• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have microtransactions just been removed from SW Battlefront 2? No, I’m serious...

Man, some people have some -severe- hate going into this.

It looks like they're responding. It's worth giving them the benefit of the doubt.

They are only "listening" because there's plenty of backlash and negative press from every media. And Disney probably told them to fix it not wanting to damage their brand.

They do not deserve any benefit of the doubt because if they were sincere at all, there wouldn't be any of this pay2win bullshit in the first place.

VillageBC

if this is true, I'm pretty sure this is due to Disney telling EA to fix it. I don't think Disney wants to be associated with influencing minors to gambling in its IPs.

This is kind of my thought. I was wondering when/if Disney want going to do something behind the scenes. Star Wars is Disney prize IP, I don't think they would be happy with what was happening.

ubiblu

While i'm pleased with the news and action, I question the true intent here. If it is solely to avoid the current shit show and discretely lock most players out of content to drive demand for crystals once they return, I'll be pretty pissed off.

I was always going to buy the game today, and have no issues with loot crates when they don't provide genuine advantage to players (like enhanced aim assist...are you fucking serious??), but i'm definitely managing my expectations here.

I imagine they weren't but once it started getting out of hand they probably stepped in. I wonder if they'll be more careful about the Star Wars license in the future.

With the talent out there I was disappointed Star Wars was EA dev teams only, we could of had a better line up of games by now in different genres.

EDarkness

With the talent out there I was disappointed Star Wars was EA dev teams only, we could of had a better line up of games by now in different genres.

My guess is that they'll do the Marvel licensing thing going forward. Where they get one company to do one game featuring a character or characters. So that way different companies can make Star Wars games. I think it makes the most sense in the long run. Heh, honestly, I would love for them to revive the Rogue Leader game on the NS.

Peroroncino

EA must be desperate... good, armchair developers ftw!

good-good-gif-20.gif

Blam

Nah the fuck EA. Off like gone. Not disabled.

We don't want it back at a later date.

We don't want it ever.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Coming back later?
How about never.
oh EA get fucked xD
I heard the sp campaign isnt even properly finished so to hell with that shit

My guess is that they'll do the Marvel licensing thing going forward. Where they get one company to do one game featuring a character or characters. So that way different companies can make Star Wars games. I think it makes the most sense in the long run. Heh, honestly, I would love for them to revive the Rogue Leader game on the NS.

Yeah that would be great, just recently got a Switch too :)

A Star Wars RPG by cd projekt red...

cage_0.jpeg

if this is true, I'm pretty sure this is due to Disney telling EA to fix it. I don't think Disney wants to be associated with influencing minors to gambling in its IPs.

Yup, I'm confident this is what happened. I bet EA would have been happy taking the bad PR on the chin if it meant making a ton of money off microstransactions. If it were their own IP, they'd still be charging ahead with this. But I bet Disney intervened, as all of this reflects badly on them.

EDIT: Holy fuck, people here are actually praising EA for this. Don't applaud a conpany who were willing to fuck people over and only decided not to because they wouldn't have been able to get away with it.

VillageBC

So they turned off in game currency leaving you only 4500hrs of grinding to unlock content. Then they will turn it on later and say 'here's a shortcut to unlock items, only a few real dollars.'

EA is predatory towards it's customers, and proves it routinely.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Turned off temporarily to quiet backlash. Will be turned back on after Holiday sales.
Or it'll be turned back on once the cosmetic system they're working on is ready to be implemented. Nobody really knows but everyone likes to act like they do.

I'm hoping it's the latter, but you never know these days.

autoduelist

They are only "listening" because there's plenty of backlash and negative press from every media. And Disney probably told them to fix it not wanting to damage their brand.

They do not deserve any benefit of the doubt because if they were sincere at all, there wouldn't be any of this pay2win bullshit in the first place.

Of course they're listening to complaints. That's what listening -means-. We don't need some mythical definition of 'sincerity', we need them to listen to complaints and respond appropriately. It sounds like they are.

No matter how hard you try to paint it as a bad thing, it's a good thing.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Coming back later?
How about never.
oh EA get fucked xD
I heard the sp campaign isnt even properly finished so to hell with that shit
It ends on a cliffhanger and there's some free single player DLC coming out, but as usual the campaign is awful and I wouldn't bother. The multiplayer is the meat and potatoes.

SRTtoZ

I ordered the game a few hours before the announcement because I wanted something new and shiny to play on my new 4k tv and ps pro. Very happy with this.

ape2man

It ends on a cliffhanger and there's some free single player DLC coming out, but as usual the campaign is awful and I wouldn't bother. The multiplayer is the meat and potatoes.

giphy.gif

I WANT A AWESOME SINGLE PLAYER STARWARS GAME!!!!!
Or x-wing vs tie-fighter remake sequal whatever

And it will NOT be cosmetics, the Star Wars liscense won’t allow it — remember that everything needs to be run through Lucasarts for Star Wars “authenticity”, and they’re very protective of their IP — so you’re not going to see new suits for Darth Vader, Yoda, or Luke that you can buy.

This is a good point. Cosmetic options would be very limited, due to Disneys iron grip. We'll never see Vader wearing a Santa Claus hat or a Storm trooper with a fluro-pink blaster. I dont want the player base to get split, if they start charging us for map DLC either.

Dirty trick, people already saying they will buy the game now but dont realize its only temporary. It's a trap ! Dont fall for it.

Battlefront 2 may just be the game that gets governments to step in and regulate loot boxes.

It's made so many headlines in mainstream news (BBC, CNN) that governments of France, Belgium, Netherlands (and maybe more) are actually looking into loot boxes to see if they need to be regulated like gambling. If this happens, this could be a huge turning point to the rampant microtransactions in games.

EA's unbridled greed may change the industry for good somehow.

Fuz

Banned
Man, some people have some -severe- hate going into this.

It looks like they're responding. It's worth giving them the benefit of the doubt.

No, it's not. Not until they specify EXACTLY what they mean with:
"THE ABILITY TO PURCHASE CYSTALS IN-GAME WILL BECOME AVAILABLE AT A LATER DATE"

Since they didn't specify "only cosmetics", I'm prone to think P2W elements will come back. Maybe at reduced prices or effectiveness, but they will come back.

Battlefront 2 may just be the game that gets governments to step in and regulate loot boxes.

It's made so many headlines in mainstream news (BBC, CNN) that governments of France, Belgium, Netherlands (and maybe more) are actually looking into loot boxes to see if they need to be regulated like gambling. If this happens, this could be a huge turning point to the rampant microtransactions in games.

EA's unbridled greed may change the industry for good somehow.

Exactly

shogunduk

this is temporary until they feel like they've regained the few lost sales from this episode. then it's back to business.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Why do they say "kids game"? I'd say the argument against EA is sinking rather low for an uppercut shot at their game mechanics.

If this was rated M could this whole thing be ok? I see why it's wrong to just cycle items for cash in a shooter that'll get another installment in 2-3 years.

I somehow feel no remorse for those complaining against it just because we are complaining the way some people did over violence. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't say their reasons for scrutinizing EA are the same as mine.

MadMod

The negativity seemed really to be spiralling out of control, they knew that their "we're sorry, we have changed" speech, would not have worked again for Battlefront 3.

Seems like a good business decision for the franchise to just remove them completely and revise the whole system. (again)

Either the loss of sales/pre orders, Disney coming down on EA or the Belgium gambling authority investigation finally broke the camels back.

Yeah dont be naive, this shit will be implemented asap again. Dont doubt that for a minute EA wants to miss out on that extra cash.

It’s even stated it is coming back later but probably sooner than later. EA aint doing this for good will or for the community. They are just scared for sales right now.

Swass

Oh wow, sales seem really to have tonked.

But anyway:
"THE ABILITY TO PURCHASE CYSTALS IN-GAME WILL BECOME AVAILABLE AT A LATER DATE"
lolnope

I feel like this is going to get retooled to remove the p2w stuff.. which is why they will come back..

If EA turns them back on later with no changes they will be committing corporate suicide.

Fuz

Banned
I'm a Producer at a AAA Studio(I'm more than happy to provide proof to subreddit mods)

This is pretty clear what they're doing to anyone who works in the industry. They want to maximize their initial sales numbers to show to investors. Once the trade off is worth it(Probably 1-2 months in), they will enable the gamble boxes again because:

Everyone who was on the fence will have bought the game by now

You can't refund the game at this point

The news will have died down, and if new articles do come out, it won't be as relevant

They will already have good numbers to show investors

EA is going to royally fuck over the average gamer who doesn't have a clue how the industry works on this. This is about as deceptive as it gets.

Edit: wow I didn't expect this type of response! I feel such a sense of pride & accomplishment!

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7dhacr/eastarwars_on_twitter/dpxsirl/

Top Bottom