan cooling hum. I play with my sound low, have sensitive ears and can hear sitting way back on my couch. Again not saying anyone is lying but silent? The thing has to cool so a fan and electronics have to make some noise.

I have the Scorpio. I also notice the fan rev up and down occasionally when playing COD with full HDR and all.

I also think claims of complete silence have to be hyperbole, a noisy room or less sensitive ears. My original PS4 made a little bit of noise even when it was off. Not in rest mode. Off. Coils whine and fans whir, it's a fact of electronics.

PaNaMa

Banned
Honestly wish there was a way to force the fan to stay more active. Like to always be at 25% minimum when gaming, and scale up according temp. I prefer having control over my cooling.

theDeeDubs

Regular edition: Virtually silent like my original XBO. My S is louder. Can't hear it from where I'm sitting, and I can't say that about my S, Pro, or OG PS4.

MrBenchmark

Can’t hear it at all next to my HTPC that only has 1 120mm fan. Only system I have I can hear over it is my Pro.

uOHQPSK.jpg

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I said it before and say it again. THERE IS NO WAY THIS SYSTEM IS COMPLETELY SILENT. If it is then I don't know what to believe anymore.

Yours sounds like mine basically> I was so close to doing an advanced exchange but decided to say no. I don't want to return a working scorpio for a refurbed unit which may not be a scorpio and possibly be damaged, scratched and worse than what I have.

Also thought about returning to Best Buy as I have until Tuesday but with it being opened I don't think I would get a refund and only an exchange for a non scorpio.

In the end, don't worry about it.
Outside of when it's installing from a disc, mine makes practically zero noise, or at the very least so little noise that the tv overpowers it. Maybe when I get home I can try and record it.

//DEVIL//

Video recorded from my phone to capture how much coil whine and fan noise can be heard when near the Xbox One X. I started on the dashboard, then loaded Gears of War 4 (0:33), and finally muted the TV (1:20).

https://youtu.be/RtnRyOEbVBk

first of all , you are blocking the place where the sound come from. the vents.

also, don't keep your console like this. you will burn it .you need a stand

and I couldn't hear anything from that video. and mainly due to the phone or video recording. wasn't very clear.

Edit: nvm there is a stand. just how old your phone is mate ? lol.

anyway I still couldn't hear anything. but you need to play Gears 4 in visual mode for a while. when you are in an open area, with some effects, that's when my fan kicks in a lil

Aggie CMD

and I couldn't hear anything from that video. and mainly due to the phone or video recording. wasn't very clear.

Exactly. You can't here anything. I had to turn my ceiling fan off because the down draft was louder than the Xbox.

The phone is an HP Elite X3 running Windows 10 Mobile. It is about 12 months old.

//DEVIL//

I just tested my console same place . And it's also quite with no sound as yours
But if you leave it for 10 20 mins there on the title screen. Fan will increase a lil :)

But not to an extreme audable sounds, then the fan will kick back in

Here is the first 10 minutes of my video

https://youtu.be/IcWbc0d-hY8

After 15 minutes it sounds like this and it stays like this

https://youtu.be/-6E-M7H4AWk

Not very loud and at all. Keep in mind this is a heavy game and muted tv and so close to the system . If I am 2 meters far from it I can't hear anything .

However. In some parts during game play. The fan kicks to another higher level for few seconds before it goes back to this

//DEVIL//

My 3rd replacement unit in CoD:WW2.

https://youtu.be/Q3ucq1hHc6s

Same as previous two.
Dude . All of them has it. One game push it coil whine more Than others. Specially if it's enhanced game . Mine make a sound when it's on Halo 5 Main menu. But doesn't know gears and so on. It really depends on the game .

Coil whine isn't really a defect per say as long as you don't hear it while you are far from the console of tv sound is on.

Mine is one of the loud ones, unfortunately. It makes a sound like wind blowing forcefully through a window when the system gets pushed. I am debating sending it in for repair.

Don't pay attention to the overall noise since the camera is quite close to the system. I can't hear the normal drone during gameplay. Listen for the "whoosh" of air at 1:18 and at 3:20.

https://youtu.be/GqCozmM-Ako

Exactly the same here. Been on Microsoft chat and they are doing an Advanced Replacement. Judging by the briefness of the chat and the swift outcome, I would suggest that you do the same.

Played this breathtaking AC straight for 4 hours..not a damnn sound, played Wolfie 2, same..it's scary sometimes how quiet it is..but most importantly, how Xbox team pulled this off for $500 hunnit.

knerl

Dude . All of them has it. One game push it coil whine more Than others. Specially if it's enhanced game . Mine make a sound when it's on Halo 5 Main menu. But doesn't know gears and so on. It really depends on the game .

Coil whine isn't really a defect per say as long as you don't hear it while you are far from the console of tv sound is on.

Simply not true. Coil whine while being most common in GPUs and PSUs that are being put under really heavy load while pushing out a lot of frames is not present in every copy. While it can be hard to combat it is very possible to make equipment that are virtually free from it. Even high-end gear that manages to spit out a couple of hundred frames in modern games. It is generally down to either bad luck, poor PCB design, cheap components or possibly faulty components where the whining is a sign of them dying.

I've had several PSUs and GPUs over at least 14 years where copies of the same brand and model were like night and day in this regard. Had to replace my old GTX 970s (from both msi, asus, gigabyte, evga) about four-five times before I got one w/o coil whine and boy was it worth it in the end. Most of them were shit even in a sound proofed chassis at rather low framerates.

Rule of thumb. As long as you only hear it while having your ear really close or actually up against the equipment in question it's ok. In short. Not all of them have it. They also come with it at varying degrees.

knerl

Played this breathtaking AC straight for 4 hours..not a damnn sound, played Wolfie 2, same..it's scary sometimes how quiet it is..but most importantly, how Xbox team pulled this off for $500 hunnit.

It's too bad there aren't a lot of exclusives for it. Most games available on it I have on PC.
Really itching to get one for all Halo games, but it's not really worth it just for those.
Sounds and seems like they really did a good job with One X. "Wolfie 2" on PS4 Pro made me want to throw the shit out of the window.

petrus91

Simply not true. Coil whine while being most common in GPUs and PSUs that are being put under really heavy load while pushing out a lot of frames is not present in every copy. While it can be hard to combat it is very possible to make equipment that are virtually free from it. Even high-end gear that manages to spit out a couple of hundred frames in modern games. It is generally down to either bad luck, poor PCB design, cheap components or possibly faulty components where the whining is a sign of them dying.

I've had several PSUs and GPUs over at least 14 years where copies of the same brand and model were like night and day in this regard. Had to replace my old GTX 970s (from both msi, asus, gigabyte, evga) about four-five times before I got one w/o coil whine and boy was it worth it in the end. Most of them were shit even in a sound proofed chassis at rather low framerates.

Rule of thumb. As long as you only hear it while having your ear really close or actually up against the equipment in question it's ok. In short. Not all of them have it. They also come with it at varying degrees.
The point is actually this.
I play on a monitor, I sit maybe 70 cm from my console.
If I play with my headphones I can’t hear a thing, of course. Problem is when I play with the stereo speakers of my monitor. I can clearly hear the buzzing sound of coil whine, especially with some games.
That is a problem I *never* had with my One S. The noise from that console was steady across all games, wasn’t actually annoying at all. Much much less than any PS4/PS4P I ever had.
Some people just say it’s damn quiet, as of now my Pro is substantially less “painful” to hear than my X.
That’s the main point I’ve been prefering Xbox across the generation. I will talk to MS, otherwise I’m really not seeing myself playing that much on One X actually. :(

It's too bad there aren't a lot of exclusives for it. Most games available on it I have on PC.
Really itching to get one for all Halo games, but it's not really worth it just for those.
Sounds and seems like they really did a good job with One X. "Wolfie 2" on PS4 Pro made me want to throw the shit out of the window.

If it had PS4’s exclusives it would be the best console of all time, for me.

The tech in the box is undeniably impressive and the current gold standard for cost efficiency

Halabane

long plays of forza 7 with a 4k tv and not a whisper.

I have looked at some of the folks pictures or videos that are having issues. I can't tell for sure but if you have a wall behind it make sure you are giving it plenty of space to vent that hot air out. It's not only the intake but also the output needs space to blow the heat away. Not saying that is the issue but I have noticed since I moved all my consoles into a more 'free space' area I have no issues with sound...even old stuff like original ps3.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Swbf2 gave my box a workout last night. I actually heard a small amount of noise during a loading screen.

knerl

The point is actually this.
I play on a monitor, I sit maybe 70 cm from my console.
If I play with my headphones I can’t hear a thing, of course. Problem is when I play with the stereo speakers of my monitor. I can clearly hear the buzzing sound of coil whine, especially with some games.
That is a problem I *never* had with my One S. The noise from that console was steady across all games, wasn’t actually annoying at all. Much much less than any PS4/PS4P I ever had.
Some people just say it’s damn quiet, as of now my Pro is substantially less “painful” to hear than my X.
That’s the main point I’ve been prefering Xbox across the generation. I will talk to MS, otherwise I’m really not seeing myself playing that much on One X actually. :(

At 70cm you should barely hear any coil whine for it to be at an acceptable level. At a maximum. I'd get it replaced.

knerl

While I do believe some people saying this have worse hearing and are less prone to notice certain frequencies you don't know that he doesn't have a really quiet unit. Shit like this needs to stop. Problem here is that the statement needs context. At what distance, during what game, which graphical profile, for how long, using headphones etc.

LukeUK

Neo Member
I barely hear mine. Been playing Forza 7, barely audible. I've had the OG Xbox One and the S, both emitted an annoying noise, ticking or coil whine. My X has only made a fan noise (ramping up in a menu) when playing BF2, and interestingly I only hear a slight high pitched coil whine in the BF2 loading screen. Every other game I've played has been practically silent. I'm extremely impressed with it tbh.

Tall Paul

Replacement console (advanced exchange) received today and left in the bin by UPS which is nice! Just setting it up but got sent a standard so now I have a Scorpio controller and box with a standard console but as long as it’s quiter and less like a jet fighter then all will be fine, got a few days to test it before I need to return it. Same creation date as the Scorpio Edition 3/9/17

Chronos24

Scorpio edition here. Started with it in the same place as my S in my entertainment cabinet with room on all sides but not an open back, and it got fairly "loud". I raised the shelf to line it up with the opening in the back which stretches the length of the console and it has been quiet as can be since. I've played Halo 5, The Evil Within 2, Gears 4, and watched the Insect demo. All have been as quiet as can be except the Insect demo did make the fan go noticably louder. Comparatively speaking though with my PS4 the fan noise is vastly quieter. That being said, I also have what I consider the be one of the quiet PS4 Pro's.

tommyguns

Replacement console (advanced exchange) received today and left in the bin by UPS which is nice! Just setting it up but got sent a standard so now I have a Scorpio controller and box with a standard console but as long as it’s quiter and less like a jet fighter then all will be fine, got a few days to test it before I need to return it. Same creation date as the Scorpio Edition 3/9/17

Do they send you a new console in box or what exactly?

My console is very loud at different times. Dishonored 2 had it going up and down and up. And then loud bursts of air etc. bad feeling that this console I have is messed up.

Or do I risk going to GameStop and exchanging. (Again, this is my second console as the first was defective.)

Lettuce

Bf2 (I'm assuming battlefront 2) is the only game that makes my console fan a little audiable but it isn't every time.

nah mines all the time after playing for like 20 minutes, strange thing is it will rev up and down now and again even when sitting on a menu screen

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
nah mines all the time after playing for like 20 minutes, strange thing is it will rev up and down now and again even when sitting on a menu screen
What kind of setup you rocking?

In terms of where is the console placed?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Have it in a stacked entertainment center in laid down position, theres a good 3 inches space all around the console so ventilation shouldn't be an issue

Is the back of the unit (the entertainment center) closed or open?

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've only had mine for a few days. I haven’t heard the fan, but it sits on an open shelf across the room. That said I'm only playing at 1080p right now. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Top Bottom